The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby ArchieO » 16 May 2014, 02:41

The problem is that if you are getting all this sick value then You are likely to be the one with the highest life total, therefore you need ways to keep your life total low
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 16 May 2014, 04:42

Kapol wrote:I just realized... you don't need any other way to put counters on creatures. All your creatures have Dethrone. You swing in at the person with the most life. No matter how they trade, you get anything they kill back. And anything that lived now have extra protection.

Interesting. And here I thought that they had to deal combat damage. Attacking is simply enough. While everything we've mentioned is still viable to combo with, really, she's good with anything. Hasters really benefit from her, though.Same with ETB creatures.

Also, I could see some sacrificing engines being possible here, especially with Undying creatures. Granted, the wording means infinite engines are impossible, but hey. It's a start.

ArchieO wrote:The problem is that if you are getting all this sick value then You are likely to be the one with the highest life total, therefore you need ways to keep your life total low

Agreed, that's also what I thought at first...then ArchieO brought up Unspeakable Symbol. Problem solved.
Credit to Foxmar
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 16 May 2014, 05:02

The card is breakable in a million beautiful, delightful ways. I need five, two for a cube and three for reasons.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 16 May 2014, 05:04

WickedBoy6 wrote:Agreed, that's also what I thought at first...then ArchieO brought up Unspeakable Symbol. Problem solved.

Also, Ad Nauseam, Yawgmoth's Bargain, and other card-for-life deals.
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 16 May 2014, 07:29

Well Bargain is Banned in most formats ever but necropotence does a decent job as a replacement
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 16 May 2014, 07:31

WickedBoy6 wrote:Agreed, that's also what I thought at first...then ArchieO brought up Unspeakable Symbol. Problem solved.

I found out about the card when I though about building a near death experience deck which turned into Wall of Blood Sure works well with fling.dek
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 16 May 2014, 09:27

WickedBoy6 wrote:Also, I could see some sacrificing engines being possible here, especially with Undying creatures. Granted, the wording means infinite engines are impossible, but hey. It's a start.

Undying creatures with Blasting Station or Goblin Bombardment would work, I believe.

I would also love to try and do horrible things with Last Laugh as a result of some terrible loop with a 1 toughness creature. Needs at least one creature with indestructible I think, but hurdles must be jumped.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 16 May 2014, 09:39

Wait, Necro isn't banned in Commander? That seems incredibly silly.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 May 2014, 13:17

Graham is now part of the Conspiracy. Nobody can be trusted.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 16 May 2014, 13:41

Then how do we trust that video actually has Graham in it and not some sort of Dimir Doppleganger. NOT THAT WE- they, would do that.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 16 May 2014, 15:13

Credit to Foxmar
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 16 May 2014, 23:19

Oh how I wish more people actually called for a judge that way, with a loud voice and a hand up high instead of one or the other.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 16 May 2014, 23:42

Only if they appeared in the same way as Toby Elliot did.

So, six promo videos were released for Conspiracy, with Graham handing out papers to a Level 5 Judge, a Magic/Poker pro, the host of Limited Resources, a retired NFL player, one of the stars of Walking the Planes, and a Pro Tour historian...

...what is the connection?
Credit to Foxmar
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 17 May 2014, 04:02

It might be, and I'm speculating here, Magic.

Also, you learn Teleport at level 3.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 17 May 2014, 05:54

I hear you learn Magic Missile at Level 1, but you can only use it once a day and you'd be surprised at how little that comes up in a tournament setting.

...when did Graham do this, anyhow? He can't be at the Pro Tour, since we had LRRMtG and House of Stark as normal on Thursday...

EDIT: Also, that's a six-man draft pod ready to fire, and Conspiracy is a Limited product.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 17 May 2014, 08:36

Prospero101 wrote:Also, that's a six-man draft pod ready to fire, and Conspiracy is a Limited product.

Sounds interesting. Weird they'd go with six instead of eight, but interesting theory. Also, not to sound narrow-minded, but does anyone know if retired NFL player Chris Kluwe even plays?
Credit to Foxmar
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 17 May 2014, 08:46

Nothing on his Wikipedia article seems to indicate he's a player, but that's not necessarily something that reaches the press, unless they do it publicly. Maybe he drafts with his buddies on the weekends, and something he's doing caught WotC's attention.

HOWEVER.

Chris Kluwe used to be a punter for the Minnesota Vikings. A PUNTER. Coincidence?!?!?!

EDIT: WEIGHTUHMINNUT:
Wikipedia wrote: Kluwe is also active in fantasy board gaming and card gaming and owns a store in Costa Mesa, CA (Mercenary Market) that is dedicated to non-computer related fantasy games. In recognition of his support for fantasy gaming, Wizards of the Coast in 2012 developed a specific player card for the Magic: The Gathering game based on Kluwe's Loate troll character.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 17 May 2014, 12:16

Uuuuuuu.... So good...
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 17 May 2014, 12:20

IN. I am so completely freaking totally IN.

