The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby RadioshackRaider » 14 Apr 2015, 15:08

So I've built a new Standard deck, something I rarely do. It's nowhere near the best it could be, but it's built out of what I had

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-04-15-sHY-rw-aggro/
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 15 Apr 2015, 07:27

I only play magic at a friend's house. He has six EDH decks and we all roll a dice to see which one get. My favorite is a black/red that I have dubbed the "dick deck" or the "fast-forward" deck because it has a tendency to speed up the game.
Oh, what's this? No one can gain life. Oh, and now we're all losing half our life on our upkeep phase. Also I have tiny minions that get out first or second turn and start poking people for damage, because if you're not taking advantage of your speed with a speed deck then I don't think you're doing it right.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Apr 2015, 10:48

OK, here's a question. If you're running mainly one color and splashing two other colors, but the two other colors you're splashing are only in multicolor cards that also include your main color, should you run a couple of fixing lands for both the other colors, or several fixers that are your main color and one of the others?

The deck I'm creating is Sultai, focused on black. My only green and blue cards are either black/green or black/blue, less than a handful when put together. I'm wondering if I should just run some Thornwood Falls instead of spreading it out with Dismal Backwaters and Jungle Hollows.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 15 Apr 2015, 16:41

RadioshackRaider wrote:So I've built a new Standard deck, something I rarely do. It's nowhere near the best it could be, but it's built out of what I had

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-04-15-sHY-rw-aggro/

If you can get your hand on Roast, that would be something I'd definitely look to getting. Also it seems to be a bit more burn focused then aggro with your deck. I'd go for some of those burn spells taken up to a 4x of if you can. Looks pretty good though for a basic deck!

For my own standard deck, I took Chris VanMeter's RG 'Aggro' list from SCG Open first weekend of April and Jason Chung's RG Dragons list from the Pro Tour and mashed em together into my own hybrid RG Dragons list. I think it should hold its own during Game Day: Check the decklist out here.

I'm also looking to build an Esper (WUB) Control list and an Abzan (GWB) Control deck to go with my smashy bashy burn Dragons deck.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 15 Apr 2015, 17:00

Every set I'm on the lookout for combo decks.

Current thoughts are Purpheros/Impact Tremors and Secure the Wastes.
Ascendency is could still be a thing as well.

Both are weak to Dromoka's Command though.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 15 Apr 2015, 19:04

I'm currently trying to figure out what I'm going to run for Game Day myself. The problem is that I don't really have anything for making a specific deck, since I've been pretty much just trading/selling everything and anything. I have/will have a playset of Brimaz. I think it'd be fun to play with him.

I tried making a few decks just to see what'd work well. I've done stuff like mono-white agro, Simic Morph, and B/W Warriors. But I've realized I don't really have many of the cards for those. I tried only using cards I have by making a Temur 'good stuff' deck. But I don't think it's consistant enough. I could just do mono-green. I have the coursers at least, and a couple of mono-G Surrak. I also have a set of Rattleclaws I could use. But I'm just not sure if that's the right way to go.

Of course, I might just try doing W/R tokens. Use a bit of the mono-white base. Put in Purphoros and maybe Impact Tremors, Hordling Outburst, Raise The Alarm, Dragon Fodder, Spear of Heliod for pump (if I can get a couple), Soul of Theros for a finisher, burn, and War Flare, Trumpet Blast, or Volcanic Rush.

But I could go full Mardu. I have Thoughtsieze, Ascendancy, and a Brutal Hordechief. But I don't have scrylands or pain lands. I have the R/B fetch, lifelands, and the tri-land. but that's about it.

I don't know. I want to play in Game Day, but I don't know if I can get stuff around in time. Then again, if there's only 8 people, I might just put 60 lands in a deck without telling anyone. Then I'll complain about getting mana-flooded all the time. When it's over, only then will I reveal the truth.

