The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby Utilitarian » 02 Dec 2012, 16:53

Evidently the Lord of Riots took special interest in your draft *L*

(cuz seriously, wow)
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 02 Dec 2012, 17:25

Lord Hosk wrote:I want a "take this whole pack" option.

So what *did* you pick?

There's 3 options I'd consider really:
1) p1 Stabwound/Dreadbore, p2 keyrune, p3 annihilating (stick it out uin Rakdos)
2) p1 splatter p2 splatter p3 annihilating fire (move to izzet) or
3) p1 Stabwound p2 (smth off Rakdos) p3 imp (for golgari or splash black)

I would honestly probably go with 2 or 3 just have more options on p2. By the time those packs are two+ spots down they are still signalling that Rakdos is (relatively) open :(, and very little, if any of that Rakdos will wheel except for maybe an electrickery or launch party:

Pack 1 probably has either an auger spree or annihilating fire making it to drafters 4 & 5.

Pack 2 probably has a Blood Crypt or Reveller to drafters 3 & 4

Pack 3 isn't as strong but has no real reason to get _out_ of Rakdos
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Dec 2012, 17:52

I went

I went Dread bore, crypt, fire.

and cut red as hard as I could hoping to put him into golgari, Pack two I opened a Utvara Hellkite, and got passed a Jarad with a uncommon gone so he clearly wasnt into golgari. I got a little red and no black and some OK blue, then going back I opened crap and got passed ok red black and a little blue early with a Mercurial Chemister coming p3p3... went 2/1 in a swiss but got enough to pay for the next draft so thats something.

I played R b u on the back transguild and a Izzet and raktos gate.

I faced a Blue white green, a 5 color crap, I lost to a strong sylesnia with a worm and plenty of centaurs to populate. I dont think the 5 color crap was the guy next to me.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 02 Dec 2012, 19:17

So, who's excited about which guilds for Gatecrash? Simic and Gruul for me.

I wanna see what Experiment Kraj ended up turning into -_^
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 02 Dec 2012, 19:18

I thought Kraaj was killed.

Im looking forward to some boros and dimir.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 02 Dec 2012, 20:47

Trymantha wrote:I thought Kraaj was killed.

Im looking forward to some boros and dimir.

Oh come now... you don't really BELIEVE that do you? -_^
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 02 Dec 2012, 21:26

Dimir sounds fun. It's the guild I picked for my planeswalker points stuff. I don't know anything concrete about it, but blue/black with a possible focus on milling sounds like a ton of fun.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 02 Dec 2012, 21:49

Geoff_B wrote:So I got 3 M13 boosters and I pulled Battle of Wits.

When would anyone ever use that or even include it in a deck?

I read an article a while back about it. Basically you build a 250 cards deck and have enough tutor that you can pull it out of your deck and win.
^( " )^
winner!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 02 Dec 2012, 21:57

I kind of like the idea of Dimir or Orzhov at this point, but my preferred styles have shifted so radically in the last couple of months (since scars block dropped out of standard and my beautiful red burn deck was no longer viable).
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Dec 2012, 22:11

I lost so much when M12 died :( my poor shocks and elves.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 02 Dec 2012, 22:23

I miss shrine of burning rage.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 02 Dec 2012, 23:51

Lord Hosk wrote:I lost so much when M12 died :( my poor shocks and elves.

As someone who just hated Titans with a vengeance I was pretty happy to have m12 cycle out.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 03 Dec 2012, 05:31

maybe i am being a bit of a newb but can someone explain why the ravnica shocklands are worth about 10 bucks each when say other dual lands are valued so low. take golgari guildgate and overgrown tomb. both generate the same mana types and i get why overgrown tomb is better cos you can pay the 2 life and access the mana this turn. but am i missing something else that makes the shocklands so valuable.
CompletelyUnsure
First Video: Unskippable? I found this through 0Punc.

Postby CompletelyUnsure » 03 Dec 2012, 06:46

Lemegeton wrote:maybe i am being a bit of a newb but can someone explain why the ravnica shocklands are worth about 10 bucks each when say other dual lands are valued so low. take golgari guildgate and overgrown tomb. both generate the same mana types and i get why overgrown tomb is better cos you can pay the 2 life and access the mana this turn. but am i missing something else that makes the shocklands so valuable.

Having them out a turn early actually speeds up your deck alot more than you think. Another thing that makes them a little better is there type. If you look at the type line of Golgari Guildgate it is a gate card; overgrown tomb is a "swamp forest," this means it is both a swamp and a forest, allowing it to be the target of ramp and certain card effects (like Liliana's Shade)
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 03 Dec 2012, 08:05

They also count for effects that do X where X is the number of a certain basic land type.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 03 Dec 2012, 09:22

Dubious_wolf wrote:
Geoff_B wrote:So I got 3 M13 boosters and I pulled Battle of Wits.

When would anyone ever use that or even include it in a deck?

I read an article a while back about it. Basically you build a 250 cards deck and have enough tutor that you can pull it out of your deck and win.

