So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Mar 2013, 18:41

So win or lose what are your amusing stories about things that happened in magic, either directly in the game, real things that happened while/because you were playing or funny things you saw. Please try to avoid "I heard about one time when..."
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lord Hosk

Re: So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Mar 2013, 19:00

I was playing two headed giant against a team one of whom was super life gain and the other was white weeny.

one guy had Ajani, Caller of the Pride and Cathars crusade out. They had 121 life when he ultimated.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 20 Mar 2013, 19:30

Once, I learned a very important lesson about why two decks that rely heavily on instants and sorceries should just not even bother continuing to play once the fourth copy of Curse of Echoes hits the table.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 20 Mar 2013, 22:24

I was playing against a Sneak and Show deck on about 2 hours of sleep. I won the first game, and this was game 2. I had already countered and Surgical Extraction'd out all of his Show and Tells, so his only way to win was Sneak Attack.

My hand when he casts Sneak Attack is Force of Will, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Snapcaster Mage, and a few other cards. I use the Force of Will, pitching Jace to counter the Sneak Attack. He Spell Pierces the Force of Will, but I have 3 mana open.

However, rather than just paying the 2 mana, I for whatever reason thought he had used Red Elemental Blast, so I use Snapcaster Mage to flashback Brainstorm, fail to find the Force of Will or Daze that I was looking for (that I didn't need to look for). I proceed to lose game 2 to his resolved Sneak Attack. (I still win the match, fortunately)

The worst part is, if I had played correctly, I still had the Surgical Extraction in the graveyard to flashback on his Sneak Attack with Snapcaster Mage on my turn to win the game.

Literally the stupidest misplay I've ever made.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 22 Mar 2013, 05:53

Oh the shenanigans that result for 6+ player legacy planechase games. Genuinely some of the most hilariously entertaining things I've ever seen happen in magic has been in those games. Times where the game has entered a kind of stalemate because everyone has managed to accumulate ludicrous quantities of 0/1 goat tokens, and been completely incapable of leaving the plane that generates them.

Ah, those were good times.
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 22 Mar 2013, 12:26

Similarly, my favorite moment is from Planechase and also involves the goat tokens. We all spent enough time on the meadow plane to pick up a significant number of goats each, then when someone finally managed to Paneswalk away, we hit a plane that gave each creature +1/+1 for each other creature on the battlefield that shared a type with it, instantly making the goats into 23/24 monstrosities and throwing the table into a fit of laughter.

My signature also comes from a planechase game where I rolled chaos four times in a row on a plane that pings each creature for 1 as the chaos effect, which effectively wiped the board.
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 Mar 2013, 10:40

So I opened a pack of innistrad today, I see there is a foil in the back, im excited but I maintain my cool. I flip through, No bump :( I slide back to the rare. Garruk Relentless, sweet, that pays for the pack.

and a swamp...

and...

Its GOLD!

ITS MYTHIC!

ITS...

Not Geist of Saint Traft,

its Grimgrin, I dont know this card, but I know the name, that might mean its worth something, TCG... innistrad, mythic foil...

Scroll down...

Page two...

$3.00 huh oh well.

[–]Graham_LRR
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 23 Mar 2013, 12:07

I don't understand, Grimgrin isn't bad, why isn't he worth something?
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 24 Mar 2013, 07:31

AzureAngel17 wrote:I don't understand, Grimgrin isn't bad, why isn't he worth something?

Probably because the zombie deck in constructed is all about turns 1 through 3. If something costs 5, it's just not worth it.

It's pretty okay for casual games, but those don't drive up the prices that much.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 Mar 2013, 17:29

So I was drafting a couple days back. My draft deck ended up with Biovisionary and Stolen Identity. During my first (and only match sadly), the last game had my board pretty strong. I had Master Biomancer, Biovisionary, and a 5/3 Drakewing Krasis on the field...

and then I play Stolen Identity.