AdmiralMemo wrote:OK, here's a question. If you're running mainly one color and splashing two other colors, but the two other colors you're splashing are only in multicolor cards that also include your main color, should you run a couple of fixing lands for both the other colors, or several fixers that are your main color and one of the others?

The deck I'm creating is Sultai, focused on black. My only green and blue cards are either black/green or black/blue, less than a handful when put together. I'm wondering if I should just run some Thornwood Falls instead of spreading it out with Dismal Backwaters and Jungle Hollows.

I think it depends on a number of things. Like how important are the other two colors, as well as how quickly you'll need them. How soon do you want to have untapped black mana, and how much strictly black mana do you need? As it stands, I don't like the idea of only running 4 lands that produce splash colors in a 60 card deck. So your best bet might be a combination. Maybe 2 Backwaters, 4 Falls, and 2 Hollows.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Apr 2015, 19:44

OK, I've counted them and I've got 5 cards: two 3-drops, one 4-drop, 1 5-drop, and 1 6-drop. None of them are strictly important to my deck. They're my bombs or my stall-breakers, and the deck is filled with lots of big-butted creatures, so I can be patient. (I expect at least 2 of the multicolors to be just straight removal magnets.) I want the untapped black mana like right away. I tried 4 Falls and 4 Opulent Palaces, with the rest Swamps. and it seemed OK, but I have only played 2 games with it so far, so I don't think that's enough testing yet.

Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 15 Apr 2015, 20:35

It might be helpful if we could see the decklist. But something like 4 x Opulent Palace, 2 x Dismal Backwater, 2 x Jungle Hollow, 2 x Thornwood Falls, or 4 x Opulent Palace, 4 x Thornwood Falls could work.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 15 Apr 2015, 21:55

Derp, I completely forgot about Opulent Palace. I think just 4 Palace and 4 Falls would be ideal. That way you have 8 Green/Blue sorces in the deck, and the rest of your mana can be untapped black lands. If you have access to fetches, you could also play an island or two, and as many Polluted Deltas as you can.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 15 Apr 2015, 22:41

Admiral Memo, you should spread it, I think it works better this way. when all your duals give you your main color. I used to run Temple of Plenty in my Abzan list, which is mostly black based because of all the removal, but I found it difficult to hit double black early in the games so I switched to just Temples of Malady and Silence.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Apr 2015, 03:15

Alright. I think I've found the list that I'm going to play. W/R tokens. Opinions? Especially compared to the other ones I presented? I'm considering splashing blue for Jeskai Ascendancy + charm. But I'm not sure if it's worth it. Plus, it seems hard on my mana base. I do have the W/U fetches, as well as all the lifelands/trilands.
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 18 Apr 2015, 13:57

The link to your deck isn't working Kapol :c Or at least it isn't working for me.

Just got back from GP Krakow, it was crazy. There were so many pro players and it was so strange seeing them in real life instead of computer screen.
I was playing in the main event and went 3:3 and then dropped. I'm feeling pretty good about it, considering that it was my first GP.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Apr 2015, 14:41

Gotta start them young...

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 18 Apr 2015, 16:00

LokiTheLiar wrote:The link to your deck isn't working Kapol :c Or at least it isn't working for me.

I think I fixed it. Deck was private. Ended up playing the deck and doing badly. Thanks to someone oversleeping, I didn't end up having the four Purphoros I needed. Ended up playing three. Considering he's the entire combo piece for the deck, that was really frustrating. Ended up going 1-2. Match 1 I just lost to Abzan Midrange stealing all my stuff game one, and not hitting a Tremors/Purphoros game 2 and getting Drowned In Sorrow twice. Match 2 went pretty well. We ended up playing 7 games, with me winning 5. He had a kind of durdly deck based on the R/G DTK intro deck with some changes. The games I lost were due to Harbringer of the Hunt one game, and Dragonlord Atarka another. Match 3 was lost due to opponent getting lifelinkers down game 1 and 3. If not for that, I would have gotten them both pretty easily. But it happens. The deck was mostly for fun. I just kind of regret putting $20 into it now.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 18 Apr 2015, 16:02

AdmiralMemo wrote:*snip*
Gotta start them young...

