The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Prospero101 » 07 Jan 2014, 10:00

I honestly wouldn't have noticed the frame change if someone hadn't told me.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 07 Jan 2014, 13:09

Juliamon wrote:Also they fucking named it Beleren, it's a kick in the face after all the "we don't focus on Jace all the time you guys, stop whining, he's hardly the face of Magic" responses to people like me who hate Jace.

That's... pretty stupid. Why couldn't they just name is Magic, Mana, or something more universal to Magic overall? A lot of people really hate Jace, and even more just don't care for him (Personally don't care for him). I guess that it's fine though since quite a few people don't like the font anyways.

I suppose that's a benign thing overall though.

Prospero101 wrote:I honestly wouldn't have noticed the frame change if someone hadn't told me.

I think it's going to be much more obvious in person. Bigger art/rules text box are going to be easier to see I think, as is the bottom blackness.

I honestly think I like the change overall. The fact it looks like it belongs in another game that throws me off. Well, that and the fact that the border doesn't stand out at all against the black cards (at least in the shown image). And if people can do fun stuff with the card information at the bottom, then I'm even fine with that. I just don't like how much it looks like they stapled the planeswalker bottom onto other cards to me.

As for the flavor text... I agree it seems off on the card. I'm not a fan of the game referencing itself belonging in the 'real world' so to speak.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 07 Jan 2014, 13:47

It took me a little while to notice the changes on the black card, but on the red card it stood out a bit more.

As for why it couldn't be named 'Magic' or 'Mana', those are too generic and therefore doesn't brand as well. I understand completely that it needed to be something specific to the world that was big enough that it wouldn't become outdated soon (like naming it after a plane would potentially be). That basically leaves the planeswalkers, of whom Jace has the most distinctive name. I see how they got there.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Jan 2014, 13:51

I think planes would be fine. It would choosing one that'd be an issue. Like, most of the planes are remembered pretty well. Just choose their best selling or most popular. Ravnica or something would work.

Or, hell, just name it Planeswalker. The cards are supposed to be planeswalker spells, so they're in the planeswalker minds after all. Choosing a specific walker makes does make it feel like they're playing favorites to some people I believe.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Jan 2014, 14:17

My next question is, would people mind so much if WotC openly said, "Yes, Jace is our favourite"?
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 07 Jan 2014, 14:19

Well, according to Mark Rosewater, Jace is most everyone's favorite, according to market research. So perhaps not.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Jan 2014, 14:35

Duckay wrote:My next question is, would people mind so much if WotC openly said, "Yes, Jace is our favourite"?

A bit, but that's mostly because I personally find him to be a dull character. But I don't know much of the lore behind them, and I find most of the single-color planeswalkers to be dull in concept, since they kind of have to 'fit' that color.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 07 Jan 2014, 18:52

The frame change isn't nearly as drastic now as it was in 8th edition, and if anything, this change puts a little bit of the old flavor back into the card frame.

I think the font name really doesn't matter. It's something 99% of the player base won't ever even know, and beyond that, Jace is the most popular planeswalker.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 07 Jan 2014, 19:13

I SAY WE GO BACK TO FUTURESIGHT!!
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 08 Jan 2014, 00:26

Opened pack one in a draft on Magic Online then started yelling at my husband, "FOIL ELSPETH! FOIL ELSPETH!"

I am having a good run of luck.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 08 Jan 2014, 10:56

ElFuzzy wrote:I SAY WE GO BACK TO FUTURESIGHT!!

As much as everyone thought the futuresight border was neat, it's fundimentally flawed in its inability to represent large numbers of coloured mana symbols.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 08 Jan 2014, 11:06

Utilitarian wrote:
ElFuzzy wrote:I SAY WE GO BACK TO FUTURESIGHT!!

As much as everyone thought the futuresight border was neat, it's fundimentally flawed in its inability to represent large numbers of coloured mana symbols.

Wouldn't mind a few cards in that border, though...

But yeah, Khalni Hydra kind of doesn't work...
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 08 Jan 2014, 21:29

I agree with maro's analysis on this point... having the mana costs down the left side of the card would be much more convenient, as a right-handed person... but having a mix of old and new cards with the mana costs in such different locations would be worse than either option alone, which makes changing to that style a lot less appealing.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 08 Jan 2014, 22:40

I think that they're neat for what they are, a one time "what-if?" type of thing, but I understand the Future Sight border never coming back. Besides, it just makes the Future Sight cards that much more awesome.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 09 Jan 2014, 06:52

The thing I liked with FS-styled cards were that the vanilla creatures were given the full-art treatment.

