The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Drecon » 26 Mar 2013, 09:23

Lord Hosk wrote:alternate wincon standard deck, Maze, door and battle of wits, 230 card deck.

That's an awesome idea. I've got to build that.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 Mar 2013, 17:24

Why do some people take forever to play? I mean, don't get me wrong. I understand planning things out. But there's planning things out and then there's taking forever to do simple things.

For example, I was at PAX. I thought I had enough time to play a draft (had 3 1/2 hours between panels, and the theater wasn't far from the draft area). I go, start the draft, and pull VERY well. Master Biomancer was the key, but it was overall good. We start the games. I beat my opponent fairly quickly. The other two matches end. And then there was only the two players playing their round. I sat there and waited... and waited... and about an hour later I had to leave for the panel. They were on game 2. The other two who had won had played their full match, and the guy who won was waiting for the final round. So yea, they took a long time.

The worst part was that I have no doubt I would have beat whoever I'd played against out of the two of them. Hell, I'm confident I would have straight won had I had the time. The deck was fun too. I had Biovisionary and Stolen Identity in there for the fun of it (and I ALMOST pulled it off...). My deck was pretty good. At least I pulled a foil Angelic Skirmisher from my prize pack after scooping.

Also, the panel I had to leave for? The LRR panel.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 27 Mar 2013, 12:04

Also: Woo Enchantment won the community make a card. I'm stoked
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 27 Mar 2013, 14:27

Found myself with a lot of time to think today (had to fill in for our biscuit maker at the restaurant I work in, so 8 hours of monotonous manual labor) and I started thinking about the kinds of decks that will be available for the Dragon's Maze Prerelease. I'm planning to go Orzhov, but I'm guessing there won't be enough Orzhov cards in the Dragon's Maze boosters for Extort to be a really viable win-con, so the main strategy is really going to depend on the allied guild.

I also find myself wondering how multicolor Dragon's Maze will be what with significantly fewer cards and twice as many guilds as the first two sets.

I guess I'm a little terrified of how the 3 sets will play together, since I've never drafted/pooled multiple sets at once (barring one Dark Ascension - Innistrad - Innistrad draft in which I opened Sorin and was still utterly flattened). :(
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 28 Mar 2013, 11:56

I've been pretty well drawn to Orzhov myself but so far I can't see a really good way to go full on BW in block constructed without splashing.

I have been putting together a standard deck but it's really slow and more controley than I really like and pretty much relies on a ridiculous combo or Liliana to win on.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 28 Mar 2013, 12:11

looking forward to getting back to FNM tomorrow. between being away for wedding and honeymoon and then trying to sort my decks i have not been to FNM in like 2 months
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 28 Mar 2013, 21:22

So anyone see this up on Daily MTG? https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/03282013c

A one-day, 4-time event on MTGO of a phantom sealed with a grab-bag of 10 assorted packs from Magic's history. People have noted that this both takes place on April Fools Day and that the initials of the name of the event itself spells F.O.O.L.S. Basically it's an April Fools Day joke, but I guess the question is is it a "This isn't actually happening" kind of joke. The events are on MTGO right now and you can even sign up for them.

I really hope that even though it's clearly a joke, it's a joke that actually happens. It sounds incredibly fun and the payout isn't even that bad (6 packs for 3-1 and 11 for 4-0 on only a 6 ticket entry). And I'd like to think Wizards is smart enough to realize that people will be upset if they suddenly go "April Fools! No but really, this isn't actually happening".
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 28 Mar 2013, 21:40

Unhinged was also announced on April Fool's Day way back when, so it would be the first time they made an "April Fool's joke" that turned out to be real.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 28 Mar 2013, 22:31

Master Biomancer shenanigans are the best in limited. It's sheer hilarity till you then get Act of Treason'd.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 28 Mar 2013, 22:46

In my timezone, these are, in order: while I'm asleep, while I'm at work, while I'm at work, while I'm at work. :(
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 28 Mar 2013, 22:55

I'm not sure where we are on April Fools jokes that happen anyways.

"April Fools!" Ah yes you fooled me, I guess that's not really on. "No no it totally is. This is a thing" but... then you didn't really fool me did you... you just did exactly what you said you were going to do
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 29 Mar 2013, 00:51

They fooled us into thinking we were being fooled. Higher level tomfoolery is going on here

Drecon

Postby Drecon » 29 Mar 2013, 05:12

THIS IS THE MOST AWESOME THING I'VE EVER SEEN ON MTGO!!!!

