So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Re: So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

Postby ZePancakes » 14 Jul 2013, 06:24

Storm Herd for 32, then Nomad Assembly for 37. Very mad beats.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 16 Jul 2013, 15:24

Played possibility storm in 3 man free for all. Hilarity ensued.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Jul 2013, 12:10

I've got a Commander deck based off of Possibility Storm and Jhoira. It's called "Always Possibilities." Jhoira alone gets me a bunch of cards at cheaper costs, at the expense of 4 turns (but that's helped by Fury Charm, Rift Elemental, and other things that mess with time counters being in the deck, too). However, if and when I get Possibility Storm out, it's hilarious. I use Jhoira on what I want to cast, and pitch everything else to Possibility Storm for the chance at something better. Meanwhile, all of the good stuff my opponents have been saving/drawing is now next to useless. :D
(The rest of the deck is filled with instants, sorceries, and creatures that like instants or sorceries, like Guttersnipe, Nivix Cyclops, Blistercoil Weird, etc.)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 17 Jul 2013, 17:46

Oh wow, Blistercoil Weird and Possibility Storm... I hadn't thought of that, nice.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 17 Jul 2013, 20:12

Remember to put a Paradise Mantle on him too.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
phlip

Postby phlip » 19 Jul 2013, 02:56

Doing an MMA draft at PAX, the TO is swamped setting up 10 other drafts, and doesn't have time to do pairings (and no prizes), just tells us to play amongst ourselves as we see fit. And we were lazy.

So we did the obvious thing: played across the draft table as a big 4-headed-giant game. It was a bit nuts. It was a mess keeping track of the turn progress, and my deck was pretty bad (I'd drafted UG big suspend dudes, which is ok 1v1, but pretty bad when you have 4 opponents all bringing out potential chump-blockers, or 4 draws to get enough burn to take out a 5/5). Also, all the decks that had drafted burn were on the same side of the table...

All in all, it was fun, but not something I'm looking to do again any time soon.

[he/him/his]
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 27 Jul 2013, 21:20

So this happened during an M14 Prerelease Draft I did, I call it "Eggs Meet Basket"...

That is an Awaken the Ancient with both Mark of the Vampire and Lightning Talons which ended the game with me at 85 life after it turned into basically a huge 1-sided The Abyss that was gaining me 12 life a turn. Funny thing is this wasn't even what really won me the game as he had plenty of chump blocks for it, it was the 3/4 Intimidate and a Dragon Hatchling that my opponent couldn't block.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 01 Aug 2013, 09:43

Playing Phantom sealed, in the third round. I beat my opponent rather handily with a 40-card Rakdos deck I had managed to put together, but he comes back in the second game with an Aetherling, which I kill immediately. On his next turn, he plays out an Aetherling, and just smacks me upside the head with it for 3 turns until I concede. Looking in my pool for ANYTHING that can help me against two Aetherlings, I come across... Slaughter Games.

On Turn 4, I draw Slaughter Games, play a land, cast it, naming Aetherling... No more Aetherlings. :D

Later he plays his Lord of the Void, I swing in with a 3/3, which he decides can't possibly kill it, and blocks. Scorchwalker let him know just how wrong he was.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Aug 2013, 11:30

Azor's Elecutionors

Upkeep +1 counter

Top deck Vorel of the hull clade Giggle uncontrollably
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 01 Aug 2013, 15:03

Nice XD

Just got a 14th pick Messenger Drake. Weird.
phlip

Postby phlip » 02 Aug 2013, 03:58

Just 3-0'd FNM with a big slivers deck... possibly one of the best decks I've ever drafted. 1 2

Round 2 Game 2 was fun... I was playing against the person who was sitting to my left at the draft table, I know we each had 3 shocks, and an assortment of other removal. Both of us kept a removal-heavy hand, and the early turns went:
Me: Sliver. Him: Shock.
Me: Sliver. Him: Shock.
Him: Shade. Me: Shock.
Him: Shade. Me: Shock.
Several turns pass.
Me: Shortcutter. Him: Shock.
Him: Lifebane Zombie. Me: Flames of the Firebrand.
This interspersed with a lot of draw-go over the course of about 10 turns each, both hoping to draw threats. At this point I still have Volcanic Geyser, but he's out of answers. I manage to draw 2 Battle Slivers in a row, giving me a pair of 7/3s (and actually managing to get in for 7 damage), before he plays Pitchburn Devils, essentially stopping me from attacking with both lest I get 2-for-1ed. And then Chandra's Outrages one of my Battle Slivers. I eventually manage to grind out a win, eventually burning him out with the Geyser that was in my opening hand.

