So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Garbonzo42
First Video: Ransom

Re: So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

Postby Garbonzo42 » 22 Sep 2014, 18:46

Not an actual magic play, but magic related...

Super bummed out at the last prerelease at my LSG, went 3-3 after making a super greedy, ultra boneheaded punt play in game three of an otherwise close match, I'm just hanging out near the registers waiting for them to announce the final standings, prizes and the grand finale of the whole fiasco: the raffle of a box of Khans, to be available on release day.

So, one of the cashiers is standing there, shuffling the tickets in the big bowl, and randomly pulling tickets and throwing them back when he looks up at me and says "Heh, I just pulled your name twice in a row, weird right?"

I just freeze up. "...But that's not the real draw though."

"Nah, we have to wait for the round to finish (10 mins away at that point) for that."

So now I'm double devastated, after blowing myself out of the prizes for the event, and now not having any real chance of getting the box, I'm just doing a zombie impression in the game room, waiting for time to be called.

I ended up being the third to last person to place for prizes, 19th, so I got a single pack. I'm grabbing my crap to go when they announce the raffle.

I WON A BOX OF KHANS, BABY :D
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 08 Oct 2014, 20:45

Had my second ever draft the other day, and ended up mostly Mardu. In the first two rounds, I was absolutely dead on board while I had Deflecting Palm. First time I played it, my opponent was already figuring on my targeting his biggest monster (5/6, iirc), but I named Squirrel tokens, which was the difference between -17 and -22. Between rounds I was told it could only target cards on the field, so when the exact same situation came up in round 2, I named my opponent's Mountain. Ended up -2 rather than 0.

I like confusing people.
Therberus
First Video: LRR on the escapist

Postby Therberus » 18 Oct 2014, 00:09

Had my first ever FNM draft last night, went 2-1 (pretty pleased by that) and managed to get the black red fetch land as prize !

But anyways my real story was what happened in game 2 round 1.

Turn 1 Swamp, Disowned Ancestor.
Turn 2 Forest, Kin-Tree Invocation -> 4/4 on board turn 2.
(My opponent starts to tilt)
Turn 3 Plains, Anafenza...
My opponent snap concedes :)

I felt really REALLY dirty about it ^^
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Oct 2014, 05:10

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 20 Oct 2014, 04:59

Here's a story from game day. I was playing a kind of Jeskai/blue flyers deck (with which I went 2-1 in two rounds and 0-2 in two rounds) and my opponent was playing a black/white deck with a lot of deathtouch in it. I'd already won the round, we had time to spare, so we played a friendly match.

My opponent played the Whip of Erebos, giving all his creatures lifelink. I copied it with Clever Manipulator, giving all my creatures lifelink. The rest of the game saw our life totals bounce back and forth from turn to turn, with neither of us able to gain advantage ... until he played Erebos, turning off my copied Whip, and after that it was all downhill for me. Definitely one of the most hilariously strange games I've played.
It's fish in a tin!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 20 Oct 2014, 16:24

So my opponent is on 14 life and has a Salt Road Patrol and a Riverwheel Aerialists. I have 3 morphs and a Jeskai Student. I flip over one of my morphs, which is a Jeering Instigator, take his Riverwheel Aerialists and attack. Before blocks, I cast Flying Crane Technique.

I see my opponent tapping mana. Is this some counterspell? Deflecting Palm?

Nope, it's a Trumpet Blast. I appreciate your good humour, sir.

RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 01 Nov 2014, 04:26

So I went to a modern event, and while I didn't do anything stupid funny, I find it hilarious that I beat a complete Affinity deck with a crappy infect deck I threw together a couple hours before the event.
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 02 Nov 2014, 07:58

Duckay wrote:So my opponent is on 14 life and has a Salt Road Patrol and a Riverwheel Aerialists. I have 3 morphs and a Jeskai Student. I flip over one of my morphs, which is a Jeering Instigator, take his Riverwheel Aerialists and attack. Before blocks, I cast Flying Crane Technique.

I see my opponent tapping mana. Is this some counterspell? Deflecting Palm?

Nope, it's a Trumpet Blast. I appreciate your good humour, sir.

I've done that a couple of times, mostly at the prerelease. Strictly funnier than "tap out, concede".
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Nov 2014, 15:06

Last night at my IRL draft, I was 2-0-1 in the final round. 1-1 in round im at 9 my opponent is at 1.

I had a Efreet Weaponmaster face up and a Monastery Flock morphed on the table a my opponent had a Dazzling Ramparts and a 7/7 spirit warrior.

I drew Ghostfire Blade equipped to the flock, moved to attack step, declared attackers attacked with both, then before blockers unmorphed making it a 2/7 flyer, which he couldnt block.

