So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Kaziel
First Video: One of the Checkpoints while on PATV

Re: So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

Postby Kaziel » 19 Mar 2014, 08:43

Two stories, one from this week and one from three weeks ago. I recently decided to get back into playing after a long hiatus. I played a lot in high school, back during Ice Age, but I fell out as I turned my attentions elsewhere. Last year I picked up DotP 2014 and played a bit, then also started watching the videos, including the MtG ones. Between those two, the bug bit me again.

So I'm usually busy Friday nights, so most FNMs are out, but my local gaming store does a similar thing on Monday nights. I go in for my first night playing, and sign up for a draft, figuring it's a good way to build up a collection.

We get our three packs and I crack open the first (BNG) and start leafing through the cards, see a few promising options, then get to the rare. It's the Chromanticore. I waffle on it. I was under no illusions that choosing it would be a good move, but at the same time, it's so ridiculous, how could I not? So I pick it, then start aiming for card draw, scrying cards, fixing, and a few good critters.

I ended up going 0 and 3, but I loved every match and even got some moral victories when I played the Chromanticore.

Then this past Monday I go in and start drafting and the I don't see anything amazing and just start picking through the packs. By the fourth pack, I've nabbed two good Minotaurs and decide to just go all-in on Minotaurs. While I didn't make an amazing deck, I did manage 1W-1L-1D which means a $5 store credit at where I play. That was just icing on the cake, as I enjoyed playing my Minotaur deck (Ragemongers are GROSS! :D)

Anyway, now for quick jump back in time, but I've decided to pick up a booster of the latest set when I go in and that night was no different. I had just forgotten about it as I was running a little late. After the draft wraps up, I start leafing through the cards, seeing a few nice ones and I get to the Rare card and it's a MOGIS! What are the odds of getting a Mogis just after drafting a bunch of Minotaurs?! Amazing timing!
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 21 Mar 2014, 11:05

Interesting interaction in a Cube draft last night.

Meet Legacy's Allure:

Note that it says "Take control of target creature with power no greater than the number of treasure counters" on it.

So my opponent had four counters on it and tried to take my 4/5 Tarmogoyf.

Unfortunately for him, there were as yet no enchantments in the graveyard when he activated the ability.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 21 Mar 2014, 14:19

Yeah that is the same reason you never Tarfire Goyf
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 21 Mar 2014, 20:19

I was in the 3rd round of a Mirage Block Swiss draft (I prefer the Swiss ones for these types of formats that I've never played before), the Flashback Draft this week on MTGO. In game 1 on turn 2 my opponent casts this...

He then proceeds to win 5 flips in a row, choosing heads each time, and domeing me out for 20 and the win. On the plus side I did win games 2 and 3 and the match, but that game 1 was something alright.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 28 Mar 2014, 00:07

Last weekend I was playing a Legacy match against Sneak and Show. The match was tied 1-1, and we were in game three. he had attempted to combo out twice, but he had been countered each time.

Worse for him, I had Surgical Extractioned + Snapcaster Surgical Extractioned his Show and Tells and Sneak Attacks. I had been controlling his top decks with Vendilion Clique + Karakas, and he was down to 5 life, his only way to win being Burning Wish. He managed to get himself his Burning Wish, thanks to a Brainstorm setup. He knew my clock had him dead in 2 turns, so he decided to play his win slowly, knowing he would be dead to Force of Will either way, but so he could play around Spell Peirce.

So he casts the Burning Wish, it resolves, and he finds his Show and Tell. Super excitedly, he passes the turn, knowing he has the game next turn (I had been faking him out on a Spell Peirce in my hand the whole game). I bounce/recast my Vendilion Clique on my own turn, which tucked his Show and Tell, and he just sat there in shock for a good 10 seconds before he recovered, because he had gotten so used to me doing it to control his topdecks at the end of his draw step that he forgot that I could just sort of do it whenever.

And that's why you don't want to focus super narrowly on only one of your opponents potential answers.

