The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby square1 » 09 Mar 2016, 22:28

Lycodrake wrote:SIGARDAAA!!!~

I was on the edge of my seat. That was tense!
Hope that new art signals a reprint or new card for her.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 10 Mar 2016, 03:51

square1 wrote:
Lycodrake wrote:SIGARDAAA!!!~

I was on the edge of my seat. That was tense!
Hope that new art signals a reprint or new card for her.

I want to believe that I can have GW dragon wife and angel wife in the same deck with DTK and SOI/EMN in Standard at the same time.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Mar 2016, 16:31

In OGW, we saw Timber Gorge instead of Shivan Oasis, Tranquil Expanse instead of Elfhame Palace, Meandering River instead of Coastal Tower, and Submerged Boneyard instead of Salt Marsh... I'm assuming this was due to flavor reasons, and the fact that the new names are more general, and more likely to be reprinted in future sets.
Side Thoughts - Click to Expand
I thought Salt Marsh was nicely generic enough, and Coastal Tower could be as well. But I guess if you have to redo a few, you might as well redo them all, right?
Therefore, I'm assuming we'll see a functional reprint of Urborg Volcano in SOI.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Ladsworld

Postby Ladsworld » 11 Mar 2016, 17:31

AdmiralMemo wrote:Therefore, I'm assuming we'll see a functional reprint of Urborg Volcano in SOI.

We already have one. Cinder Barrens
Chat Name: DrChillbrain
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Mar 2016, 19:50

How the bus did I miss that? Stupid brain...
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

square1

Postby square1 » 12 Mar 2016, 00:13

Looks like we're getting the enemy color lands in SOI. Between them, the rare duals from bfz, evolving wilds, and the man lands, there's a decent amount of fixing.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 13 Mar 2016, 09:10

So last night, I just figured out why Investigate is a thing mechanics wise. It's to stop the Madness decks from running out of gas due to you discarding cards a lot.
square1

Postby square1 » 13 Mar 2016, 11:09

Investigate appears to be a U/W mechanic so far, while Madness appears to be R/B for the most part, at least in the cards we've seen. I'm guessing madness is going to be more of an aggro hellbent strategy. That said, we've only seen a small fraction of the set, so maybe the mechanics will turn out to be more spread out.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 13 Mar 2016, 11:21

We've seen Madness in 3 colours so far, Blue, Black and red. But discard sources will probably be in all colours. I think it's a way to ensure you won't have an empty hand extremely quickly. Mechanically, Delirium, Madness and Investigate all work pretty well together, or it seems that way to me. Madness needs discard outlets, which also help get your Delirium on-line easier. Investigate helps draw cards, which gives you more cards to discard, helping Delirium again, and more cards in hand means more options on what to pitch. They all seem like they're designed with each other in mind.
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 14 Mar 2016, 08:06

I've always wondered whether or not I'd be happy if Wizards ever printed a mechanic that I thought of independently. And now I know.

Startled Awake, being a sorcery that transforms, is very similar to a mechanic I designed called Embody, where you cast an instant or sorcery for a higher cost, which lets you put it onto the battlefield transformed as the spell resolves. I have spells that grant first strike and turn into creatures with first strike, spells that make tokens and turn into creatures of that type, instant-speed bounce that turns into walls, stuff like that.

And I have to say, it feels really good.

Also: THE NIGHTMARE CREATURE TYPE IS BACK
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 15 Mar 2016, 21:02

Did...did they shift to a new foiling process? I'm looking at a foil MM2 Bolt as opposed to a foil from BFZ... the BFZ one looks a lot more shiny. Is this new?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 15 Mar 2016, 21:45

Secondary products have normally have different foiling from my experience.
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 15 Mar 2016, 22:07

I wonder why they would do that because it looks way worse. I don't remember Conspiracy foils looking like this.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 15 Mar 2016, 22:14

Atleast it is better than From The Vault Foils
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Mar 2016, 02:25

I'm guessing (and this is just a guess) that it's because they used a different printer for those sets. I'm pretty sure that's why Modern Masters cards have a different feel to them. They tend to feel more glossy from my experience.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 16 Mar 2016, 12:45

I love that SoI is further exploring red's flavour-designspace as emotion with cards like Avacyn and Nahiri. It can be really power flavour-wise, Feldon of the Third Path comes to mind, but it is something done so rarely.

