The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby JackSlack » 22 Feb 2016, 22:47

Kapol wrote:We're getting a new Conspiracy set everyone. A fact that honestly surprised me.

My birthday is August 21st. The next Friday I get new Conspiracy.

Wizards gave me the best birthday present ever. :)
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 23 Feb 2016, 14:52

The Reign of King Brago is the name, but it seems like it may be cut short. https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/statu ... 3217197057
KeiranLC
First Video: unskippable

Postby KeiranLC » 24 Feb 2016, 08:11

BlueChloroplast wrote:The Reign of King Brago is the name, but it seems like it may be cut short. https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/statu ... 3217197057

Cut short it has! http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... nspiracy-2

Kudos to WotC, the new announcement this morning on the mothership was a nice touch.
Last edited by KeiranLC on 24 Feb 2016, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
KeiranLC

Postby KeiranLC » 24 Feb 2016, 08:14

fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 24 Feb 2016, 09:02

KeiranLC wrote:Cut short it has! http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... nspiracy-2

Kudos to WotC, the new announcement this morning on the mothership was a nice touch.

The "Number of cards" is really cute.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 24 Feb 2016, 09:48

I'll admit, I was kind of bummed by the lack of ARG for the new Conspiracy. This actually makes up for it.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 24 Feb 2016, 18:45

Hmmm, Just before PAXAus...
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
KeiranLC

Postby KeiranLC » 26 Feb 2016, 09:15

Well, it looks like the throne didn't remain empty for long! Conspiracy: Take the Crown is probably the final name for the set. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... nspiracy-2
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 Feb 2016, 13:43

Sadly, I think that name is quite a bit worse than the other two. It sounds more like a tagline than anything. But oh well. Not going to stop the hype train for Conspiracy 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 02 Mar 2016, 11:56

Arlinn Kord. Werewolf lady Planeswalker.
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 05 Mar 2016, 21:12

I'm super hyped about the new trailer. And so sad I'm not getting to participate in all the fun stuff they're doing at the GPs.
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 06 Mar 2016, 08:57

NEW AAAAAVACYN! Now with twice the Hot Topic! (I stole that joke).
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 07 Mar 2016, 09:45

Hoooly crap you guys, I need to talk about this card they just spoiled (officially!), because it is amazing. It's a DFC, tried to put it in a spoiler:

ImageImage

Where do I even begin. The flavor is great: old vampires are sneakier, and so it digs into the slightly-less-universally-used Dracula lore superpower of transforming into mist.

The transform is an old spellshaper ability, meaning you discard for it, in a set with Madness.

The mist is an indestructible hexproof unblockable which is amazing and available at instant speed to protect the 4/4 for 4 in the WORST case scenaro.

You can flip it back for 3 if you haven't voltronned the mist up so much that you don't need the extra four power, then rinse repeat.

On every level, flavor, mechanics, playability in a format I care about (limited for sure, maaaaayyyyybe some constructed uses in casual formats like the ones I play), this is an amazing card that I am excited to see in action. I am officially on the SoI hype train.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
square1

Postby square1 » 07 Mar 2016, 10:56

I love that vampire into mist mechanic :) The reversed art of the mist creeping in through the window is great too.

I got similar happy feelings from Thing in the Ice

The ship sailing in with the thing trapped in the iceberg is beautiful, the concept evokes some lovely Lovecraftian horror, and a 0/4 for 2 that turns into a giant monster that bounces the board is the dream for blue decks. I cannot wait to play this.
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 07 Mar 2016, 11:37

Yeah, the flavor is off the charts amazing for both cards. I love it.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Mar 2016, 15:04

The ONLY thing that bugs me about the Tormentor/Mist card... is the fact that, while this is supposed to clearly be a before/after image of the same event, and this is the same room, same guy in the room, etc... The window grate is wrong... On the Tormentor side, the lattice is 4-across and large, and on the Mist side, it's 6-across and small. Image
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

fantôme

Postby fantôme » 07 Mar 2016, 15:39

AdmiralMemo wrote:The ONLY thing that bugs me about the Tormentor/Mist card... is the fact that, while this is supposed to clearly be a before/after image of the same event, and this is the same room, same guy in the room, etc... The window grate is wrong... On the Tormentor side, the lattice is 4-across and large, and on the Mist side, it's 6-across and small. Image

Oh god, you're right. And now that I look at it, the hand in the foreground of Insidious Mist seems to indicate that the window is to the guy inside's left, but on Elusive Tormentor the window is to his right...

