So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Re: So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

Postby Volafortis » 09 Jun 2014, 19:38

Saw reanimator do the funniest thing ever.

So, Reanimator got the nut draw against his opponent, who was on an unknown deck.

So, he went turn one Fetchland, crack the fetch for an underground sea, Dark Ritual, Entomb Griselbrand, Reanimate Griselbrand (losing 8), then he thought for a while, before he paid 7 to draw seven (he wanted a turn one discard spell to use his last mana, and to protect his Griselbrand). His deck was kind enough to give him Thoughtseize. He cast the Thoughtseize and saw his opponent was on a hand of Mountain, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt, and a few other red cards. He conceded on the spot.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 09 Jun 2014, 21:05

I hear that's a common Modern play also:

"Fetchland for Shockland (untapped) to Thoughtseize you. Oh you're playing Affinity? Game 2?"
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 09 Jun 2014, 22:29

I didn't know intentionally bringing yourself down to 2 life was a thing in Modern.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 09 Jun 2014, 22:48

I mean killing yourself (in the Magic sense, which I qualify because that sounded super harsh otherwise). See also, Bob.

Everything is more extreme in Legacy/Vintage, though.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Phosphatide

Postby Phosphatide » 10 Jun 2014, 00:23

I think Bob is a special kind of killing yourself, like the guy that was interviewed in an episode of Walking the Planes who decided that putting Dark Confidant and Blightsteel Colossus in the same deck was worth the risk. But here this guy willfully chose to pay a total of 18 life in one turn for the sake of value or something. That's intense.

I haven't seen as much extreme playing in the Legacy/Vintage tournaments at my LGS, just some extreme misplays. I'm being reminded now of a judge call I got because someone managed to get his opponent's Emrakul into the graveyard, but when his opponent began to shuffle his graveyard into his library he wasn't thinking and also shuffled his own graveyard into his library. Said player was running dredge and had over half his library in the bin, three of those cards being Bridge from Below.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 10 Jun 2014, 05:43

Kind of reminds me of this, only less-successful:

Credit to Foxmar
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 10 Jun 2014, 06:14

Ah Cardboard Crack, my daily giggle in the morning
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 10 Jun 2014, 08:42

To be fair, I once saw someone running Dark Confidant in a deck with a singleton Emrakul. It was some weird Lands/12-post hybrid build. I can only imagine ever hitting that Emrakul, though, even though I know it's a super rare chance of it actually happening, and Bob's actually great when 40+ cards in your deck are lands.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 10 Jun 2014, 15:36

Ugh Bob-ing into a 15-life loss? Only one card could be worse...

Credit to Foxmar
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Jun 2014, 20:08

This jusy happened at my draft.

I go to the counter, grab the play slip go to my assigned table. look at my opponent istting two seats away watching his buddy play and say "John?" he says "yeah, I got a by I think the other john just left. " wait 4 minutes. "John (last name)"

His buddy looks at him and says "John I think thats your game" he replys, no I got a bye, but we can play for fun" I say "sure we can play for fun" he says, but let me watch this game first.

I say "its your choice man, I will just wait at the assigned table. at the 10 minute mark I call JUDGE and say "my opponent failed to show up." judge looks at him and says "John, you have a game loss, you have 5 minutes to show up or im issuing you a match loss"

He comes over and says "I had a bye!" judge says "no you didnt"

so we played the match, I start milling him with constellation
Thassa's Devourer on ... I look at his deck and say "cards left in deck" he says 6 I say "ummm... JUDGE! deck count please" Judge counts deck... 34 cards in deck

Judge says "JOHN ARE YOU F*ING KIDDING ME?"

So there was 1 4-0 and 4 3-1's I ended up in 4th his buddy ends up in 5th with 3-1 and is pissed. I take my two packs.

pack one foil Mana confluence and red dictate. Pack two foil nyx-fleece ram and blue dictate.

His buddy FLIPPED
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Garwulf
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Garwulf » 03 Jul 2014, 10:52

Hi all!

