The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Volafortis » 25 May 2014, 17:03

Phosphatide wrote:I usually don't keep up with the lore of Magic, but Theros block really got my gears going so I decided to read up on how the story played out.

So as of the latest Godsend book, it seems Elspeth has finally reached her end. Thanks a lot, Heliod.

I would not be surprised if another part of the story is released and Elspeth is brought back, but right now I am so heartbroken. May you live on forever with your friend Ajani in my commander deck.

SPOILER, Theros block story, at the end.
Yeah, Fortunately, she died on a world with an Underworld, and they've said that this is not the end of the story, so I'm hoping she comes back.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 25 May 2014, 18:19

I actually went to BOTH days of Game Day this weekend at my local shop, participating on both Game Day tourneys. Day 1, I put together a Green Devotion deck in 15 minutes, right before the tourney. Literally. I was still sleeving while the shop owner was greeting everyone to the tourney. It went 2-2, which, considering it was a scratch brew, wasn't bad. It had non-stop Charging Badgers, Swordwise Centaurs, Aspect of Hydra, and bloodrush. Massive rushing of the blood.

Day 2 saw me with an Izzet deck I began crafting the night before, and it took me to my first-ever Top 8! Granted, I lost in the first round against some ultra-aggro Gruul, but I still made it. Goblin Electromancers, Izzet Charms, and burn all day. Plus, I think I'm in love with Mercurial Chemister...who looks a lot like Christopher Lloyd...
Anyway, also got a LOT of Commander done, actually BEAT The Xenagos Challenge - which means I now have ALL OF THE HEROES! - and even piloted the Hydra, Horde, and Xenagos against one another in a three-wat brawl-off. The cows won.

To cap it off, I got the best JOU Fat Pack one could probably pull: Keranos, Athreos, Godsend, Dictate of the Twin Gods, Mana Confluence, two Dawnbringer Charioteers, and two Battlemage Thaumaturges.

All in all, one of the best weekends in my entire life.

...Yeah.
Credit to Foxmar
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 26 May 2014, 19:18

I didn't get out to Gameday because my girlfriend was in town. I went and had craft beers at breweries in/around Austin, TX instead. I think my weekend turned out okay.
Last edited by Dix on 26 May 2014, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 26 May 2014, 19:35

I'd have traded craft beers for game day if I had known I'd flop as horribly as I did. The flooding I somehow managed to RNG _every_single_ game/match/pairing ended up making the tsunami in Sumatra look like a kiddy pool...
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 26 May 2014, 20:04

I would've passed up Gameday for girlfriend and beer. Sadly, I have access to neither - since I have neither - so Magic, it is.
Credit to Foxmar
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 31 May 2014, 10:45

I have made a terrible deck.

GIMMICKS AWAYYYYYY!

Thoughts?
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 02 Jun 2014, 11:22

So. Stifle being reprinted in Conspiracy.

Looks like there's going to be some eternal reprint motivations to keep Conspiracy going once the novelty wears off
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 02 Jun 2014, 13:05

I'd love to get a playset of foil Brainstorms, not gonna lie, and since this isn't a limited release, I could actually see this really helping bring down the cost of some of those legacy staples, which is good.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 02 Jun 2014, 14:31

I am quite confused by how Canal Dredger is supposed to work.

Each player passes the last card from each booster pack to a player who drafted a card named Canal Dredger.

1) What exactly does "the last card" mean? You'd expect it to be the rarest card that's still in the booster or something, but due to the nature of many players to shuffle their packs before passing them I don't see what relevance "last card" has.

2) Considering how Wizards intended the timing of drafting a card to be (everyone drafts a card at the same time, and anyone who drafted one of the Constructs with a draft ability then announces it), I assume the cards get passed around by Canal Dredger after everyone already took their pick from the pack?
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 02 Jun 2014, 14:42

I believe that once the pack comes down to one card, you get all the last picks passed to you, at which point you pick one and pass it. To avoid that awful card you didn't want, I guess. Though you'll probably only pick up a common off of it.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 02 Jun 2014, 14:47

I think it means the last card picked (what would typically be a land, or a Triton Shorethief in a normal set).

