The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby square1 » 08 Feb 2016, 07:21

Reprint of Fiery Temper + Chandra, Flamecaller 0 ability is a huge flavor win :)
HmFons
First Video: The Couch

Postby HmFons » 08 Feb 2016, 17:01

I got myself a fatpack of OGW to get into Magic. Which I used to get this Red Black deck together.

Over the weekend I two of my friends went and got intro decks as well and we had a few games. I weon a game against a mono blue deck. But lost hard twice to W/G with Renown and Support. Each one of us was able to get a win out of a three way matches, but mine was just by a hair.
All of this makes me think I put together a pretty bad deck. It used to be R/W with a big focus on cohort, but wasn't too reliable. I went for the Vampire Envoy and switched everything out.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 09 Feb 2016, 06:48

Literal Actual Baby Jace with Madness and Delirium being a thing is going to make Standard hell. Maybe that was the intent? :/
square1

Postby square1 » 09 Feb 2016, 06:53

I try to pretend jace doesn't exist since he will never be affordable for me
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 09 Feb 2016, 07:43

I get the feeling that flip Jace is going to be another, smaller, JTMS situation. R&D underestimated just how powerful he is and standard is going to suffer until he's gone in one way or another. Alternatively blue is going to be weak after Khans rotates out. And it won't be helped by taking away all of the fixing that allows for stupid decks like 'Dark Jeskai,' 'Mardu Blue,' and '4c Rally.' I'm guessing it's the former though.
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 09 Feb 2016, 20:07

Jace has become a cancer in Standard. I wasn't around for Big-Money Jace, but argh - not even Ugin and Gideon, Ally of Zendikar are as pricey as Jace and SOI+EMN look like they'll just spike his price, and the price of Standard, further, Vryn's Prodigy. Sure I know you can technically just buy 1 and use the indicator token, but ugh.

While more suited to the Rant thread, can I just say I'm annoyed people haven't used the Nephilim names for 4-color decks? :(
square1

Postby square1 » 09 Feb 2016, 21:03

Lycodrake wrote:
While more suited to the Rant thread, can I just say I'm annoyed people haven't used the Nephilim names for 4-color decks? :(

I know right? It's baffling! The names are perfectly fine and right there! No one even knew what I was talking about at FNM when I called my WUBG deck "Witching Hour"

Also, can you actually do that with the indicator cards in an event? I would have thought you'd actually have to prove you have four copies or whatever. I could imagine myself maybe springing for *one* Jace if that was all it took.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Feb 2016, 21:27

It's definitely not legal in sanctioned events, and whether you can get away with it in casual events depends...

Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 10 Feb 2016, 03:35

It's what people in my area do for FNMs, at least. Though I know there are a few people who have a playset of the actual card.
Speaking of which...
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Feb 2016, 13:37

If the FNM is a sanctioned event from WotC, that shouldn't happen, and the store owners could get in trouble.

Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 10 Feb 2016, 15:16

Lycodrake wrote: Sure I know you can technically just buy 1 and use the indicator token, but ugh.

Yeah definitely shouldn't happen. I was running an elf deck with 3 Nissa at one point, and the foil one never got used because I wanted to keep it double sleeved, but I still had to have it with me, and I kept it in my deck box with the 2 I'd actually use. Just because they checklist cards are printed by wizards, doesn't make them any different from any other proxy.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Feb 2016, 21:29

You bring however many you have with checklists, but you only ever need two of them for actually playing with, because they're both Legendary and Planeswalkers, which are "one-in-play" things. Therefore, the only way to get two out is to flip the first one and play the second.

You could potentially get three out if you cast one, your opponent stole it, you cast a second, flipped it, and cast a third. However, I see no way for four from your deck to ever be on the field at once.

jadamelio
First Video: The Cookie

Postby jadamelio » 11 Feb 2016, 07:48

AdmiralMemo wrote:You bring however many you have with checklists, but you only ever need two of them for actually playing with, because they're both Legendary and Planeswalkers, which are "one-in-play" things. Therefore, the only way to get two out is to flip the first one and play the second.