[he/him/his]
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 02 Aug 2013, 19:57

So I just had something happen that made me happy.

It was my last game of the night. I was 2-2 already, so well out of prizes. I was playing a blue/white/black control deck. After the first game (where I just punched him to death with two frontline medics and a elf), I sideboarded in my three control-hate cards. Two Savage Summonings and my one-of sideboard surprise. So the second game goes on for a while. He keeps killing my dudes. Eventually, I get him down to nine. He has a lot of mana open and had been hitting me with a resto (I'd been hitting him with a firemane). I have a cavern in hand, waiting for the right thing to use it for. So I draw...

And there's the one Ruric Thar I'd put into my deck.

I can't help put smile. I know he has a syncopate in hand, but it doesn't matter. Cavern naming Ogre, Ruric Thar. He tries to think a bunch of times to find an answer... but there is none. I bring him down to 6 with my Firemane.

I pass the turn. He draws, and then does the following:

"I play Surpreme Verdict. In response to that, I Sphinx's Revelation for 0. In response to that, I Azorious Charm to draw a card."

I sit there for a moment, unsure of what just happened. It takes me a moment to realize he'd just hit himself for 18 with my guy. Good times.

Related: I need to put another Ruric or two in my sideboard.
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 08 Aug 2013, 17:21

I suppose it might not be as funny to everyone else, but... I drafted last night at my LGS, didn't do well enough to be in prizes but I did bring my trade binder with me and traded a Lifebane Zombie to the first-place winner for two of his packs. Pulled a Garruk from one of them. He griped about it to literally everyone in the store over the next half-hour.

I always trust in my Magic karma. It always pays off.
brb, assaulting children.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Sep 2013, 22:56

I was playing my Simic deck Friday night. It wasn't doing too hot. But I was having some fun with it. I know my opponent is playing Kelonia Hydra and Archangel of Thune. My turn four, I play a land, play a creature, and evolve some guys (including a Gyre Sage). He turn fives. And I try to hold back my excitement. He's at five mana. He's playing Kalonia Hydra, a card I can't afford and don't even have one of...

...But what I do have is three mainboard Progenitor Mimics. One of which is in my hand. He plays down his Kalonia Hydra. I laugh and thank him. It was kind of douche-y, and I apologized shortly after. But I enjoyed the moment as the next turn, I tapped five lands and a gyre sage for my Progenitor Mimic, copying his Hydra. He attacked next turn, I ate his hydra with some of his guys, and ended up attacking with two hydras for the win.

He ended up winning I think, so I don't feel too bad about being a bit douche-like. But it made me feel good. That same night, I Progenitor Mimic'd Master Biomancer multiple times, one of which I had an Ooze Flux out. And thanks to that Ooze Flux, it because "1G, Remove One +1/+1 counter: Put a 33/33 Ooze Token onto the battlefield under your control."
Majicou83
First Video: MTGO Draft Thing

Postby Majicou83 » 22 Sep 2013, 03:06

May or may not have swung into a Reckoner with a 57/57 Serra Avatar the first time playing my Naya lifegain deck. O.o
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Sep 2013, 09:08

I was up against a black blue deck that kept bouncing and returning stuff to putting out tokens against my two beefy 8/8 10/10 life linkers. So I would attack, she would chump, I would go up life and so on. Now in reality the game was sort of close because I only dealt 20 damage to her, and the game wasnt a blow out by any stretch but any time she would top deck a big creature, or a death touch, I would top deck a response.

