The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby tamaness » 11 Jun 2013, 15:27

AdmiralMemo wrote:The way I'm reading Maze's End is that after you activate the ability and get your gate out, you win right then if you meet the conditions. "Win the game" seems to be part of the resolution of the ability.

Scapeshift puts end down tapped. Tapping is part of the cost of the win-condition, so unless you've got Maze's End out already, you've got at least a turn to wait and hope no-one plays Armageddon.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 11 Jun 2013, 16:12

god Green/Red agro is such a powerful archetype in constructed right now. It's a little absurd
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 11 Jun 2013, 17:40

So, uh, I just got back from my first paper draft ever. I almost didn't go because I didn't know anyone else there and wasn't 100% sure what I was doing, but I figured it would be the only time I'd ever get to draft Modern Masters, so I went. I'm glad I did because everyone was very nice and I had a lot of fun. I don't think I drafted very well as I basically ended up with mono green 5/5s splashing a single Path to Exile. I went 1-1 plus a bye, which was better than I was expecting, and I actually won prizes. And then I opened Kiki-Jikki in those packs, so that seems good.

I guess what I'm saying is, thanks LRR for giving me an excuse to get out and be social.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 11 Jun 2013, 17:56

My Modern Masters draft went... poorly. I tried going fairies since one of my first packs had a Scion in it. That didn't work very well since I was cut out from fairies, though I did manage to pick up some changlings. My main problem was that I didn't get a single bomb for my deck. The best card in it was Grand Arbitor dude. I was fine early game, but after that... I just couldn't do anything. So I ended up going 1-3. And the 1 'win' was a bye.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 11 Jun 2013, 19:26

I drafted Goblins for my first Modern Masters draft, which wasn't really surprising to anyone who knows me; I've loved goblins since I first started playing.

I have a playset of Mogg War Marshal now, so I am happy as can be.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 11 Jun 2013, 19:35

Duckay wrote:I drafted Goblins for my first Modern Masters draft, which wasn't really surprising to anyone who knows me; I've loved goblins since I first started playing.

I have a playset of Mogg War Marshal now, so I am happy as can be.

He looks better in foil :D

Also was this at Good Games? Have they ran out of MM yet? I'm waiting till friday to get a couple more (I also want to do a pack war with them).
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Duckay

Postby Duckay » 11 Jun 2013, 19:48

This was actually at The Games Shop, but I know GG was doing drafts as well. I actually have no idea if they still have any in stock, and I know that all of The Game Shop's stock is going towards drafting.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 12 Jun 2013, 03:30

madAlric wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:The way I'm reading Maze's End is that after you activate the ability and get your gate out, you win right then if you meet the conditions. "Win the game" seems to be part of the resolution of the ability.

Scapeshift puts end down tapped. Tapping is part of the cost of the win-condition, so unless you've got Maze's End out already, you've got at least a turn to wait and hope no-one plays Armageddon.

This is what i meant, unless you can untap Maze end with something you cant win until your upkeep
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 12 Jun 2013, 04:08

Duckay wrote:Commander is played in a lot of playgroups as a strictly casual, fun, silly format. Others play it more competitively.

In a playgroup where people play more for fun, an instant-win combo which no one can stop is frowned upon. Especially if it happens reliably when you play the deck. In a more competitive environment, that's less of a problem.

Unfortunately there isn't really a magic community where I live (read the middle of nowhere) and so I play on MTGO where you don't really have a play group just whoever is around. The deck can reliably kill by about turn nine, seven at the earliest if I run perfect. However the deck has some severe vulnerabilities as well, mill is a massive problem and while agro is not an unbeatable matchup it can be very difficult if I don't run very well, I haven't beaten a Kalia deck for example.

Jenelmo wrote:
madAlric wrote:

This is what i meant, unless you can untap Maze end with something you cant win until your upkeep

I generally use amulet of vigor for that purpose, untaps all the gates as well as maze's end.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 12 Jun 2013, 04:14

ArchieO wrote:Unfortunately there isn't really a magic community where I live (read the middle of nowhere) and so I play on MTGO where you don't really have a play group just whoever is around.

In that case, you're going to run into people who will be upset with you no matter what kind of deck you run. The etiquette for MTGO Commander is different, because every game will have different people, and you can't discuss things that the group doesn't like.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 12 Jun 2013, 04:38

This comes down very much to personal views on the format, I think; because Commander is very much a casual format, you get a lot more variety in how people approach it.

