The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
John North
First Video: ISC

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby John North » 15 Oct 2012, 04:09

Kapol wrote:Honestly, seeing how absurd black and B/R aggro decks are in the new standard, I don't blame you. One person I played had three 2/2's out on turn 2. Then a blood artist and a gravecrawler the next turn.

Went down to sign up for the end of the Month Standard today and dam saw one of those decks in action. Turn one Rakdos Cackler turn two shred freak swing for 4, Then Zombies all day every day.
May have to have sideboard teck to deal with zombies that refuse to die because I know for a fact there are 3 of those decks going around where I go to FNM.
Aside from Annihilating Fire and Pillar of Flame any other ways to counter R/B Zombies?

Also there a Red archetype aside from Bus Rush the hell out of everything?
Thought for the Day: Any problem can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 15 Oct 2012, 04:31

So I pulled Trostani, Selesnya's Voice. Any good? Can anyone recommend anything to go with it?

Also non-game related question: What's the best way of sorting the multi-colour cards when your system is colour-based?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
John North

Postby John North » 15 Oct 2012, 06:15

Yes, prob best of the 5 guild masters.My advice is to USE ALL THE POPULATE!

And I just sort my cards by the numbers in the bottom of the card.
Puts the Gold cards after Green and the split ones after that
Thought for the Day: Any problem can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 15 Oct 2012, 09:26

I picked a Trostani up on release day and immediately traded her for a Dreadbore and a pair of Mercurial Chemisters. Very happy with that agreement, I'm Rakdos at heart and I intend to get at least one Chemister signed by the LRR crew. :D
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 15 Oct 2012, 10:11

John North wrote:Went down to sign up for the end of the Month Standard today and dam saw one of those decks in action. Turn one Rakdos Cackler turn two shred freak swing for 4, Then Zombies all day every day.
May have to have sideboard teck to deal with zombies that refuse to die because I know for a fact there are 3 of those decks going around where I go to FNM.
Aside from Annihilating Fire and Pillar of Flame any other ways to counter R/B Zombies?

Also there a Red archetype aside from Bus Rush the hell out of everything?

The best way I can think of to deal with Zombies like Gravecrawler in the late game is Angel of Glory's Rise. It exiles all zombies and, if you have any, brings any humans in the graveyard back from the dead (which would technically make them zombies and therefore should be exiled and oh my I've gone cross-eyed) when it comes onto the field. I'm currently running one in my sideboard. Might need to put some more in.

And you could go dragons in red maybe? While not the greatest, you could try doing that. I've considered making a red dragon-based deck and see what happens.
Geoff_B wrote:So I pulled Trostani, Selesnya's Voice. Any good? Can anyone recommend anything to go with it?

Also non-game related question: What's the best way of sorting the multi-colour cards when your system is colour-based?

Consider that Trostani is currently worth about $16, more then double what any other guild leader is worth. Yea, she's really good. I'd put her in a lifegain/token deck, or even just tokens. I personally was going to put her in my lifegain/token deck that had 3 Rhox Faithmenders just to be absurd.

Also, I order the multicolors seperately based on what colors, with the 'either-or' types being in front sorted by their colors, 2 multicolors needed for casting by colors, and then 3 costed multis, etc.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 15 Oct 2012, 10:16

I've got a mono-red dragons deck that I run pretty regularly. Just playing with my friends it does alright, four out of five of us are very casual. It's built off of the Dragons vs. Knights duel deck, and I'm sure it would be a lot better with a couple of purchases (another dragonspeaker shaman or two in particular, and maybe more bloodmark mentors.)

Here's the decklist from last time I bothered to write it down. There are a couple of things like Accorder's Shield, Cerebral Eruption and Scourge of Geier Reach that aren't great combos with the deck, but I have in there as counters to the other decks I play against a lot.

25 Mountains
0:
Accorder's Shield
1:
Stromkirk Noble
Stromkirk Noble
Goblin Arsonist
Cinder Wall
Goblin Fireslinger
2:
Dragon Fodder
Dragon Fodder
Stormblood Berserker
Spitting Earth
Bloodmark Mentor
3:
Seismic Strike
Captive Flame
Dragonspeaker Shaman
Claws of Valakut
Hanweir Watchkeep
Hanweir Watchkeep
4:
Geosurge
Geosurge
Dragon Whelp
Dragon Whelp
Shiv's Embrace
Ruthless Invasion
Cerebral Eruption
Furnace Whelp
5:
Curse of Bloodletting
Scourge of Geier Reach
Cone of Flames
6:
Jaws of Stone
Mordant Dragon
Warstorm Surge
7:
Kilnmouth Dragon
Thunder Dragon
Balefire Dragon
Furyborn Hellkite
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 15 Oct 2012, 14:20

Turns out that if I sideboard in my creature removal, Steacy Special is still pretty decent at shutting down my housemate's new Selesnya populate deck. Went 2-1 with him, getting mana-screwed round 1 (loss) and mana-flooded round 3 (win).

