The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby SohNata » 06 Mar 2015, 15:49

Day one of GP Liverpool is definitely a success, as I managed to beat LSV!
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 06 Mar 2015, 15:57

Awesome, good job! Give us details?
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 08 Mar 2015, 14:30

So I just found my Modern deck. I gave it a quick type up. Any thoughts on what I should add, other then Inkmoth Nexus, which I don't own?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-03-15 ... ug-infect/
SohNata

Postby SohNata » 08 Mar 2015, 14:35

fantôme wrote:Awesome, good job! Give us details?

They had a table to spell-sling versus the pros. Naturally, I chose LSV and some Mini Masters, in which I definitely didn't luck out with a great curve and didn't end up having Crater's Claws. He also opened a Cruise and Dig through time which he kindly signed. Have to say, he's a really friendly guy.

I chaos drafted a lot, including one with multiple LRR fans which was sweet. Calling over a judge to get them to explain how Phasing works was certainly a new experience...Chaos Drafting in general is sweet.

Main event I was eliminated fairly early, after punting my way out. In Turn 4 of extra turns, I could've killed my opponent's biggest threat. Instead I waited until turn 5 in-case he had shenanigans and he drew a Valorous Stance to get there. There was no reason I shouldn't have done it on 4 incase he did. I didn't play well and also got myself a game loss for accidently forgetting to sideboard. Although I did call myself on it and still won that round.

Saw a ton of LRR fans including ones in Shirts, Hoodies and Kickstarter backer shirts (thought I'd be the only one!) and the judges seem to be big fans too. Said hi to a few; you're all great people.

All in all an excellent weekend. If you get the chance to GP, do it!
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 08 Mar 2015, 14:40

I have to admit, I'm a little curious about GP Liverpool. the 4 judges of my LGS went and one of them posted on Facebook the judges at the event seemed to be a bit awful as it were, so what was it actually like?
SohNata

Postby SohNata » 08 Mar 2015, 15:02

RadioshackRaider wrote:I have to admit, I'm a little curious about GP Liverpool. the 4 judges of my LGS went and one of them posted on Facebook the judges at the event seemed to be a bit awful as it were, so what was it actually like?

Can't say I had any negatives, barring the Wizards reporter delaying side-events for an hour or so on Saturday. Maybe other people had a rougher weekend, but I can't say I had any problems, particularly with the judges (To be honest, the friendliness of them has prompted me to look into going down that path...)
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 08 Mar 2015, 15:04

RadioshackRaider wrote:So I just found my Modern deck. I gave it a quick type up. Any thoughts on what I should add, other then Inkmoth Nexus, which I don't own?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-03-15 ... ug-infect/

Here are some cards from stock lists that fall into a somewhat loose definition of "budget":
  • Wild Defiance
  • Rancor
  • Might of Old Krosa
  • Spell Pierce
  • Rancor
  • Cathedral of War
  • Nature's Claim (for sideboard)
Your list has the right idea for an Infect deck, but needs to be a bit leaner to be competitive in Modern (if that's what you're aiming for.) Generally, the cheaper the spells are in Eternal formats, the better they are, even if they don't provide as good of an effect; hence, I'd take out Biomass Mutation, Dissipate, Viridian Corrupter, and Putrefax and fit in lower-drop spells.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 08 Mar 2015, 15:33

I've found that I actually really need the creatures. Without them, my deck just full on crumbles to most forms of control, which it's already weak to. I'll definitely look at Rancor and Spell Pierce since I know I have some of 'em. I need to build a proper sideboard for this thing. I built this because there was a modern event at my LGS and I knew I'd be going up against stuff like Affinity so playing my Quest for Ula's Temple deck seemed stupid.
steric hindrance

Postby steric hindrance » 08 Mar 2015, 16:15

Yeah, having a critical mass of creatures is important (hence why Inkmoth Nexus is a 4-of; it can't be killed by sorcery-speed removal). If the Nexi aren't an option, how about Ichorclaw Myr? It has synergy with Rancor and is cheaper as a two-drop.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 09 Mar 2015, 05:42