Now, the obvious target is the Biomancer. That would get nuts quickly. But I didn't do that. I went for the lulz. Cloned the Visionary, ciphered onto the Krasis, and swung with the Krasis. He had no blockers in the air.

And then he killed it with the 4 damage to target attacking or blocking creature spell. It made me very, very sad. I went on to win the match anyways, we'd both known I was going to, but I really wanted to pull off the biovisionary win. The reason he did it? He said it was because "I'm going to lose, but I still have some dignity left." We had a good chuckle about it.

Someday, somehow, I will win with Biovisionary and Stolen Identity in limited.
Drecon

Postby Drecon » 27 Mar 2013, 04:22

That's awesome and I really hope that happens sometimes.

Although to be fair: It's realistic to use Stolen Identity to trigger two times. However, the creature is going to be such a huge target that it's not realistic to trigger it a third time.

However, if I ever get the chance... hell yeah I'll go for it! It's just too awesome to not do.
Cobblepotter
First Video: The Job

Postby Cobblepotter » 29 Mar 2013, 23:59

While playtesting my recently made Borborgymos Enraged Commander deck, (this time focusing on big creatures, not 99 lands), I had a Hamletback Goliath out before bringing in Borbor and several other fatties.

The other side was locking down with a Blinding Angel with Moonsilver Spear and Sublime Archangel's Exalted boosts, getting up to 4 angel tokens by this point. I was dead next turn whether he exalted or not, since I once again couldn't attack.

Quite possibly my luckiest draw was getting Garruk, Primal Hunter. I play him, crack his -3 to draw cards equal to the highest power; which was Hamletback Goliath with 16 +1/+1 counters, making me draw 22 cards. I then sorted my lands in my hand to one side, and started throwing lightning bolts from Borborygmos' second ability to pretty much everyone on the opposing side. One bolt to the Sublime Archangel, two bolts to that angel, and two for each of those tokens. I ran out when all he had on the field was an Alabaster Mage, but by that time my grin was frozen in place.

My only regret it was it wasn't against a live opponent.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Apr 2013, 05:43

I was playing on MtGO with my so-so BU Mill deck in the "Just For Fun" area. Now, I've seen those with God-level decks that they've paid big bucks for coming into that area and preying upon those who are not as financially fortunate. Well, I went into a game with one of these guys, not knowing it at first, of course.

I go first. I've got a decent hand. No mulls. He didn't mull either. Play my land. Pass. Hunh... Foil Shock-Land. Pretty cool. My go? Another land. Pass. Another foil Shock-Land? Wow. He's paying the 2 life. Farseek. A THIRD foil Shock-Land. Alright, third turn. Here's my Nightveil Specter. ANOTHER foil Shock-Land? Kill my guy. (I forget with what.)

By this point, I'd realized this was one of these high-rollers in the "Just for Fun" area to get his jollies. Well, in no-stakes games, I don't concede. I get handed my butt easily, but they do it fair and square. So, after a few turns, he got down Omniscience on Turn 5 or something stupid, using Farseeks and other land-finding stuff to find more foil Shock-Lands and Elvish Visionaries to draw more cards. Luckily, some of what I call "incidental mill" had been used by me (Dream Twist, I think), and I had milled off his Enter the Infinite. To that, he said "stupid mill." Then, he starts just casting card after card for free to get more lands and shuffle and draw, so he can get what he needs. I end up putting out a Duskmantle Guildmage by this point. He says "stupid card" and does his "cast everything in his hand and continue to draw" stuff again for his next turn. One of the things he did was get an Elixir of Immortality out and crack it. I'm like "Well, there goes my mill plan, too." Back and forth he does his "cast, search, shuffle, repeat" plan a few more times and I get a piddling amount of damage and mill to him. He removes most of my mill and damage with his Elixirs, but I've still got him down to 16 life, due to activating the guildmage's ability to deal damage when things enter his graveyard. It kind of worked against him using many instants and sorceries. By this point, I've just been throwing almost all of my creatures that I cast under the bus to stay alive, though, once he got down 2 Sphinxes of Uthuun. Then, he gets down a Laboratory Maniac. I'm like, "Dang... Game over for me. Even if I win, I still lose."

