The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 May 2013, 16:49

I really dont see this as being "changed to humanoid" Slivers have always had a conical head with a crazy predator face, and pointy limbs.

Other slivers in the past have looked "Humanoid" bases on their stance.

Horned, Homing, bonspliter as all semi erectish.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 07 May 2013, 17:51

Doug Beyer explained yesterday on Tumblr why they made the visual changes to slivers for M14.

As for the actual cards, well, I'm too new to be familiar with slivers beyond horror stories from bitter anti-sliver friends. They seem intriguing, and while I understand they usually are not found in blue or black I'm willing to bet there will be a couple just for the crazy people who want to use the plentiful mana fixing now in standard to run a 5-color sliver monstrosity. I know I want to do it. (I know my friend will hate me. But he's earned it with his ugly nasty mill deck.)
brb, assaulting children.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 07 May 2013, 22:45

Random thought: Block wars. Like Pack wars, except you open and shuffle together an RTR pack, a GTC pack and a DGM pack with 3 of each guildgate (if gates aren't available on short notice, 8 of each basic), and play it blind. Best 2 of 3, so you get to see more of your deck. Haven't tried it yet, but sounds fun.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 08 May 2013, 00:03

Yeah, that sound really fun. Brings the total up to 33 lands to 42 other cards, which seems like a good mix.

Playing limited with a deck of 75 cards might feel awkward though.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 08 May 2013, 00:16

maybe allow culling between rounds, max of 5 cards removed per round?
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 08 May 2013, 07:48

phlip wrote:Random thought: Block wars. Like Pack wars, except you open and shuffle together an RTR pack, a GTC pack and a DGM pack with 3 of each guildgate (if gates aren't available on short notice, 8 of each basic), and play it blind. Best 2 of 3, so you get to see more of your deck. Haven't tried it yet, but sounds fun.

Wouldn't that effectively just be a "run every card" DGM draft?
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 08 May 2013, 10:49

Seems a little cumbersome. If you could deck build it would be better, especially with all the multi color stuff.
^( " )^
winner!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 May 2013, 14:03

My wife came home from Grocery shopping and handed me a M13 pack.

Auger, Boar, Hellkite, foil Thragtusk.

I suspect there is someone at Wizards with the job of makeing "super packs" to seed like golden tickets so that people will get them and say "Holy crap I need to buy 10 more!" only to end up with 8 Battle of Wits and two doors to nothingness.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 08 May 2013, 14:27

Wow, that's a god pack. In the running for the best pack ever?
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 May 2013, 17:30

I dont know what the uncommons were but I got a Gisela and Foil Bonfire once. I didnt know at the time that there could be $5 uncommons.

Its funny to me the luck I have with packs, I never open god packs in draft or sealed but I do tend to open what I need, like my Lotleth troll, Vraska Double Abrupt decay Double Overgrown Tomb, RTR, or opening Two Viashino Firstblade's two Sunspire Gate keepers, a Smeltward Gatekeeper and a Tajic in my gatecrash to back up my Boros/azorious packs.

Im not that good of a player, I might be a little above average but when I get all the luck its like Graham in Friday nights "why cant I hold all these answers"

Opponent: Oh I see you have 4 guys with battalion and all I have are these two 0/X defenders, I cast TWO MORE! HA!

Me: Azorius arrestor, Flyer and Flyer cant block, Swing with all, Martial glory.

Opponent: Huh, that Tajic is going to be a problem.
Me: yeah
Opponent: I pass the turn
Me Viashino Firstblade, Viashino Firstblade, Swing with all three.
Opponent: :shock: thats 15?

[–]Graham_LRR
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 09 May 2013, 04:06

Lord Hosk wrote:My wife came home from Grocery shopping and handed me a M13 pack.

Auger, Boar, Hellkite, foil Thragtusk.

I suspect there is someone at Wizards with the job of makeing "super packs" to seed like golden tickets so that people will get them and say "Holy crap I need to buy 10 more!" only to end up with 8 Battle of Wits and two doors to nothingness.

somebody went to
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 09 May 2013, 05:03

Lord Hosk wrote:Opponent: Huh, that Tajic is going to be a problem.
Me: yeah
Opponent: I pass the turn
Me Viashino Firstblade, Viashino Firstblade, Swing with all three.
Opponent: :shock: thats 15?

Nothing feels better than swinging for 14 then flinging 10 to their face or hilarious double strike shenanigans. (I play casual FNM and it is extended format)
Eg,
Me: "I play wandering wolf, go"
Opp. plays a number of creatures
Me: "I see you are tapped out. Assault strobe, go into declare, wandering wolf and bloodrush a Zhur Taa and Slaughterhorn on it making it a 10/7 double strike that can't be blocked."