Ichorclaw Myr is actually a really good choice, as is Necropede, which is another 1/1 Infect artifact creature for 2, but when it dies, you can -1/-1 a creature, which could eliminate blockers from your opponents' side. Also, if you're going uG, Mizzium Skin or Ranger's Guile also wouldn't be a bad idea for protection, in addition to Apostle's Blessing.
Credit to Foxmar
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 09 Mar 2015, 05:59

So I want to get into modern, via Merfolk but I don't know where to start/look. Can I get a few suggestions?
steric hindrance

Postby steric hindrance » 09 Mar 2015, 06:52

ElFuzzy wrote:So I want to get into modern, via Merfolk but I don't know where to start/look. Can I get a few suggestions?

You can find some lists here:
http://www.mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=192&meta=51&f=MO
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/mo ... 448#online
Hope this helps.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 09 Mar 2015, 07:08

Yeah i managed to stumble upon that mono blue merfolk list from Top8 myself. I think I'll try that one since it's slightly cheaper with the absence of fetchlands.
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 09 Mar 2015, 14:20

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the- ... 60-merfolk

Here's a few pages of discussion on modern merfolk. It's how I got into eternal too.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 09 Mar 2015, 17:06

Shaman of Spring is my new favourite card. Why? I just love, love, love the artwork!

Maybe I need to think about making a Green/White deck that just has Angels and Elves. I'd call it: "Not exactly good for a match, but LOOK AT THE ARTWORK! *Squee!*"

Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 09 Mar 2015, 18:07

Yup she's pretty spectacular. I've been trying to do something with Shaman of Spring, Summer Bloom, Edge of Autumn & Winterflame.

Johannes Voss has a lot of art I really love, and I'm so happy that you can search Gatherer by artist. Also there should be a mtg art thread in this forum.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 10 Mar 2015, 16:22

So I kinda took that idea and actually made a deck that of cards I find pretty rather than strictly good. : 3

1x Ornithopter [0] (0/2)
1x Nature's Panoply [1G] (-/-)
1x Hero of Leina Tower [1G] (1/1)
1x Soulmender [1W] (1/1)
1x Loyal Pegasus [1W] (2/1)
2x Elvish Mystic [1G] (1/1)
1x Sunblade Elf [1G] (1/1)
2x Fleetfeather Sandals [2] (-/-)
2x Nylea's Presence [1|1G] (-/-)
1x Cavalry Pegasus [1|1W] (1/1)
2x Satyr Grovedancer [1|1G] (1/1)
1x Oreskos Sun Guide [1|1W] (2/2)
1x Karametra's Favor [1|1G] (-/-)
1x Chosen by Heliod [1|1W] (-/-)
1x Voyaging Satyr [1|1G] (1/2)
1x Guardians of Meletis [3] (0/6)
2x Opaline Unicorn [3] (1/2)
1x Wingsteed Rider [1|2W] (2/2)
1x Scholar of Athreos [2|1W] (1/4)
1x Eidolon of Rhetoric [2|1W] (1/4)
1x Banishing Light [2|1W] (-/-)
1x Chariot of Victory [3] (-/-)
1x Shaman of Spring [3|1G] (2/2)
1x Heliod's Emissary [3|1W] (3/3)
1x Iroas, God of Victory [2|1R|1W] (7/4)
1x Ephara's Warden [3|1W] (1/2)
1x Great Hart [3|1W] (2/4)
1x Haunted Plate Mail [4] (-/-)
1x Market Festival [3|1G] (-/-)
1x Serra Angel [3|2W] (4/4)
1x Tireless Missionaries [4|1W] (2/3)
1x Aegis Angel [4|2W] (5/5)
1x Gold-Forged Sentinel [6] (4/4)
1x Seraph of the Masses [5|2W] (*/*)
1x Colossus of Akros [8] (10/10)
2x Wind-Scarred Crag
2x Rugged Highlands
2x Blossoming Sands
1x Radiant Fountain
10x Plains
10x Forests