Where I usually play, people aim more for maximum fun for the group and I suppose a certain silliness, so someone reliably winning quickly in a way that virtually no one can interact with would be kind of frowned upon. To other people, I'm sure that's part of the format.
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 12 Jun 2013, 15:58

The maze's deck isn't the only deck I play I have a couple of fun tribal decks and a pretty competitive Oona deck to be honest I was surprised how competitive the deck is, Currently am 5-1 in multiplayer and 23-10 in single player. This is starting to be the deck I play if I feel like winning.
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 12 Jun 2013, 23:31

Well one of my dreams came true tonight, I got to play LRR in a draft that was being streamed. Well at least by Graham. And it happened totally by chance too. Wednesday is one of the nights I usually draft and it's not a night we usually get a LRR stream. I joined the queue, started the draft and just then got an email saying they were going live with a stream. I looked at the draft and right across from my Stuffy Doll was LRR's. Of course this meant I couldn't watch the stream live, or at least I didn't want to in case we got matched up, which we did in round 2.

It was actually one of the tightest matches I've played in a long time. I did some disgusting things with Advent of the Wurm and Rootborn Defenses game 1, got off to a great start but Graham stabilized and got out some huge beaters to win game 2 (which I got to tap-tap-concede of course), and game 3 came down to a topdeck Trostani's Judgement to get rid of my Palisade Giant (probably my MVP for the draft) for Graham for the win.

And after it was very cool to get to watch someone across the table and getting to see how the draft played out from a different seat, as well as watching a match from an opponent's viewpoint.
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 13 Jun 2013, 03:26

I thought you played pretty well without seeing your hand there were no obvious mistakes you made, that td judjement was sick though!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Jun 2013, 05:31

Jenelmo wrote:
madAlric wrote:
This is what I meant, unless you can untap Maze end with something you cant win until your upkeep
Ah. I didn't realize you wanted to Scapeshift INTO the Maze. I thought you were meaning you get the Maze down and then Scapeshift for the win.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Jun 2013, 11:25

In the MTGO beta has anyone else had trouble building a constructed deck?

When I add my lands to the deck it all looks fine but then when I close the deck it says I only have like 52 cards in it, when I reopen it I have "cards no in my collection" in the deck even though I added them FROM my collection.

I also have an issue where I will add cards, see 60 cards, then close the deck and it will list 58 or 59 cards and something will be Missing.

Lastly, How the heck do you trade in the beta?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 13 Jun 2013, 11:42

I have that same issue. The workaround for that is to add them in manually. This can be done easier if you go to your basics and then check the "show different editions" option up at the top somewhere.

I don't know how trading is done outside of the Beta, so I'm having trouble figuring out how to say how it is done inside the beta... I always found it relatively intuitive.
Do a Pivot Table!

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Jun 2013, 11:53

Oh man, now I have to go through and add them all to the trade binder, and there is no way to add "all over 4" that I see.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 13 Jun 2013, 11:55

Lord Hosk wrote:Oh man, now I have to go through and add them all to the trade binder, and there is no way to add "all over 4" that I see.

I tried to do that manually once... I eventually gave up because I just didn't have the attention span for that.
Do a Pivot Table!

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Jun 2013, 12:18

In the old client you can just say "add all over 4" or open a given set like "M12" and add all.

Ick.

[–]Graham_LRR
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Jun 2013, 13:16

There's an "Add all but 4" or something option in the right-click. I just used it today.

Hosk: I actually ended up playing a game against a tech support guy a while ago, and he confirmed that's a bug. The work-around is indeed manual land adding.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Jun 2013, 13:26

You can add all but 4 of individual cards, but you have to do it for each one.

[–]Graham_LRR
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 13 Jun 2013, 14:43

Bad: not managing to build your deck in time (in a draft) and having to play game 1 of each match with 80 cards.

Good: winning the draft anyway :)

Yeah. I felt like bragging a bit.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 13 Jun 2013, 16:23

I believe the issue with adding land to your deck is when you do like "Add 10 to deck" and you're right clicking on the top land in a pile of say, Mountains, but you only have 2 or 3 of that specific Mountain with the same art, set, etc, and it assumes you want 10 of that specific Mountain rather than just 10 Mountains of whatever kind, from your pile.

So now it's like "Hey, you are missing 7 M13 Mountain(3) from your deck"

I really like the beta, or at least what it could be. It seems like all the problem are just unituitive, but fixable, ui things, rather than fundamentally broken stuff. Plus, the new client is suppose to be a much better base to work from, so I think it has a lot more room to improve than the old client.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 13 Jun 2013, 16:58

I like the new beta, but I do hope that they're planning a round of optimization (or three) before they run it out officially. The thing is terribly unresponsive (and it's not a "my computer sucks" issue either.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”