You could potentially get three out if you cast one, your opponent stole it, you cast a second, flipped it, and cast a third. However, I see no way for four from your deck to ever be on the field at once.

What if they stole 2 and flipped 1
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 11 Feb 2016, 08:30

jadamelio wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:You bring however many you have with checklists, but you only ever need two of them for actually playing with, because they're both Legendary and Planeswalkers, which are "one-in-play" things. Therefore, the only way to get two out is to flip the first one and play the second.

Then you concede because they have your jace, telepath unbound already, and if you're in that position, I think you've already lost :P
Also, Jace flipping returns him to his owners control, I believe, so they'd need to volition reins your telepath unbound, while they also mind control your literal actual baby jace.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 11 Feb 2016, 12:11

If you play with more Jace's in you deck than you have, and you know that you shouldn't.
That cheating is which leads to a DQ and possible banning
Magic Tournament rules 3.5 wrote:For each checklist card used, the player must have a
copy of the actual card available, though they are not considered sideboard cards and are not presented to their
opponent.

MTG Penalty Guide 4.8 Cheating wrote:Definition:
A person breaks a rule defined by the tournament documents...
Additionally, the offense must meet the following criteria for it to be considered Cheating:
• The player must be attempting to gain advantage from his or her action.
• The player must be aware that he or she is doing something illegal
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Feb 2016, 19:07

jadamelio wrote:

It exiles to flip, so it would exile to your exile zone, and then therefore back under your control when it came back.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 12 Feb 2016, 22:40

What's relevant is less that it's your card in exile, but more that Jace (and the others) specifically say to return it transformed "under [their] owner's control".

Though, they could Exert Influence your Jace creature, then Silumgar your Jace Planeswalker to get both, then you could have both, to have all 4 on the battlefield at once.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
square1

Postby square1 » 12 Feb 2016, 22:46

Good luck to anyone attending ogw game day this weekend :-)
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 22 Feb 2016, 11:00

We're getting a new Conspiracy set everyone. A fact that honestly surprised me.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 22 Feb 2016, 11:37

Kapol wrote:We're getting a new Conspiracy set everyone. A fact that honestly surprised me.

SOI, Eternal Masters, and now this... dear Wizards of the Coast, please take all my money.
KeiranLC
First Video: unskippable

Postby KeiranLC » 22 Feb 2016, 11:37

Kapol wrote:We're getting a new Conspiracy set everyone. A fact that honestly surprised me.

I am happily surprised, but not shocked. The first Conspiracy set went over extremely well in general. I am happy because it went over well among my circle of friends in particular, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.
hacofo
First Video: DB5 Stream

Postby hacofo » 22 Feb 2016, 12:07

Ok, that might be the moment to get back into paper Magic, just to draft that.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 22 Feb 2016, 13:55

KeiranLC wrote:I am happily surprised, but not shocked. The first Conspiracy set went over extremely well in general. I am happy because it went over well among my circle of friends in particular, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I was under the impression it didn't sell all that well myself. Like it was really popular for a month, then it just kind of trailed off. I'm not going to complain though.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 22 Feb 2016, 13:56

I'm surprised we are getting conspiracy 2 in the same year as eternal masters. I was not expecting that.
KeiranLC
First Video: unskippable

Postby KeiranLC » 22 Feb 2016, 14:06

Kapol wrote:I was under the impression it didn't sell all that well myself. Like it was really popular for a month, then it just kind of trailed off. I'm not going to complain though.

I may be misremembering it, but I believe Conspiracy went to a second print run and I think the second print run did not fully sell out, but even making it to a second run is impressive.

Booster wrote:I'm surprised we are getting conspiracy 2 in the same year as eternal masters. I was not expecting that.

I can see it. The first Conspiracy set was also a Summer release, around the same time as Vintage Masters was released on MtGO. We're seeing something similar here except this time the Masters set is a physical product. I would imagine that though some people may be interested in both sets, the psychographic breakdown between the two are fairly distinct.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”