Design a Card

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Aarhg
First Video: I have no idea, but I probably liked it.

Re: Design a Card

Postby Aarhg » 12 Nov 2015, 07:59

Here's the finished version of Piercing Embrace. I made the set symbol fit with the card frame as well.
Piercing Embrace - Click to Expand
Aaron9797
First Video: ransom

Postby Aaron9797 » 13 Nov 2015, 10:54

Niv-mizzet's experiment XRU
instant
when you cast niv-mizzet's experiment put the cards in your hand on the bottom of your library in any order and scry x

choose one:

draw x cards; exil the top x cards of your library. until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.

Exil the top x cards of your library. until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards; draw x cards.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Nov 2015, 08:54

My brain came up with the stupidest idea in a dream: A Wall Planeswalker...

How would that even work? :-D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 16 Nov 2015, 11:03

+1: CARDNAME becomes a 0/8 Wall creature with flying, defender and shroud. (CARDNAME does not lose loyalty when not a planeswalker.}
-2: Until your next turn, each creature deals combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power, and Wall creatures you control may attack as though they did not have defender.
-6: Put the top twenty cards of your library into your graveyard, then put three 0/8 blue and white Wall creature tokens with "This creature has the abilities of all Walls in your graveyard" on the battlefield.

Starting loyalty: 3

Edit: added defender to the +1.
Last edited by steric hindrance on 16 Nov 2015, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Nov 2015, 11:34

+1 needs Defender

Havtorn
First Video: A "Things on my head" video

Postby Havtorn » 21 Nov 2015, 13:44

steric hindrance wrote:+1: CARDNAME becomes a 0/8 Wall creature with flying, defender and shroud. (CARDNAME does not lose loyalty when not a planeswalker.}
-2: Until your next turn, each creature deals combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power, and Wall creatures you control may attack as though they did not have defender.
-6: Put the top twenty cards of your library into your graveyard, then put three 0/8 blue and white Wall creature tokens with "This creature has the abilities of all Walls in your graveyard" on the battlefield.

I really like this idea, but I would suggest a couple of possible changes.

When I hear "Wall Planeswalker" I kind of imagine some sort of living fort or castle. While becoming a wall himself is neat, I think putting a wall into play every turn will give the feel of a fortification that is growing and erecting walls around it. I also think it might be a good idea to move the mill-ability to the +1 ability. That way you can build around it by putting in graveyard interaction stuff and it will start to feed those immediately.

Finally, while it might be abusable as hell, I think you could give the ability-leeching thing from the ultimate to all walls and let it stick around as an emblem. It is an ultimate, after all. :)

SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 21 Nov 2015, 16:48

JackSlack, one last concern regarding the ultimate - another templating one. A nonpermanent card that is face down (manifest, etc) will end up drawing the game. You could get around this by putting each card under a random player's control (though the more random we get the more red it feels). Otherwise a simple caveat that specifies permanent cards should do.

-------------------------------

Aura swap is interesting, but I feel like there's more design space if it were to be on the aura coming from your hand. (Yes it would be a very different ability then, but aura swap has... very few ways to actually make a playable card that doesn't warp formats.)

-------------------------------

steric hindrance: unless you want it to remain a wall evermore after the first activation, you'll want to give it a duration (probably 'until your next turn'). Otherwise, it feels a bit overfocused to me, while still being a bit non-clean.

---------------------------------

Havtorn,
Colorless planeswalkers need to be treated _very_ carefully, especially ones that are cheap. The +1 is entirely upside, when it feels like you want to have either a low power +1 (only the self mill perhaps) or an actual cost. For the -3, you'll want to fix the templating to mean combat damage. It's also a bit too unfocused, as it's quite good both offensively and defensively. Also, 'Wall' is not a type or supertype, and to have the 'Wall' subtype it would need to have the type 'Creature' or 'Tribal'.
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 21 Nov 2015, 17:08

General thoughts on wall-walker: If it can generate walls, I would imagine it as a non wall creature. If it is a wall, I imagine it affecting your creatures rather than creating them.