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 May 2014, 12:58

After watching this Im going to stick to my innitial idea.

the first time you draft this you will make a ton of mistakes and you will end thinking well that was weird.

The second time you draft this it will be fun.

the third time you draft this you will be disappointed because its so weird and some BS combo just blows you out turn three.

the fourth time you draft this... there will be no 4th time you draft this, its going to sit on the shelf at the LGS while everyone avoids it until the packs are like $.99 and people buy them for the commander card or land if there is special land?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 17 May 2014, 13:17

Lord Hosk wrote:After watching this Im going to stick to my innitial idea.

the first time you draft this you will make a ton of mistakes and you will end thinking well that was weird.

The second time you draft this it will be fun.

the third time you draft this you will be disappointed because its so weird and some BS combo just blows you out turn three.

the fourth time you draft this... there will be no 4th time you draft this, its going to sit on the shelf at the LGS while everyone avoids it until the packs are like $.99 and people buy them for the commander card or land if there is special land?

You see, I don't see how that's any different from commander, and that's still wildly popular. There'll be times someone just combos off. Though I don't think it'll be as easy or happen as often as you make it out to, given it's a limited format and people can and will hate pick cards.

Honestly, I think it's going to be a fun format. I'm not sure how long the novelty will stay interesting, or how deep the games will be after that. But I think this is going to be a hit with people who like multiplayer formats, even if they don't necessarily like drafting. As for myself... I don't know. I'll draft it a couple times at the least. With so many good cards in the set, I see it having a lot of value.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 17 May 2014, 13:51

I worry that Conspiracy's seeming wastefulness could be its downfall. One of the great things about drafting is that it's fun at the time, but you also have a whole bunch of new cards to mess around with afterwards; even if you're an experienced player with myriads of cards that you never use and a who orders most of your cards as singles. The issue with cards applicable only to drafting is that they become useless once the draft is over- which isn't a problem if we think about it logically (these types of cards are pretty rare from the looks of things), but it might end up feeling mildly annoying when ye pull one.

IDK, noob talk
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 May 2014, 13:55

Thats more or less it.

Commander is popular because you use almost every card from magic to play, and you play over and over and over.

Conspiracy you open packs, play, then throw away 2/3rds of the cards.

But you could make a cube out of them

yeah but you probably wont, and if you do you will probably play to once or twice and then it will sit on your shelf.

Its like the un-sets. its only for play within the format.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 17 May 2014, 14:01

Since I don't draft all that often - I'm more into Sealed Constructed, plus it's hard for me to get around 7 people I know who also play Magic - this may not be for me. It looks fun, but I just don't know when I'l ever play it.

Having said that, I still may end up buying a box and either sitting on it, hoping it appreciates into Modern Masters-type profits, or just waiting for that right moment when I get that right amount of people around, and we just need that one perfect night of Magic.
Credit to Foxmar
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 17 May 2014, 14:04

Lord Hosk wrote:Thats more or less it.

Commander is popular because you use almost every card from magic to play, and you play over and over and over.

Conspiracy you open packs, play, then throw away 2/3rds of the cards.

But you could make a cube out of them

yeah but you probably wont, and if you do you will probably play to once or twice and then it will sit on your shelf.

There are only going to be 13 'useless' cards. The conspiracies themselves. Everything else will be playable in Legacy and Vintage at the very least. And even the conspiracies are likely going to find a home in cubes. Stuff like the clockworks are also likely going to be found in a lot of cubes going forward as well. I've heard multiple people express a lot of interest in Clockwork Librarian going into cubes, and the other clockwork cards we saw give me the impression they'll fit just as much at home in them. The cards that don't fit in cubes largely fit into commander. And the cards that don't necessarily fit into commander are just good cards (Swords to Plowshares, Brainstorm, fact or fiction, etc). There are a lot of people who are super excited to get foil Brainstorms, non FTV Swords, and so forth. And those aren't even the rares in the set.

Frankly, the cards in the set are good enough that the packs are going to be opened just to be opened at the very worst.

WickedBoy6 wrote:Since I don't draft all that often - I'm more into Sealed Constructed, plus it's hard for me to get around 7 people I know who also play Magic - this may not be for me. It looks fun, but I just don't know when I'l ever play it.

Having said that, I still may end up buying a box and either sitting on it, hoping it appreciates into Modern Masters-type profits, or just waiting for that right moment when I get that right amount of people around, and we just need that one perfect night of Magic.

That's not a good idea unless you're looking for a LONG term investment. Like 5+ years, barring no sets like this being reprinted. The big difference is the Modern Masters was a limited print run. This is not (as confirmed by Mark Rosewater).

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”