Hum, sorry for that. I really, really, really want this to be true...
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 29 Mar 2013, 05:42

looks like fun. I don't know why they wouldn't go through with it; it's a phantom event, and they're giving GTC as prizes. It's appropriately costed for a phantom sealed, too.

I want to see a LRR draft or a G-draft in this format!
Wolfwood723
First Video: Poker Before Dusk

Postby Wolfwood723 » 29 Mar 2013, 06:05

So I am in my third week of drafting on MTGO. I have had to pay some money the first three times but my last two were 'free' and thanks to my wins and pulling/selling Obzedat my next two drafts are all set without paying a cent. I know that I'm not that good nor lucky to draft free forever but I'm loving the return on my investment thus far.
ObiWan Canadian on twitch and XBL
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 29 Mar 2013, 08:43

JQuill wrote:So anyone see this up on Daily MTG? https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/03282013c

A one-day, 4-time event on MTGO of a phantom sealed with a grab-bag of 10 assorted packs from Magic's history. People have noted that this both takes place on April Fools Day and that the initials of the name of the event itself spells F.O.O.L.S. Basically it's an April Fools Day joke, but I guess the question is is it a "This isn't actually happening" kind of joke. The events are on MTGO right now and you can even sign up for them.

I really hope that even though it's clearly a joke, it's a joke that actually happens. It sounds incredibly fun and the payout isn't even that bad (6 packs for 3-1 and 11 for 4-0 on only a 6 ticket entry). And I'd like to think Wizards is smart enough to realize that people will be upset if they suddenly go "April Fools! No but really, this isn't actually happening".

I think the best joke of all would be that everyone gets exactly the same cards and its for a super super powerful build. like everyone gets three black lotus and 4 jaces
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 29 Mar 2013, 08:53

OK, so I have been doing REALLY well in the just for fun room with my standard deck, so I think I am going to try the standard tournament tonight.

My deck is Red Green, entitled "Deathping"

It has 3 bramblecrush, 4 acidic slimes, 3 wolfeirs quivers, 4 Lightning Prowess half a dozen burn spells, and a bunch of death touch creatures.

What should I have in the sideboard for the current meta?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 29 Mar 2013, 09:25

Well, some form of Graveyard hate is pretty standard for the board.

Perhaps a Glaring Spotlight if you run into Hexproof Auras?
Drecon

Postby Drecon » 29 Mar 2013, 09:35

DOn't forget Skullcrack. Everyone's playing Revelation decks now (and Tusky McTuskerson is still the best card in standard).
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 29 Mar 2013, 09:58

I dont have much trouble with thragtusk as long as my deathengine is online, when they attack I ping it, then on my turn I ping the beast if I want to attack.

[–]Graham_LRR
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 29 Mar 2013, 11:58

So over at the MTGO forums, a Wizards Community Coordinator posted this in regards to the grabbag sealed thing...

"The events are a real thing you can join and play in. The fact that they say "6 BET boosters" is due to the uniqueness of the event and is a minor speed bump that came up at the last moment. It doesn't reflect what you actually get (the article has it right)."

So looks like it is the real deal. Definitely gonna try to find time to join at least one of the events. It does seem like deck-building will be crazy, 10 random packs means a ton of cards, some of which I'm sure I've never seen before. Might just have to hope for a crazy bomb or two and go from there. Or just not submit a deck at all and play with some 250 card monstrosity, that could be hilariously awful :lol:
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 29 Mar 2013, 20:17

Tinkering with an Esper Hate/Hatebears deck for modern right now.

Ghost Quarter >> Archive Trap >> Surgical Extraction/Extirpate = Combo castration on turn 1.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 29 Mar 2013, 22:32

I had a good win in a draft running Orzhov extort. 9 extort creatures and a Blind Obedience to shut things down alongside great removal, 2 grizzly spectacles, a Killing Glare and so forth.

When it rains, it pours.

Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 29 Mar 2013, 23:30

Uhg. Terrible FNM for me. 1-3-0 in standard 1-2-0 in draft.

Bleh. The standard is like whatever, I know I'm not bringing amazing decks (plus apparently FNM is very competitive at this location... Planeswalkers and Hellkites and Thragtusks everywhere) but the draft is bothersome. Seems like I never do well at FNM drafts despite having a really decent record on MTGO.
GNRC_SRNM
First Video: unskippable - blood on the sand

Postby GNRC_SRNM » 30 Mar 2013, 04:13

I'm thinking of restarting to play Magic, and specifically, of buying a box. What expansion would you recommend? I think Innistrad looks cooler than RTR or Gatecrash, but then again Innistrad is already getting old-ish...

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”