Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Re: Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

Postby Atifexe » 06 Feb 2015, 12:50

It looks pretty straightforward upon reading the rulings. If Possibility Storm exiles the spell first, Knowledge Pool has nothing to exile and you don't get to cast something else exiled with it. If Knowledge Pool exiles the spell first, you also get Possibility Storm's effect, because Possibility Storm doesn't care whether or not the spell is actually exiled whereas Knowledge Pool does.

I assume the interaction that makes this a mean thing is that as long as they're both controlled by the same player, that player determines the order they're placed on the stack? If so, you can force everyone else to only Possibility Storm, whereas you get to do both. Is that correct?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Feb 2015, 06:29

I have a deck that I play with Possibility Storm and Jhoira is the commander. I use Jhoira to save what I want to cast, and pitch everything else to the storm. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 08 Feb 2015, 20:06

Soulflayer clarification:
http://tabakrules.tumblr.com/post/11049 ... lflayer-so

I also saw something somewhere (yeah, really concrete, I know, but it was an [O] source) that indicated that soulflayer's abilities are linked abilities. I'll try and dig it up this week.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 08 Feb 2015, 21:36

Is there any effects in the whole of magic that remove the creature type? I just want to know if I can equip Niv-Mizzet with Niv-mizzet, or if that is just a dumb dream.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 08 Feb 2015, 22:07

I'm pretty sure there is no current way to turn a creature into an equipment.

You can, however, equip Nicol Bolas the creature with Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker with the help of Mycosynth Lattice and Bludgeon Brawl.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 08 Feb 2015, 22:33

The only way I can think of is doing using Song of The Dryads on one Niv-Mizzet, then playing Mycosynth Lattice, then using Bludgeon Brawl to make the Song'd Niv-Mizzet into an equipment. According to what I've read, the Niv-Mizzet that you song will keep it's CMC as well. Meaning that it won't just be doing literal nothing.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Feb 2015, 23:04

Now, I'm wondering if you'd be using one of each of Firemind and Dracogenius, or two copies of one of them.

Using two copies of one is funny enough (I will hit you with myself!) but using one of each makes it even funnier (I will hit you with myself from the past/future!). :D

tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 09 Feb 2015, 02:29

Soul Sculptor will make a creature into an enchantment with no abilities. Then you can use liquimetal coating to make it an artifact. In EDH, you can then permanently remove a general by taking control of it with a threaten effect, then equipping it with bludgeon brawl to a token, and phasing the token out (reality ripple). credit
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 09 Feb 2015, 07:26

I was just wondering how many different creatures could be equipped with different versions of themselves. The answer is currently 28. 27, actually, because I forgot that Ob Nixilis is both on the "two different legendary creature cards" camp and the "legendary creature and planeswalker" camp
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 10 Feb 2015, 07:08

Judge! What happens when Opalescence, Humility, Mycosynth Lattice, and Enchanted Evening are all in play together?

EDIT: And march of the Machines too
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 10 Feb 2015, 08:18

Not a judge, but I think the boardstate implodes.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 10 Feb 2015, 08:56

ElFuzzy wrote:Judge! What happens when Opalescence, Humility, Mycosynth Lattice, and Enchanted Evening are all in play together?

Judges stop responding to your questions and your commander group stops playing with you when they realize you're building decks just to troll them.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 10 Feb 2015, 09:02

I ask because I have an artifact heavy Commander deck and an Enchantment heavy deck and it's feasible that I can have all these cards out at the same time if they happen to be at the same table. I could also mainboard bludgeon brawl in there too for laughs.
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 10 Feb 2015, 09:15

ElFuzzy wrote:Judge! What happens when Opalescence, Humility, Mycosynth Lattice, and Enchanted Evening are all in play together?

What order did they enter the battlefield in?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Feb 2015, 12:22

Regardless of the other rulings, Mycosynth Lattice and Enchanted Evening will make everything Artifacts and Enchantments.