Nonetheless, still hyped. Two awesome flip cards today.
korvys

Postby korvys » 07 Mar 2016, 17:24

I think it looks fine? The lattice is cut off on the top and right side, so you don't know how many across it is, and in the second pic it's further away, so it's smaller (perspective!).

As for the positioning, the lighting is different, which indicates this is a different point in time, and people do move.

This vampire has (as indicated in the flavour text) patience. They have waited until the coast was clear, the fire has burned down, and now sneak in.

keybase.io
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 08 Mar 2016, 16:47

I am interested in learning how to play Magic, but I have absolutely no interest in any form of constructed, and I don't want to play online. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do other than just show up at my FLGS and pretend like I know what I'm doing in a draft?
square1

Postby square1 » 08 Mar 2016, 18:21

unpronounceable wrote:I am interested in learning how to play Magic, but I have absolutely no interest in any form of constructed, and I don't want to play online. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do other than just show up at my FLGS and pretend like I know what I'm doing in a draft?

Show up to your FLGS early and ask for advice from the veterans or the judge. Check if someone has time and pick their brain both for universal tips and to get a feel for what your local group is like. For example some stores enforce Zone drafting, and it helps to know about that ahead of time.

Watch videos on how to draft in general such as Tap Tap Concede's video from a while back.

You can also try things like setting up a friendly unsanctioned draft or drafting someone's Cube and seeing if someone will look over your shoulder and give advice or offer feedback when the draft ends. Cube is a great way to practice draft fundamentals.

And of course in the BFZ / Oath draft, be aware that Expedition full art foil non-basic lands exist, know what they look like, and never pass one because they're worth a ton of money. My FLGS still reminds everyone before every draft about that because no one wants someone to feel bad about passing up a $100+ card.

I hope that helps!

P.S. And if you literally haven't played any Magic at all, I might suggest starting with something like the Duel Deck pre-constructed decks and asking someone if they'd use those to help you learn the basic rules of the game. Jumping straight into a draft if you've never played is going to be a rough ride. Duel decks tend to be fairly straight forward and balanced. You need to know how the cards work and get an idea of how they interact in actual play before you can start evaluating them for draft picks.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 09 Mar 2016, 09:38

@unpronounceable - solid advice above, definitely seconding starting with duel decks if you're brand new. Some LGSs will also have introductory sessions. After that, I actually learned quite a lot from lrrmtg videos.

Good luck and have fun!
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 09 Mar 2016, 14:55

SIGARDAAA!!!~
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 09 Mar 2016, 15:52

Thanks for the advice. I'm not completely new. I think it's most accurate to say I know how to play, but have absolutely no game sense. I learned how to play 12 years ago or something, but only played a really simple deck. It was a mono green deck, and the strategy was basically play creatures that tap for mana, and put big guys on the board ASAP. So, pretty dead simple.

That TTC episode popped up randomly in my youtube recommendations, and that's what actually spurred my interest.

Are these the expedition lands I should keep foils of? http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2015-09-17
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 09 Mar 2016, 16:59

OK, so if you know how to play the game (or at least, enough to get by), then you could probably do worse than just showing up at a draft at your LGS and diving in. That's how I got started, anyway.

Obviously it'll vary from one LGS to the next, but they'll probably be happy to have someone new around, and walk you through the draft process etc.

Your first deck will probably be awful... it took me the better part of a year before I started being any good, before that I was consistently second-last place almost every week... but as long as you're having fun, you can keep practicing and learning.

unpronounceable wrote:Are these the expedition lands I should keep foils of? http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/all-expeditions-2015-09-17

Those from Battle for Zendikar, and these from Oath of the Gatewatch. They're pretty distinctive, with that frame, but just know going in that they're super rare and valuable, so if you have the supreme luck of opening one, you'll want to grab it (and be careful with it).
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
korvys

Postby korvys » 09 Mar 2016, 17:10

Does "I don't want to play online" mean not in any digital format, or just not on the internet? Because the Duels of the Planeswalkers games on consoles and on steam are pretty solid for learning.

Otherwise, a lot of people will have more than one deck with them if you go to you LGS, and might be willing to play some games. The stores often have intro decks which are simpler decks they use for teaching people.

The duel decks are pretty good as well, if you have someone to play with.

Cube is a good way to learn to draft in general, and will likely be free, but you need to know someone with a cube, and the cards are likely to be on the more complex end.

Drafting is a good way to start in general, but can be expensive. On the other hand, you get to keep the cards, so a lot of the cost is put into building a collections, something you'd have to spend money on anyway.

keybase.io

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”