ImageImage
selenes92
First Video: Untap

Postby selenes92 » 30 Mar 2014, 08:46

Three funny stories that happened to me...

The first time I ever learned how to play Magic was September of 2012. I went to visit my sister in Maryland, and she taught me how to play. She built me a casual Simic Soulbond deck. She was running a deck where she ran a ton of tokens. She swings at me with like 4 centaurs and I looked to be dead, but I cast Terrifying Presence and named a creature that wasn't attacking at all, I thereby took no damage. Because my sister was new to magic as well, she didn't believe I could target non combat involved creatures. I won next turn.

Switching to a time where I got super boned (and this has been a solid lesson for me since it happened)...
A few friends and my then boyfriend at the time, decided to hold a junk draft with ROE... I ended up building a combo deck where my win con was to make bloodthrone vampire unblockable, sac the necessary creatures after making it unblockable, and then deal lethal... Well, I got greedy. I had won all my matches so far, and now I was up a game. My friend lets me sac my entire board for the overkill and as I move to declare attackers she bounces the bloodthrone to my hand. I learned never to play for an overkill, and I've also learned how to play better against control.

Last but not least, a game of commander (cuz that's where all the silly stuff is :D)... I run marath tokens in EDH. Why? Cuz it's fun. What doesn't make it fun? Purphoros
Well my friends had not really acknowledged that purphoros is a thing to be reckoned with and they were more or less fighting it out. They whittle each other down to low life totals, I go "summon marath, blow the counters on marath to generate 1/1s, you both lose?"

Another commander game with the same group, I went to make my opponents Marath a Darksteel Mutation... I forgot it keeps the counters.... I got wrecked with a 5/6 darksteel bug. I was super irritated lol.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 22 Apr 2014, 01:27

TL:DR There is little more satisfying than beating a UW control deck that has resolved Sunder, Force of Will, Commandeer, Stoneforge Mystic and Armageddon

I love it when this happens. So i'm playing my Heliod EDH deck, its Angel and Archon Tribal, but thats not relevant for this story. I make a 4-man game and at the table we have. Me (Heliod), Player 2 (Nin the Pain Artist), Player 3 (Ephara, God of the Polis) and Player 4 (Mirri Cat Warrior). I keep a hand of lands, Sol Ring and New Elspeth. So The opening Gambits come down and I land my Heliod Turn two. Turn 3 i have drawn Thran Dynamo and cast it.

Here is where things get interesting. The Ephara deck has kinda durdled up to this point, playing and bouncing whitemane lion a couple of times. I cast my Elspeth on turn 3 into and empty board. Ephara Commandeers it, Exiling Pact of Negation and Blue Sun's Zenith. Sure that seems like it would be ok except Ephara also counters a couple more things that would come onto the board that could be remotely threatening (Luckily there were enough creatures around to kill Elspeth before it got going). The upshot of this is that I've been drawing nothing but lands at this point, which is fine because I just keep making tokens with Heliod and bashing The Ephara deck when I can.

He then casts Treachery to Steal the Mirri Player's Mirri, which has a significant number of pants on at this point. And then cast Merchant Scroll finding.... Sunder so yay... all of the lands into all of the hands. The next turn Ephara casts Sower of Temptation (Off Island, Sol Ring, Azorius Signet) stealing the Mirri player's last creature who promptly concedes in the face of this and proceeds to spend the rest of the game in chat raging at the Ephara player.

A couple of turns pass and I make a few tokens, have an angel force of willed, the usual. Anyway Ephara gets Devoted and the Ephara player taps out to cast stoneforge mystic which finds sword of Feast and Famine which he then casts and equips. This is rather relevant as I've been racing fairly well with my tokens but a flier equiped with a sword is going to be to much for me. So Ephara moves to the attack phase and then out of nowhere the Nin Deck, which hasn't done much up to this point casts Lavaball Trap, destroying two of the Ephara deck's lands and dealing 4 to each creature, essentially wrathing the board. I make a couple of tokens, keep bashing the Ephara player who next turn casts... Armageddon. Yep, bye bye lands, lucky I have been drawing nothing but you this whole game. We eventually whittle down his last health and are able finally get there off an Unearthed Kederekt Leviathan.