On different note, has anyone here bought Artist Proofs or even original paintings? I've bought proofs, one of the new Elspeth (no. 36/50) and a Riddlesmith (Eric Deschamps forgot to number this one.) Each with sketches. Honestly, I'm a sucker for Deschamps' art style, he is my favorite artist so I'm happy supporting him.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 10 Jan 2014, 17:53

So I'm seriously considering pre-ordering the set of starter decks for Borne of the Gods from Card Kingdom EVEN THOUGH I have no idea what cards are even gonna be in the set, save a few. Thoughts, suggestions, cautions?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Jan 2014, 21:40

Buying starter decks normally isn't worth the value to be honest. The two packs are nice, but the deck itself normally doesn't add up to the value of the rest of the deck. You'd likely be paying for 10 packs and a bunch of 'meh' cards.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 10 Jan 2014, 22:16

Hmmm should I go to the GPT on Sunday. Getting two byes for the GP would be amazing and I hear the prize support at the store is okay, but it's 20 bucks or something and I'd have to cancel lunch with my sister for my birthday -_-

Also: new spoiled card Dire Flames is kinda neat. Clearly designed for Mono Red planeswalker hate. That said, a lot of folks at my store think it's competing and losing against Warleader's Helix. Time will tell.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Jan 2014, 22:42

I think in decks that can play Helix, Helix is better. But this is a good (or at least decent) card for mono-red. It kills pretty much any planeswalker (mostly Elspeth or Jace for mono-red). But the fact it doesn't hit players makes it much worse. I think it'll be a good sideboard card for mono-red. outside of that, it's meh.

As for the dilemma... go with what you feel is right. The GPT would likely be fun. But you'll be spending money and missing time you've already set up with siblings. Given it's your birthday though, it's not outrageous (in my opinion) to do something you think you'll enjoy.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 11 Jan 2014, 07:47

Hey guys, guess what I pulled when opening only my fifth ever booster pack?

AJANI CALLER OF THE PRIDE MOTHER@&%£ERS!!!!

Seriously, it's probably not all that impressive to you guys, but I feel lucky as hell right now. The guy who introduced me to Magic told me once that he's never pulled a planeswalker, and I was seriously considering slipping it into my current white/black deck and just casually slipping it in when I play him tomorrow. Only reasons I didn't were a) it would have been really anticlimactic had the card not come up and b) I think he might have strangled me for shuffling and playing an unsleeved planeswalker the way I do.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 11 Jan 2014, 07:55

Trash card, better send it to me for proper disposal.

Kapol wrote:Buying starter decks normally isn't worth the value to be honest. The two packs are nice, but the deck itself normally doesn't add up to the value of the rest of the deck. You'd likely be paying for 10 packs and a bunch of 'meh' cards.

I look at it that 10 packs is more than a fat pack, as well as getting a good setup for a Born of the Gods collection. also they like to toss in cards from other expansions, and I could always use more Gifts of Orzhova.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 11 Jan 2014, 08:04

Nothing beats the feeling of pulling a Planeswalker. (Unless it's Tibalt :P)

That reminds me of my 1st crack pack courtesy of the 2-player battle packs; M12 - Pull Sorin Markov and a Foil Furyborn Hellkite... And thus the addiction began.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 11 Jan 2014, 09:30

My first pack had a Darksteel Juggernaut and a foil Quicksilver Gargantuan, and that was with the red/blue metalcraft deck from Scars of Mirrodin. Not expensive, but I didn't know that at the time, and they fit into my deck super well. So that was neat.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 11 Jan 2014, 09:59

My first pack had an Evil Twin. I was like, "Ooooh, that's neat..." and I've been a loyal agent of House Dimir-I MEAN I'VE BEEN A LOYAL EMPLOYEE OF THE UNDERCITY COURIERS-ever since.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Jan 2014, 10:54

ElFuzzy wrote:I look at it that 10 packs is more than a fat pack, as well as getting a good setup for a Born of the Gods collection. also they like to toss in cards from other expansions, and I could always use more Gifts of Orzhova.

10 packs is 1 more than a fat pack for $20 more. You'd be better off buying a fat pack (which also comes with a bunch of extra lands and other stuff you could use, and the box itself is good for carrying around decks), a pack, and any singles from the decks that you want for cheaper. Especially older common/uncommon singles that should be really cheap.

But then again, it's up to you. If you want to buy them, feel free to. Just from my experience, they're not going to be worth it.

As for my first pack... I don't remember what I got. I think it was either a Wolfir Silverheart or another Herald of War from a pack out of the angel-based Avacyn Restored pack. The first 'packs' I bought myself were for a draft, and I didn't pull anything amazing there either.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”