The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby phlip » 30 May 2012, 02:47

If you're willing to just straight up call it $20 for Momir Basic (as opposed to $10 each for MTGO and the Momir deck), then I'd say it's worth it, though of course that's up for opinion. The starter set you get is pretty basic, but maybe you'll find something in there you'll make use of... I haven't really looked through mine that hard.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 30 May 2012, 03:20

Playing with the starter set is annoying because everyone else just seems to put all the biggest cards they have together - you're often playing against decks of 70-80 cards and one time my opponent had 100+ cards.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 30 May 2012, 05:58

and how much does it cost to draft?
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 30 May 2012, 06:07

(Reposting for convenience)

Lord Hosk wrote:A standard MTGO draft costs two tickets plus 3 boosters, OR I think you can pay in just 16(?)tickets.

Option one
a ticket costs $1 and Boosters cost #3.99 so roughly $14.99

Option two
a Draft pack which is the two tickets and the three packs have a set cost of $14.97 on MTGO

Option three
you can buy from a vendor like MTGO Academy and the cost goes down they sell One DA and Two In for $10.90 and tickets are a dollar so 12.90

Option four
EDIT: the 14 tickets would be $14 from MTGO
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 30 May 2012, 06:47

Basically, regardless of which option you pick (three boosters plus two tickets, one draft pack, or just straight-up 14 tickets), it'll be $14 if you just buy everything from the MTGO store (technically if you buy the boosters or the draft pack it's $13.97, so you save three cents). You can get in a bit cheaper if you buy the boosters from other players / sellbots, and more cheaper if you win packs in a draft or other tournament and chain them into your next draft.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 30 May 2012, 07:10

goddamn thats expenisve just to play 1 game. is drafting where a lot of the MTGO action is these days or is there still tons of games and tournaments in constructed/standard format
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 May 2012, 09:13

Lemegeton wrote:goddamn thats expenisve just to play 1 game. is drafting where a lot of the MTGO action is these days or is there still tons of games and tournaments in constructed/standard format

I play 1 draft every other week (I set a $30 limit per month)
the rest of the time I play constructed standard decks in the noob area and planeswalker with just the basic pack and momire.

I have never had to wait more than 2 minutes to get a constructed game going and no more than 5 for a momire. I play probably 5-10 games a day in those formats and after the first $20 (10 for MTGO and 10 for momir) its free to play 1 game or 1 million games.

If you stick to the noob area you do get to play against people who aren't that good. Im not that experienced but I win about 60% of the time, I am now even starting to win against people who buy multiple planewalker card packs just to get big cards.

You can build some pretty good decks with the basic planeswalker packs, not the greatest but better than you normally could for $6 worth of cards.

Here is the basic break down, If you feel that you are paying to play and dont get real cards. You wont like it.

If you want to play magic because you might open a pack and get a $50 card that can then pay for your next 3 games, or you like to have something to hold when you are done playing you wont like it because those wont happen.

If you want to play magic a lot and dont care if you win or loose a few games its awesome.

You can make it a $10 one time fee game or a $100 a month game very easily.

Two things to remember 1 individual cards dont have value like in physical magic you cant sell all your rares at $.50 with a few BIG CARDS.
**DONT OPEN PACKS**
Your local store has 50-100 people who buy and sell cards, between them they open a box or two a month. MTGO has 5000-10000 people who buy and sell and open a case a day.

There isn't anything underhanded about MTGO, its simple economics. There are 2 or 3 Tamiyo's available in your local area, they are worth $35 there are 200 tamiyos available on MTGO, they are worth $3.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
CompletelyUnsure
First Video: Unskippable? I found this through 0Punc.

Postby CompletelyUnsure » 30 May 2012, 13:47

Finally got my paycheck, and picked up my first two pack of AVR. lets see what I get:
Searchlight Geist
Malicious Intent
Fervent Cathar
Cloudshift
Scalding Devil
Wandering Wolf
Borderland Ranger
Essence Harvest
Alchemist's Apprentice
Marrow Bats
Havengul Vampire
Stern Mentor
Revenge of the Hunted
Plains
Mad Prophet

So, off the top of my head, I see nothing incredible in this pack. Revenge of the Hunted is going straight into my EDH overrun deck, as does Borderland Ranger.There's some nice stuff for control, too bad I don't play control decks. Let's see how the second pack goes:

Uncanny Speed
Lair Delve
Nettle Swine
Predator's Gambit
Ghoulflesh
Hanweir Lancer
Ghostform
Necrobite
Zealous Strike
Heirs of Stromkirk
Human Frailty
Homicidal Seclusion
Angel's Tomb
Griselbrand
Forest

YEA, Griselbrand! I actually wasn't looking for him, but now I'm thinking of paring him with Homicidal Conclusion and Predator's Gambit for a single creature deck, that be weird to see... Most of the green go into the EDH deck, and I like the Lancer and Heirs of Stromkirkk in an aggro deck. Any other suggestions?
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 30 May 2012, 14:15

thank you lord hosk for that most informative breakdown
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 May 2012, 15:01

Havengul Vampire is really good, he can be a massive bomb.