(Others if playing non-standard)
1x Dryad Militant [1G/W] (2/1)
1x Swift Justice [1W] (-/-)
1x Sundering Growth [2G/W] (-/-)
1x Druid's Deliverance [1|1G] (-/-)
1x Seller of Songbirds [2|1W] (1/2)
1x Warleader's Helix [2|1G|1R] (-/-)
1x Gleam of Battle [4|1R|1W] (-/-)
5x Mountains

Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 13 Mar 2015, 16:44

Man, I don't know why but the DtK spoilers just don't excite me. Like I look at the Khans and fate cards and they look so cool, and then I look at the Dragons cards and just go "eh, nothing special". I hope I'm wrong but I am not looking forward to this limited environment.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 15 Mar 2015, 09:00

So with all the big dragons that are being spoiled left and right, my old Khans blue tempo fliers deck is looking like it's not going to stand up well. An Icefeather Aven or Mistfire Weaver just splats on the windshield of a dragon!

I kinda sat out the entire KTK/FRF environment after the prerelease - wasn't really feeling it I guess. Looking at the spoilers and such, there's two possible decks I could make:

- Green/black big butts with Disowned Ancestor, Kin-Tree Invocation, Grim Contest, Sultai Flayer, Sultai Archer, and (of course) the new enchantment Assault Formation. Maybe some Rotting Mammoths as well. The idea here would be to leverage things like Kin-Tree Invocation, Assault Formation, and Butt Fight to knock dragons outta the sky with a swing of the booty. The problem is that this deck would be slow to start against more aggressive weenie-style decks, and might have trouble sticking enough butts in the air to stop a dragon-heavy deck.

- Mono-white outlast. Basically cram the white outlast lords (Abzan Battle Priest, Abzan Falconer, Ainok Bond-Kin) together with Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit and other bolstering creatures from FRF and Dragons. This could add green for things like Hardened Scales, Fleecemane Lions etc if needed. I'm kinda leaning towards this one, as it's an outgrowth of my existing Abzan deck, but it'd definitely need more removal to take out things like dragons.

Which should I go with?
It's fish in a tin!
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 18 Mar 2015, 19:37

Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 19 Mar 2015, 17:26

Is it weird that the color combos I want to play in Dragons of Tarkir are actually the enemy-colour pairs? Green/blue isn't much of anything in Dragons, but B/W Warriors still seems valid (esp. in Standard where you can add the ones from Khans incl. the Chiefs), Green/Black seems interesting (Kin-Tree Invocation, Butt Fight, etc as above), Blue/Red control/burn is always potent, and I kinda feel like I wish I could play Red/White aggro at the prerelease. Instead I'm hoping to go Dromoka or Ojutai.
It's fish in a tin!
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 21 Mar 2015, 01:27

So I was talking with a guy at the prerelease tonight, going through my book 'o random rares, when we came across Dictate of Erebos ... and I said "Y'know, that'd go really well with Silumgar's Exploit mechanic". And then I said "It feels like Exploit really needs some kind of token generator" and he said "You could go Grixis, use Hordeling Outburst". And I started to cackle maniacally and said "You could go Grixis ... and add Mogis, God of Slaughter!"

And now I really want to make an Exploit/Dictate/Mogis deck, maybe with Palace Siege in it too because Palace Siege is just adding insult to injury.
It's fish in a tin!
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 21 Mar 2015, 06:52

Tinfish wrote:So I was talking with a guy at the prerelease tonight, going through my book 'o random rares, when we came across Dictate of Erebos ... and I said "Y'know, that'd go really well with Silumgar's Exploit mechanic". And then I said "It feels like Exploit really needs some kind of token generator" and he said "You could go Grixis, use Hordeling Outburst". And I started to cackle maniacally and said "You could go Grixis ... and add Mogis, God of Slaughter!"

And now I really want to make an Exploit/Dictate/Mogis deck, maybe with Palace Siege in it too because Palace Siege is just adding insult to injury.

Deck name - Exploit exploits.
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 23 Mar 2015, 15:59

I passed my L1 judge exam today :D
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 26 Mar 2015, 11:27

Congratulations hascow! One of us! One of us!
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”