The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Volafortis » 25 Jun 2014, 20:47

I hope after Tarkir we get a block that's actually relevant to one of the major Magic plotlines. I feel like the Eldrazi, Phyrexians, and Nicol Bolas have been gone too long.

Granted, last time we saw Sarkhan, he was a pawn of Bolas, so Tarkir might bring Bolas back.

I just hope we get something soon.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 25 Jun 2014, 23:17

There might be some sprinklings of Bolas, but I think this is really going to be about Sarkhin Vol. If Bolas does show up, it'll be the third expansion. I was talking with my girlfriend about the next expansion, and she thinks it may be time to head back to Zendikar.
Credit to Foxmar
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 26 Jun 2014, 01:48

It does feel like Zendikar might be the best option, especially with Nissa coming back into the frame and Kiora having finally been featured in Theros
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 26 Jun 2014, 05:30

Zendikar has a lot of plot threads tied up in it:

Sorin looking for a way to imprison the Titans again
Bolas being Bolas (fingers in ALL of the pies)
Kiora and Nissa trying to save Zendikar, while making it better than before
...etc.

It looks like they're gearing up for Zendikar: Act 2. I wouldn't be surprised to see Zendikar come back in "Blood" block. That'll also put RTZ in the "sweet spot" for return blocks (7-ish years).
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 26 Jun 2014, 05:44

There is also Gideon out there looking for ways to save the plane
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 26 Jun 2014, 11:23

Anyone know if there's a way to have a creature in your hand come into play under your opponent's control? I mean like, directly as if they had cast it, rather than having it come into play under my control and THEN them getting control of it later?
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 Jun 2014, 12:30

They should print a card named "Just-a"
2/2 for 2 colorless Artifact Creature Bear.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 26 Jun 2014, 14:44

Utilitarian wrote:Anyone know if there's a way to have a creature in your hand come into play under your opponent's control? I mean like, directly as if they had cast it, rather than having it come into play under my control and THEN them getting control of it later?

See: Gather Specimens
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 26 Jun 2014, 15:07

ZePancakes wrote:
Utilitarian wrote:Anyone know if there's a way to have a creature in your hand come into play under your opponent's control? I mean like, directly as if they had cast it, rather than having it come into play under my control and THEN them getting control of it later?

See: Gather Specimens

So basically I'm looking for a reverse gather specimens effect
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 Jun 2014, 17:26

So I told this story in the chat for the stream tonight, and I want to share it again. I'm not sure if I'm misremembering or not. But I know their way of pronouncing the name was super weird. The way we both said the names were so different that we honestly didn't know we were talking about the same person for a while.

I was at PAX East 2013. I was near the front of the line to try DotP2014 and get the Chandra Pin. We were talking about walkers, and we started chatting about each color of PW. We tried naming all of them for each color. We named most of them. We got to green, named Nissa, and were trying to come up with another.

I finally remembered Garruk and mentioned him. I pronounced it "Garr-uck." The guy who started the conversation knew who I was talking with. The people working the booth got super confused. Eventually, they got one of the other guys working the booth to come over. And he says "Oh, you mean "Jar-ook?" And I got super confused. We ended up realizing we were talking about the same person.

I specifically remember it seemed to start with a J the way they said it. Maybe they said it like "Gar-ook" which would have been weird for me at the time too. But I know it was just super weird when it happened. I dunno. Maybe I'm crazy.
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 26 Jun 2014, 17:47

Garruk's a Hard G, just like ... Graham.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 26 Jun 2014, 18:18

I've always pronounced it like "Gareth" but with an "uck" at the end. I don't get where "ook" comes from.

Also I'm pretty sure MaRo says it the same way (I'm certain he said his name in at least one of his podcasts), so I'm sticking with that.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Jun 2014, 18:38

I suppose a better way to phonetically spell it out would be Guh-Air-Ruck for me. And the main reason I felt like sharing was A: because I felt it was an interesting story considering these were people running the Wizards booth, and B: Graham seemed to dismiss it as if I was joking around.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 26 Jun 2014, 18:56

It's definitely a hard G. I'm not sure how rest should be, but 'Gar-' isn't pronounced "Jar-" however you look at it.

