The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Ollie, don'tcha know!
First Video: Bagel Time

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread yet?

Postby Ollie, don'tcha know! » 28 May 2011, 01:51

@Lyinginbedmon, I really know what you mean about diluting decks.
My Green Ramp has just about hit the balance between rampers and fattes that benifit from the ramping. Then everyone keeps telling me to get some flying defence, and some card draw, and some removal, and some counter spells. It's just too carefuly balanced to mess around with too much.
I think this place is full of spies. I think they're onto me.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 28 May 2011, 11:03

I just bought a New Phyrexia fat pack despite having no one to play against on a regular basis...even the nostalgia from playing Magic is a powerfully addictive force.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Roadie
First Video: phailhouse

Postby Roadie » 29 May 2011, 23:28

Magosi the Waterveil - land - comes into play tapped
tap: add u to your mana pool
u+tap:put an eon counter on magosi, the waterveil, skip your next turn
tap:remove an eon counter from Magosi, the waterveil and return it to its owner's hand: take an extra turn after this one

this card seems rather broken, consider this situation: proliferate deck with land searching cards gives you a repeatable extra turn which you can play the land tapped, have another untapped from previous turn and have counters continuously being added.
Robert Merlow
First Video: Phailhaus 11

Postby Robert Merlow » 30 May 2011, 00:59

That requires you to skip 2 turns, allowing your opponent to gain insane card advantage. They are allowed to take two turns in a row, and if you have 2, that translates into 2 instances of that. Broken? If you want to lose out on two turns and have your opponent gain on you. Too risky to be viable.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 May 2011, 02:16

More effective method would be to find a reliable way to add eon counters to it outside of its own ability. To my knowledge however, there are none.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 30 May 2011, 02:52

Roadie wrote:Magosi the Waterveil - land - comes into play tapped
tap: add u to your mana pool
u+tap:put an eon counter on magosi, the waterveil, skip your next turn
tap:remove an eon counter from Magosi, the waterveil and return it to its owner's hand: take an extra turn after this one

this card seems rather broken, consider this situation: proliferate deck with land searching cards gives you a repeatable extra turn which you can play the land tapped, have another untapped from previous turn and have counters continuously being added.

that just doesnt work it goes back to your hand
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 30 May 2011, 06:51

Exactly.

You can add an Eon counter to it, at the price of giving your opponent the EXACT same benefit you're looking for.

And then what, proliferate a bazillion times to get infinite turns?
Sadly, since "return to your hand" is part of its cost, you lose any counters you put in it.

There are better infinite turn loops.

Magistrate's Scepter for example.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 May 2011, 07:40

Time Sieve, Thopter Foundry, and Sword of the Meek is my personal favourite, since it fits rather neatly into my "Suddenly, Ninjas" deck if my opponents start expecting my ninjas.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 30 May 2011, 08:31

Thopter Assembly is so much easier.

Less cards in a combo is always better.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 May 2011, 09:03

Time Sieve, Thopter Foundry, and Sword of the Meek is a 6-mana base investment, with a 5-mana cost to iterate the loop each time, with the added benefit of +5 life each time.

Time Sieve and Thopter Assembly is an 8-mana base investment, with a turn to wait as the Assembly bounces itself, and a 6-mana investment to iterate.

Fewer cards? Yes, better? Not sure myself.
Roadie

Postby Roadie » 30 May 2011, 09:10

oh yeah, i guess "charge counter" and "eon counter" are arguably different in the wording.
we've always played that a charge counter is a counter of whatever type the card needed to charge up an ability.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 30 May 2011, 09:22

Roadie wrote:oh yeah, i guess "charge counter" and "eon counter" are arguably different in the wording.
we've always played that a charge counter is a counter of whatever type the card needed to charge up an ability.

Nope, a charge counter is LITERALLY a charge counter, and an Eon Counter is an Eon counter.

Every counter, whether it be time, age, charge, loyalty, eon, awakening, ice, +1/+1, or anything else is unique, and cannot be crossed.

Even still, the loop isn't infinite, because you can only remove one counter at a time while paying the cost, and part of the cost is returning magosi to your hand, which removes all other counters as a State Based Effect(I think, it DOES remove the counters, I'm just not sure what to call it), which cannot be responded to.

Also, lying, your math is a little misleading.

Really, the three card combo requires an 11 mana-base to start, OR a 6 mana-base and two turns.

In which case it's only 2 mana cheaper than the 2 card combo, which I think is a reasonable price to pay for having only two cards in the loop.

Though, the 2 card combo has a slightly higher risk of getting one of its two pieces removed (an artifact creature is easier to get rid of than an artifact).
Roadie

Postby Roadie » 30 May 2011, 09:40

yeah it worked well when charge counters were general purpose counters :P
first turn land, second turn generic land + energy chamber, third turn next land and infinite turns begins.
put counter on one land tap and return to hand, next turn put counter on other land now able to be tapped and extra turn and play first land again.
basically stalls out the game letting you draw and have full control over what can happen. only thing that needs to be looked at is lack of land on the field without giving your opponent turns. (have to let them have a turn to play a different land

oh well, joy of house rules i guess :D

now i need to go back and look through my charger deck and see if i'm legal or not :(
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Lacerta » 31 May 2011, 04:30

Man, I remember back when the only infinite combo anyone had really figured out was Enduring Renewal + Ornithopter + Atog. I'm old.

