So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Re: So that just happened (funny MTG stories)

Postby Drecon » 17 Oct 2013, 05:36

That seems like an awesome turn Prospero. I love how Modern Masters makes these kinds of turns possible.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Oct 2013, 06:13

Yeah, that moment sounds like the moment I realized years later how the "Splice onto Arcane" ability works. (I'd only collected during the Kamigawa block, and hadn't actually played.) I did not understand what the benefit of it was as opposed to actually casting the card. To me, it just seemed like putting all your eggs in one basket, making it ripe for a single counterspell to fizzle all your stuff. What good was that?

Then, I realized that you can use it to get around protection. If you have a black removal spell with Splice and there's a creature with pro-black, you can cast a red spell (that does anything) and Splice the black card's effects onto it, so the effect is now coming from a red source, not a black source.

Finally, I realized something when I LOOKED AT THE CARDS. :D I finally realized that you get to keep the Splice card in your hand, for repeatable effects. That was the real realization, as I thought it went into your graveyard like a normal spell.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 17 Oct 2013, 06:53

LOOK. AT. THE. CARDS. LOOKATTHECARDS.

That, I think, is the cardinal lesson I learned from that Modern Masters draft. It was wicked fun, but by god, was it expensive.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 17 Oct 2013, 13:27

This is only somewhat related to MtG, but I feel it's worth mentioning. I've been playing Pokémon X recently. I'm trying to breed for a shiny Pokémon. But every time I think of shiny Pokémon, I keep calling them 'foil' Pokémon.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 17 Oct 2013, 13:27

This is only somewhat related to MtG, but I feel it's worth mentioning. I've been playing Pokémon X recently. I'm trying to breed for a shiny Pokémon. But every time I think of shiny Pokémon, I keep calling them 'foil' Pokémon.
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 17 Oct 2013, 19:43

I call foil cards "shiny" because of Pokemon. It works both ways I guess!
brb, assaulting children.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 18 Oct 2013, 02:44

Wizards them self call them Premium see the card "Super Secret Tech"
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 18 Oct 2013, 16:35

True story. This is off the Urza's Legacy booster box I have from back in my ooooooold playing days:

Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Majicou83
First Video: MTGO Draft Thing

Postby Majicou83 » 20 Oct 2013, 11:19

Top deck mode on my turn, facing down a Kalonian Hydra (16 counters), Savageborn Hydra (14 counters), a Sylvan Caraytid, and a second Savageborn (6 counters) with 11 life.

Pulled a second Flesh/Blood off the top. Swung in with a Stormbreath for four in the air and cast two bloods for the win.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 20 Oct 2013, 11:33

Opponent is at 18 life. I'm at... 13. My board state: Boros Reckoner, Frontline Medic, an animated Purphoros, I think a hexproof mana dork, and a Domri with 2 counters. My opponent's turn. He +1's Garruk. Gets a ton of stuff. He plays out an animated Nylea, a Kalonian Hydra, a Boon Satyr, and a Revenant Hunter with 12 +1/+1 counters, as well as four mana dorks.

I have two creatures in hand. Another Reckoner, and another Frontline, and a Garruk of my own.

Seems kind of hopeless, right?

Except I saw a way in. I just had to deal 1 damage to combo off.

So I swing in. I had forgotten that Frontline triggered, making all my creatures indestructible. But that was just icing on the cake. He let's it all go through and goes down to 6.

I then -2 Domri and make his Revenant Hunter and my Reckoner fight. I then redirect the 13 damage into his face for the win.

My original hope, assuming that he blocked my creatures (mostly due to forgot about indestructability, though I still say it was smarter to block the medic and Purphoros at least), was to play out both of my creatures. That'd get him for 4 damage. I'd then -2 Domri to make the Revenant Hunter and Reckoner fight (as I did). But without attacking, that'd put him at 1. Thankfully, even if I'd not had the medic, I could have played out the second reckoner to use with Domri, and blocking or not blocking the first Reckoner makes sure I get at least 1 damage through.

EDIT: Though... thinking about it, I could have just double activated Purphoros's firebreathing ability to give my team +2/0 and hit him for game. So yea, not blocking was a mistake on my opponent's part.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 20 Oct 2013, 11:44

You're awfully fond of those Boros Reckoners, it seems. I can respect that.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 Oct 2013, 19:39

I was running a Agent of Horizons as just a plain 3/2 dude in my green black deck.

My opponent was on 3 life and paid Monstrosity on the Sealock Monster, turning one of my swamps into a island.

I chump blocked the monster, and unblockabled with my nice fresh island.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 24 Oct 2013, 20:21

I once properly used a Chaos Confetti in a lunch duel. True story.
Credit to Foxmar
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 25 Oct 2013, 03:24

Just crushed FNM draft with a super-controlling BG deck. Only Gary was the one I opened pack 2, as the guy to my right was also in black, but I did get 4 Pharika's Mender, and they were all wonderful.

First round was against RW hyperaggro (he got passed Firedrinker Satyr last pick P1 and tried to move in), both games I got aggroed down to around 3-5 life due to having so few low drops, but then I'd start landing my 5-drops (or just a Nessian Courser) and stabilise, and then eventually win. But that deck wasn't too exciting, and I think that guy came last... I don't think hyperaggro is a real thing in this format.

