Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Re: Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

Postby VectorZero » 04 Jul 2015, 01:41

Is there an opportunity to counter a counterbalance trigger (say with stifle or trickbind) after the top card has been revealed?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Jul 2015, 03:35

Not a judge, but I don't think so. Here's how I think it goes. Opponent casts spell. Counterbalance trigger goes on stack on top of it. Then, upon resolution, you choose whether to reveal the card or not. If you reveal the card, the effect resolves and the trigger goes away, not giving you time to counter the trigger.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 04 Jul 2015, 05:25

Correct. The card isn't revealed until the trigger begins to resolve, and therefore it cannot be countered after the card is revealed.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 06 Jul 2015, 19:18

Can anyone give me a few examples of cards described by rule 614.12b?
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 06 Jul 2015, 19:22

614.12b. Some replacement effects cause a permanent to enter the battlefield with its controller's choice of one of two abilities, each marked with an anchor word and preceded by a bullet point. "[Anchor word] -- [ability]" means "As long as [anchor word] was chosen as this permanent entered the battlefield, this permanent has [ability]." The abilities preceded by anchor words are each linked to the ability that causes a player to choose between them. See rule 607, "Linked Abilities."

"As X Siege enters the battlefield, choose Khans or Dragons..."
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 06 Jul 2015, 19:59

Right. That's what I thought it meant, but I wanted to be sure.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 06 Jul 2015, 23:10

Yeah, that rule was added with FRF, and IIRC the five Sieges are so far the only cards that use it.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 19 Jul 2015, 08:52

If I play cathar's crusade while Starfield of nyx is active, does it entering give everything counters?
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 19 Jul 2015, 10:18

Starfield does turn your (non-aura) enchantments into creatures, so yes. Whether or not it still works if Crusade is the fifth enchantment and whether or not Crusade gives itself a +1/+1 counter are questions I do not know the answer to.

And a question: if I sacrifice a creature with Evolutionary Leap whilst I have Shadows of the Past in play, can I choose to scry before Leap's ability starts to resolve? And can I still choose the order of things if the sacrificed creature is a Sultai Emissary?
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 19 Jul 2015, 13:22

If the crusade us the 5th (or more) enchantment, it will enter as a creature, and will trigger itself, and give all your creatures/enchantments a counter.

If you activate Evolutionary Leap, it goes on the stack, followed by any abilities that triggered during the activation, like Shadows of the Past and Sultai Emmisary, in whatever order you like, and then resolve before the Leap ability.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 19 Jul 2015, 15:00

Regarding Cathars' Crusade, is there a difference between 'when [card] enters the battlefield' and 'when a creature enters the battlefield'?

Depending on the specific rule and how it works, I could definitely see a card with an effect not trigger itself. (Though it could be for clarity, it could also be why cards with constellation specify the card _or another enchantment_.) Do you happen to which specific rule allows a general etb trigger to affect the card it's on? (I'm not doubting, just explaining my confusion and hoping to rectify said confusion.)
korvys

Postby korvys » 19 Jul 2015, 15:39

There isn't any difference in how those two things trigger (other than triggering on different things).

"Enters the battlefield" type triggered abilities look at the state of the battlefield after the object has entered. So at the point where the card would trigger, the card is now on the battlefield. If the card now meets the requirements to trigger (possibly due to being affected by a continuous effect that changes, say, its type), it will do so.

If you'd like to get into the details, the relevant rules are in the Comprehensive Rules, 603.6, 603.6a, and 603.6b
606.3 - Click to Expand
603.6. Trigger events that involve objects changing zones are called "zone-change triggers." Many abilities with zone-change triggers attempt to do something to that object after it changes zones. During resolution, these abilities look for the object in the zone that it moved to. If the object is unable to be found in the zone it went to, the part of the ability attempting to do something to the object will fail to do anything. The ability could be unable to find the object because the object never entered the specified zone, because it left the zone before the ability resolved, or because it is in a zone that is hidden from a player, such as a library or an opponent's hand. (This rule applies even if the object leaves the zone and returns again before the ability resolves.) The most common zone-change triggers are enters-the-battlefield triggers and leaves-the-battlefield triggers.

603.6a. Enters-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent enters the battlefield. These are written, "When [this object] enters the battlefield, . . . " or "Whenever a [type] enters the battlefield, . . ." Each time an event puts one or more permanents onto the battlefield, all permanents on the battlefield (including the newcomers) are checked for any enters-the-battlefield triggers that match the event.

