The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Dix » 20 Feb 2014, 23:07

I'll see if I can sort through some of my cards tomorrow and see what I've got. I do know off the top of my head I've got 3 Thoughtseizes hanging around so that could be something pulling me towards B. I know I've got 2-3 Nyleas and like 3 Nykthos hanging around too but no Garruk for that thing. Basically I just want something fun and mildly competitive (not too many super strong Standard decks were at the Theros Gameday at my LGS...).
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 20 Feb 2014, 23:12

If you have Domri and/or Xenagos already, you could always make it G/R. You'd want to get the temples and stuff for fixing, and maybe throw in some Sylvans for ramp/fixing. Garruk is just important for drawing you cards, which is necessary against opponents who board wipe. Then again, you could always try Hunter's prowess and see how that works for you.

If you want, I can post my green deck as an example, and maybe suggest some changes that might work for you.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Feb 2014, 04:58

Dix wrote:Anyone have any good ideas for a relatively cheap control or midrange deck that I could throw together by game day? Can't get too crazy with expensive cards.

It really depends on what you open, you need to listen to the packs and the table.

I know nothing about standard right now
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 21 Feb 2014, 09:46

Eh, decided that, since I don't really play a lot of Standard, there's no real need fr me to grab either a box of THS or BNG. Besides, if I need certain cards, I'll just buy singles. I'll use my store credit for cards for my Bosh Commander.
Credit to Foxmar
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 21 Feb 2014, 09:58

Dix wrote:I'll see if I can sort through some of my cards tomorrow and see what I've got. I do know off the top of my head I've got 3 Thoughtseizes hanging around so that could be something pulling me towards B. I know I've got 2-3 Nyleas and like 3 Nykthos hanging around too but no Garruk for that thing. Basically I just want something fun and mildly competitive (not too many super strong Standard decks were at the Theros Gameday at my LGS...).

If you have Thoughtseizes, perhaps a version of monoblack devotion w/o the mutavaults.
Ofc there's also things you'd need like desecration demons and downfalls.

rg monsters relies heavily on dragons to get there, and the plants, domris and coursers for consistency.

B/G was what I initially built when Theros rotated in, using a variant of Kibler's list but it never _ever_ seemed to work out for me. There's a couple of gy mulch/self mill lists around that aren't that expensive.

The only thing I'll say is that Bile Blight and Drown in Sorrow are probably going to dominate my local game day, so I've had to plan accordingly.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 21 Feb 2014, 11:43

Del wrote:rg monsters relies heavily on dragons to get there, and the plants, domris and coursers for consistency

What I was personally referring to wasn't RG Monsters, it was straight mono-green. The only monsters I have (which I'd forgotten about and are pretty important) are Polukranos (expensive) and Arbor Colossus (cheap).
Dix

Postby Dix » 21 Feb 2014, 16:21

I somehow pulled a playset of 4 Polukranos from my THS box back in september so that's also an option to throw in if I go green... And I've got two Ashioks and two Kioras if I were to go down the paths of those colors.

Any good sites with decklists?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 22 Feb 2014, 14:55

You could look through Tapped Out or MTGDeckbuilder. Cards like TCGplayer have decklists from top 8 and the like, if you want to find a pro deck or something.

And since I said I'd do it before, here's my mono-green devotion deck I was mentioning.
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 22 Feb 2014, 18:24

polukranos + bow = gg
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 22 Feb 2014, 20:18

I am now officially a level 1 judge as of today. You guys can now reliably count on me to help with any rules questions and the like in the other thread with my L1 powers, get the answer wrong somewhere, and have a different judge answer it properly, just as I've always done it as a L0.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 22 Feb 2014, 22:08

Congratulations :)
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 25 Feb 2014, 16:42

If you can pre-order one of the Jace Vs Vraska Duel Decks for MSRP, I'd say it's going to be a good idea to do so. It's been revealed that the decks are going to have Remand in them.
Phosphatide

Postby Phosphatide » 25 Feb 2014, 17:04

Glad I held onto my store credit, in that case. Was tempted to pick up two or so out of the four left in stock but I started to feel bad for other people.
korvys

Postby korvys » 25 Feb 2014, 18:37

It looks like there's nothing else of value (Except Jace AOT), so if it only has 1 remand, would it be worth it? If you were looking for value, maybe wait a couple of weeks after it comes out to pick up Remand, after the price drops.