I eventually end up losing the game to the Nin Deck but the moral of this one is no matter how controlling and unfun a deck someone brings to a table you can always beat them if you work together and I am not ashamed to say I did not return the Ephara Player's GG
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 03 May 2014, 19:37

It's not a gameplay story, but I was entertained:

Back in February I got a $20 gift certificate to my LGS as a birthday present from a friend. BNG had already been out a couple weeks and I'd opened two of the three mythics I wanted from the set at the prerelease, so I decided to hold onto it until JOU.

I cashed it in today for six packs. As I was sifting through the packs in the box, I noticed that there were only two Ajani-art packs left. The guy at the register said people seemed real keen on them, hoping they might actually have Ajani in them or something. I'm a courteous sort of person, and I believe in Magic karma, so I only took one of them and left the other for the next person. Jokingly I set it aside to open last because "if I don't open anything good, maybe he'll change my luck."

The first five packs had nothing spectacular.

The Ajani pack... had an Ajani.
brb, assaulting children.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 03 May 2014, 20:09

Wow! Nice pull. If only there was a pack with a Godsend on it... :/
Credit to Foxmar
ThyLordQ
First Video: How to talk like a pirate

Postby ThyLordQ » 05 May 2014, 03:40

At the Journey sealed event, on release day, I go and end up Green Red, with some decent pulls and a foil Bearer of Heavens. Match 2 I manage to get it onto the field every game. Clearly this was a sign of some kind.
All three games, the world got dropped, with no cards in my hand.
Game 1 I got beat to death with a brain maggot.
Game 2 I manage to draw the Stormbreath I was lucky enough to pull and five lands in a row.
Game 3? Well, Game 3 it didn't technically have to die. My opponent had a deathtouch dude and not much else, and I probably could have won if I waited.
I ran Atlas into it, and my opponent obliged my ridiculous desire to watch the world burn.
We ended up racing with pikers and I barely pulled through with a combat trick.

I bought my opponent a pack for his fantastic sportsmanship and hilarious games.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 06 May 2014, 05:17

It was match three game two I was up one, I had Fate Unraveler, Agent of the Fates, two Servant of Tymaret and a blood toll harpy on board. My opponent had 6 life, I had like 26. I cast three targeting spells at my agent wiping his board, and said "sorry I feel I have to do this" and passed.

My opponent responded, I would be disappointed if you didnt.

we proceeded to F6 for 6 turns, he discarded a card.

I won off Fate Unravler triggers my opponent said "This was one of the most fun games of Magic I have ever played GG"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
DelphiSantano
First Video: Unskippable - Dead Rising

Postby DelphiSantano » 07 May 2014, 00:12

The other day at the Monday night tournament that my local store runs along with FNMs, I was running (well, testing) my new mono-green deck.
Now, I've been playing with this club for quite a while now and if there's one thing they know me well for, it's playing weird cards that rarely see constructed play because I love janky combos.
So, naturally, I was running a couple of Worldspine Wurms.

One game, I +1'd Garruk, revealing both Wurms, then next turn -3'd him to put one onto the battlefield and tap Nykthos for 11 green mana and hard-cast the other before passing the turn. My opponent just looked at his hand, my board and conceded.

Then, in a later game, I was playing against Esper control. In game 1, he -8'd Jace, AoT and took a Worldspine before beating me down with it.
In game 2, he made it his goal to do the same again (we both knew I didn't stand a chance of beating him with this deck, and both we and the growing audience found it hilarious anyway). He had Ashiok on the field, +2 every turn searching for the Wurms, Elspeth churning out soldiers but not attacking with them, and Jace building towards his ultimate.
Eventually, I passed the turn with only 5 cards left in my library. He +2'd Ashiok, revealing a land and a couple of small creatures, having thus far been unable to dig out the Wurms. 2 cards left in my library, He -8's Jace, revealing... 2 forests. The next turn he -10's Ashiok to take my hand and graveyard, finding that both Worldspines had been in my hand the entire time, then passes to me and I lose because I can't draw.
I count it as a moral victory because he never got to cast my Wurms ;-)

The funny thing is, while the Wurms came down several times over the course of the evening, I never got to swing with them because my opponents conceded first, so the only time they dealt damage was when they were attacking me...
"Do hydras lay eggs or bear live young?"

