Favorite Sanctioned Format, and Why.

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.

Favourite Sanctioned Format?

Block Constructed
No votes
Booster Draft
64%
Cube Draft
7%
Extended
No votes
Legacy
7%
Modern
No votes
Sealed Deck
7%
Standard
7%
Two-Headed Giant
7%
Vintage
No votes

Total votes: 14
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Favorite Sanctioned Format, and Why.

Postby JackSlack » 19 Mar 2013, 15:39

Go. (And if you say Block Constructed, you may want to say if it's a specific set you like playing, or you just like the idea of Block Constructed in general.)

--

Mine? Sealed. I like the seat-of-your-pantsness of limited, the way it lets bigger mana cards get their chance to shine, the way it allows for a more varied playstate from round to round than constructed does. But I also like that it lets you think it out, in a way draft doesn't.
Last edited by JackSlack on 21 Mar 2013, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Re: Favorite Sanctioned Format, and Why.

Postby AzureAngel17 » 19 Mar 2013, 15:46

I'm quite fond of limited formats, but Booster Draft is definitely my favorite. Sealed is fantastic (especially pre-releases!), but I think I prefer the "you only have yourself to blame" element of Draft.
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Mar 2013, 16:24

I really like drafting because its more even but with thg or 3hg there is more room for different construct decks especially if you build together. one player runs hard core control the other deals all the damage. I did that one time and my opponent said "whats your win con?" I pointed to my partner and said "her"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 19 Mar 2013, 16:28

Booster Draft wins for me hands down. I'm a fan of limited formats in general since I feel it puts everyone on a more even playing field. But sealed makes it so your deck is entirely up to your pool. You can't help what you open. And if you open nothing good... well, you're just going to lose to the guy who got two mythics which work well together most of the time. It's also a very 'static' format. You're alone. You build your deck alone. You open your boosters alone. It's got no flow to it.

Draft, on the other hand, is more fluid. You get a number of packs to look at and choose what would work best in your deck. It's pretty uncommon that you can't find anything that won't work in your deck (even if the card isn't necessarily good). It's also your choice what you do. Which colors you go, which things you prioritize, etc. There is still luck of course. If you open up a huge bomb, you're better off than the person who opened crap rares. But that person still has a chance. Hell, I've won a draft using only 'junk rares' like Stolen Identity since I didn't pull anything that good.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 19 Mar 2013, 17:20

While I certainly enjoy booster draft, the quality of he format is incredibly dependent on the set that's being drafted.

So, I'll have to vote for the format I play most consistently and have always enjoyed greatly, which is Legacy.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 19 Mar 2013, 18:32

Limited: sealed
Draft is ok too.
^( " )^
winner!
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 20 Mar 2013, 06:42

Drafting, easily. It's just the most fun and challenging format out there. I've played so many types of draft and I never get tired of any of them, save for Zendikar limited (that format was just busted).

Although to be fair, Onslaught block constructed was pretty awesome (yes, I've been playing for that long). All the decks were just playing huge monsters and stuff. I'm not a Timmy, but for that specific format I'd make an exception.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 20 Mar 2013, 14:09

Legacy be a large margin then either Vintage or Modern.
It is the format with the most different decktypes and it is a format were there is alot of weird intaractions, for example i once played against a deck in a Grand Prix that put 5 Layline into play then played a Serra's Sanctum then played a Opalescence and killed me, that is such a weird interaction in a really unstable deck that is fun to see
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 20 Mar 2013, 15:54

Jenelmo wrote:Legacy be a large margin then either Vintage or Modern.
It is the format with the most different decktypes and it is a format were there is alot of weird intaractions, for example i once played against a deck in a Grand Prix that put 5 Layline into play then played a Serra's Sanctum then played a Opalescence and killed me, that is such a weird interaction in a really unstable deck that is fun to see

That's hilarious, and now I kind of want to build that.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 20 Mar 2013, 16:33

It seemed like a fun deck, but it didn't seem like a very consistent deck as he mulliganed and did almost nothing the two other games.
But then if it was a consistent turn 1 kill more people would play it.

Don't know if it is the same list as i can't remember his but found an old decklist on Wizards own site of a deck that look like it
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/deck/626

By the way is there a reason that EDH/Commander is not in the Poll
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 20 Mar 2013, 17:38

I'm a pretty big constructed anti-fan... mainly because it gets boring to just play the same deck every time, but if I just build a new deck every few weeks then chances are most of them are going to be terrible. Draft, on the other hand, you play a different deck every time, you have enough control that you can (if you're good enough) get a reasonable deck out pretty often, but not so much control that many of your opponents are going to be running superpowerful carefully-tuned decks and you need to have a superpowerful carefully-tuned deck yourself to have a chance. It lets you get variety of decks without gutting your chance of winning like playing constructed with crazy decks does.

I have essentially stopped going to my FLGS on Saturdays now since they replaced their Saturday draft with Modern... the Saturday schedule is now just Standard and Modern and I rarely feel like spending most of a day just to play a couple of constructed tournaments. I pretty much only play the FNM draft, now.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 20 Mar 2013, 18:05

Jenelmo wrote:It seemed like a fun deck, but it didn't seem like a very consistent deck as he mulliganed and did almost nothing the two other games.
But then if it was a consistent turn 1 kill more people would play it.

Don't know if it is the same list as i can't remember his but found an old decklist on Wizards own site of a deck that look like it
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/deck/626

By the way is there a reason that EDH/Commander is not in the Poll

I think it's because Commander is a casual format, not a sanctioned one, although technically 2HG is a sanctioned format that isn't listed here either.

And yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be competitive, but I think I have enough competitive decks for legacy (I have 3) and wouldn't mind having a silly one on hand.

EDIT: 2HG is actually on the poll, just didn't notice it because I never play it. But Block Constructed is missing from the poll.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 21 Mar 2013, 00:51

Weird. My FNM does edh tournaments.
^( " )^
winner!
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 21 Mar 2013, 01:00

Volafortis wrote:EDIT: 2HG is actually on the poll, just didn't notice it because I never play it. But Block Constructed is missing from the poll.

Oh DAMN IT. I meant to put it on there.

DOUBLE DAMN IT. Editing the poll resets all the votes cast!

Sigh.
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 21 Mar 2013, 22:15

I definitely have to go with draft, specifically booster draft. As others have said, it certainly can fluctuate depending on the set, but even the worst format is probably still ahead of any other format for me.

For one, there's just something I love about cracking open a pack, having that chance for some sweet mythic or rare. Second, just the drafting itself I love, it's like its own game really. And then on top of both of those things, you get to play Magic!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Apr 2013, 04:32

Cube Draft, Booster Draft, Legacy, Block Constructed, in that order of preference.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 16 Apr 2013, 04:53

Booster draft, cube draft, commander
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”