First post, but I've been a fan of LRR ever since discovering them on the Escapist.

This story goes back a long ways. I started playing Magic when I was in high school, back around 1993 or '94. This was during Revised, so Sol Rings and Demonic Tutors were active cards (in fact, you were an idiot back then if you didn't run them in your deck), and the Power Nine had only been cycled out the previous year, so you saw them hit the table fairly regularly (yes, I've seen Moxen and Black Lotuses in play on the gaming table at the local comic shop - I even briefly owned an Unlimited Mox as a prize for a tournament I ran).

Now, there was a small community of us at the school, but during lunches what we would do was sit down in the cafeteria and play a melee, usually with at least five, and sometimes up to eight or nine players. So, one day, we sat down to play, and I am not making up what follows.

As I lay down my land, tapped, and brought out cards, I started humming the theme song to "I Dream of Jeannie." I passed turn and stopped humming, and the next player picked up the tune right where I left off. He finished his turn, and both turn and song passed to the next player. And then it happened again, and again. I kid you not - the song went around the table at least TWICE before we suddenly stopped and realized what we were doing.

There was a stunned silence and then one of us said, "Well, THAT was weird."

I've never seen the like of it since.

Best regards to all,

Robert Marks

PS: Sadly, around 1995-1996, I drifted away from the game, mainly because of university keeping me busy. I only came back last year.
Author, Editor, Publisher, and Researcher
Read Garwulf's Corner, on Medium: https://medium.com/tag/garwulfs-corner/archive

...and please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RobertBMarks
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 04 Jul 2014, 06:12

So, a bunch of us decided we were getting bored with JBT draft, and decided to do Conspiracy instead of playing in FNM tonight. I was in red/black Vent Sentinel, but ended up cutting the black entirely and going mono-red.

Never managed to go off with Vent Sentinel even with all of that... over the course of two games, I think I did a total of 3 damage with Vent Sentinel. I'm beginning to think that it's not really a deck in Conspiracy like it was in ROE. On the other hand, thanks to a bunch of political maneuvering, I managed to cast both of those Fact or Fictions, and they just read "draw 5 cards".

I came very close to winning the game... one guy had Terrastodon, which another player enchanted with both Vow of Duty, and the thing that gives it pro-creatures... so he was steadily going through and eliminating players. I used Wrap in Flames to stop his giant pro-creatures guy from blocking, and attacked with what should have been enough to knock him down, with Brimstone Volley in hand... but he had some instant Wolf token card, had an extra blocker, and only went to 7... Brimstone brought him to 2, but then he killed me on his next turn. If he didn't have that card, or chose to attack someone else, then I could have easily knocked him out and held off the other players for the eventual win. As it is, I ended up dieing 4th out of the 7 of us. Still, a lot of fun was had.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 05 Jul 2014, 03:58

Vent Sentinel can absolutely be a deck in Conspiracy, I won with it. The main thing is that it's a deck that wins by being the least threatening deck on the board...until it isn't. Also by high-picking every Power of Fire that went past.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Phosphatide

Postby Phosphatide » 17 Jul 2014, 15:34

As one of the handful of Steam users who actually got DotP 2015 to run properly, I'm having quite a lot of silly fun with this game.

Specifically with Spider Spawning.

What you see here is an attempt by two enemy Palace Guards (can block any number of creatures) to block about 50 of my creatures, 43 of which are spiders. Also Griselbrand is in there somewhere.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 Jul 2014, 19:18

I was in heavy red, splash blue, I opened Avycin, so I thought "maybe I drop blue" I got passed the sphinx... so I put her in.

Match three game 2 I was up a game, I attacked with the sphinx, opponent had no flyers and took 4. I held up the card, he said "ummm below 5" I dropped Avycin on the table. He high fived me and scooped.

