The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Utilitarian » 19 May 2013, 21:29

Man I'm going to be severely angry if the Innistrad cycle of dual lands doesn't get reprinted in M14 or the next set...
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 19 May 2013, 21:37

What makes you think that they will be? I know it's been mentioned they're more open to making enemy-colored dual-lands, but it seems weird to reprint fairly flavorful dual-lands for a specific plane. It seems more possible that we'll be getting new ones for the next set, or perhaps some new 'generic' ones like the current ally-lands.
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 19 May 2013, 22:12

Utilitarian wrote:Man I'm going to be severely angry if the Innistrad cycle of dual lands doesn't get reprinted in M14 or the next set...

yeahhhh i wouldnt count on them being reprinted
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 19 May 2013, 22:15

Changing the subject for a moment, it sounds like my store might be doing Modern Master drafts for $25 when it hits. That sounded like a lot at first... but considering that a lot of people are saying it's a very expensive set, it might be worth it. I mean... it seems like it'd be interesting, and I could always pull some major money cards. Should I go for it?
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 19 May 2013, 22:17

The two online card stores I usually check prices at both list the boosters at over $10, so yes, it's probably quite a good deal.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 19 May 2013, 23:20

Trymantha wrote:
Utilitarian wrote:Man I'm going to be severely angry if the Innistrad cycle of dual lands doesn't get reprinted in M14 or the next set...

yeahhhh i wouldnt count on them being reprinted

It just seems like it would be weird if they didn't. We'll almost certainly still see the traditionally allied colors like Rootbound Craig, but it would be weird for those colors to continue to have access to both their shock lands and their standard dual lands while the other color pairings have only their shock lands. It's not like shock lands are going away any time soon...
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 19 May 2013, 23:32

The main reason would be that those colors are supposed to be enemy colors. That might sound a bit weird, but flavor-wise, it makes sense. I actually found an article about this found here.

But, in all honesty, your reasoning doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Because the shock lands are still going to be in rotation, the enemy-colored tap lands should be too? And those specific versions? Allied colors would have more access to their mana-base more, but it's not like enemy-colored lands will have it that bad with the shocklands (and gates if they feel needed). And allied-colored having more access seems normal from my understanding.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 19 May 2013, 23:43

I think the mana fixing in M14 is very likely to be reprints... probably of the M10 duals. Standard has a ridiculous amount of fixing in it already, between the M10 duals, the ISD duals, and the shock lands... if M14 has something new, then it'll either be unplayable, or make the fixing in Standard even more ridiculously overpowered. Once ISD rotates out, I expect there'll be something new in Theros, as there often is in a new block.

That said, I can see the ISD lands coming back some time. It seems like the names aren't too tied to the gothic horror flavour (the black ones are a little, but then that's OK, 'cause they're black) so they could reasonably be reprinted in a different set someday. I just don't think it's necessarily going to be any time soon. This is unlike, say, the utility lands from ISD, which would be harder to reprint, since they'd be hard to fit in a core set with the double-colour activations, and hard to fit in the flavour of an expert set since Nephalia, Stensia, Kessig and Gavony are all places in Innistrad (Moorland Haunt gets a pass on the name, but would be harder to fit into the flavour of WU in most settings).

Honestly, what I'm secretly hoping for is that Theros will reprint the fetch lands, and have those in the same Standard as the shock lands. Maybe even the Onslaught ones, to get them into Modern. I seriously doubt it'll happen, but a man can dream.
Last edited by phlip on 20 May 2013, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 19 May 2013, 23:50

I really hope that they don't have fetches in theros the mana in standard is almost too good and if you have both there is no reason to play less than 3 colours
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 20 May 2013, 00:55

yeah i agree i dont think we will be seeing fetches in theros. would not be surprised to see them in the block after that though
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 20 May 2013, 03:38

Holy explicit-word, Bob is getting a reprint for Modern Masters.