I don't know where I'd be w/o bloodrush, I love it so.
Last edited by ZePancakes on 09 May 2013, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 May 2013, 11:33

Speaking of opening good stuff, I bought 6 packs of Dragon's Maze the other day. Out of the 6 packs, I got 1 Shock-land, 2 Mythics, and 3 foils (common, uncommon, and rare). I call that a good haul. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 09 May 2013, 12:42

So, I think I found the most unfun deck ever and it's one a friend decided to playtest against me. UR weenie. There was never a time when I cast a spell that it wasn't countered. A bloodrush deck can't get going when there isn't a monster on the damned field. On the plus side, the bloodrush deck is working surprisingly well. Had a combo that hit for 16 with only one monster. Feral animist bloodrushed for +6/+6 making it an 8/7 then activated its ability to double its power making it a 16/7. 16 damage right to the face. I was also able to break out of mana flood by giving a Maze Behemoth Primal Visitation twice and laying down a Gruul War Chant making it an 11/10 with trample that could only be blocked by two or more creatures.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 10 May 2013, 00:07

Out of curiosity, are there any cards from Innistrad block that you guys think will keep or even go up in value? I'm asking because I still have some Huntmasters, foil Restoration Angels, lands, and so forth that I'm considering selling while the market is still good for them.
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 10 May 2013, 00:28

Kapol wrote:Out of curiosity, are there any cards from Innistrad block that you guys think will keep or even go up in value? I'm asking because I still have some Huntmasters, foil Restoration Angels, lands, and so forth that I'm considering selling while the market is still good for them.

the cards that will hold/gain value are the ones that see play in legacy and modern, so at the moment the big two are liliana(most decks with black) and snapcaster(all decks with blue), with resto angel(kikki pod) and hunmaster(jund) being semi played so will probably drop but not by much. the mana lands will drop a bit and hold.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 10 May 2013, 07:54

Got to cast Beck & Call fused twice and won the round in my MTGO pre-release. Used that and Alive & Well (fused) to regain all the life. :D

JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 10 May 2013, 10:37

I did a couple of the pre-release drafts on MTGO and they were... let's go with interesting. Dragon's Maze clearly isn't designed to be drafted by itself that's for sure. But these few days are basically the only time we'll ever get to try it, so figured might as well give it a shot.

And there can be some nice value as most cards are worth more now then they'll ever be. I've done two of them and basically have gotten back all of the 30 tickets I've used for them.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 10 May 2013, 23:34

Dammit I did it again!

I 4/2ed my draft and ended up in 5th place. I went 2-0 for the first three, 2-1 in 4th, lost 0-2 with a Horrible Mana screw in game one and a really good game that went 23 turns (we think) and ended up -1 to 2. In my last match I won quick, then lost slow and lost just as they called time. :(

I need to stop doing well up front so I can get some prizes.

But I opened Aetherling, Zegana, and Deathrite Shaman and got passed a Breeding Pool. I ended up going blue green with a splash of red for Bigger pig, Gruul Charm and two Rubblebelt Maaka.

[–]Graham_LRR
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 11 May 2013, 04:59

Did a GTC draft, Pack 1: Gideon, Pack 2: Ghost Dad. Hooray!

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 May 2013, 07:18

you just stood up dropped and started dancing?

[–]Graham_LRR
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 11 May 2013, 20:56

I had my first DGR draft today (yesterday?). I cast Stolen Identity on a Trostani's Summoner. LIVIN THE DREAM.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 May 2013, 21:03

Dominic Appleguard wrote:I had my first DGR draft today (yesterday?). I cast Stolen Identity on a Trostani's Summoner. LIVIN THE DREAM.

During my first DGM (I dunno what DGR is :P), I cast a Stolen Identity on an opponent's Desecration Demon, then brought out the Selesnya Guildmage. Populate all the demons!

Trymantha wrote:the cards that will hold/gain value are the ones that see play in legacy and modern, so at the moment the big two are liliana(most decks with black) and snapcaster(all decks with blue), with resto angel(kikki pod) and hunmaster(jund) being semi played so will probably drop but not by much. the mana lands will drop a bit and hold.

I figured as much. I just wasn't sure what saw play. Among the eternally-played cards, how big is Cavern of Souls? It's another I have a playset of that I might decide to get rid of, though I don't want to.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 11 May 2013, 23:21

Cavern sees play in legacy decks like Goblins, Elves, Merfolk, Death and Taxes, and the like, so I'd hold on to them.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 May 2013, 23:40

Alright, thanks. I figured of all the cards, it'd be the most likely to be valuable in the future. Plus this way I don't feel compelled to sell my playset while I still need it.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”