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
JamesTheNecroMage
First Video: LRRCast

Postby JamesTheNecroMage » 26 Jul 2014, 10:52

My friends and I were playing a casual game of Magic, I played a U/R deck and my girlfriend played her normal Black Devotion deck she lovingly calls "All hail Liliana". That is because of the single "Liliana of the Veil" she has. So we draw our opening hands, I mulligan down to six due to the fact of having 1 Swamp and 6 spells. My girlfriend giggled like a mad woman as she kept her hand and plays a Swamp first turn. Long story short, she told me she totally forgot she had another Liliana in her deck and she proceeds to whip me and my Chandra Ablaze to pieces. I had to laugh at that myself
phlip

Postby phlip » 01 Aug 2014, 04:58

Never Concede story from FNM:

To set the scene: I'm at 9, my opponent's at 20. I have assorted ground durdles and a couple of small fliers, my opponent has a Gargoyle Sentinel, and... a Soul of Ravnica enchanted with Invisibility. They attack, I chump the Gargoyle and go to 3.

I think through my deck, try to figure out my outs... I don't have any removal left, having use my only Flesh to Dust the turn before the Soul came down. All I can think of is Peel from Reality and Frost Lynx... neither of which would be amazing, but would give me another couple of turns before I lose.

I draw for turn, and miss. I think the game is pretty much over, am joking with the people around me that my one out is to activate Jalira, Master Polymorphist, and hit my one-of Frost Lynx.

My opponent's upkeep, I go for it... And somehow hit. Their Soul is tapped down for two turns. Not enough for me to win, but it's a reprieve. They attack with Gargoyle, and I chump with my last flier.

My turn, I draw Divination, into land and Peel from Reality. Suddenly I see light at the end of the tunnel. I can attack, gain some life with Murk Lurker, take another hit from the Gargoyle, attack again, gain more life, bounce Frost Lynx and Soul, replay Frost Lynx when they replay the Soul, keep attacking and gaining life... And my opponent draws nothing of relevance, and I manage to win.

And that is my lesson for today in playing to your outs...

[he/him/his]
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 03 Aug 2014, 19:14

Played an M15 swiss earlier. Won round 1 with my BW kill fliers / win with fliers deck. In round 2, game one, I play out my little aggro and he drops a mind sculpt.

My thought process: "Ah! Haha! Mind sculpt! Wow, that's a silly...wait, I won round 1. He won round 1 too. Uh-oh"

The game was close. After his next two (!) mind sculpts went through, I had down trip spirits and a razorfoot, drew into Sanctified Charge for the kill after he whiffed off of Act on Impulse. Noting that he was digging for YET MORE MIND SCULPTS I went up to 50 cards for game 2.

Game 2 I get mana screwed and he aggros me out with a surprising combination of burn and blue aggro. I actually managed to stabilize until he found answers...by using Aggressive Mining. By the end I'm wondering if he just didn't cast the mind sculpts or if he actually took them out, but I decide that either way staying with 50 was safer.

Game 3 I win on Triplicate Spirits and killing off his air defense, finally sneaking through an intimidate black critter for the win, since he had tapped out and couldn't active his goblin kaboomist mines. Did I mention he dropped Goblin Kaboomist on 2 all three games?

He told me that his whole game plan was to scare me with six mind sculpts in game 1 so I would go up to 50, then aggro me out in 2 and 3. It very nearly worked. I was a little sad to beat him, but it was an absolutely stunning match and well worth the price of admission.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 03 Aug 2014, 21:10

Scare with the mill strat on Game 1, make the opponent increase deck size for protection, then aggro them out in Games 2 & 3.

That's fucking GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!11
Credit to Foxmar
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 05 Aug 2014, 06:47

Maybe this wont be funny to everyone but there was a guy at the LGS who was looking to make a turn 0 deck.

He was asking what 0 mana colorless cards there were. Someone suggested Darksteel Citadel, so he wrote that down.

Then someone said "isnt there a indestructible colorless land in M15?" he wrote it down.
so as a lark someone said I think there is a colorless land in Mirrodin block, I think it was in the second set. he wrote that down.
I said I dont remember what block it was in, but Im pretty sure that John Avon did the art for a indestructible land recently I dont know what color it was. he wrote it down.

then said "holy cow there are a lot of more lands than I thought there were, this deck is going to be sick!"