It's always fun to pull of a combo involving a weird card people think is a junk rare though.

My favorite hilarity from NPH so far is Soul Conduit + Trespassing Souleater. Pay the souleater's ability with life 9 times to reduce your life total to two, swap life with the soul conduit, then attack with the souleater for an unblockable two damage. If Soul Conduit didn't cost so much bloody mana, it might actually be workable in constructed. It's a crazy combo that you can actually pull off in draft, though! Soul Conduit almost always tables, and Souleaters are common and plentiful.
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
Lacerta
Affable Marmot

Postby Lacerta » 31 May 2011, 04:39

SilentBobCDN wrote:Ok, because I can't fit this question in 120 characters, it goes here.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... eature/144

Maybe I'm just not fully awake yet, but I dont quite get it. I can't target planeswalkers directly (shock in the article, or say, a bolt), but I can target an opponent and have the damage go to the planeswalker instead?

The reason for the weird planeswalker damage rule is so that they don't have to issue errata to hundreds of cards to change them from saying "...damage to target creature or player" to saying "...damage to target creature or player or planeswalker".
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 31 May 2011, 08:16

No the reason is what would happen when you Blightning a planeswalker?
Roadie

Postby Roadie » 31 May 2011, 08:57

right now my favorite infin combo is a pair of myr galvanizers and a pair of mana myrs.
comes out fast usually 4 or 5 turns in without lotus, locus lands or dark ritual.
played a black/red deck and pulled it off on turn 2 for a win. first turn double dark ritual for 5mana played palladium myr and leaden myr, second turn third dark ritual and a mountain playing the pair of myr galvanizers and had drawn a fireball for third turn win
Lacerta
Affable Marmot

Postby Lacerta » 31 May 2011, 09:01

Cybren wrote:No the reason is what would happen when you Blightning a planeswalker?

They'd have to give cards like Blightning even more complicated errata with extra clauses.

Anyone else mess around with Magic Set Editor? It's fun.

theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 31 May 2011, 09:05

That card is brutal.

Two of them and that "tap two artifacts: untap target artifact" card?

And it's free?

Edit: wait no, nvm. It _is_ utterly useless.
Last edited by theDreamer on 31 May 2011, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 31 May 2011, 09:27

Roadie wrote:right now my favorite infin combo is a pair of myr galvanizers and a pair of mana myrs.
comes out fast usually 4 or 5 turns in without lotus, locus lands or dark ritual.
played a black/red deck and pulled it off on turn 2 for a win. first turn double dark ritual for 5mana played palladium myr and leaden myr, second turn third dark ritual and a mountain playing the pair of myr galvanizers and had drawn a fireball for third turn win

My Myr Engine deck is designed specifically to create that loop, and can do so as early as turn 4 for a victory with an infinite number of Myr Galvanizers.
Lacerta
Affable Marmot

Postby Lacerta » 31 May 2011, 11:12

I was gonna buy a set of Splinter Twins just for the crazy fun Myr Galvanizer combo, but then Deceiver exarch came out and the price of Splinter Twin jumped through the roof. Blerg.
Robert Merlow
First Video: Phailhaus 11

Postby Robert Merlow » 31 May 2011, 12:05

Yeah, Deceiver Exarch did that. It's nuts seeing that damn thing flash in on turn 3 and work on turn 4 while all you can do is... nothing unless you have counters in hand. I can now see the practicality of having Lightmine Field, but unless the combo is attempted on turn 5 or later, it gets there before the Lightmine Field does...

Does anyone here play on Cockatrice? I'd love to play some of you guys with the decks you've constructed without going to MGTO.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 31 May 2011, 12:18

I enjoyed playing Nevinyrral's Disk and Darksteel Forge against an opponent last night actually.

I got a Lotus Bloom running turn 1, a Coretapper out turn 2, the Disk out turn 4 with an Arcum Daggson from the Disk's mana, then turn 4 I tapped Arcum to sacrifice the Coretapper and fish out the Forge, then during their turn right before attackers were declared I tapped the Disk.

From there, I used Fabricate to get out a Prototype Portal with Myr Turbine and just kept wiping their field leaving mine untouched. They did attempt to use Lightmine Field until I reminded them that all of my artifacts were indestructible, including the 1/1 Myr tokens I was slapping them with.

Arcum is really the best in non-creature Artifact tutor, especially combined with Myr Turbine. Sort of like having Tezzeret the Seeker's second ability on tap.
Ollie, don'tcha know!
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Ollie, don'tcha know! » 31 May 2011, 12:20

I use the Card Editor to make awesome tokens. At the moment I'md deciding on what to have for my sets of 2 Ally tokens that I get from Join the Ranks.

It'll either be Mario and Luigi, Spongebob and Patrick, or photos of a guy in our playgroup called Ali. Probably gonna go for the latter
I think this place is full of spies. I think they're onto me.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 31 May 2011, 12:30

Robert Merlow wrote:Yeah, Deceiver Exarch did that. It's nuts seeing that damn thing flash in on turn 3 and work on turn 4 while all you can do is... nothing unless you have counters in hand. I can now see the practicality of having Lightmine Field, but unless the combo is attempted on turn 5 or later, it gets there before the Lightmine Field does...

Does anyone here play on Cockatrice? I'd love to play some of you guys with the decks you've constructed without going to MGTO.

Oh, but one Suture Priest, Blood Seeker, or even a Soul's Attendant can either shut that down, or make it useless.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”