Her "Sweet, I cast this"
Me: "I swing with both"
Her: "I block and pay monsterous"
Me: "divine verdict"
Her: "I hate you"

so at the end her friend comes up and says "how did it go"
she says "I lost 2-0 but they were good games"
friend "so they were close?"
Her: "I dont know do you consider 84 to -2 close?"
ME: "it was over 100, I didn't write down my final life link"(which I only said because we were joking about it)
her friend "well 84 sure thats close but once you cross 100"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 22 Sep 2013, 10:51

on DotP 13 I think I once managed to get over 200... I think I had out that card that doubled your health whenever it did damage to the opponent.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 22 Sep 2013, 11:05

iamafish wrote:on DotP 13 I think I once managed to get over 200... I think I had out that card that doubled your health whenever it did damage to the opponent.

Last night I was playing the new Elf deck in Magic 2014, and I had the elves that give you life for the number of elves you control, the elves that put +1/+1 counters for each elf I control, the elves whose power and toughness are equal to the elves I control, and the elf that makes all my forests elves.

I decided to see how far I could take it, and ended that game with over 2000 life, and a >1000/>1000 trample elf.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 22 Sep 2013, 11:42

oh my god so many fucking elves...
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 22 Sep 2013, 15:28

At the prerelease, the only person I won against was the one who opened gods in their sealed box. I actually exiled both of them almost immediately.
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 10 Oct 2013, 09:04

This weekend I decided to trade Chandra Pyromaster for Jace Architect of thought at my LGS. They told me that they technically still owed me around $3 but I had miss heard them and thought I still owed them a bit more for the Jace. While I was looking through my binder for something to make up the difference I guess the guy standing beside me took this as an opportunity, and put a scry land on the counter and told them to put it on that. They said they still owe around $1 so he added a pack of sleeves to the pile. I look up from my binder as the trade happens, and then the guy walks out of the store. It slowly creeps up on me that I just bought a stranger a scry land and some sleeves.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 10 Oct 2013, 21:30

guidance wrote:This weekend I decided to trade Chandra Pyromaster for Jace Architect of thought at my LGS. They told me that they technically still owed me around $3 but I had miss heard them and thought I still owed them a bit more for the Jace. While I was looking through my binder for something to make up the difference I guess the guy standing beside me took this as an opportunity, and put a scry land on the counter and told them to put it on that. They said they still owe around $1 so he added a pack of sleeves to the pile. I look up from my binder as the trade happens, and then the guy walks out of the store. It slowly creeps up on me that I just bought a stranger a scry land and some sleeves.

Now that's just devious and wrong.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 12 Oct 2013, 18:15

I mean if he had asked first I probably would have been ok with it, cause I like helping people, and really didn't have anything else I was looking for.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 14 Oct 2013, 19:59

guidance wrote:I mean if he had asked first I probably would have been ok with it, cause I like helping people, and really didn't have anything else I was looking for.

But the key part of that is "if he had asked first".
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 16 Oct 2013, 20:27

This might seem a bit of a no-shit moment for some more experienced players, but I want to talk about a really cool moment from my one and only Modern Masters draft not too long ago.

I had no idea what the hell was going on in MMA, to be honest, so I'm certain I passed a LOT of straight cash to go B/R goblin tribal. But hey, tribal is something I understand and I ended up 2-0-1 with it, so whatevs.

In the second round, I went up against Esper control. Rough, right? Except when I managed to use Earwig Squad's Prowl ability (2B, when he enters the battlefield, search your opponent's deck for three cards and exile them) to get rid of his win conditions (which were Elspeth, and...two other things that weren't Elspeth) so we got a stuck in a stalled board in game two. I decided to go for broke and just attack with all of my creatures, because I was bored, he was bored, and we were almost out of time.

What followed was a really absurd combat phase, chock full of tricks and bluffs and doodads and gewgaws. Four spells and three dead creatures later, we reach my second main phase. I was just about to ship the turn back and die on the crackback when I glanced at the Empty the Warrens in my hand. Turns out I'd never read the Storm ability particularly closely, and assumed it only counted spells that I had cast. Incorrect! Wide-eyed and stunned, I cast my Empty the Warrens for eight Goblins, setting me up a perfect next turn for me to go on and win the game!

Maybe that's a herp derp moment for a lot of other players, but hey, it was fun for me.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”