Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Re: Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

Postby korvys » 17 Apr 2016, 01:15

RA is going away, I believe, because it (as you said) doesn't actually do anything. It was a nice thing to have, but the rules are only one aspect of judging.

As for becoming a level 1, you'll need to find a level 2 judge. Eventually they will interview you, and have you do a test (a longer version of the practive tests available on the DCI website), but for now, they'll also be the best person to direct your attention.

Basically, what you'd be doing is 1) learning the rules, 2) learning some of the tournament operation stuff (normal round times, etc), and 3) judging events (something like FNM, etc).

Then the test/interview/etc.

If you don't know any level 2 judges, or there aren't any nearby, talk to your regional coordinator (http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/judge-regional-coordinators), who will be able to direct you to someone.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Postby cuddlyblade » 30 Apr 2016, 06:36

IF I have mana web and contamination on the field if my opponent taps a land will mana web tap all their lands? Would it also happen with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth on the field?
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 30 Apr 2016, 07:30

Now, I'm not a judge, so take this with some salt, but I believe the answer to your question is No for contamination, because it is what causes the land to produce B, not an ability of the land itself, but Yes for Urborg, because it makes everything a swamp which means that every land produces a type of mana that each other land produces.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 30 Apr 2016, 14:25

Question about Erdwall Illuminator. So Erdwall Illuminator says
"Whenever you investigate for the first time each turn, investigate an additional time."

So if I have two of them in play, and I investigate, do I get two clues or three?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 30 Apr 2016, 20:40

Not a judge, but here's my read.

If the first time you investigate in the turn is a single Clue (there are some cards that Investigate more than once, which still trigger them), you'll end up with 3 Clues. The first one will go on the stack, and then both Illuminators will trigger. You get to put them in whichever order on the stack. All 3 resolve and you get 3 Clues.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 30 Apr 2016, 21:59

cuddlyblade wrote:IF I have mana web and contamination on the field if my opponent taps a land will mana web tap all their lands? Would it also happen with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth on the field?

Comprehensive Rules wrote:106.7. Some abilities produce mana based on the type of mana another permanent or permanents “could produce.” The type of mana a permanent could produce at any time includes any type of mana that an ability of that permanent would produce if the ability were to resolve at that time, taking into account any applicable replacement effects in any possible order. Ignore whether any costs of the ability could or could not be paid. If that permanent wouldn’t produce any mana under these conditions, or no type of mana can be defined this way, there’s no type of mana it could produce.
In particular, note the "including replacement effects" clause. So, in both the Contamination case and the Urborg case, every land "could produce" black mana (or at least, any land capable of generating mana at all), so Mana Web will tap them all.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 02 May 2016, 08:01

Regarding Erdwal Illuminator:

The net result is the same (three clues), but there is a slight difference in the minutiae. It only triggers when you actually investigate; this means you will finish resolving whatever spell/ability contains the first instance of investigate, and only once that is done do you put the two triggers onto the stack.

Regarding Mana Web, that is my read on it as well, but I wonder if the first sentence is necessary - or if they could have just worded it as 'care about the type of mana another permanent or permanents "could produce"' instead, as it's a bit misleading to someone who just reads the first sentence and assumes the section won't be relevant to Web.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 13 May 2016, 20:41

Gitrog monster, living plane, pyroclasm. How many cards do I draw?
I just read the rulings on Gatherer, so no need to answer this one. Read the rulings, almost as important a mantra as read the cards.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 May 2016, 23:28

How does Unearth work with blink effects like Cloudshift and Brago? If you Unearth it and then blink it, does it stay exiled or does it come back?

fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 16 May 2016, 00:01

(Edited for corrections)

The Gatherer ruling confirms that the Cloudshift's exile overrides the Unearth's exile, and the Cloudshift will successfully blink the creature, which returns as a new object.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 May 2016, 04:02

Neat. I would assume this applies not only to Cloudshift, but also anything else that exiles and returns the creature? Thus, blinking an Unearthed creature will make it go to the graveyard when it dies rather than exiling it at end of turn?

phlip

Postby phlip » 16 May 2016, 04:39

The relevant part of the rules text for Unearth says "If it would leave the battlefield, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else"... so if something is specifically exiling it, then Unearth isn't going to affect it - it's already going to exile, there's nothing the replacement effect wants to change.