Once I started targeting his tokens with Spikeshot and Forge Devil he was left with very little response and by the time I could afford to use Spikeshot's ability twice in a turn he was too far behind to reclaim the field, even with two Growing Ranks and an Intangible Virtue.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Tuple
First Video: The... First one... (Hi Paul! :D)

Postby Tuple » 16 Oct 2012, 01:18

Lord Hosk wrote:I really dont like drafting return to Ravnica, everyone seems to be in three colors in the first 5 picks, and are often looking at a splash in pack two or three.

I'm not really liking it too much either. I feel like I'm forced into certain color combinations to create a viable deck. It'll probably get better when the next set comes out but I feel super restricted right now.
John North

Postby John North » 16 Oct 2012, 01:39

Ok so I've been going through cards trying to find way to shut down Zombie graveyard play decks and (in red at least) the only thing aside from Pillar of Flame and Annihilating Fire that would work well in R/B agro is Ash Zealot.

Dam fine two drop with haste and first strike as well as dealing damage for spells cast from the grave, doesn't stop Scavenge sadly but still should put some pain on Zombie decks though.

Most defnatly going to get me a set of those for sideboard tech, throw in a set of Annihilating Fire's and I should be able to deal with Zombie decks.

What other decks tend to be run in the meta at the moment, only seen aggro Black or Red so far as commander is a big ass thing in Perth at the moment so 9/10 decks I see are not going to be used in the Standard FNM
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 16 Oct 2012, 02:14

I'm thinking Ash Zealot would be a handy sideboarder for Gutterbrain actually, though I've yet to see many Ravnica decks that deal with graveyard recursion much. (I'm sure they exist with Innistrad still in Standard, I just haven't encountered them)
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
John North

Postby John North » 16 Oct 2012, 05:22

My money is on Ash Zealot being an early counter for Orzhov graveyard play, or lacking that one of the other 4 guilds in Gatecrash will do something spell related with it.

I'm Rakdos at heart and I intend to get at least one Chemister signed by the LRR crew.

Fun Fact, got destroyed 0-2 on my final game at the pre-release by a Rakdos deck that out aggroed mine. Played the 3rd game for shits and giggles and had a Chemister shoot Rakdos, Lord of Riots at my Carnival Hellsteed

[Edit]

Discovered Tappedout.net and proceeded to to some serious deck tinkering and I'm happy with what I came up with.
Name credit goes to Alex from the Pax Prime LRR Panel.

-Rakdos the Insane Clown Posse-
2x Rakdos, Lord of Riots
2x Desecration Demon
4x Ash Zealot
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Splatter Thug
4x Thrill-Kill Assassin
4x Vexing Devil

4x Brimstone Volley
2x Dreadbore
4x Pillar of Flame

4x Blood Crypt
4x Dragonskull Summit
8x Swamp
8x Mountain

-Sideboard-
3x Auger Spree
4x Cremate
2x Dreadbore
2x Slaughter Games
4x Stab Wound

That site is amazing btw, may get addicted to mock drafting at this rate..
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 17 Oct 2012, 02:18

Updating my box of tokens for RTR, I found one vital token was missing from the set. So I threw it together. You can thank me later.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
John North

Postby John North » 17 Oct 2012, 07:55

Nice work on the token, I have plans for that card.

In other news what nicknames has everyone started using for RtR, few of the ones I've been using are.
Trusty Rusty (Grim Roustabout)
Shred Head (Rakdos Shred-Freak)
Rev Dev (Dead Reveler)
Shambles (Sewer Shambler)
Crono Lamp (Chromatic Lantern)
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 17 Oct 2012, 10:15

Speaking of tokens, I went through an entire booster box, plus probably a couple dozen individually purchased packs of Innistrad since I started playing, and I have yet to see a Spider token. I know they were printed, but did those things somehow wind up mythic-rare or something? I thought they were supposed to show up at the same rate as Spider Spawning. Heck, I've got a Hellion token, 3 demons, several Lord of Lineage vamps, and emblems for my two standard-legal planeswalkers, but not a single spider.
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Tuple

Postby Tuple » 17 Oct 2012, 10:16

So... angel of Serenity basically just won me a draft. Drew it in 6 out of 8 games and managed to play it every time. Every time it led directly to the win, especially with a stalled board state I created with the Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage.
vxicepickxv
First Video: The Job