Put a few Crumbling Sanctuaries in the deck, and either win off of Wits, or win because you effectivly have 200+ life...
@mhasko
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 03 Dec 2012, 10:14

I suppose you could also run Reliquary Tower and cards like Howling Mine and Font of Mythos and just draw massively. I suppose you'd need some way to get those cards back into your deck though, potentially. Plus then you've got an alternative win condition in milling out your opponent.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 03 Dec 2012, 12:34

Looking back at the cards that were 'leaked' a while ago for Gatecrash, there are a few things that bother me about them. The first is Dimri. The wording of his -2 seems really odd to me. "Target creature you control fights another target creature." Shouldn't it read more like "Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control?" I mean, in essence, it is trying to be prey upon really. So wouldn't they just use that wording? Or if it could include your own creatures, wouldn't it just leave out the 'another' statement? It just seems really weird to me.

Second, the Gruul guildleader's ability just seems out of character. I don't know much about Gruul, but aren't they more of an aggro and/or burn focus? His ability seems VERY Golgari to me. The last one, the burn one, seems right. But the fact that his ability sends all non-land cards to the graveyard does not. Why would the aggro guild have you throw creatures away? I can understand instants, sorceries, enchantments, and even planeswalkers to a degree. But throwing away your fighting force as well? Seems like something Golgari would do on purpose for Scavenge. Is it for mana-ramp? I'd hope not since he cost 8 mana himself, meaning you likely have more then enough at that point anyways. To feed his last ability maybe? But that still doesn't really seem right to me.

The Boros guildleader seems really weak to me. For the leader of the fighting guild she's only a 3/4? The same as a Resto? I know her ability kind of makes up for it, but I would think she'd have more power over toughness anyways.

Those are the main odd things that stood out to me. The 20 artifacts to win does too though, as does the idea behind Enter the Infinite. But I can see those making some sense. I dunno.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 03 Dec 2012, 12:47

Well enter the infinite is basically trying to be a one turn game ender it's really weird and there are lots of things that could blow it to pieces. But it could make zombies interesting.

Or laboratory maniac...
http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/ ... eid=230788
^( " )^
winner!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Dec 2012, 12:52

I understand what Enter the Infinite is supposed to be about. But the fact that it basically boils down to 'if you don't win by the end of next turn, you lose' really seems odd for a card. But I'm guessing it's meant to be a combo piece with Omniscience, allowing the player to pretty much just win the game. Turn one Black Lotus, then show and tell into omniscience, then play enter the infinite, and finally I play my entire deck for free while keeping a healthy supply of counterspells ready for me to make it to the next turn.

I doubt it was made for Labratory Maniac specifically. Enter the Infinite is unlikely to be meant for Standard in any way, and in older formats there are better ways of winning with it out.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 03 Dec 2012, 17:19

Kapol wrote:Looking back at the cards that were 'leaked' a while ago for Gatecrash, there are a few things that bother me about them. The first is Dimri. The wording of his -2 seems really odd to me. "Target creature you control fights another target creature." Shouldn't it read more like "Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control?" I mean, in essence, it is trying to be prey upon really. So wouldn't they just use that wording? Or if it could include your own creatures, wouldn't it just leave out the 'another' statement? It just seems really weird to me.

Being able to just target two of your own guys... probably will rarely come up, but sure, it's some extra options. 99% of the time you'll be playing it like Prey Upon. The "another" word is to prevent you from making a creature fight itself, as the rules when that happens are counter-intuitive (the creature deals its own power to itself, twice), so easier to just forbid it... cf Blood Feud. Prey Upon doesn't need the "another" word since the targeting restrictions mean it can't target the same creature twice.

The rest of your points, though, I don't have any particular disagreement with... and I really wouldn't be surprised if the 5 "leaked" cards all turn out to be hoaxes...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 03 Dec 2012, 17:31

CompletelyUnsure wrote:allowing it to be the target of ramp and certain card effects (like Liliana's Shade)

Farseeks are the biggie.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Dec 2012, 17:45

Ulvenwald Tracker

1G and Tap: Target creature you control fights another target creature

I think there are others as well, I just happen to have one of those right here on my desk.

That phrasing is legit.

[–]Graham_LRR
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Dec 2012, 18:06

As I said, the phrasing just seems odd to me. That's not to say I didn't understand the maning behind it (the point of another is to not allow a creature to battle itself, but I kinda think allowing it to kill/hurt itself would make sense in it's own weird way). It's just one of the things that bothered me about it, and the one I could go into beyond just 'it seems off.'

Either way we'll find out eventually.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 03 Dec 2012, 19:06

Kapol wrote:(the point of another is to not allow a creature to battle itself, but I kinda think allowing it to kill/hurt itself would make sense in it's own weird way)

Yeah, it would make sense, but like I said, the rules work weirdly in that case. Wrack with Madness, for instance, is essentially what "target creature fights itself" sounds like, except they couldn't use "fights" on that card because that's not how it works.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”