Judge called, board state explained, judge said "you tapped before morphing?" I confirmed. He said "yep, defender says nothing about combat, only that it cant be declared as a attacker, he flys, you dies"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 13 Nov 2014, 15:16

A funny little story from last Friday. Only one other person showed up to FNM, so we just decided to play Commander instead. The employ of the store joined in after a couple matches of me beating my opponant's mill deck senseless with turn 3 Haste Krenko. He ran his usual Kaervek deck and managed to mill out the mill deck with a Destroy the Evidence for over 300 land. Safe to say i couldn't stop laughing for 10 or so minutes
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 13 Nov 2014, 21:47

RadioshackRaider wrote:A funny little story from last Friday. Only one other person showed up to FNM, so we just decided to play Commander instead. The employ of the store joined in after a couple matches of me beating my opponant's mill deck senseless with turn 3 Haste Krenko. He ran his usual Kaervek deck and managed to mill out the mill deck with a Destroy the Evidence for over 300 land. Safe to say i couldn't stop laughing for 10 or so minutes

I'm confused here - Destroy the Evidence blows up one land and then that land's controller reveals cards from their library until they reveal a land, then all those cards go into the graveyard, so I can certainly see that card milling somebody out (if they were already very low on cards or really bad at shuffling), but you said he did it with a Destroy the Evidence for "over 300 land". That doesn't actually make any sense as you've described it, since even if you "could" cast that spell 300 times (thus making them mill until they've revealed 300 lands), you'd need 300 lands to target in the first place; the most lands that could possibly* be in play in a 3-person game of Commander would be 297, and that's assuming all 3 players have decks comprised of 99 lands + their commanders, and it's turn 99. Which is ridiculous.

Did you mean some other card entirely? I want your amusing story to make sense so that I can chuckle but right now it just makes my brain hurt trying to figure out what you could have possibly meant by "over 300 lands" in conjunction with Destroy the Evidence.

*Technically there are ways to get more lands on the table than you (or the other players) have in your decks, like repeatedly bouncing and cloning a dryad arbor to make token land creatures, but that seems vanishingly unlikely.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 13 Nov 2014, 22:12

They may have confused Destroy the Evidence with Mind Grind, but the colours are wrong, so I'm not sure.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 14 Nov 2014, 08:08

I thought it was Destroy the evidence. What's the one that grinds for a creature's P/T? the Mill Player done some shenanigans to double it's P/T and we were all pretty milled out.
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 14 Nov 2014, 12:41

Root potato
First Video: Friday nights

Postby Root potato » 23 Nov 2014, 21:15

So, bought the black 2014 commander deck, added to it, and played my first real game with it today,

Made 5 other people concede due to the sheer time spent calculating mana, creatures, and card draw and discard.

I got a laugh out of it.
steric hindrance

Postby steric hindrance » 25 Nov 2014, 18:35

I participated in a Conspiracy draft this evening. Best day of Magic in my life. I ended up Junding 'em out as well as forcing Storm.

Someone cracked a Lore Seeker P1P1 and got Scourge from the random box that our store owner has for such occasions. When the pack got to me, I selected Temporal Fissure (4U for a sorcery, return target permanent to its owner's hand with Storm). During the rest of the draft, I managed to pick up three Mana Geysers, Unexpected Potential, and Double Stroke.

Jund turned out to be very open (I drafted two Deathreap Ritual and two Brimstone Volley) and I ended up with lots of value (Sakura-Tribe Elder, Wakedancer, Boldwyr Intimidator, etc).

I managed to go off with Storm = 9, generating twenty mana with three Geysers and returning ten permanents, swinging for lethal against one of my opponents. I ended up decking myself against the last player, who had the removal (and the Respite) to stop my ground forces. I think this still means I can retire Conspiracy champion, though.
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 29 Nov 2014, 19:28

After burning the midnight oil at work I overslept for my A:NR tournament today. But I had discussed some trades with a friend and went to my FLGS anyway. Since I mainly play limited and he was up for it we decided to do a sealed and just went for a nice mix of recent sets, basically Theors block+RTR block minus dragons maze + Khans.
And I just got flooded with mythics. Jace, Domri, Rakdos, Hythonia (Radkos and Hythonia are foil), but didn't get any fixing apart from a travelers amulett and only had few playable commons and uncommons, somewhat evenly spread among colors. In the end I played 19 lands and the amulet staying Jund (getting Domri and Rakdos in the deck), lost game one to a consistent solid Mardu deck and then... I managed to get Servant of Tymaret on board on turn 3 in game 2 and rode his inspired trigger to victory. I never drew a bomb, much less played it. Just the slow repeated block, regenerate, drain for 1...
So in game 3, I put down the Servant on turn 3 again and say: "Watch out for that 20 turn clock". Never drew my bombs. Never dealt combat damage. 20 inspired triggers later...

