The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Lemegeton » 02 Apr 2013, 05:38

ok so since i started testing my modern deck i have run into a LOT of infinites. whats your take on them. Legitimate strategy or total dick move?
dick move gets my vote.
magic is supposed to be , IMO, about outplaying/outthinking the other guy. Infinites are for people who dont have the chops to win in a normal match
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 02 Apr 2013, 08:04

My okay Dimir deck from the draft I just lost. I think the issue is with the pilot; not the deck (though I know there are issues in the construction).
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 02 Apr 2013, 08:26

I'm pretty sure Contamintaed Ground is unplayable. I dislike Coerced COnfession too, although I've never played it, so it might be OK in a deck like this.
And the most important thing: Where are the two-drops? A deck like this needs any number of Metropolis Sprites and 2/2 rats. With this deck you will usually just get overrun by any fast deck.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 02 Apr 2013, 09:16

i also don't like contaminated ground here. it might slow your opponent down a little bit in the early turns but other than that its not great. it really only makes sense in a deck with some swampwalk creatures.r
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 02 Apr 2013, 11:21

There is exactely one swampwalk creature in the block and its in RtR - Sewer Shambler

Not a bad add to a constructed Dimir deck but there are better options.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 02 Apr 2013, 12:16

I don't think it belongs in a constructed deck, but Ground isn't awful for limited. Think about it like this, it serves the purpose of either putting your opponent back some turns, keeping them off-color, or making them think twice about casting something. It's not the best, but it's not by any means bad in limited.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 02 Apr 2013, 13:37

I actually considered the use of Contaminated Ground in a hypothetical Dimir control deck in order to turn off utility lands like Wolfrun, Drownyard, and Cavern of Souls.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 02 Apr 2013, 14:31

Last time I had an opponent play Ground against me I just kept on playing creatures and, surprise, my opponent didn't have any blockers. It was really one of the most one-sided matches I've played in this format.
If you want to play it know yourself out, but I'm claiming it's a big part of why this deck was performing badly.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 02 Apr 2013, 15:16

Lemegeton wrote:ok so since i started testing my modern deck i have run into a LOT of infinites.

What infinity comboes exist in Modern besides Melira + Persist +Sac outlet
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 02 Apr 2013, 15:51

Jenelmo wrote:
Lemegeton wrote:ok so since i started testing my modern deck i have run into a LOT of infinites.

What infinity comboes exist in Modern besides Melira + Persist +Sac outlet

The answer to this question would be very very long
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 02 Apr 2013, 16:17

That's one way to get rid of your cards, for sure! :D
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 02 Apr 2013, 17:27

Lemegeton wrote:ok so since i started testing my modern deck i have run into a LOT of infinites. whats your take on them. Legitimate strategy or total dick move?
dick move gets my vote.
magic is supposed to be , IMO, about outplaying/outthinking the other guy. Infinites are for people who dont have the chops to win in a normal match

Now I don't know what decks you are talking about here.
But if you are talking about decks like; twin, eggs or the like then I think that is a legitimate strategy as it is just how combo decks work.
You win if you can kill them before they can combo off by being fast, by disrupting them or by locking their deck down with hate.
But then I am used to playing legacy against decks like ANT, Belcher and High Tide so I think the combo decks in modern have been neutered alot
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 02 Apr 2013, 20:32

Starting to build a (relatively casual) peasant commander deck up with Imperious Perfect, elves and some elf warrior token goodness. Man I forgot how different a format it is when you only have 10 uncommons...
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Apr 2013, 07:53

Lemegeton wrote:ok so since i started testing my modern deck i have run into a LOT of infinites. whats your take on them. Legitimate strategy or total dick move?
dick move gets my vote.

Any time that someone craps on a play style in magic I always cringe, in the case of infinates it takes work to outplay your opponent. In most cases they can be broken by one spell being countered or one thing being destroyed and they are fairly obvious a turn or two before they go off.

This is the same as people who hate control decks, or agro decks or mill decks.

Whenever I see this my response is always "Come on Wizards why do you keep printing cards that support diverse play styles, My style is clearly the only valid form and anyone who beats me with a different style is a dumb looser who doesnt understand this game."