I usually say 'GAIR-ruk.'
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Jun 2014, 19:01

That might be how I say it. I'm bad with phonetics.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 26 Jun 2014, 20:11

Woohoo! Just went 2-1 (well, okay, 1-1 with a bye, but round 3 was intense!) in my first "real" MTGO draft, a Theros block swiss. I used to only draft once in a blue moon at my store, but now I plan to do it once a week, at least. Here's my deck, a pretty sweet B/U control build.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how the deck turned out. Having said that, I could use some advice. For one thing, I feel like this deck is a little light on good defensive creatures. I saw a few go around, but I passed them in favor of removal, most of the time. Was that the right call?

Any tips would be appreciated.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 27 Jun 2014, 00:09

Off the top of my head:

Your deck has a slightly mixed message where it seems like you want to be defensive on the ground and win with fliers, but then you have a few fairly aggressive cards like Warchanter of Mogis and Breeching Hippocamp that don't block especially well. Maybe these slots could have been filled with cards like Rotted Hulk, which is usually fairly easy to pick up.

Careful about Asphyxiate. It's alright but don't confuse it for premium removal. Once your opponent is beating you down with something mean it's never going to be untapped at a time your sorcery can hit it. A solid creature is often better than an asphyxiate and certainly better than the second.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 27 Jun 2014, 01:40

Rotted Hulk isn't that good. While I might rather have it over Warchief in this deck (which Warchief is just pretty bad really), Hippocamp is better than it. Not as defensive, but allows for tricks by untapping an extra blocker, just generally flashing in a blocker, and is able to trade with most stuff on the ground.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 27 Jun 2014, 05:47

I was kind of hurting for playables at the end of the Born of the Gods pack (as the round one mirror match would indicate, I was fighting over both my colors) and I really needed dudes, so I kind of just snapped up everything I could get.

As for Rotted Hulk, I get what you're saying, but it's not a card I would spend a high pick on. There was always something better in my colors in the pack with a Hulk, and someone was snapping them all up so they never came back around.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 27 Jun 2014, 17:43

Just spent the day doing a bunch of personas, titles, and achievements in DotP 2014. All I have left are multiplayer stuff and color titles for esper. The color titles may never happen as I found them after play ump-teen-million games with the Green Eldrazi deck.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 27 Jun 2014, 18:34

That was always my problem, ElFuzzy. When I got it on the XBox, I made sure THOSE were the first titles I got. IT was REALLY easy if that's the first thing you do, but if you wait like I did on the PC, it takes for-fucking-ever.

Something to note if they have something similar in DotP15.

Also, what do you play on? 360, PS3, or PC?
Credit to Foxmar
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 27 Jun 2014, 19:50

I finally got around to double sleeving my commander deck. It's not like the deck it super expensive, but 10 of these cards cost like $25 or more each so I felt it warranted enough of a reason to seal the top of the cards. Such an amazingly zen experience.

Now it's super fun to hold in my hands as I try not to have the middle just slip out and spill all over the table. Shuffling half the deck at a time makes everything easier as well.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 27 Jun 2014, 21:07

Yeah, I have all my Legacy and Modern decks double sleeved and for the first month or so, it's super slippy fun time every time you shuffle.

But double-sleeving is basically a must with any valuable cards.

I can just imagine someone spilling soda all over my Underground Seas.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 27 Jun 2014, 22:06

I double sleeve my standard decks. I have a decent amount of fun stuff. Shocks (including a foil), a bunch of decent foil cards, and so on. And I had a weird issue that my cards would ALWAYS get banged up somehow. So I just started double sleeving them.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 28 Jun 2014, 05:51

WickedBoy6 wrote:That was always my problem, ElFuzzy. When I got it on the XBox, I made sure THOSE were the first titles I got. IT was REALLY easy if that's the first thing you do, but if you wait like I did on the PC, it takes for-fucking-ever.

Something to note if they have something similar in DotP15.

Also, what do you play on? 360, PS3, or PC?

PC via steam. Now my goal is to try and get all the trading cards :P Probably wrapped that up via trades a few moments ago. However I just saw that I have over 50hrs on record... so those titles is gonna be awhile QQ

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”