One of these games that had everybody simultaneously laughing and shaking their heads.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Dec 2014, 23:55

On Mtgo there were bots selling KTK booster for 2.74 and other bots buying them for 2.99 I made just over 30 tickets in 8 minutes before the prices adjusted.

[–]Graham_LRR
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 08 Dec 2014, 18:18

So, here's a story from GP NJ. I sign up for a Commander pod. It's $5. Winner gets 2 packs and everyone has a pack to give to the player who did their favorite thing after the game.

So, I'm paired up with a mono-blue Thassa control, an Omnath ramp deck, and... an Atogatog deck. I'm playing my mono-black Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath. Game goes slowly. Atogatog guy is mostly just casting stuff to reduce the cost of his things. Everyone else is just durdling a bit, although I got out my general and a few dudes.

Then comes turn 6. Atogatog dude plays Null Profusion, starts casting free things to cycle through his deck and gives a little "Oh, by the way, I'm a storm deck." You know a bit of what comes next: everyone checks their phone while combo guy plays by himself and goes off. And somehow, he's complaining about not finding his kill cards. Emphasis on cards, as I helpfully pointed out to him how large of a storm count he would need to kill us with just one Tendrils or one Brain Freeze or one Grapeshot. (HINT: It's a lot.) Eventually, he casts Mind's Desire, and everyone at the table wants to scoop, except for me. I ask a few questions:

Me: "What's the storm count?"
Atogstorm guy: "26"
Me: "How many cards in your library before the Mind's Desire copies resolve?"
Atogstorm guy: "23"
Me: "You are aware that Null Profusion isn't a 'may' ability, right? So... you just milled yourself out. You can't cast anything, even off of Mind's Desire, or you lose from drawing an empty deck."

Combo player gone, and the rest of us continue on through a normal EDH game. He still got all the packs from making the favorite play of the game, though, so he probably ended up winning more in the long haul.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
korvys

Postby korvys » 08 Dec 2014, 18:30

Haha, awesome. I love stories where people accidentally kill themselves.

If he had instants in his deck, he might have been able to kill someone, though. He could cast an instant (from his hand, or from a resolved Mind's Desire copy) in the middle of resolving all the Mind's Desire copies (it is, after all, not 1 Mind's Desire for 26 cards, it's 26 Mind's Desires for 1 card each), triggering Null Profusion and drawing a card, but since he hasn't exiled all his cards yet, this would just mean one more copy of MD wouldn't do anything. Brain Freeze is an instant, for example.

keybase.io
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 08 Dec 2014, 18:50

So, I got a bit bored and a bit silly, and somehow, this happened.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 08 Dec 2014, 19:13

korvys wrote:Haha, awesome. I love stories where people accidentally kill themselves.

If he had instants in his deck, he might have been able to kill someone, though. He could cast an instant (from his hand, or from a resolved Mind's Desire copy) in the middle of resolving all the Mind's Desire copies (it is, after all, not 1 Mind's Desire for 26 cards, it's 26 Mind's Desires for 1 card each), triggering Null Profusion and drawing a card, but since he hasn't exiled all his cards yet, this would just mean one more copy of MD wouldn't do anything. Brain Freeze is an instant, for example.

Sorcery-speed storm cards are also an out, sorta... you cast your storm card, Null Profusion and storm both trigger, and you stack them so that Storm resolves first... so then the stack is 26 copies of Tendrils, a lethal draw, and the original Tendrils card. If the copies are enough to win, then you're golden...

It has to be enough to win on its own, though, and you can't even do your trick of Brain Freeze to mill out one player while Mind's Desire copies are still resolving, and then Tendrils another player afterward... you need to win outright off possibly some number of instants as the Mind's Desire does its thing, and then one single storm sorcery at the end.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
steric hindrance

Postby steric hindrance » 08 Dec 2014, 20:33

Actually, the Storm player wouldn't have milled himself out, as Null Profusion says when you "play a card," and copies of a spell won't trigger it.

Gatherer wrote:The triggered ability will trigger when you play a land card or cast a nonland card as a spell. It won't trigger when you play a copy of a card, such as with Isochron Scepter.
korvys

Postby korvys » 08 Dec 2014, 20:37

No, the storm copies won't mill him, but playing any of the cards exiled with Mind's Desire would. And assuming all the copies resolved, he's just exiled his whole library.

keybase.io
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 09 Dec 2014, 14:06

So, turns out Storm Herd/Dark Prophecy is a bit of a nonbo. That's all I'll say.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”