The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Duckay » 06 Nov 2014, 14:06

Lord Hosk wrote:Duckay did I see you jump into a queue at like 10:55 your time?

We were getting ready to fan draft at 11:00 your time and your name or one very similar popped into the queue.

I'm sorry, I didn't see this until now. I don't think it was me, although now enough time has passed between you posting this and me seeing it that my memory could be faulty.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 06 Nov 2014, 16:54

It may not have been Duckay it could have been ducky or duckey and I misread it while saying "WAIT NO DUCKAY NOT YET" in the Lrr chat because sometimes people jump into queues early and then get mad that they didnt end up in the fan draft.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 06 Nov 2014, 17:00

I have not been great at fan drafts, because I tend to be busy on those days... and then on those days when I am free, it isn't part of my routine so I just forget that they're happening until well after. So there is a possibility that it was me, but I don't think so. Either way, I am not upset about missing the fan draft because I never make it anyway.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 06 Nov 2014, 19:56

RadioshackRaider wrote:So has anyone else taken to calling Treasure Cruise the Booze Cruise yet?

No, people just call it "Ancestral Recall"
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Nov 2014, 07:09

I call it. "that one good blue card in Kahns"

I kid you not. I said this at the draft this week and three people said "you mean treasure cruise?"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 07 Nov 2014, 08:22

It's interesting as I would respond with Dig Through Time. One being an sorcery ancestral, but Dig seems a lot better due to seeing 4 extra cards despite not being able to keep 3 + being an instant.

Obviously rarity influences prevalence in response, but in a general sense I'd reply with Dig.

EDIT: Yes, splash-ability vies in Cruise's favor but the point stands.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 07 Nov 2014, 22:14

Also, Cruise feeds the next Cruise better than Dig feeds the next Dig.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 08 Nov 2014, 11:52

Volafortis wrote:Also, Cruise feeds the next Cruise better than Dig feeds the next Dig.

How do you figure? If anything it's the opposite since you can only delve 6 cards with Dig but 7 with Cruise. Assuming an equal number of cards in your yard before you cast either, there will be one more card in your yard after digging than after Cruising
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 10 Nov 2014, 16:08

If your looking for cards to explicitly feed the next in either case, you're playing bad Magic, because you're just drawing cards to help you draw more cards.

Treasure Cruise and Dig don't NEED to be delved for the full amount I'll often gladly pay 2-3 mana for a Cruise to avoid hitting my own Goyf of Snapcaster.

The reason Cruise feeds better is that each card you draw either stays on the battlefield and helps you win, or goes in the graveyard. The "But what if lands?" argument is invalid, because there are times you'll want to get lands with Dig.

Dig is only better when the power level of cards in your deck varies greatly due to synergy, such as combo plays, or due to availability, such as limited and Standard because the smaller card pool doesn't allow for card quality equity. In limited and Standard, the quality disparity between any two given cards in your deck is going to be far greater than the quality disparity between any two given cards in a Modern, Legacy, Vintage deck, which causes Dig to be ultimately better in these formats.

However, my statement wasn't directed at Standard, I was talking Legacy, but it's true of Modern and Vintage too. In any deck with a relatively flat power level of cards played, which is true in most "fair" decks in larger formats, i.e. Vintage, Legacy, and Modern, Cruise is far better because it doesn't matter so much what you're drawing, but just that you're drawing more stuff.

For instance: When playing a Delver deck, Dig will always hit the two cards you need. You will rarely play a turn with no action so we can assume that the Delver player already has 3+ lands, if you're casting Dig Through Time. In this case, Dig will always get you two live cards.

When playing the same Delver deck, Treasure Cruise will, rather than getting the 2 cards you need, get you any 3 cards. I understand, this often sounds worse, but, when you just need to stay ahead of the opponent, this is much better. it keeps you out of top-decking, you'll often hit 2 live cards anyway, since the cards power level in your deck is relatively flat, and approx. 2/3s of your deck isn't land.

Ultimately, it boils down to Dig being better in smaller formats, synergistic decks, and the fact that it feels stronger when your game is going well, but Treasure Cruise is the much safer lock on the game, because it provides more raw card advantage.

I'm not saying Cruise is always the better of the two cards. I'm saying that different decks/formats will want different cards, and most fair decks in large formats should probably opt for Cruise, even though Dig is the stronger effect.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 10 Nov 2014, 21:18

And that seems to be the consensus with most Vol, for Standard, Dig is miles ahead of Cruise for being able to look at cards beyond Cruise where it is liable to draw 0-3 lands off the top.