In the prerelease I won two of my games with a turn four Havengul Vampire turn 5 thatchers revolt.

Most of that first pack is pretty good overall it doesnt have a lot of poop.

Fervent Cather pretty much just gets two damage in, Cloudshift saves your guys, Essence Harvest can completely reverse a late game. Wandering wolf doesnt look that good but it avoids 1/1's and if it gets any pump is unstoppable.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 30 May 2012, 15:51

Can you make your own games for Draft? I'd like to do one with all Avacyn Restored cause I like that set, but all of them seem 2012, which I don't care for.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 30 May 2012, 16:00

I'm pretty sure AVR enters wide release on MTGO this weekend.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 30 May 2012, 16:07

Ah, I'll have to check it out then I suppose. Is there any way to join a specific game with others, so anyone on here who wants to can play?
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 30 May 2012, 16:34

AVR is already available for drafting. Not private drafts like you're talking about, but... It's under "Release Queues" and not "Limited Queues".
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 May 2012, 17:12

You can do private drafts?

[–]Graham_LRR
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 30 May 2012, 17:57

Under_Score wrote:AVR is already available for drafting. Not private drafts like you're talking about, but... It's under "Release Queues" and not "Limited Queues".

Bleh, all of those seem to be full. It looks like you'll have to sign up a full day before or so if you want to get in one. I'd like to have a calmer, smaller one or something like that. 64 seems like a LOT of people for each draft. Seems like it'd be more fun with smaller..
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 30 May 2012, 17:58

Kapol wrote:
Under_Score wrote:AVR is already available for drafting. Not private drafts like you're talking about, but... It's under "Release Queues" and not "Limited Queues".

Bleh, all of those seem to be full. It looks like you'll have to sign up a full day before or so if you want to get in one. I'd like to have a calmer, smaller one or something like that. 64 seems like a LOT of people for each draft. Seems like it'd be more fun with smaller..

No no no. You're looking at the scheduled queues. It's under released queues. Those are just like the normal ones you find in the limited queues area.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 30 May 2012, 18:04

Yea, I noticed them now. Anyone here up for trying to all join one at about the same time so we can play together? What are, roughly, the chances of that working?
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 30 May 2012, 18:12

I might be up for it, but if we do it tonight, it would be somewhat short notice for anyone else. And... I think it'd probably work fine if we set an /exact/ time for us all to join... and were okay with us likely getting split into at least two games.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 30 May 2012, 18:20

Well, it doesn't HAVE to be today. The weekends work well for me, likely sometime during the night (EST for timezone). The next couple days I'll be busy with school and FNM, but after that I should be free for a while.
CompletelyUnsure
First Video: Unskippable? I found this through 0Punc.

Postby CompletelyUnsure » 30 May 2012, 18:44

Lord Hosk wrote:Havengul Vampire is really good, he can be a massive bomb....

Most of that first pack is pretty good overall it doesnt have a lot of poop.

I didn't think any of them were BAD cards, just there were things I could really use in the decks I have now. But the Havegul-Thatcher combo is really nice, didn't think of that. Thanks for the advice.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 May 2012, 20:48

I heard rumor of a guy doing a red white deck on day two of the sealed

Turn three SilverBlade Paladin, Turn Four Havengul Vampire, Turn Five Thatcher, turn six Are you kidding? there was no turn six there were just tears.

[–]Graham_LRR
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 30 May 2012, 21:12

You know what apparently goes great in a GW deck? Gisela. (What I'm saying is I finally won a draft on MTGO. ^^)
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 31 May 2012, 10:02

Bought a AVR booster. got a Foil Wolfir Silverheart, I should really sell these damn cards when i get them >.>
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 31 May 2012, 19:32

I went to Thursday night drafts at my local shop to use up the last of my store credit and get a little more experience, only three people were showed up. So the store owner (former pro) his three buddies (2 former pros 1 current)and they called a couple more guys they know in. My frist round was against "The Inovator" Patrick Chapin or so I was told I dont follow the game enough to know who anyone was, I know he was good and I know he won. I went 0-4 Perfect score.

The owner who was sitting to my right and passed to me on two go rounds said "im sorry I know what you got passed, you had no chance even against normal opponents." He and two other guys gave me all their cards, I kept three and sold the rest. I went in with $27 in store credit to burn, I now how $84 :oops:

[–]Graham_LRR

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”