DCI Judge Level 2
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 09 May 2014, 15:07

So I'm in a four player EDH game, with one person having out Kamahl, Fist of Krosa and Caged Sun with a bunch of open mana.

And another opponent casts Chain Reaction

And that's when all our lands died.
W1LG3RtheCyan
First Video: An Arrogant Worms music video.

Postby W1LG3RtheCyan » 10 May 2014, 21:31

I was playtesting my 2 EDH decks against each other again with the Treva deck managing to pull off a couple wins against my Rith deck, so my modifications seem to be working. It's hilarious when you Bioshift the monstrosity counters from Hundred-Handed One onto Treva, cast Trollhide on Treva, and then resolve Zegana with 11 +1/+1 counters on it and draw 12, but this brought up a theoretical scenario that I wasn't sure about. I know that Bioshift triggers two heroic abilities if you move counters from a creature with heroic to another creature with heroic. The question is: can you also move +1/+1 counters that are added by the first heroic trigger, since you target one creature and then the other? If so, Hero's Bane + Centaur Battlemaster is going to be ridiculous.
"The hull has been breached and the science is leaking out!" ~SPAZ 2
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 10 May 2014, 23:37

After you cast Bioshift targeting the creatures, if any of them have heroic those trigger and go on the stack on top of Bioshift. The triggers resolve in whatever order you set them up, then Bioshift resolves. Since you don't have to choose how many counters to move around until the resolution of Bioshift, any that show up from heroic triggers are totally fair game.
W1LG3RtheCyan
First Video: An Arrogant Worms music video.

Postby W1LG3RtheCyan » 11 May 2014, 10:24

That's what I figured. Thank you very much.

Edit: I decided to see how many zombies I could get out of my "Zombie Treasure Hunt" deck before I decked myself. I ran out of dice, including 2 DnD basic games worth, one special dice set, 2 spindowns, a bunch of random D6's of unknown origin, and 1 DnD miniatures starter kit d20. ("Endless Ranks of the Dead" prevents this from being a consistent value.)
"The hull has been breached and the science is leaking out!" ~SPAZ 2
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 15 May 2014, 15:10

I had a weird first match of an 8-4 (an 8-4 keep in mind). Game 1, opponent scoops on my third turn. All I have on the field are three forests and a springleaf drum. Game two, he wins after lucking into an exiled topdeck with Ornitharch (something that happened due to a misplay on my part, honestly).

Game three, he goes turn 1, 0/4 heroic. Turn 2, Akroan Skyguard. Turn 3, swing with the skyguard, scoop. Why? Because I went turn 1 forest, turn 2 forest, turn 3, Bow of Nylea... which apparently was enough for him to scoop for. I think his plan was based around cheap, low-toughness fliers (that's how he beat me game 2). But still... scooping turn 3 of game 3 of an 8-4 because I played one card? With nothing else shown in my hand or on the field? That seems really weird.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 25 May 2014, 09:56

Highlight of my weekend: Playing Whims of the Fates in a 3-person commander game, and having both opponents sac all their permanents and then snap concede. Got there.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 06 Jun 2014, 19:07

So, during a Conspiracy draft, I somehow manage to get a Lurking Automaton to table in pack 3. So, I take my 5-mana 9/9 and announce to the table. Guy next to me who took an Automaton P1P4 wonders aloud how that thing tabled. I chew him out because he didn't get a pair of 5-mana 10/10s.

Conspiracy is a freaking hoot!
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 06 Jun 2014, 20:10

I was playing a game of commander with a friend who really hates to lose and won in one of the most hilarious of ways.