Here's my quick attempt at a wall-esque planeswalker (flavor; not every planeswalker needs to be a creature):

Thoughts:
- I don't really want a U/W or G/U walker, as those already exist, but they seem to be the best fit for your designs. I also don't really want a colorless one.
- I'm doing this quickly, costing is going to be off. The abilities are also a bit scattershot, but they all intrigued me in their own way and I'm curious for feedback on the individual abilities.

----------------------------
[cardname] 2GW

Planeswalker - [subtype]
+2: Target creature you control gains +1/+3 and "whenever this creature attacks, sacrifice it."
-1: Exile a creature card from your graveyard. Put a token onto the battlefield that is a copy of the exiled card except it has Defender.
-9: You get an emblem with: "Whenever a blocking creature you control dies, return it to the battlefield at the beginning of your next upkeep."
Starting Loyalty: 3
----------------------------
Last edited by SixFootTurkey on 21 Nov 2015, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 21 Nov 2015, 18:16

SixFootTurkey wrote:JackSlack, one last concern regarding the ultimate - another templating one. A nonpermanent card that is face down (manifest, etc) will end up drawing the game. You could get around this by putting each card under a random player's control (though the more random we get the more red it feels). Otherwise a simple caveat that specifies permanent cards should do.

There's no reason as to why it would draw the game. If there's a manifested instant or sorcery, it'll just remain in exile. That said, specifying "Deal out all permanent cards this way" would be more grokkable by players when and if that situation comes up.

304.4. Instants can't enter the battlefield. If an instant would enter the battlefield, it remains in its previous zone instead.
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 21 Nov 2015, 19:07

"Repeat this process until all cards exiled with Fblthp of the Unknown Spark this turn are returned to the battlefield"

If there is a single card exiled that cannot be returned, it will continue looping through. A) Put cards onto battlefield. Oops, it can't go there, so it stays where it is. B) Are there any left in exile? Yes: Go to A.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Nov 2015, 08:56

Would this card be too strong?

XBB
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast this, pay XXX life.
Put X loyalty counters on target planeswalker.

SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 22 Nov 2015, 09:01

At the very least, it may limit future design space for ultimate abilities. It would be weird, but only allowing you to use it on a planeswalker that already activated a loyalty ability this turn might get around any one turn combo issues.
Aaron9797

Postby Aaron9797 » 06 Dec 2015, 13:21

a tarkr twist on a cycle in alara reborn

abzan b/g W 2/1 creature - spirit cleric
gets +1/+1 and lifelink if you control another multicolored permanent

jeskai r/w U 2/1 creature - djinn monk
gets +1/+1 and prowess if you control another multicolored permanent

sultai g/u B 2/1 creature - naga assassin
gets +1/+1 and 2: regenerate if you control another multicolored permanent

mardu w/b R 2/1 creature - orc scout
gets +1/+1 and menace if you control another multicolored permanent

temur u/r G 2/1 creature - hound shaman
gets +1/+1 and trample if you control another multicolored permenent
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 09 Dec 2015, 14:26

Carve the Flesh - 2B
Enchantment
(X), put a -1/-1 counter on each of X creatures you control: Put an X/X black Zombie Horror creature token onto the battlefield under your control. X cannot be 0.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Atifexe on 09 Dec 2015, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 09 Dec 2015, 15:44

Atifexe, you could put 5 -1/-1 counters on a 1/1 (or 0/1 >.>) to get a 5/5. I don't know if this is a power issue, but it's definitely a flavor one.

It would also work really well with undying (though this is less of a function issue and more of a balance one - it can be dealt with.)
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 09 Dec 2015, 17:35

You're right, I hadn't considered that. I've edited it to now be one counter per creature.
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 09 Dec 2015, 20:43

That really limits what you can do (you can't turn a 0/4 into a 4/4, which feels integral to the initial design). Here's a possibility:

"""
~ - 2B
Enchantment
Put a -1/-1 counter on a nontoken creature you control: Add a flesh counter to ~. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.