Also Olivia + madness creatures could make MarkovChain.dec pretty real.

...hypehypehypehype...
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 16 Mar 2016, 14:28

In Nahiri's case, red is also the other colour that messes about with rocks (see Koth for example). Unless Nahiri went really off the deep end and ended up white/black - which I don't think is really in character for her - red was the obvious choice.

Also, yay, a new red/white planeswalker. Who works really well with Madness!
It's fish in a tin!
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 16 Mar 2016, 17:44

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32 ... -Card.html
Angel Wife 2.0. I can have Angel Wife 2.0 and Dragon Wife 2.0 in the same Standard deck! :D
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 21 Mar 2016, 17:28

So here's a story thing that's been bugging me. Ugin, Sorin and Nahiri got together 10,000 years ago to trap the Eldrazi on Zendikar. Later, Nahiri went missing and Ugin got temporarily dead.

Then Jace, Nissa, Chandra and Sarkhan screwed everything up and released the Eldrazi, because they are idiots. Sorin goes to find Ugin, Sarkhan bumbles his way into reviving Ugin, Nahiri is still missing.

Ugin and Sorin show up on Zendikar; Ugin spends his time dispensing cryptic clues and getting mad at Jace, Sorin promptly goes off to Innistrad, and Nahiri is still missing. None of them actually help fight/contain/trap the Eldrazi, despite that being their whole deal.

Then, after Zendikar has been almost entirely reduced to Wastes and then almost entirely destroyed, once the dust has settled, then Nahiri shows up with a beef with Sorin for engineering the situation that wrecked Zendikar. Where was she, what was she doing, that she couldn't help out with the whole Eldrazi mess, but was suddenly free to chase after Sorin afterwards? And shouldn't she have a beef with Ugin, too? Not to mention Nissa, Chandra, Sarkhan and Jace, for letting the Eldrazi out of their carefully constructed box? And Nicol Bolas, for engineering the situation which led to the Four Stooges letting the Eldrazi out?

Basically, the three powerful, wise elder planeswalkers seem to have been asleep on the job when they were needed most, and it makes no sense.
It's fish in a tin!
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 22 Mar 2016, 07:00

I feel the one point of info we are missing is why Nahiri wasn't on Zendikar and how she is still alive (I am still unclear on how long ago the Mending was).

Her anger seems to come from Sorin suggesting Zendikar as a prison in the first place and now that everything has passed, she hates him for that (we don't even know that for certain).

As for Sorin and Ugin not helping the others with the Eldrazi: They simply didn't care. Capturing the Eldrazi was all they wanted, whatever happened to Zendikar (or any other specific plane for that matter) was none of their concern. As they are both basically still immortal, they have the more godlike view that the old planeswalkers had.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 22 Mar 2016, 07:38

I am assuming that we are going to get a Lore article better describing what Nahiri deal is
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
ebMusicMan
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby ebMusicMan » 22 Mar 2016, 11:28

Tinfish wrote: (snip) Ugin and Sorin show up on Zendikar; (snip)then Nahiri shows up with a beef with Sorin

Was this addressed in some DailyMTG story that I missed? I just finished reading all the BFZ and OGW stories, Sorin and Nahiri were only mentioned ... right?
PS - This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 23 Mar 2016, 20:19

Ugin and Sorin met on Tarkir when Ugin woke up. Sorin left presumably to Innistrad from there. He didn't go to Zendikar with Ugin. However Sorin was on Zendikar with Nissa when she removed the final fail safe.

In my opinion Ugin's argument about trapping vs killing the Eldrazi is flawed because they are just as removed from any potential ecosystem as with them being killed. Also did he do any studying of them at all while they were trapped
square1

Postby square1 » 24 Mar 2016, 18:37

A lot of the newest cards up on the spoiler sites have the glare/poor scan issue again. Did they have *more* leaks?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 29 Mar 2016, 20:14

This line from the recent Making Magic made me sad:

It was double-faced—This one's a given, but we weren't interested in a wolfir Planeswalker.

I find the wolfir an interesting direction to go with a section of the werewolves. It makes me sad it's being basically entirely ignored again. :(

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”