keybase.io
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 25 Feb 2014, 18:43

To be fair, Jace is nearly $20 by himself. Vraska is over $7. Even if all three of them drop to half their current value, it'll be about the same (likely more) than the MSRP of the set, which is $20. My LGS is selling them for less than that.
korvys

Postby korvys » 25 Feb 2014, 18:50

Oh, wow. Fair enough, I didn't realise you could get it for so little. The markup on stuff in Aus is ridiculous.

keybase.io
Dix

Postby Dix » 28 Feb 2014, 16:42

Ughhh.. I won't be able to be around that day to pick up a deck. Stupid vacations.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 28 Feb 2014, 17:42

I just shook hands with Marshall Sutcliffe. Am I wrong for feeling kind of happy about that?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 Feb 2014, 17:47

Dix wrote:Ughhh.. I won't be able to be around that day to pick up a deck. Stupid vacations.

Maybe pre-order so you can get it when you come back?
Dix

Postby Dix » 28 Feb 2014, 20:06

Duckay wrote:I just shook hands with Marshall Sutcliffe. Am I wrong for feeling kind of happy about that?

What are you participating in at the GP?

Kapol wrote:
Dix wrote:Ughhh.. I won't be able to be around that day to pick up a deck. Stupid vacations.

Maybe pre-order so you can get it when you come back?

Planning on doing that at Game Day tomorrow if I can.

Speaking of game day, I'm making the jankiest 'shit I own' UB deck for it. Shame the Nightveil Specters I got didn't make it here quite yet (made it to my mailroom after they closed but they're not open on Saturdays.. oof) which could have helped my aerial weakness but oh well.
Phosphatide

Postby Phosphatide » 28 Feb 2014, 22:17

All I got is my Thorncaster Sliver/Bow of Nylea combo deck that was only meant to fight the challenge decks, souped up with some extra artifact hate because of the totems or whatever in the Horde deck.

Funny how because ChannelFireball isn't doing Game Day due to the PTQ they're hosting, none of my other local gamestores have actually mentioned anything about a Game Day tournament. Only one store makes mention of Game Day, and it's for the challenge deck. South Bay Area of California is weird.
Dix

Postby Dix » 01 Mar 2014, 11:08

I've got quite a bit of removal/hand bounce stuff in the deck because I don't think there's an actual 'hand' for the horde per se so I would think it would bounce to the graveyard if that was the case. I should have probably gotten more fliers in my deck but we'll see how the jankiness goes today.
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 01 Mar 2014, 17:06

Top 8 with the land destruction deck, which was surprising as my record was 2-2 and we had like 32 people. My deck instilled fear in my opponents with word getting around that some one was running a land destruction deck. Unfortunately I did not get to play against the mazes end deck, which I was really hoping for.
Last edited by guidance on 01 Mar 2014, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
Phosphatide

Postby Phosphatide » 01 Mar 2014, 17:07

Completely wrecked the Horde today, after teaming up with someone playing B/G. We felt confident enough to only take two turns before the Horde, and I had a great set-up thanks to my endless Manaweft Slivers and the extra land hero. On turn 6 my partner dropped a Nighthowler and realized for the first time that it checks all graveyards and not just his, so it was a 24/24 upon being played thanks to me milling the deck out with all my Slivers.

We won after he cast Blood twice on a 32/32 Nighthowler to finish off the deck. Good fun was had.

Oh, and for the normal Game Day tournament, apparently someone piloted a Maze's End deck and managed to get 2nd place. Today was a good day for Magic.
Dix

Postby Dix » 01 Mar 2014, 18:41

I totally crapped out with my jank UB deck. 1-3 (technically 0-4) on the day. My only win came againsta guy who beat me but had to drop in the 3rd matchup. I went 0-2, 0-2, 0-2, 0-2. I really need to tune up this deck before throwing it into standard again. So many people were running multi-Brimaz/Elspeth Wx decks it wasn't funny. I couldn't stand up to many of the decks I came up with the money they invested in them. Guy who won at my store had the WU Elspeth/Jace/D-Sphere/Sphinx's Rev control deck. Utterly sickening how good that deck played against everyone.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”