Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Apr 2015, 17:59

Oh wow... That's neat, Phlip. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 09 Apr 2015, 21:47

phlip wrote:
Gildan_Bladeborn wrote:Your question was already answered but it's also worth pointing out that Wish effects don't actually work in Commander, unless everyone you're playing with is using the optional sideboard rules and playing with a sideboard.

Well, the "wishes can only get cards from your sideboard" thing is a tournament rule, so if you're playing a casual game outside a tournament, that rule doesn't apply by default, and you can get any cards from your entire collection. Of course, if you're playing a casual game outside a tournament, you can house-rule it however you want, and people who are familiar with the tournament scene will often want to play with the rule in effect...
I'm aware of that particular rules distinction regarding how wish cards in general work in and out of tournaments, I brought up the "wishes from the sideboard" thing because the old way that the Commander rules handled wish cards was to simply state that they didn't work... unless everyone was playing with sideboards, and then wishes could find stuff in those. They've recently reworded a bunch of stuff though as I just found out, and now they phrase that rule like thus:

15. Abilities which refer to other cards owned outside the game (Wishes, Spawnsire, Research, Ring of Ma'ruf) do not function in Commander without prior agreement on their scope from the playgroup.

So yeah, the sideboard/shoe box you have stuffed under your chair/etc distinction no longer applies at all to Commander (just as it wouldn't at the kitchen table), but the cards also just don't work unless everyone you're playing with essentially decides to house-rule them in (I rather like the way they've rephrased that now).
Aaron9797
First Video: ransom

Postby Aaron9797 » 11 Apr 2015, 11:04

my opponent cast dromoka's command adding a counter to his siege rhino and fighting my savage knuckleblade. i returned my knuckleblade with its blue ability and i asked a third party and said my opponent dues not get the counter but latter i was checking and the commands still work on all legal targets so i think he would have got the counter.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 11 Apr 2015, 12:29

Your opponent should still get the counter. The spell still had a legal target. It wouldn't do anything if there were no longer any legal targets for it.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 12 Apr 2015, 04:23

The rule is that if a spell/ability is targeted, and all the targets are illegal on resolution, it's countered. Which can be relevant if you play a command where one mode is targeted and the other isn't... if the target for the targeted mode is illegal, then the whole spell will be countered and the untargeted mode won't happen either. For a more direct analog, if they cast a spell that said, say, "Destroy target creature. Bolster 1." targetting Knux and you bounce it, the spell would be countered and they wouldn't get the +1/+1 counter.

But that's not what's happening here... the spell has three targets (the two for the fight, and the one for the +1/+1 counter... even though two of those are the same Siege Rhino it still counts). Two of those are still legal, so the spell still tries to resolve... the Siege Rhino will get its +1/+1 counter, and then it'll try to fight (but nothing will happen, because one side of the fight is gone).

It's all dumb and confusing, but it's how the rules work.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Aaron9797

Postby Aaron9797 » 13 Apr 2015, 09:35

if i have an athreos, god of passage and have a cabal archon and sacrifice a nontoken cleric or cabal archon itself dues the sac ability happen first or the athreos' ability
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 13 Apr 2015, 17:56

The Archon's ability is put on the stack first, after you pay all it's costs (like sacing a cleric), then Athreos's ability triggers, and goes on the stack on top of that, and resolves first.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Aaron9797

Postby Aaron9797 » 14 Apr 2015, 10:36

if i have a temur sabertooth and i block and activate the sabertooth's abiltiy and my opponent kills it and i have no way of saving it; assuming they killed my sabertooth in response to its ability can i say "i would not like to return a creature to my hand" because returning a creature to my hand is not party of the cast its an optional part of the ability?
phlip

Postby phlip » 14 Apr 2015, 15:30

Correct.

[he/him/his]
Ronwsj
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby Ronwsj » 15 Apr 2015, 23:26

Now I haven't played magic in awhile and I'm putting together this green/red deck with some new cards I just bought and I came across these two cards.

Skullcrack and Druid's deliverance

Now say if I played skullcrack to deal damage to my opponent and they for some reason played druid's, would druid's populate effect still resolve?
Time to goat there~!

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 15 Apr 2015, 23:36

Yes, all of Deliverance would still resolve. The fact that damage cannot be prevented does not cause damage prevention effects from being done. It just makes them useless for any effect preventing or based on preventing damage (For example, it causes Deflecting Palm to do nothing at all).
Ronwsj
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby Ronwsj » 16 Apr 2015, 02:16

Thank you.
Time to goat there~!

Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 16 Apr 2015, 12:08

What happens if you give the card "Battle Mastery" (which gives a card double strike) to a creature that already has double strike, does it get something like quad attack?
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 16 Apr 2015, 12:18

Since it already has the ability, additional instances are redundant and offer no additional benefit.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 16 Apr 2015, 12:27

If you have the red Akroma as your commander, and you want to play her for her morph cost, do you have to specify that it's your commander when you cast her? What if she gets returned to your hand, and you play her as a morph there?
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 16 Apr 2015, 12:35

No you don't have to specify that.

You can find more info about morph and Akroma in EDH here
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 22 Apr 2015, 19:04

If you clone cytoplast manipulator would any stolen creatures care that *A* cytoplast manipulator is on the field or do they care that the one that stole them is still on the field?
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 22 Apr 2015, 19:04

If you clone cytoplast manipulator would any stolen creatures care that *A* cytoplast manipulator is on the field or do they care that the one that stole them is still on the field?
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 22 Apr 2015, 19:17

They care that the one that stole them is still on the field. Any time a card refers to itself by name, treat it as saying "this card" as a general rule of thumb.
phlip

Postby phlip » 22 Apr 2015, 20:02

If something does care about other copies (either other cards with the same name, or copy effects) it will explicitly say "things named whatever".

[he/him/his]
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 23 Apr 2015, 10:57

Cool, I wasn't sure because I know certain cards work off divinity counters but don't care about if said counter came from the card making it. They just care about the concept of divinity counters.
Aaron9797

Postby Aaron9797 » 24 Apr 2015, 10:36

i was playing a game of commander. i cast predatory rampage my opponent as unaware of the blocking rules that if you double block the attacking player gets to decide the order of blockers. when did this rule change i could not remember
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 24 Apr 2015, 10:40

You're right, you get to decide the order in which blockers receive damage. From the Magic Comprehensive Rules:
509.2. Second, for each attacking creature that’s become blocked, the active player announces that creature’s damage assignment order, which consists of the creatures blocking it in an order of that player’s choice. (During the combat damage step, an attacking creature can’t assign combat damage to a creature that’s blocking it unless each creature ahead of that blocking creature in its order is assigned lethal damage.) This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack.
Example: Vastwood Gorger is blocked by Llanowar Elves, Runeclaw Bear, and Serra Angel. Vastwood Gorger’s controller announces the Vastwood Gorger’s damage assignment order as Serra Angel, then Llanowar Elves, then Runeclaw Bear.
phlip

Postby phlip » 24 Apr 2015, 19:59

Aaron9797 wrote:when did this rule change i could not remember

The rule hasn't really changed, in that (sans banding) if I attack with a 3/3 and you block with two 2/2s, then I get to decide which 2/2 dies. It's been like that since the start of the game.

There was a change with the M10 rules change that removed combat damage from the stack... prior to that, if I attacked with a 3/3 and you blocked with three 2/2s, I could assign all 3 damage to one blocker, or 2 to one and 1 to another, or 1 to each (leaving all three alive)... divide up the damage however I wanted, as long as the amount I'm dealing matches the power of the creature. After M10, the rule is that I have to order the blockers as they're declared, then when it comes to dealing damage, I have to deal lethal damage to the first one before moving on to the second.

The reason for the change is it allows a couple of the "with combat damage on the stack" tricks to still work... you can't do the tricksy "block with my creature, let it assign damage, but then sacrifice it for some effect with damage on the stack" nonsense... but one thing you used to be able to do is "I attack with a 3/3" "I block with two 2/2s" "I assign damage 2 and 1" "I cast Giant Growth on the one you assigned 2 to", and then both your creatures survive... now it's "I attack with a 3/3" "I block with two 2/2s" "I order them like this" "I cast Giant Growth on the one you ordered first"... again saving both creatures with a single Giant Growth.

I mean, it's all edge cases that don't come up very often, and in practice under both systems it'd almost always be shortcut as "I attack with a 3/3" "I block with two 2/2s" "I'll kill that one" "OK"... but still, that's how it works.

[he/him/his]
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 25 Apr 2015, 02:12

If I copy a spell with Rebound, does the copy rebound?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”