So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

Postby JayBlanc » 18 May 2013, 15:26

I'm having my usual good luck at drafting cards, and really bad luck on drawing cards...

In my hand I have Rakdos's Return, in play I have Master of Cruelties, two swamps and four mountains. All I need to do is bring them down to range, and if Master of Cruelties ever gets through it instantly brings the opponent down to 1.

But I'm down to 3 life, and my Opponent has Lavinia of the Tenth (and its protection from red) out, they're on 14 life, and that Rakdos return is the only thing I have in hand.

Unless I make some epic topdeck draw I'm dead.

I draw Act of Treason. Taking Lavinia. Swing with Master of Cruelties.

My oponant looks at me and says, "And this is where you Rakdos Return me for One isn't it."

Edit: Do'h. I'm seriously misremembering it. Lavinia is what someone else got out to win the next round, because it shuts down Rakdos. I can't remember what it was I took the first time. They did win the round. I'm wracking my memories trying to remember what it was that was blocking Master of Cruelties. I think it must have been something they'd pumped above 4 toughness.
Last edited by JayBlanc on 19 May 2013, 07:28, edited 2 times in total.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 18 May 2013, 15:50

Lavinia has pro red, you can't actually target her with Act of Treason...
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 May 2013, 18:21

Yep, illigal move.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 18 May 2013, 18:29

You're retroactively DQ'd and are now hated by all here!

By which I mean illegal moves do happen from time to time. And when nobody catches it until it's far too late, there's not much that can be done about it. I had the same thing happen to me. I got a Progenitor Mimic on the field copying a Scion of Vitsu-Gazi. So I figured, when the Scion token came into play, I could just get a 1/1 bird and copy the new token itself, thereby getting another to populate, and another, and another, etc. It wasn't until after the match when I told a friend about it that someone pointed out that Scion specifically says 'if this was cast from your hand.' So the populate trick wouldn't have worked.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 19 May 2013, 03:01

My favourite story (which unfortunately didn't just happen, rather it happened at NZ nationals 2007) was that my friend ate an Umizawa'a Jitte.

He and another friend where playing a side event after missing the cut to day 2, a two-headed giant, Kamigawa block sealed, ironman.

If you're unfamiliar with ironman, it's a casual variant, where if a card would be exiled or go to the graveyard, it's destroyed instead. By which I mean, it's ripped up. In this case, the winning team (best of one) gets the cards of the losers to rebuild their now half ripped up deck.

For some reason, they main-boarded artifact destruction. Their opponents proudly played the Jitte out, and ran straight into the artifact hate. They picked up the card, and held it for a few seconds, not wanting to rip up a card which was, at the time, worth probably $25, before my friend reached over, grabbed it, and put it in his mouth.

He said it didn't taste as good as a Swamp.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 19 May 2013, 07:21

Kapol wrote:You're retroactively DQ'd and are now hated by all here!

By which I mean illegal moves do happen from time to time. And when nobody catches it until it's far too late, there's not much that can be done about it. I had the same thing happen to me. I got a Progenitor Mimic on the field copying a Scion of Vitsu-Gazi. So I figured, when the Scion token came into play, I could just get a 1/1 bird and copy the new token itself, thereby getting another to populate, and another, and another, etc. It wasn't until after the match when I told a friend about it that someone pointed out that Scion specifically says 'if this was cast from your hand.' So the populate trick wouldn't have worked.

See above edited post. I was mis-remembring (This was a couple of weeks ago!), Latvina was what they someone got out first game and last game to stop my Rakdos deck from doing anything in a different round. And which I should have remembered because it's part of why I decided Rakdos doesn't work in limited any more. (Too many ways to shut down Rakdos) I can't remember what they had down now, but thought it was Latvina because that's how they got me the other two games. The game was also against the draft organiser, so they would have called me on it, and I would have had to hide from embarrassment.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 20 May 2013, 04:51

was just in a standard match testing a deck which has domri rade and 25 creatures in the deck. i got domri out and used his +1 7 times and every single fucking time it was a land. was so annoying. lol
Drecon

Postby Drecon » 20 May 2013, 06:06

Lemegeton wrote:was just in a standard match testing a deck which has domri rade and 25 creatures in the deck. i got domri out and used his +1 7 times and every single fucking time it was a land. was so annoying. lol

To be fair, 25 is less than 1/3rd of the deck.
Still, the odds of missing 7 consecutive activations (taking an average of about 45 cards left in your deck) would be about 2 percent... So that's indeed tough luck.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 20 May 2013, 11:24

I personally run 35 creatures I believe with Domri. But I like using Domri as a turn-3 drop to help me hit land (if I am at 3 land and can't hit another, he can help me thin my deck). That's one of my favorite uses of him actually. I'd be more willing to keep a hand with him in it and only a couple land because of that.
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 20 May 2013, 15:29