However, at this point in the game, my board was 1 Dimir Guildgate, 2 Swamps, 1 foil Cathedral of War, 2 Duskmantle Guildmages, 1 Phylactery Lich, and 1 Trepanation Blade equipped on the Lich, which I'd been using to attack him for a few turns, and he'd been chumping with his Visionaries. I forget how much life I had exactly, but I was pretty low.

So it's this for me against his 16 life, Omniscience, foil Shock-Lands and foil regular lands out the wazoo, 2 Sphinxes, and a Laboratory Maniac. He also had something that allowed him to flash out stuff at instant speed, but I forget what that was. Anyway, I activate my guildmage's damage ability. He responds with Unexpected Results, which he'd played a few times before. That nets him a Fog, which he casts. So, I attack with the Lich as I still had planned, and the Trep Blade and Cathedral trigger. I stack the Cathedral first, then the Trep Blade, so the Blade does its mill first. I hit for 15 cards, which makes my Lich a 20/5. All of them trigger my guildmage, so I throw all 15 damage triggers on the stack. Now, this bypasses the Fog because it's not combat damage. Upon seeing this, he says "this shuffler is bs ur a sack" and ragequits. (Note: He would not have died from this. It was only 15 triggers and he had 16 life.)

And that, my friends, is how a little luck allowed an average guy to beat a big bully. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 16 Apr 2013, 06:12

hahaba thats brilliant. that troll got owned
Drecon

Postby Drecon » 16 Apr 2013, 12:01

What a jerk. I mean, the only really fun thing about the Fognicience deck is that you can beat up the tourney decks with this whacky thing that shouldn´t really work at all.
Using it to try and prey on newbs is just cruel.

Good job for handing it to him. There really is no better pleasure than beating these tourney decks in the ´just for fun´-room with these budget casual decks.

I salute you.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Apr 2013, 08:17

I love doing that kinda of thing.

way to go.

[–]Graham_LRR
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 18 Apr 2013, 11:32

So people don't read cards right?

Playing in a shadowmoor draft, and I have Shield of the oversoul on my creature which gives it +2/+2 Flying and indestructible if it is G/W.

My opponent has Swirling sprigan which activates for 2 hybrid G/U to change the color of a creature to whatever they want. So i'm not blocking with this creature assuming he's going to change the colors of my creature and 2 for 1 me an i hope i will draw removal. Eventually I am forced to what I think is chump with it, my opponent doesn't activate the ability, obviously having not read the card and I eventually go on to win the game from being at 2 life, lesson here folks, LOOK AT THE CARDS :wink:
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 18 Apr 2013, 13:26

Last week I was at an FNM. We were on the fifth and final match. I was 2/2, well out of prizes, feeling like crap (I'd taken my sleeping pills the night before and they always leave me exhausted the entire next day), and just kinda wanted to curl up in a ball and either sleep or die. My opponent was playing The Aristocrats deck. I manage to get Gisela out turn 4 or something, and a Sigarda, but I wasn't really trying that hard.

Eventually, I kinda got bored as he struggled to stay alive, so I just started going 'okay' in a dim-witted voice. Everything he'd do from kill my creatures to pass the turn, I'd respond like that. And every time I passed the turn, I'd respond like that. I didn't intend to do it past the first game, and the other guy was getting a chuckle out of it (we were both layed back).

After doing this for a while, I blocked, knowing I had a restoration angel in hand to save a somberwald sage... and then promptly forgot to due so due to saying 'okay' again. He went on to win the game, then the match. And I was facepalming pretty hard.

That same night, I was playing against someone else. I drew my opening hand, and OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING. Two Somberwald Sages. An Avacyn's Pilgrim. One of my high-drop angels (can't remember which). Three colored lands including 2 shocks and a tap land. I AM SET! I'm grinning and I say I'm going to keep this beautiful hand...