603.6b. Continuous effects that modify characteristics of a permanent do so the moment the permanent is on the battlefield (and not before then). The permanent is never on the battlefield with its unmodified characteristics. Continuous effects don't apply before the permanent is on the battlefield, however (see rule 603.6e).
Example: If an effect reads "All lands are creatures" and a land card is played, the effect makes the land card into a creature the moment it enters the battlefield, so it would trigger abilities that trigger when a creature enters the battlefield. Conversely, if an effect reads "All creatures lose all abilities" and a creature card with an enters-the-battlefield triggered ability enters the battlefield, that effect will cause it to lose its abilities the moment it enters the battlefield, so the enters-the-battlefield ability won't trigger.

keybase.io
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 20 Jul 2015, 15:30

Let's say I have a Wild Defiance and a Spellskite, and I cast Lightning Bolt targeting something other than Spellskite. Will the enchantment trigger if I use Spellskite's ability to change the target to itself? And if so, can I continually use Spellskite's ability on the same spell to trigger Wild Defiance multiple times?
phlip

Postby phlip » 20 Jul 2015, 15:49

Wild Defiance triggers when a creature becomes the target of a spell. That is, it triggers when a creature changes from not being a target to being a target. So when you redirect the bolt to Spellskite, Wild Defiance will trigger, but if the bolt is already targeting Spellskite and you activate it again, it won't trigger again.

If you have two Spellskites, though, you can bounce the bolt back and forth between the two and keep getting Wild Defiance triggers.

[he/him/his]
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 20 Jul 2015, 15:52

That's what I thought. Not what I was hoping for, but it's what I expected. Thanks!
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 21 Jul 2015, 16:27

@korvys

Thanks, I'm getting better at some of the finer bits, but I'm not yet at the point where I can quickly locate a relevant rule in the comp rules. :)
korvys

Postby korvys » 21 Jul 2015, 20:57

SixFootTurkey wrote:@korvys

Thanks, I'm getting better at some of the finer bits, but I'm not yet at the point where I can quickly locate a relevant rule in the comp rules. :)

That's ok, I'm cheating by using Yawgatog anyway: http://www.yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/
It's a hyperlinked version, so you can jump around, or look up glossary terms easily. Highly recommend for anyone digging into the finer points of the MTG Comp Rules.

keybase.io
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 22 Jul 2015, 05:52

Well then, that keeps me from needing to ctrl+f constantly, thanks again! ^^
Aaron9797
First Video: ransom

Postby Aaron9797 » 22 Jul 2015, 10:21

if i have a sphinx's tutelage and cast fascination and pick each player draws. dose me and my opponent draw all the cards and then mill from sphinx's tutelage or is it a draw, mill; draw, mill
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 22 Jul 2015, 11:21

You draw, then mill. You basically need to finish resolving Fascination before you can start to resolve the Sphinx's Tutelage triggers.
korvys

Postby korvys » 22 Jul 2015, 17:31

You draw all, then mill, but there is a separate mill trigger for each draw, and they're resolved one at a time (if it matters).

keybase.io
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 23 Jul 2015, 13:25

So I'm given to understand that Suspension Field, if made a creature with an active Starfield of Nyx and made larger with Spear/Dictate of Heliod, can target itself with it's ability to exile/return infinitely. But can you give it +1/+1 with it's own ETB from Oakheart Dryads?
phlip

Postby phlip » 23 Jul 2015, 16:18

Do you mean, can you use the +1/+1 from the Oakheart Dryads instead of the Spear/Dictate/etc to make the Suspension Field a 3/3 so it can exile itself?

IE if you control only Starfield, Oakheart Dryads, and two other irrelevant enchantments to turn Starfield on, and you cast Suspension Field, can you loop it?

In that case: no, you can't. When Suspension Field enters the battlefield, both itself and Oakheart will trigger, and you can choose what order they go on the stack. But whatever order you put them, Suspension field needs to target a creature that already has toughness 3 or greater (since it's a targeting restriction). Regardless of what order you choose to stack the triggers, you need to pick the targets for both before either one resolves. And at that point the Suspension Field is still only a 2/2.

[he/him/his]
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 24 Jul 2015, 13:55

I figured as much, but wanted to check - in case I was missing a trick there. Thankyou!
ThePasserby
First Video: Mercenary Solutions

Postby ThePasserby » 24 Jul 2015, 23:40

Hey, first time questioner here! I just recently gotten into Modern from Standard. Started playing Magic back when it was M14, Return to Ravnica, and Theros, so I am fairly new still. No longer Near Mint though. Lightly Played probably. :lol:

Playing a variation of the Mono Green Devotion list Star City games put up. Replaced some things I couldn't get with things I had, 3x Wistful Silkie, 1x Abundant Growth, and the Wolfbrair Elemental with Coursers, Presence of Nylea, and Nylea. Otherwise the same deck.

In any case.

Questions about Genesis Wave and multiple things with ETB triggers and enchantments.

How does it work if I wave into multiple Eternal Witnesses, some permanents, and say some non-permanents that I want?

How does it work if I get things like Utopia Sprawl and Abundant Growth, do I get to play them on lands I get as I put them into the battlefield?

Do I get to sequence how things enter or do they enter in the order I reveal?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”