*cringe*
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 19 Apr 2015, 08:45

I had my first Magic event yesterday. I may have lost 8, but I did win 1 game!

I had a Colossus (10/10, Defender and Indestructible) that I turned monstrous (+10/+10, lose defender and gain trample) and added a haunted plate mail to make a 24/24, with Indestructible and Trample, monster.

The dude I was facing even had a planeswalker that allowed him to summon a but-ton of monsters, but even that wasn't enough.

I felt really bad since he was like "There is nothing I can do about this! How do I even?"

I had to leave before the announced the standings, but I think I came dead last; not that I really mind, since I'll take that win and run with it!
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 19 Apr 2015, 08:54

Congratulations on your colossal win. Ahem. Unreasonably huge creatures are entertaining on either side of the battlefield, I wouldn't feel bad about it.

I think its now been over a month since I played magic. I'm twitching. Help.
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 19 Apr 2015, 16:17

Retire Champion!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 20 Apr 2015, 02:13

I'm thinking about building a standard legal "Who needs colour?" deck, and I'm debating whether I want it to be purely colourless or if I want to splash blue for a playset of Renowned Weaponsmith. I feel like the ramp is very worth it, especially if I wind up with multiple copies of both Pilgrim of the Fires and Colossus of Akros. Any opinions?
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 20 Apr 2015, 02:18

Splashing blue is definitely worth it since it gives you access to not only the Renowned Weaponsmith but also Ensoul Artifact and Reality Shift, as well as potential counterspells in the sideboard.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 20 Apr 2015, 09:37

So this was my game day deck
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/green-white-stuff-i-had/

This is literally the first deck of any format I have built in about 6 years, probably the first standard deck I've ever built. I very much a limited player. I'll jump into magic and draft for 6 months to a year then drop out again. Its just been my trend.

I somehow managed to win at game day, it was a smaller event though, only 8 people (I chose that store for that reason). But I would love some feedback on the deck, ways to improve it. I already have some ideas of my own, but I'd love to hear yours first
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 20 Apr 2015, 10:47

Your deck seems fun, you have a lot of +1/+1 counter interactions. You could upgrade you manabase with Temple of Plenty but it's not necessary. I think that addition of Valorous Stance and Dromoka's Command could make your deck much better though. You could replace Return to Earth and Sandblast with them.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 21 Apr 2015, 22:40

So, here's the link to my first draft of this artifact-based deck. The intended theme of the deck is legal in current Standard, focused on artifacts, and coloured cards can be played using only blue mana. With that in mind, any and all advice is appreciated.
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 22 Apr 2015, 09:41

I don't know how competetive you want to be, so forgive me if I will sound too spikey.

You really should run some Ornithopters and maybe some other cheaper artifact creatures, otherwise all the aggro decks will run you over before you cast anything relevant. Maybe Ugin's Construct would be good, since you run almost no colored creatures. Ornithopter would also give you a chance to outrace your oponent if you get it on turn one and put an Ensoul Artifact on it turn two. You should probably also run some other form of card draw in place of Interpret the Signs. That card's mana cost is a little bit too high. Maybe Anticipate could work? It is cheaper, instant speed, and gives you a selection. Or maybe a Bident of Thassa would be better since you want to be artifact focused?
You should probably run some number of Negates and Disdainful Strokes in the sideboard, they will do a lot of work for against many decks in the current meta.
A lot of current Mono Blue Devotion lists run the artifact packages, you could probably borrow some of the techs they're using.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 22 Apr 2015, 12:56

Yeah, Interpret the Signs seemed expensive to me, which is why this draft only features two instead of four. Anticipate seems doable (and would be the first non-land common in the deck).

What would you cut for the Ornithopters, and how many?

Negates and Distainful Strokes will be easy to add. I assume these over Dissipate because they're cheaper?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”