Postby vxicepickxv » 17 Oct 2012, 15:33

AzureAngel17 wrote:Speaking of tokens, I went through an entire booster box, plus probably a couple dozen individually purchased packs of Innistrad since I started playing, and I have yet to see a Spider token. I know they were printed, but did those things somehow wind up mythic-rare or something? I thought they were supposed to show up at the same rate as Spider Spawning. Heck, I've got a Hellion token, 3 demons, several Lord of Lineage vamps, and emblems for my two standard-legal planeswalkers, but not a single spider.
I have a couple, I think. I'm not as sure about that one, but I know in a case of RTR, I managed to pull 3 assassin tokens. I also managed to pull 3 Jaces and 2 Vraskas, so it's not all bad.
Friend:Umm, I saw a cat and started clicking...
Me:You have made an accurate summary of the internet.
CompletelyUnsure
First Video: Unskippable? I found this through 0Punc.

Postby CompletelyUnsure » 17 Oct 2012, 19:45

phlip wrote:Updating my box of tokens for RTR, I found one vital token was missing from the set. So I threw it together. You can thank me later.

I was going to post this before I saw your token. So, from the very bottom of my existence, thank you, I am forever in your debt. This is coming from the guy who uses plastic dinosaurs as his tokens. Anyways, I was working on a Rat deck for FNM this week and I wanted to see what everyone thought.

1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
4 Pack Rats
4 Typhoid Rats
4 Ravenous Rats
1 Drainpipe Vermin
1 Terrus Wurm
1 Smallpox
1 Kordoza Guildmage
4 Disentomb
4 Bump in the Night
3 Druids Familiar
2 Essence Drain
1 Exquiste Blood
2 Sewer Shambler
1 Wayfairing Temple
2 Stab Wound
2 Chronomatons
2 Dead Weight
16 Swamp
1 Golgari Guildgate
2 Selysnia Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 17 Oct 2012, 19:52

CompletelyUnsure wrote:
phlip wrote:Updating my box of tokens for RTR, I found one vital token was missing from the set. So I threw it together. You can thank me later.

I was going to post this before I saw your token. So, from the very bottom of my existence, thank you, I am forever in your debt. This is coming from the guy who uses plastic dinosaurs as his tokens. Anyways, I was working on a Rat deck for FNM this week and I wanted to see what everyone thought.

1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
4 Pack Rats
4 Typhoid Rats
4 Ravenous Rats
1 Drainpipe Vermin
1 Terrus Wurm
1 Smallpox
1 Kordoza Guildmage
4 Disentomb
4 Bump in the Night
3 Druids Familiar
2 Essence Drain
1 Exquiste Blood
2 Sewer Shambler
1 Wayfairing Temple
2 Stab Wound
2 Chronomatons
2 Dead Weight
16 Swamp
1 Golgari Guildgate
2 Selysnia Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate

If you're playing Standard, then you need to take Smallpox out. Smallpox is no longer in Standard since it was last in M12.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 18 Oct 2012, 03:32

So finally got home and able to get RtR cards after missing both pre-release and release days due to being in the wrong places at the wrong times for them...

And my very first RtR booster gives me this...

...and I am amused because it's LRR's card, and then this happens...

...so I'm going to give LRR the credit for this.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 18 Oct 2012, 12:00

Bonkers! Good pulls!

Ok so I had a neat combo discovery.
I play a kresh edh deck with big mean green creatures, because big scary creatures are the best and putting down a 49/49 turn 5 is way too fun.

So. Vigor prevents all damage that would be dealt and gives that creature +1/+1 counters for each point prevented.
Primodial hydra doubles it's counters every upkeep

And finally Preysiezer Dragon deals damage to target creature equal to it's +1/+1 counters.

Swing twitch the preyseizer deal damage to the hydra or itself prevent it and add that many counters. Rinse and repeat. 1 giant flying monster and 1 giant trample monster.... I was amused anyway. My preysiezer was a 24/24 before it got blowed up.
^( " )^
winner!
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 18 Oct 2012, 16:12

I just traded a Thundermaw Hellkite for it's worth in card sleeves.
Tuple

Postby Tuple » 18 Oct 2012, 19:55

So Rootborn defenses. Not a great card, but it does what you need it to do.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 18 Oct 2012, 20:30

So. Just in case James reads this, I'd like to say that we're all rooting for you, and we know you're going to do your best, but...

...a promo modern-frame Sorrow's Path would actually be kinda sweet.

All I'm saying.
Tuple

Postby Tuple » 18 Oct 2012, 20:45

RytelCSF wrote:So. Just in case James reads this, I'd like to say that we're all rooting for you, and we know you're going to do your best, but...

...a promo modern-frame Sorrow's Path would actually be kinda sweet.

All I'm saying.

Seconded.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 19 Oct 2012, 17:28

Inspired by Thursday's LRR draft.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”