Then when it returns, it's as a new creature, unaffected by any of the ongoing effects of Unearth - it won't get exiled at eot, and if it dies that won't be replaced with exiling.

[he/him/his]
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 24 May 2016, 16:57

So fun edge case time. Let's say you have control of a creature enchanted with an opponent's Animate Dead and control Sigarda, Host of Herons. The Animate Dead blows up for whatever reason. Do you sacrifice the creature? Animate Dead is worded that it's controller sacrifices the creature. So I'd think not.
phlip

Postby phlip » 24 May 2016, 17:32

"When Animate Dead leaves the battlefield, that creature's controller sacrifices it." - is a delayed trigger, controlled by the controller of Animate Dead, which instructs the controller of the animated creature to sacrifice it... which is exactly what Sigarda prevents.

So yes, if your opponent is running reanimator against your bant "Sigarda And Control Magic" deck, you can steal their animated creature, and then disenchant the Animate Dead to get that extra +1/+0 without the creature dying.

[he/him/his]
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 24 May 2016, 17:43

There's always Homeward Path to get it back, which seems more realistic in something like EDH. So not necessarily control magic bant. :P And it was more just curiosity than anything. I had assumed it would work that way. I just didn't know if there was something that'd alter the situation in some way.
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Postby cuddlyblade » 27 May 2016, 16:13

So if i have Kangee, Aerie Keeper and Aven Mimeomancer on the field will putting feather counters with Aven Mimeomancer onto Kangee, Aerie Keeper gives bird creatures more +1/+1's.
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
korvys

Postby korvys » 27 May 2016, 16:44

Yes. Kangee is looking for feather counters, not just feather counters put there by their own ability.

keybase.io
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 05 Jun 2016, 22:23

I'm sorry I need to ask this, but if you copy a Knowledge Pool trigger with Kurkesh's ability, do you take two thing out of the Knowledge Pool?
phlip

Postby phlip » 05 Jun 2016, 23:13

Short, unhelpful answer: Kurkesh can only copy activated abilities. Knowledge Pool's ability is a triggered ability.

But instead, let's say you activate Strionic Resonator targeting Knowledge Pool's trigger.

The copied trigger resolves, and the player who cast the original spell exiles their spell, then casts a different spell from the Pool without paying its mana cost, all as normal.

Then the original trigger resolves. It tries to exile the original spell, but it's already exiled, so nothing happens. Then the rest of the ability is gated by an "if you do" clause, so it doesn't do anything either.

Short answer: Copying the trigger doesn't do anything.

[he/him/his]
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 07 Jun 2016, 15:09

Insane EDH question: Planeswalker on the field, mycosynth lattice, and march of the machines (with a pump for my lands, of course, so they don't die.) I then put a +1/+1 counter on the planeswalker with Experiment Kraj. Does Kraj now have the planeswalker abilities?
korvys

Postby korvys » 07 Jun 2016, 15:47

Yes. It currently has 0 loyalty, and it's not actually a planeswalker, so it doesn't die from having 0, but removing counters is (usually) a cost, so your options would be limited initially. You can also still only activate one of those abilities a turn.

keybase.io
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 07 Jun 2016, 16:09

Interesting, presumably this would also apply in more straight forward cases of Planewalkers like Gideon Ally of Zendikar who turn into creatures?
korvys

Postby korvys » 07 Jun 2016, 16:28

Yes, and then the Kraj would be able to turn itself into a creature... again.

Also the Kraj would lose the abilities (but not the loyalty counters) again when the the Planeswalker turned back.

keybase.io
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 07 Jun 2016, 16:47

That is insane, I love it.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Jun 2016, 18:08

I'm assuming that if you ended up with Kraj in a position to activate Planeswalker abilities (see above craziness)... because The Chain Veil specifically says "planeswalker" and not "permanent"... you couldn't use it to activate a second Kraj loyalty ability in the same turn, I assume.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”