I just beat one of the most insane DGR draft decks I've seen- he never got land screwed and from his deck I saw:

Aetherling
Desecration Demon- which he got out every game (Twice on Turn 4)
Nightveil Specter- which he got out on Turn 3 twice, one time stealing Cobblebrute, Mountain (to play it), Dreg Mangler and Putrefy in succession
Lyev Skynight
Bane Alley Broker
Warped Physique
Dinrova Horror

And decent cards to round it all out-Pilfered Plans, Wind Drake etc etc. I had a fairly average Jund deck, highlights being Clan Defiance and Putrefy. Game 3 I managed to do it mostly threw Sewer Shambler, Ruination Wurm and well timed Traitorus Instinct. Game 2 I worked myself into a situation where I cou
ld Clan Defiance him out.

Really happy. He didn't play optimally, but I feel like I really played to my outs to give myself the opportunity to eek out the wins. But it's also one of those moments where I'm reminded that just having a solid deck that curves out well and playing solidly is enough to overcome even the bombiest of decks

A few things I am learning through DGR drafts though:

Ruination Wurm is surpisingly good as a 1 or 2 of.
Golgari Decoy + Bloodthirst = good times allround.
Picking up Maze Abominations is always good if they're there- so many great interactions- Mortus Strider, Izzet Staticaster, Gruul in general (big deathtouchy guys in a Guild that loves to fight) and a few more.
Curve is so important, particularly in aggresive decks where people to try and fiddle about with cluestones, keyrune, etc.
Maybe just me, but I always want to be in Red in someway or another- great creatures, aggro seems solid and Threaten effects seem generally bonkers in this set.
4/5 colour just isn't viable enough of the time.
Battering Krasis always ends up being a sad shark and never really what you want. The same goes for the lesser seen Renegade Krasis.
There are so many awesome bombs in this format that premium removal like Grisly Spectacle, Putrefy, Arrest etc. is unpassable if you're in those colours- P1P1, I can't imagine anything I'd take over Putrefy/Warleader's Helix/Far and Away that isn't rare/mythic.

At the moment I think I like the Kenji plan of forcing an RTR guild if it's there, or the Ben Stark plan(s) outlined on ChannelFireball- a must read really:

About 10-20 drafts deep, as well as reading/writing...I really like this format, although the only downside is that some plans seem really difficult to do- Populate, 5-colour and in general, I think control decks just aren't that good unless you're Orzhov.

Loving DGR and happy to discuss it with anyone. By no means am I an expert at draft, but the format seems really rich in playability, so I'm eager to hear the opinions of others!
John North
First Video: ISC

Postby John North » 26 May 2013, 11:15

Best one I have off the top of my head is from the DGM Game Day.
Playing my Orz.Dos deck and first round is against White/Blue/Green Snapcaster ALL the Advent of the Wurm'sdeck.
Needless to say I got slapped all up in this bitch round one and managed to go rush him for a quick game two with a BB of VK Demon tag team.
Real fun though was in game three.
Opening hand game three has Nevermore and Rest in Peace, snap keep right there.
The look on his face when I went Rest in peace into Nevermore naming Advent of the Wurm was amazing, lost that game by the skin of my teeth when he top decked a Selesnya Charm to get in for that last point of life but god it felt good to cripple his Top Tier deck.
Thought for the Day: Any problem can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 May 2013, 12:34

I got a email today, there was a fight at FNM on friday after I left.

In game one Player 1 called judge because player 2 had failed to shuffle after playing a greenside watcher picking up his library and pulling a land off the bottom, he just set the deck back down. Player 2 was issued a warning and told to shuffle. In game three Player 2 had two cards in hand, played a Opal Lake Gatekeepers, drew cards, immediately played a Hover Barrier and had three cards in hand. Player one called the judge over who issued a game loss to player two because "it could have been in your hand like you say, it could have been one of the three you picked up, sorry, thats a game loss"

Apparently this was more than player two was willing to deal with and he punched the judge who stumbled back into player threes table knocking it over and causing cards to hit the floor and a judge to hit the floor on top of them. Player three plays only foil unhinged and Zendikar lands (because apparently he is crazy) Player three and four were in a intense game three which player three was losing so when player four picked up a bent and crinkled land and started laughing player three took a swing at him and according to the email it was Nerdageddon. 3 people went to the hospital for lacerations from a smashed display case and 4 people were arrested when the police arrived.

all 16 people still in the store were issued DQ's to serve as a warning against fighting and because they didnt know how to determine between people who had fought and people who were just trying to break up the fight. The two people who were outside after quick games having a smoke were awarded first and second the guy who had dropped with a 1-2 record was given third and me with my 0-2 drop was ruled fourth.