I was running U/W with Daxos (A deck I threw together with cards I had around)

My friend in question was running U/B/G with Mimeoplasm(A deck he plays at tournaments)

And there was a third player who was running the Esper prebuilt deck with mild modifications.

So it went down like this:

The Esper player had had the upperhand by using the guy who gains life in the command zone and myself and my friend had been just trying to stabilize a board state. The epser player at about 70ish life plays a U/B card that lets him look at the top 5 cards and put em back in any order, or pay 1 life to do it again. he goes from 70ish to almost 50 looking for a specific card. As it turns out, it was Felidar Sovereign. He casts it and then passes turn, which falls to me. In my hand I have daring theif and hypnotic siren AND am sitting at 45 health. So I bestow hypnotic to take his felidar and pass turn to my friend, who at this point was having a mild meltdown about how to deal with it. He spent almost 5min on his turn trying to look for a way out with the cards he had but didn't have a solution. He settled on hitting the Esper player for 4 infect and using that black card to give counters equal to damage dealt to players. The Esper player kept saying he had an out if he drew what he needed... and missed the necessary land for his Ashen Rider. Then I won during my upkeep and didn't stop gloating as I picked up my stuff to head to class.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 06 Jun 2014, 22:35

So... I saw something wonderful and awful happen. One person had done something I'd done to him the game before. Namely, double cast Extract from Darkness thanks to the conspiracy to get some nuts cards. He was pretty much set to win.

One of the other guys swung in on 'the final turn' with one guy he had left. The winning guy blocked. Second main phase, the guy who attacked revealed a conspiracy to double cast Brimstone Volley. Then he played two Brimstone, making four Brimstones, killing the 'winner' at 20 life.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 08 Jun 2014, 13:00

Today's conspiracy draft had one of the most absurd sequences of events ever.

1) P1 plays Magister of Worth off an EOT FoF. Table ties the vote so it's a board-wipe except the magister
2) P2 (me) and P3 play a new creature each. P3's creature is an Infectious Horror that comes in with haste and a +1/+1 counter, because conspiracies.
3) P4 plays Drakestown Forgotten. Because of the wrath from Magister, it comes down as something like a 16/16
4) P1 plays Reign of the Pit. She sacs Magister, and the rest of us only have one creature apiece. She ends up with a 22/22 flying demon token. At 4 life.

Two turns later I won the game on spirit tokens + Intangible Virtue. Conspiracy is everything I ever dreamed.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 09 Jun 2014, 00:17

I've been going to my FLGS with a new friend, and she helped me with a sick Green Devotion Standard that looked flawless. It was Standard GPT today, and the chain of people I had to play was crazy.

Game one, I went 2-0 against Boros burn...piloted by my ex-wife.

Game two, I went 2-1 against a nice W/G creature deck...piloted by her boyfriend!

Game three, I went 0-2 against another W/G creature deck...piloted by the friend that helped me build the damn thing in the first place! She had gone 3-0 the whole day with hers.

Only 8 people were there, so they did top 4, which I ended up in, Seeds 2 & 3 were paired off, and seeds 1 and 4 were paired. Can you guess what happened here?

Yup! Went 0-2 AGAIN against the friend that I went 0-2 just the round prior.

As Morgan would say: "I'm not gonna lie to you. It's been a weird fucking week."
Credit to Foxmar
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 09 Jun 2014, 16:18

Not to pry, but do you have a good relationship with your ex and her boyfriend? Cause if not, I can imagine those would have been some awkward games.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 09 Jun 2014, 18:33

Well, originally, no. She cheated on me with him for reasons I won't get into on here - needless to say, they were completely stupid - and we hadn't talked for a while. Tried to be friends again later on down the road, but a mutual friend decided to mouth off, and instead of taking their side, I tried to play peacemaker, which I guess they found as an insult. Only recently have we been able to even be cordial with one another. Hadn't seen either one since last August at another Standard event, so...it's been rocky, but at least now, we can say Hi to one another.
Credit to Foxmar

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”