Opalescence, Humility, March of the Machines, and Bludgeon Brawl will depend on timestamps, so if they become anything else depends on that.

Also question for a judge: If you have Enchantress's Presence and Enchanted Evening in play, you don't get to draw cards for everything that ETB, right? I think that because Presence specifically says spells, and Evening makes it so that the permanents aren't enchantments until they're already on the battlefield.

SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 10 Feb 2015, 14:14

AdmiralMemo wrote:Also question for a judge: If you have Enchantress's Presence and Enchanted Evening in play, you don't get to draw cards for everything that ETB, right? I think that because Presence specifically says spells, and Evening makes it so that the permanents aren't enchantments until they're already on the battlefield.

You got it.

When you cast a real enchantment you would end up drawing the card before the original spell resolves, and since it's not yet a permanent in this "normal" case it's easy to see that Enchanted Evening wouldn't get the chance to make a difference in the case of other card types.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 10 Feb 2015, 14:37

I'm pretty sure that's listed as a game loss in the IPG. Upgradable to a match loss if you're grinning too hard when you call over the judge.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Aaron9797
First Video: ransom

Postby Aaron9797 » 14 Feb 2015, 20:21

when do i say what a card dues. for example i have two favored hoplites with no +1/+1 counters and i cast bioshift targeting both do i say what the bioshift dues before heroic trigger moving no counters or after moving one counter
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 14 Feb 2015, 22:57

You put Bioshift on the stack. This triggers the two Favored Hoplites, and you put their abilities on the stack. You resolve the stack top down, one thing at a time, if no-one has any response. So you put a counter on one Hoplite, then put a counter on the other Hoplite, then resolve Bioshift.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Aaron9797
First Video: ransom

Postby Aaron9797 » 17 Feb 2015, 23:04

if you copy a desperate ritual that has a desperate ritual spliced on it do you get 3 mana or 6 from the copy
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 17 Feb 2015, 23:20

"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 25 Feb 2015, 22:12

Not so much of a corner case of interactions, but just a question about legality: are custom made basic lands allowed in sanctioned play? I've designed a bunch and I wanted to know if it could be lumped in with alters or proxies.

Ideally, I'd like to sell them since they're made with all of my own photographs and textures, but if they're not legal they'll have to be silver bordered.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 26 Feb 2015, 03:51

It would presumably come under the same rule as any other alters/proxies: which is to say, proxies are right out, but alters may be allowed up to the discretion of the head judge of the event.

So, if you make your custom basic lands by altering real actual basic lands, the name on the card is still visible, the altered art doesn't disguise what the card is (so players can still tell at a glance what it is) and it doesn't mark the card (you can't tell what the card is from the back, or in a sleeve, the card isn't noticeably thicker or bend differently or suchlike)... and then clear them with the head judge before the event, you will probably be OK.

If, on the other hand, you're straight-up making your own proxies and selling them, beware that pretty much everything distinctive about a magic card (the frame, the mana symbols, the card back...) are all trademarked... and counterfeiting laws are also a thing... I doubt anyone here is a lawyer with sufficient specific information to tell you what you can and can't do here. Personally I'd recommend that it's a legally questionable area that's probably not worth diving into...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 27 Feb 2015, 01:13

Darn, I was hoping that the alter rules weren't that strict, and you could just sleeve them on top of your run of the mill basics so they could be used in any format. The design can't let text from other cards show through, and trying to print directly on top of the card would make them look like garbage.

I did kind of expect that though, and I was planning on making them as sets for cube drafting. That way, the card backs aren't needed. As for the copyright stuff, the design is wholly my own. Frame, textures, art, all illustrated/photographed by me. I've even made my own mana symbols which aren't spectacular, but they get the point across.
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 27 Feb 2015, 03:51

If you're playing in a casual match then your fellow players probably won't have a problem with it unless there is any way to tell the cards apart physically on either side or visually from the back.

Selling them I can't really comment on, but I'd be very wary of it since it could get you into trouble, and the people you sell to might not understand how to use them without getting themselves into trouble

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”