The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Utilitarian » 18 Mar 2013, 23:29

It feels like the problem with Modern is that there are only three decks. There's "the most efficient creatures" deck which invariably runs 'Goifs and Bolts etc. There's "All out agro" which looks suspiciously like a Zendikar era agro deck. And then there's "Ridiculous non-interactive combos" decks.

There only deck that even feels mildly interesting to me is the first one and that's inhibited by everyone already knowing what creatures go into it.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 19 Mar 2013, 03:24

My issue with Modern is that the metagame feels incredibly forced, and then you add on the fact that any competitive Modern deck pretty much needs a playset of Tarmogoyf and the format also loses its appeal as "a more accessible alternative to legacy"

Unlike legacy, which has enough powerful universal threats and answers, where it's actually a relatively fair, and an incredibly diverse, format, Modern is merely banning the most powerful/oppressive threats so they don't need to print more powerful answers to the format (mainly because they don't want those answers to spend any time in standard)

It's possible that Modern will become a better format after a few years and Wizards is finally comfortable where it's at as a format, but it definitely isn't there yet.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Mar 2013, 08:31

The problem I have with meta game is how ticked people get when you dont play it.

The "death ping" deck I am running with all death touch with wolfier quiver and lightning prowess. I have backup from some electrickery for the tokens deck and bramblecrush for planewalkers or big land enchantment decks.

I have gotten a few "wow, thats a cool deck who made that?" and compliments when I say I made it up, I even got challenged by someone I havent played with the comment "your deathtouch deck please"

but far more I get"that is such a crappy deck! this is (pro)'s deck its way better than that" or "phhsh why do people try to build their own decks?" and "thats a glitch im going to report you." the best one to me was "so what your strategy is to just kill all my guys? what kinda wincon is that loser" (concede)

My current record with it in the JFF room in its current form is 54 wins 19 loses with 8 F YOU!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 19 Mar 2013, 23:36

So. It IS possible for this black/red control and creatures deck I just made to beat Esper control... provided I've had the opportunity to sideboard and manage to draw an Elixir of Immortality and Slaughter Games and then excise out Sphinx's Revelation before they can cast one. Oiy. I'm starting to feel like I might need to add a third color.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Mar 2013, 07:57

Anyone have some extra gruul gates on MTGO they arent using, I really dont want to have to buy them but I feel I need a little more fixing.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 20 Mar 2013, 09:44

I'm sure I do Hosk. I'll idle on mtgo today, pop me a message
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Mar 2013, 17:46

Well that was easy lets try again, anyone have any extra Jace the mind skulpters they arent using, I really dont want to have to buy them but I feel I need a little more super expensive cards to sell.

[–]Graham_LRR
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 21 Mar 2013, 21:23

Hmmm so the card kingdom order shipped Monday... what are the odds customs was feeling fast this week and it'll be in my mailbox tomorrow so I can not get decimated at FNM...
DSmaster21
First Video: Friday Nights-Untap
Location: You will hear on the news one day. Zombies! Wait no disregard that random word.

Postby DSmaster21 » 22 Mar 2013, 07:12

Yeah, my mom ordered the Gatecrash 5-intro pack pack from them (like we often do (They have not failed me yet)) at some point hoping that it would arrive yesterday (my birthday). This would give me a day to prepare for FNM but now Friday. Also let's see I leave school at 4:30 have to drive for 45 mins to the nearest town with FNM. I then must eat out (my birthday dinner) then I must register for FNM and be there by 6:30. So if it is in my mailbox then I will be working my deck out on the floor as my family and I drive.
Self wrote: I lost my humanity back in 2013 BC ahhhh the good old days.

Ptangmatik wrote: We drew things on your face. Oh, and you're now legally called Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle. Congratulations.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 22 Mar 2013, 09:20

Zur the enchanter edh deck is online.
Gonna play some FNM tonight!
^( " )^
winner!
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 22 Mar 2013, 22:13

Anyone else having issues with the MTGO beta since the last patch? It's taking ages and ages for it to load my collection or available games or trades or just anything for me. Could be my connection but other games seem to be playing fine.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 23 Mar 2013, 08:51

Do you know when a deck just functions perfectly.
Last Night at FNM my (almost" Mono Red deck just curved out almost every game
I won the first 5 matches 2-0 then to lose 1-2 in the final.
That was needed as I have gone 2-2 and 2-3 the last couple of events so the deck proved that it could go against the tragtusk + Angel decks and win
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 23 Mar 2013, 09:32

Loved this.
https://twitter.com/nex3/status/315342541027430400

"My phone autocorrects 'Gruul' to 'GRUUL'".
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 23 Mar 2013, 17:56

My zur the enchanter deck cost me nothing. And I nearly beat everyone at FNM all of whom have been playing for a lot longer than myself.
I love playing stupid broke. Cards. Even if it gets a lot of hate.
^( " )^
winner!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 Mar 2013, 23:27

So since my wife and I didnt go to pax and our anniversary was last weekend we are celebrating by dropping our kids off at my parents house and spending 34 whole hours without them.