There are dozens of ways to play magic and each style of play, even land destruction, is a valid way to play that takes skill in its own way. It may be skill in deck building, skill in play or skill in knowing when to hold them and when to mull them.

If someone beats you (with the exception of people who buy $700 standard decks) its because they outplayed you in one of the stages of the game. The stages of the game arent all in the attack and first main phase.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 03 Apr 2013, 08:05

Drecon wrote:I'm pretty sure Contamintaed Ground is unplayable. I dislike Coerced COnfession too, although I've never played it, so it might be OK in a deck like this.

Contaminated ground kind of helps to alleviate the issue of having no two-drops. It keeps my opponent off mana for just long enough to get things moving. There are things that would have been better picks, though.
Drecon wrote:And the most important thing: Where are the two-drops? A deck like this needs any number of Metropolis Sprites and 2/2 rats. With this deck you will usually just get overrun by any fast deck.

It was a pretty glaring oversight. I did go 0-3.

Lord Hosk wrote:If someone beats you (with the exception of people who buy $700 standard decks) its because they outplayed you in one of the stages of the game. The stages of the game arent all in the attack and first main phase.

"I outplayed you before you even got up this morning."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Apr 2013, 09:43

Drecon wrote:Last time I had an opponent play Ground against me I just kept on playing creatures and, surprise, my opponent didn't have any blockers. It was really one of the most one-sided matches I've played in this format.
If you want to play it know yourself out, but I'm claiming it's a big part of why this deck was performing badly.

Yes, but I'm guessing you weren't off your land. It's not uncommon in limited to be off your land. Let's say you had only had one plains in a boros deck. Your opponent uses ground on it, and now you can't play any other white item until you draw another plains.

It's not great mind you, and it's important to keep in mind that you have to keep a good number of creatures in the deck too. But Ground isn't the worst card. I'd take out the confessions and the Way of the thief before I'd worry about Ground.
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 03 Apr 2013, 11:14

I think I like Contaminated Ground a bit more than most, but even then it's only really ever a sideboard card. The problems with it are that it's almost completely useless in the late-game and that even on turn 2 there are games where it simply does nothing or very little. While I have seen it work to great effect, most of the time either I play it or have it played against me, all it achieves is 2-4 damage or setting things back a turn. And neither of those are worth it.

It's certainly not unplayabale, and if you're short on playables and you have to run one as your 22nd or 23rd card that's far from awful. But I'd certainly rather play nearly any creature over it (especially a 2 or 3 drop one) and most spells too. To me it's value is definitely as a sideboard card to be brought in in certain match-ups where the odds it does "work" are increased.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 03 Apr 2013, 12:34

Also I think as a comedy draft the Contaminated Ground deck would be hilarious. It'd be awesome to go, on the play, t2 contaminated ground, t3 contaminated ground, t 4 contaminated ground on a non-black opponent....
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 03 Apr 2013, 13:11

Utilitarian wrote:Also I think as a comedy draft the Contaminated Ground deck would be hilarious. It'd be awesome to go, on the play, t2 contaminated ground, t3 contaminated ground, t 4 contaminated ground on a non-black opponent....

haha he would likely punch you in the face.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 03 Apr 2013, 18:55

I shit you not I had someone pull that on me in MTGO. I was playing Boros. It was hilarious. Sadly that was the day of the huge MTGO crash that killed all the tournaments that were in progress so I never got to see it play out
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Apr 2013, 19:13

Has anyone else seen the 'spoiled' Golgari champion? He looks incredibly powerful in my opinion. Regenerating every time he would be killed, including getting another +1/+1 counter, AND he starts out as a 4/4 for 4 mana... that seems pretty powerful.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 03 Apr 2013, 19:31

Care to link us up on it please?
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Apr 2013, 19:36

Also, I kind of don't think it's real. But the last time we had spoiled cards like this, they turned out to be spot on (Aurelia, Enter The Infinite, etc).
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Apr 2013, 21:41

So he is indestructible only better, and has almost perpetual death touch?

Thats ummm powerful.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Apr 2013, 21:45

Yea. Though it was 'leaked' on April 1st, and there's a lot of argument over it being real. I'm leaning towards not. Or at least hoping. I mean those abilities, plus only costing 2BG, seems pretty strong.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”