And then I look at the land... Two sacred Foundries and a Clifftop retreat. Not a single green mana source to be seen. Needless to say, I didn't draw into any green mana and my opponent slaughtered me. Derp Kapol is Derp.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 20 Apr 2013, 23:08

AdmiralMemo wrote:snip

Man, this reminds me of the days I played with a Red/Green deck in the Scars/Innistrad period. Beating decks running Snapcaster mage was always fun: "Haha, my deck costs less then that single card of yours,"
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 Apr 2013, 04:50

I was once playing a Modern Myr deck in an 11-man free-for-all multiplayer game. One of my friends at the table was playing a Reanimator deck with Sheoldred, who was proving to be a persistent pain dominantly to me for the necessity of having critters stick around.

So, I set about systematically making it my mission to ensure that she didn't win. All in good fun of course, my metallic minions did whatever they could to strike at the heart of this phyrexian abomination.

Eventually, I got her down to 2 life, and had nothing but a Perilous Myr left. By this point, the entire table knew precisely what was going down, and factions began to form.

The turn passes around the table, taking an age, as people try to concoct some scenario wherein they can get rid of my lone Perilous Myr and save Sheoldred, even though she'd been dicking the whole table over all game. Removal was considered, burn was contemplated, frantic searches for exile, and all manner of tutor to get at the above.

Eventually, her turn arrived, and unable to prevent Sheoldred from triggering, she was hoisted by her own petard on my turn.

I have never seen an entire table so wary of a 1/1 for 2.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 Apr 2013, 22:49

I played two headed giant with a guy who was running the strait crackling perimeter deck. I was running my deathtouch deck, and was just obliterating their creatures.

They were at 46 from blood artist, we were at 34

From what I saw and asked him, 4 Urban Burgeoning, 4 crackling perimeter, 20 gates, 4 chromatic lanterns and 2 reforge the soul 4 greenside watchers.

He had all 4 burgeoning down on gates, he had 8 gates down two watchers and 1 lantern.

He tapped one gate and the lantern to play the first perimeter, second and third gate for second perimeter, plus four damage, untapped those two with his watchers, tapped out for 32 more, total of 36 damage, then on upkeep my upkeep he untapped his 4 with the gates, I pinged for two with my two Deadly Recluses and he then got them.

[–]Graham_LRR
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 15 May 2013, 17:25

If I told you that I ulitmated Ral Zarek and then won with filibuster counters on Azor's Elocuters would you believe me?

All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Drecon

Postby Drecon » 16 May 2013, 00:14

That's epic. I had an Azor's Elecutors and Palisade Giants out at the same time once, but Ral Zarek is a category all in its own.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 17 May 2013, 07:21

So decided to get Momir as it looked like fun, playing the first game with Memo, decide to do a phlottery, what do you know:

First time, first phage. :D
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 18 May 2013, 06:30

Just tonight, I won a game in 6 turns (with my Modern green deck).
Turn 1: Get Llanowar Elves out. (Tap it for an extra mana every turn after this)
Turn 2: Get Dungrove Elder out.
Turn 3: Get Deadbridge Goliath out.
Turn 5: Get Primeval Titan out.
Turn 6: Overrun, swing for lethal.

Funny thing is though, that's not the fastest that deck's ever fired.
The fastest my deck (I call it my Ramp Trample deck) has ever fired was actually against myself while I was playtesting it against a zombie deck.
So the person who was using my Ramp/Trample deck played like this.

Turn 1: 1 land.
Turn 2: 2 lands: Get Overgrown Battlement out.
Turn 3: 3 lands: Play another Overgrown Battlement, tap the first one for an extra two mana, get Dungrove Elder out.
Turn 4: 4 lands, tap the two Overgrown Battlements for a total of 8 mana, play Eldrazi Conscription on the Dungrove Elder, swing for 14.
I then conceded, but I guess my deck's actual record would be 5 turns.
Last edited by WAYF on 18 May 2013, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”