There will be a follow up Email coming to see if FNM will be run next week.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
korvys

Postby korvys » 26 May 2013, 14:16

When I was a judge (hopefully I will be again, after a long break) my rules knowledge was excellent, but my confidence in giving penalties was not; I'm not really that good with confrontation.

Lord Hosk, you haven't helped.

keybase.io
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 26 May 2013, 14:33

So, uh... grats on fourth I guess? Holy cow that's insane. If your store doesn't do FNM this week, post here, I'm sure we can try to get something going on MtGO to keep you company!
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 May 2013, 16:32

If it helps the judge was ok and I hear that a good part of the fight was over people going to help him.

I wonder what the official response from dci will be, I dont think a 16 person DQ will stand.

[–]Graham_LRR
korvys

Postby korvys » 26 May 2013, 17:18

I'd be interested to know as well. For something as serious as assaulting an official, I imagine a suspension is also in order. For the others involved, who knows?

keybase.io
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 May 2013, 20:11

The guy who hit the judge has bigger things to worry about than a suspension, he was arrested and can potentially be charged with inciting to riot. since he "caused over 10 people to engage in violence and caused a panic"

[–]Graham_LRR
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 May 2013, 19:21

I got a email from the store.

FNM is canceled for Friday they aren't changing the prize pay outs so I get to keep my $12 in store credit but the DQ's have been removed from all but the 4 people who got arrested and they changed how it was reported so there were a lot of draws put into the system. (shrugs)

The guy who hit the judge and the guy with the expensive lands who escalated the fight are banned from the store and are under review for additional action.

FNM should be back next week they are cutting it off this week "to cool off" and make sure everything is handled correctly.

[–]Graham_LRR
rerout
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby rerout » 31 May 2013, 03:56

I had a disgusting combo go off while playing on MtGO a while ago. I was playing with a friend so I actually felt kind of bad about it. I was trying out a Bruna enchantment deck, and when I swung-in and attached all of my auras she was a 19/19. She was immediately killed by a Divine Verdict(irony?) and I was kind of disappointed but then Murder Investigation went off and I was thinking free 1/1's anyway. Then I realized I had Cathar's Crusade in play, so all 19 tokens entered the battlefield as 20/20's.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 01 Jun 2013, 05:23

Whelp, decided to play a 4 booster sealed and managed to win a game in which I played Worldspire Wurm (that's 11 mana from a 30 card deck). Twice! One in the 1st round and the 3rd. :D
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Bluenoser
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Bluenoser » 02 Jun 2013, 17:13

Was doing a DGM Swiss draft today, and I end up with a pretty sweet BUG deck. Lots of good stuff; evasion guys, some buffs, some ciphered fun, etc etc. Anyways, the two highlights were Desecration Demon and Progenitor Mimic. Can you guess where this is going?

Anyways, it didn't end up happening until M3G2, but when it did, it was glorious! My opponent managed to keep me at bay for a couple turns with detain and hands of binding, but that only resulted in the sillyness getting out of control.

Here was the final board state:
http://i.imgur.com/hKGm7KL.jpg
Drecon

Postby Drecon » 03 Jun 2013, 01:50

I guess that's a guy that gets better in multiples, yes :P
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 03 Jun 2013, 20:37

This happened the other day, but I forgot to post about it until now.

It was the fifth round of the WMCQ; my opponent and I both undefeated. We are one win apiece, and playing the tiebreaker.

Turn three comes, and he pitches Unburial Rites and Trostani's Summoner to his graveyard with a Faithless Looting. The previous turn, he had discarded an Angel of Serenity. He passes the turn to me, and I calculate the damage; I can't do lethal damage this turn, but I can leave him on 2 life. However, if he plays an untapped land, he will be able to flashback Rites into the summoner or the angel. Of course, if he does that, he's still on only 2 life, but that will put me very much on the back foot unless I draw a burn spell, so he might be able to leverage out of that.

I swing in, leaving him on 2. He draws his card, looks over the board state and his graveyard, then plays Stomping Ground tapped and leans back and gives me a huge, confident smile as he passes the turn back.

I draw (Skullcrack), and consider the board state. I can't see a way that I can't win, but he is smiling at me like it's all totally under his control, so I'm nervous. I swing in with my board, and he leans over and very meticulously taps each of his three land. I'm racking my brain trying to think what he has in hand that could buy him an extra turn, when he leans across the table to shake my hand and concede.

Well played, sir. I was terrified.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Jun 2013, 06:38

TTC for the win. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 04 Jun 2013, 07:22

I wonder if he watches LRR in any capacity (I know TTC isn't just a LRR thing, but it's certainly pretty strongly LRR).

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”