I went to the second location of the LGS that I restarted playing Magic at when we were living with them. The store owner and two regulars recognized me, and asked me why I hadn't been around in awhile, the store owner even said "MAN I haven't seen you since like the M-13 prerelease!" which was the last time I was in his other store. One of the other guys asked if I was still doing the bump thing and when I said "yeah sorta but since its getting play in modern and raktos decks it has really jumped in price. The store owner GAVE ME all 12 they had in stock, and a pack of ISD. And upon hearing the story, one of the guys who was playing EDH said "man I was debating buying a box of ISD now thats its out of print, now I just have to or I would feel like a dick" we then spent the next three hours playing THG packwars, and I got all the bump in the nights(5) they even made a rule, if you crack a bump, it goes into (lord_hosk)'s deck

When all was said and done and I had spent like 4 hours hanging out I went and got my wife from the mall we went to dinner and afterwords she said "there are no good movies tonight, lets go to that gaming store and maybe we can find a board game to play" She walked into the store first as I was locking the car and the store owner said "MAN! I forgot how hot (Lord Hosk)'s wife was!" (she had only been in the other location one time never in this location) and I thought. OK seriously, why cant we live here, this LGS is awesome!!!

When we were leaving I said "listen man, I just have to say Fuck you!" and he was a little shocked. "Cause coming here reminded me just how CRAPPY every store back home is, by comparison, you guys are just completely awesome!"

I know all the card Kingdom stuff and Card Kingdom is great but if you are in Northern Illinois west of Chicago, check out one of the Gaming Goats, they have 3 locations now and are opening a 4th and they are just awesome people, and you can buy from their website too.

The Gaming Goat

[–]Graham_LRR
Wolfwood723
First Video: Poker Before Dusk

Postby Wolfwood723 » 24 Mar 2013, 05:24

So LRR got me back into Magic about two years ago and recently I have graduated to drafting on MTGO and having pack wars with my friend. Ended up spending about 100 bucks for boosters from different sets just for pack wars. It is so addictive.
ObiWan Canadian on twitch and XBL
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 24 Mar 2013, 20:10

New Dragon's Maze art. Ral F**king Zarek. That is all.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 24 Mar 2013, 22:18

Speaking of, who had "If you control all ten gates you win the game" in the "mythic land" pool?
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 25 Mar 2013, 00:23

Huh...
Wish it'd been me.
^( " )^
winner!
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 25 Mar 2013, 09:38

The land was spoiled in January, except it was missing the line about it entering the battlefield tapped and we didn't know its name
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Shinneh
First Video: field?

Postby Shinneh » 25 Mar 2013, 15:34

Wolfwood723 wrote:So LRR got me back into Magic about two years ago and recently I have graduated to drafting on MTGO and having pack wars with my friend. Ended up spending about 100 bucks for boosters from different sets just for pack wars. It is so addictive.

LRR just straight up got me in to magic, I can't complain though, pack one of my fat pack - Boros Reckoner, I love everything about that card, the art, the flavour, everything.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Mar 2013, 17:24

Utilitarian wrote:Speaking of, who had "If you control all ten gates you win the game" in the "mythic land" pool?

I have a feeling that that will be going really really late in drafts so LRR should be able to pick up every gate that comes around, then pick that up, if any of the 8 packs open it, they will get it passed to them.

Its a must do.

[–]Graham_LRR
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 25 Mar 2013, 18:17

Running some simulations... assuming ideal scenarios, where you open Maze's End P1P1, and then every single gate opened in the card pool gets passed to you, and you take every single one. Then by my tests you have about a 6.4% chance of even having one of each gate in your pool. That is, of the times you open your P1P1 and see Maze's End, there's a 93.6% chance that one of the 10 gates just doesn't exist in any of the boosters at your table, and it'll be entirely impossible to win with it. Them's bad odds.
Of course, this is assuming that there aren't any new cards in DGM which have the "Gate" type, just the 10 we already know about... but that seems likely.

And even if you do get it... you've used 11 of your 42 picks on land... that's leaving you with 31 picks for actual spells. If you're going to be making a 22-spell/18-land deck (probably a good idea if you're going 5-colour), that's a lot less wiggle-room for bad picks than you'd like. We're talking only 3 picks per pack for picking up crap cards at the end that you nobody wants to run. Which incidentally makes it even worse if you get to the end and only have 9 gates... because then you've wasted 10 picks on a wincon you can't even win with.

And even if you do get it, and build a decent deck around it... even if you have the Maze and the mana to activate it on time, you can't activate the Maze before turn 4. Likely turn 5, since 11 of your lands come in tapped. Either way you won't get to activate it the second time until turn 6 (either play a 4th land untapped on turn 4, activate Maze, replay Maze turn 5 tapped, uptap it turn 6 for second activation... or play a tapped land turn 4, turn 5 untap, activate, replay, untap it turn 6 for second activation). So you're looking at turn 14 before you've activated it 10 times. Maybe a turn or two earlier if one of the first 4 lands you play are gates. I'm not saying the game will never go that long, but it's not common. Especially when you're not going to be casting anything relevant in turns 5 through 7-8ish, before you get enough mana to activate the Maze and cast a spell.

Leaving the wincon aspect aside and focusing on just the manafixing aspect... sure, it fixes your mana. It doesn't accelerate you, since you need to replay the Maze every turn, though it does mean you get to keep hitting your land drops long after a normal hand would have run out of land... But I'm not sure that's worth paying 4 every turn for, and having to play with so many come-into-play-tapped lands.

All that said: if LRRMtG gets one and doesn't go for it, I'll be disappointed.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 26 Mar 2013, 07:51

Despite the fact that Maze's End seems kind of... bad, at least as a win condition, I still want to build a Modern deck around it. Maybe convert my Turbo Eldrazi deck in to Turbo Maze. I guess I'm a Johnny?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 Mar 2013, 08:23

alternate wincon standard deck, Maze, door and battle of wits, 230 card deck.

[–]Graham_LRR

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”