{X}, Remove X flesh counters from ~: Put an X/X black Zombie Horror creature token onto the battlefield. X cannot be 0.
"""

- Nontoken is optional, and could easily be removed. It could also be 'nonzombie'. (This would get around recycling creatures.)
- 'X cannot be 0' feels a little clunky to me. I understand the necessity of it, there's just a part of me that twitches and wants to see if I can make it any cleaner. You could just make the cost {1}{X}, and if they want to make a 0/0 for 1 that's fine. *ponder*
Aaron9797

Postby Aaron9797 » 10 Dec 2015, 11:45

sixfootturkey i like the original card expect i would have the token come in to the battlefield tapped
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Dec 2015, 18:57

What do you think a sorcery-speed "Destroy all permanents" would cost? I'm thinking maybe 5WR?

SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 12 Dec 2015, 08:07

All permanents, or all _nonland_ permanents? If it is hitting lands too, it will probably end up needing to cost enough so that it's not playable just to be on the safe side wrt noninteractive power as well as unfun-ness.

Though... maybe if it requires WUBRG to cast?
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 12 Dec 2015, 14:36

For reference, Obliterate destroys all creatures, artifacts, and lands, and costs 6RR. This theoretical "Destroy all permanents" spell also hits Enchantments and Planeswalkers, the latter of which wasn't even a card type at the time Obliterate was printed (Invasion). I feel that 6BRG might work, or 4WUBRG, depending on how hard you want it to be to cast.
TaiyouShinobi
First Video: Untap

Postby TaiyouShinobi » 15 Dec 2015, 16:00

Would this be useful in any decks or is it just silly?

Power Flux (RG)
Enchantment (Uncommon)
Whenever mana is added to your mana pool from a nonland source, that source also deals one damage to target creature or player.
Underestimate me if you will, but know this. My power will soon become your pain.

I feel like this could be a build around card, but I am not up on the viable mana producers.

To kind of go with this I was thinking of a creature that added one mana (Color TBD) to your mana pool whenever it dealt combat damage, but I don't know what that would look like yet.
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 15 Dec 2015, 16:38

It honestly might be undercosted. It's an asymmetrical damage effect that rewards you for playing acceleration in colors that love big creatures and X-costed burn spells. Even symmetrical effects like Mana Barbs start at CMC 4. That's the lowest I'd cost it at, personally.

Silly little side interaction I noticed: other players can use Spectral Searchlight to give you mama and get a ping effect. In that case, who chooses the target?
TaiyouShinobi

Postby TaiyouShinobi » 15 Dec 2015, 17:50

I had thought I heard about something that allowed you to give your opponent mana which is why I didn't change it to "a source you control". In this case, I would say that whoever controls the source also controls the target. That would be a better question for a judge, but that is the way I intended it; I may have to retemplate to make that happen though.

So if I boosted the cost to 2RG it'd be more on par? I have it pretty low because I was thinking about Zhur-Taa Druid and figured that since you'd have to pay for the mana makers themselves that would even out the cost. But I guess that since you're ramping to begin with, it does nullify that...
TaiyouShinobi

Postby TaiyouShinobi » 18 Dec 2015, 22:32

So here's that creature I was talking about in the earlier post:

Essence (2B)
Creature - Alien Thief (Uncommon)
Whenever Essence Thief deals combat damage to a creature add one mana of one of that creature’s colors to your mana pool.
Whenever Essence Thief deals combat damage to a player you may add one mana of any type to your mana pool.
Lovely energy you have, quite lovely. Might I borrow a bit of it? You don’t mind... Do you?
2/5

Not sure of any easy way to have you be able to add colorless mana, since colorless and generic are distinct now. Figured "type" would work, but yeah. Thoughts?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”