I'd say that Cruise and Dig at parity in Modern, though U/R/x Delver is definitely popular and powered up for the moment so drawing 3 pieces of gas is more likely and therefore, more preferable.

I would agree that the value in Cruise rises above Dig as it reaches Legacy and Vintage for the points you've made.

Besides, most decks I've seen that run cruise usually have 2 copies of Dig as well and I never meant to insinuate that cruise was worse in any way. My remark was merely a quip about there being 'one' good blue card in KTK. The truth is, like with all cards, value is determined by a case by case basis.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 15 Nov 2014, 02:40

jkefka wrote:
RadioshackRaider wrote:So has anyone else taken to calling Treasure Cruise the Booze Cruise yet?

No, people just call it "Ancestral Recall"

Or Delvecestral Recall.
Root potato
First Video: Friday nights

Postby Root potato » 15 Nov 2014, 21:34

Sooo... With ornithopter and chief engineer in standard, do you think Colossus of Akros will se play?
No?
Maybe with the help of generator servant?
Still no!
Maybe a Dragon throne of Tarkir will change your mind!
Fear my ornithopter! It is now a 10/12 flying trample er.... Lol
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Nov 2014, 04:02

Can't give Ornithopter haste with Generator Servant. Worst combo ever.
Root potato

Postby Root potato » 16 Nov 2014, 20:20

But you can give haste to colossus of Akros!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Nov 2014, 20:24

Doesn't matter. No hastey Ornithopter. I'm out.
Root potato

Postby Root potato » 16 Nov 2014, 23:06

But but... Hastey 20/20 indestructible defender...

Is sad now :(
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 23 Nov 2014, 21:57

Finally put together an online list to keep track of my cube!

Here it is: http://www.cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/20052
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 26 Nov 2014, 01:22

So... I have built a standard deck again in preparation for an upcoming event. This feels weird as normally I draft several times a week. The possibility of cash money if I learn the meta and how to play in it gets me more of the way towards wanting to grind standard again.

...is this something anyone else has experience with?
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 28 Nov 2014, 02:00

I haven't played the same Standard deck two weeks in a row since KTK came out. There's just too much fun in this meta right now.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 28 Nov 2014, 06:59

I've been having fun with Butcher of the Horde/Bloodsoaked Champion shenanigans. It's a great way to make the Champion relevant after it's been outclassed on board.

Play Butcher, sac Champion, haste, swing. (can't bring the Champion back, I'm typically tapped out.)
Next turn, swing Butcher, bring back Champion instant speed after attackers are declared, sac for lifelink, bring back EOT.
Turn after, sac for vigilance, bring back instant speed, sac for lifelink, bring back EOT (although this turn typically I've won on.)
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 28 Nov 2014, 14:25

Heh, I played my Mardu aggro deck (including those two cards) at FNM last night. Round one I got paired up against a local guy who has played on the pro tour a couple of times. To harken back to the previous discussion about "real" vs "wannabe" pros I know he is no LSV, but he is a thoroughly excellent player and though he is quiet and focused which some people might find off-putting in a game, he is an extremely nice man who teased me about losing game one essentially to my own pain lands. In a friendly way, of course.

Finally sold off my excess Flooded Strands though, and completed my playset of the other fetches.
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 03 Dec 2014, 13:25

I have a Monogreen Aggro deck in Standard and I need replacements for Giant Growth and Kalonian Tusker. Any ideas?
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 03 Dec 2014, 15:12

Swordwise Centaur seems like a good replacement for the tusker, because it's only one less toughness, but gives the same devotion. As for the giant growth, if you're putting a lot of cards in your bin, maybe become immense? Otherwise, I think titanic growth got reprinted... Or there's gather courage, which is 1/1 less, but has convoke.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 03 Dec 2014, 16:56

I already run four Centaurs. So yeah.

Titanic Growth isn't as good though in my opinion. You just can't get as much out for it being 2 CMC. It takes longer to get out and it would prevent me from hitting another Mystic or 1 CMC creature with the leftover mana I have left.

Gather Courage doesn't sound bad though.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 03 Dec 2014, 17:04

Could you possibly show us the list? It's possible that with the changes to standard, you'd be better off making a sideways substitution for the giant growth (i.e. something other than a pump spell) but it would be helpful to see what the deck presently looks like.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”