Draft Canal Dredger face up, and let everyone know.
When each player gets to the last (15th) pick in their pack, you get it instead (so you'll get 22 cards per pack).
Basically, like sifting through a canal for trash, you get the stuff that no one else wants.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Phosphatide

Postby Phosphatide » 02 Jun 2014, 17:14

Ahh, makes sense now. I was thinking the ability must be dealt with immediately and was trying to figure out what that resulted.
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 02 Jun 2014, 19:47

Apparently the land cards are being removed in Conspiracy and one of those draft affecting cards or Conspiracies are taking its slot.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 02 Jun 2014, 20:11

Since adding the land (there didn't used to be one in boosters), they've occasionally taken it out to put cool things in. In Modern Masters, there was a guaranteed foil, and in Vintage Masters there is a foil, or a piece of power, or a foil pieced of power.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 02 Jun 2014, 20:13

Dix wrote:Apparently the land cards are being removed in Conspiracy and one of those draft affecting cards or Conspiracies are taking its slot.

I was gonna say. If they kept the lands in, Canal Dredger was essentially going to be a land-getter. I have rarely - if ever - seen anything other than land in a 15th pick in a pack.
Credit to Foxmar
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 02 Jun 2014, 20:43

I've been in a draft where someone just picked all the land. I still don't know why.

But at least lands would help with the Worldknit plan... :P
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 03 Jun 2014, 00:51

Well, the issue is this set isn't coming to MTGO and the standard operating procedure for physical drafting is to cull out the land before you pass, so putting land in this set would be kind of pointless.

That said, I was a little surprised not to see some fancy full art lands (or something) come out with this set.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Jun 2014, 00:56

If it was a Zendikar draft, I know why. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Jun 2014, 01:15

Utilitarian wrote:Well, the issue is this set isn't coming to MTGO and the standard operating procedure for physical drafting is to cull out the land before you pass, so putting land in this set would be kind of pointless.

That said, I was a little surprised not to see some fancy full art lands (or something) come out with this set.

Depends where you go. One place I went to had you keep them in. Others did not. Honestly, there's less reason to take them out than there is to keep them in. Taking them out really adds and takes away nothing, as they SHOULD go last in the draft (barring full-art situations). Normally, it won't matter. If you're doing a chaos draft (as one LGS does) and someone uses Dragon's Maze, everyone needs to keep their land in to make it equal.

AdmiralMemo wrote:If it was a Zendikar draft, I know why. :D

Nope. This was a... Theros draft I believe. Maybe M14. But certainly not Zendikar.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 03 Jun 2014, 12:51

Well, the official MTR says to take out the land before drafting, so there is that...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 03 Jun 2014, 13:29

I must admit that I am a little bit disappointed with Conspiracy outside of its limited format bubble. Here was a chance for them to reprint some modern staples, and the only reprints at all that see constructed play are legacy cards like pernicious, and exploration (and some foils of things like brainstorm).

Even pushing it as an EDH set won't go far as there's only a handful of new EDH/reprints that people will be after. I honestly was expecting a lot more from a print on demand set :(
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 03 Jun 2014, 13:32

Some sexy land would have gone a long way. Or making it limited release with the expectation of a "sequel set" coming out in the future sometime. I'm happy enough to draft it at least a handful of times, though.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 03 Jun 2014, 18:02

Re: Canal Dredger

There aren't any basic lands in Conspiracy boosters (being replaced by the "draft matters" cards), meaning "live" cards will be getting passed to you. In addition, I think the card quality's high enough in this set there's a chance you'll get something acceptable out of it between all the players.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Jun 2014, 18:28

Del wrote:I must admit that I am a little bit disappointed with Conspiracy outside of its limited format bubble. Here was a chance for them to reprint some modern staples, and the only reprints at all that see constructed play are legacy cards like pernicious, and exploration (and some foils of things like brainstorm).

Even pushing it as an EDH set won't go far as there's only a handful of new EDH/reprints that people will be after. I honestly was expecting a lot more from a print on demand set :(

To be fair, that's not really surprising on the modern front. This set is between Modern Masters 1 and 2. It's be awkward for it have a bunch of stuff that they're likely printing in either of those sets. The fact that eternal formats got some new playthings that might be useful is also pretty nice.

I also feel like EDH got a LOT of stuff here. A lot of stuff that sees play in other formats will see play in EDH (the big ones being exploration, Magister of Worth, and so forth). I feel like a lot of the 'will of the council' and 'parlay' cards are going to get good homes in EDH. The only things I have a big of a problem with are the conspiracies. I almost feel like the artifact creatures should have been normal rarity, and the conspiracies should have replaced the land.
Phosphatide

Postby Phosphatide » 03 Jun 2014, 19:04

Plus there aren't as many Modern cards that are "fun for multiplayer" as there are in Legacy, I suppose.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”