[–]Graham_LRR
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 05 Aug 2014, 07:54

That reminds me of the most recent LR episode on team limited, where Brian Wong was describing a team draft. A player was about to go for a huge Sphinx's Revelation, but didn't want to walk into a Force Spike (U for an instant, counter spell unless they pay 1 colorless). He asked his teammates if they had passed one, and they said no.

He played his Rev, and got blown out by Mana Tithe (the white colorshifted version of Force Spike from Planar Chaos).

He glared accusingly at his teammate, who sheepishly admitted to passing the Tithe, but not Force Spike.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 19 Sep 2014, 13:09

Well, I just came first for the second timein my four plus years of playing Magic, and it was glorious.

Game 3, match 3. I open with 5 land, meteorite and Brawler's plate. I show my opp, the head judeg, after he mulls saying his hand was terrible. He keeps his next and gets hammered in about 6-7 turns due to my drawing Kinsbale skirmisher, hunt the week and a Geist of the moors.
phlip

Postby phlip » 20 Sep 2014, 07:40

So, so far this weekend, I've picked Jeskai for my clan, built a pretty nice Jeskai aggro fliers/tempo deck, and went 3-1, losing in the last round. Then in the next prerelease, I picked Mardu for my clan, then built a sweet Jeskai aggro fliers/tempo deck, and went 4-0.

Thus mathematically proving that if you build for a clan that you didn't choose for your seeded pack, you will have better results.

[edit]
Final results:
Pick Jeskai, build Jeskai, 3-1
Pick Mardu, build Jeskai, 4-0
Pick Sultai, build Azban, 3-1
Pick Azban, build Azban, 3-1
Pick Temur, build Temur, 3-1
Total: 16-4. Continuing my streak that for every prerelease since Theros of having fewer match losses than events entered... except M15, but that sealed format was miserable. My hoard: two Bloodstained Mires (both in the last prerelease box), one Sorin (a significant reason why I ran Abzan from my Sultai box), and probably some other cards that are worth money (I haven't looked at the full list), and 32 unopened boosters (2 per round win). I'll probably do my usual ritual of putting the boosters on my shelf, pretend I'm ever going to draft with them, come to the realisation once again that everyone in my local community are savages that open all their prize boosters immediately and anyway I don't have time to draft during the week, and just tear them all open in a couple of weeks. As has been my pattern every prerelease for the last couple years.
Last edited by phlip on 21 Sep 2014, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.

[he/him/his]
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Sep 2014, 12:46

I went Justaguy too and played a nice Mardu deck too and went 4-1. I also won a raffle for one pack of everything in standard as of next friday. Theros-Kahns.

Your math is sound.

[–]Graham_LRR
ThyLordQ
First Video: How to talk like a pirate

Postby ThyLordQ » 22 Sep 2014, 10:51

Playing Mardu at my second LGS pre-release, after picking Sultai (Darn you poor mana base!), and my opponent has a morph and a two-drop on the other side of the field. I have two creatures, and 5 mana. I play Zurgo Helmsmasher, and swing. He blocks the other two creatures, trading the two-drop, and bouncing the morph off my Jeskai Student.

Then he taps a red and white mana.
Deflecting Palm.
I take seven.

His turn, he flips up Jeering Instigator, and takes Zurgo.
I take nine.

Back to my turn, I attack all out again, he blocks Zurgo with the Jeering Instigator, and takes 1. I play my land for the turn.

His turn, Mardu Charms Zurgo, and proceeds to kill my Jeskai Student with something else.

He's at 10, I'm at 1.

I play Bloodfire Expert. Pass the turn. He plays a Morph, and passes back to me.

I draw, 8 mana open. I kill his morph with my Debilitating Injury. Swing with the Bloodfire Expert for 4.
He plays Mardu Charm, summoning two 1/1 Warriors with First Strike.

I play Flying Crane Technique off of the Sultai Tri-land I got. Hit him for exactly lethal.

We both agreed that that game went better than the actual match, where my opponent got mana screwed both times.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”