I'm very keen to see what else they'll be reprinting.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 20 May 2013, 05:58

Just did another draft. After a Scion if Vhitu-Ghazi tried to force Selesnya. It didn't quite come together (I got partially cut off) and I ended up with an okay GWB deck. First match was relatively equal but my lack of early game cost me the third game. My opponent's deck was just a little but more consistent.
Now that I think about it consistency seems to be the uniting factor in the decks that I see winning matches. More news as I keep on drafting, this format is really awesome.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 May 2013, 08:07

I suspect theros is going to be a almost mono color set, more than m13.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 20 May 2013, 10:37

ooooh i like this guy
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 20 May 2013, 12:41

That card seems whalley good in limited.

Bob reprint is great. Really tempted to just splash out on a couple MM boxes.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 20 May 2013, 15:42

Interesting that they're reworking the way that O ring ability is written... in the rules right now, zone-changing is just a one-shot effect, not a continuous effect that can have a duration... this is why cards like Oblivion Ring have it as two abilities - one to get rid of the thing, and another to bring it back. Whereas as a continuous effect it's just the one ability, with a duration. Which I guess is easier to understand, and it also avoids the "Oblivion Ring trick" where you play an O ring and then bounce/destroy it in response to the ETB trigger, and then the triggers happen in the wrong order and the target is exiled forever. Can't do that with Colossal Whale, most likely. But I'm pretty sure they'd have to rewrite some significant sections of the rules to make that possible. Which I wouldn't put past them, but it's still surprising.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 20 May 2013, 16:56

phlip wrote:Interesting that they're reworking the way that O ring ability is written... in the rules right now, zone-changing is just a one-shot effect, not a continuous effect that can have a duration... this is why cards like Oblivion Ring have it as two abilities - one to get rid of the thing, and another to bring it back. Whereas as a continuous effect it's just the one ability, with a duration. Which I guess is easier to understand, and it also avoids the "Oblivion Ring trick" where you play an O ring and then bounce/destroy it in response to the ETB trigger, and then the triggers happen in the wrong order and the target is exiled forever. Can't do that with Colossal Whale, most likely. But I'm pretty sure they'd have to rewrite some significant sections of the rules to make that possible. Which I wouldn't put past them, but it's still surprising.

Huh. I thought the wording on that looked weird, but I wasn't sure why. Good catch.

It definitely would make it more intuitive than O-Ring.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Drecon

Postby Drecon » 21 May 2013, 00:57

I love the 'Jonah' reference on that one.

Also, the delayed triggered ability thing on O-Ring has always been a bit counterintuitive (although very cool to use)
Drecon

Postby Drecon » 21 May 2013, 02:57

Also, I couldn't resist making this one :)

Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 21 May 2013, 08:32

Heh, y'know it 's funny. I was talking rules to a computer programmer friend of mine who's getting into magic, and I was explaining the Fiend Hunter to her (we were playing with the Sorin v Tibalt duel decks) and I happened to mention the Exile on the Stack Unsummon/Flicker ability to permanently exile a target

Her response was "Wow... that seems like a bug to me."

I guess someone at R&D finally decided it was ^_^
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 May 2013, 13:21

oh great, the Mazes end decks are now appearing on MTGO... and losing.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 21 May 2013, 14:31

Lord Hosk wrote:oh great, the Mazes end decks are now appearing on MTGO... and losing.

yeah there weer a couple that made a good showing at the pro tour.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Drecon

Postby Drecon » 21 May 2013, 14:41

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Maze's End decks are among the hardest to play correctly.
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 21 May 2013, 15:07

What Drecon said. Also depends what people are running- like Oberg said at the PT, it was great because it hit the metagame and was unexpected- now people can adapt for it and whether others have changed the deck accordingly is another issue.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 May 2013, 17:19

I had an idea for a couple of cards.

For the first one, I know it has to be an instant and blue. It should probably be rare, and I think it could be black and/or red as well as blue, since it seems like it crosses lines into both Dimir and Izzet.
Trying to work out a casting cost for it, as well as a name.

The effect is "Target instant or sorcery gains Cipher."
I'm wondering what combos would come out of that. What combos would you create with that card?

I also came up with a crazy card idea that would make things ridiculously frantic for both sides.

House of Mirrors
Blue enchantment
Rare
All creatures not on the battlefield are sorceries that state "Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of this creature." They gain Cipher.

This would turn all creatures into "Call of the Nightwing" essentially, and would make for some pretty crazy games. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”