Second round was another controllish deck, but not as controllish as mine. Usually the ground would get pretty clogged up and he'd have a flier or two. I'd finally draw Nessian Asp, hold off his fliers, then he'd kill the Asp and start getting in, I'd Mender the Asp and replay it back... and eventually he'd run out of kill spells and I'd be stable, again, at around 3-5 life, and eventually win. I lost game 1 and was about to scoop game 2 when my opponent pointed out I wasn't actually dead (I was on 2 and thought I had nothing that could block his Daxos, but he pointed out that the tokens from Abhorrent Overlord could block it... which I'd automatically ignored because the 6/6 itself couldn't block it), and I then went on to win it (including playing Rescue from the Underworld to bring back Overlord, and sacing Mender to bring back something else too) and then won game 3.

So I got into the finals, with a deck that was always winning super close games, coming very close to dying, thinking my deck probably didn't deserve to win. My opponent, on the other hand, had a super janky three-colour-mediocre-stuff deck, that had just gotten lucky draws against opponents, and also thought he didn't deserve to win. Turns out, he was right, and I just crushed him with gross Mender value.

Fun plays of the day: My opponent screws up a combat step, automatically saying "I take 4" when he meant to Divine Verdict... I let him take it back... and then revealed I was going to play Pharika's Mender that turn anyway, and now I could do it for value :D.
The other was having my second-round opponent cast Thoughtseize, and I reveal a land and two Pharika's Menders. Take what you want, I'll be getting it back.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
MoonstruckRagamuffin
First Video: That one with the cats in it

Postby MoonstruckRagamuffin » 25 Oct 2013, 21:13

So FNM draft night. Pack one Pyxis of Pandemonium, pick 5 Colossus of Akros. the night becomes getting the Colossus out with the Pyxis. Never quite got there but pulled off 3 game wins with a monstrous Colossus.
phlip

Postby phlip » 08 Nov 2013, 07:07

So, tonight we had a new drafter who hadn't played magic much (mostly Commander) and it was their first draft. They built a... rather ambitious five-colour-green deck running multiple Nylea's Presence and a Sylvan Caryatid for fixing.

The craziest play to come from this deck was casting Nylea's Presence on a Forest, then tapping that Forest for white to cast Chained to the Rocks, enchanting the same Forest, to exile my big guy... It worked, though it did make tapping his mana kinda awkward for the rest of the game...

[he/him/his]
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 08 Nov 2013, 08:04

Wow, that's brilliant. How did he do in the end?
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 10 Nov 2013, 19:24

At FNM I'm playing against someone running RU scry-and-Spellheart while I was trying to go with a BG devotion-ish deck while ramping into giant foxes. It's a close game and I had him down to 3 life, and he Sea God's Revenges my creatures to swing in with flyers and bring me to 4 life near the end of the game.

He spent a lot of time trying to figure out what to bring back to my hand, and there were four creatures on my side for him to choose from: a Vulpine Goliath, a Disciple of Phenax, a Baleful Eidolon, and a Blood-Toll Harpy bestowed with another Baleful. Afraid of me playing the Disciple again to get rid of the last card in his hand and somehow sneak in victory, he leaves me with the Disciple and a Baleful that fell off the Harpy. He had two flyers that could both deal lethal to me, so I could not just play the Harpy and block. It was all up to my top-deck to steal victory here.

Or so he thought. After failing to draw Gary (which would've been cool), I just bestowed a Baleful Eidolon onto the Disciple of Phenax and swung for exactly lethal. A lesson learned for all of us: math is scary.

After that we played our third game of the match and he stomped me with a Vaporkin and an entire hand of Voyages Ends and Lightning Strikes to prevent me from playing any creatures. He dropped a 7/3 Spellheart Chimera on the last turn before killing me with that Vaporkin. I went 2-2 that day.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Nov 2013, 19:54

So you had a eidolon and a Phenax left? Couldn't you have just swung for 2 to bring him down to 1, then play the harpy to deal the last 1?
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 10 Nov 2013, 20:09

Kapol wrote:So you had a eidolon and a Phenax left? Couldn't you have just swung for 2 to bring him down to 1, then play the harpy to deal the last 1?

Apparently neither of us calculated that. Bestowing for victory was probably all I saw, anyway.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Nov 2013, 20:30

It didn't matter really. I think you had the game won with that from the sounds of it, since you could get 2 through no matter what, and the flier would mean being able to kill him. Whatever works, works though. I just wasn't sure if you'd seen that play.
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 08 Dec 2013, 15:40

Last week, I went to a Theros draft at my local GoodGames with my friends. Nothing particularly special, except that there were 10 people in this draft.
Once again, I found myself drafting Black/White out of a continuing desire to make a Black Devotion deck inspired by LoadingReadyRun's own terrible MGTO Draft with Pyxis of Pandemonium.
(The deck is almost finished, It just needs an Erebos. And it has three Pyxides.) :P

Black/White is a set of colours which I have had actually pretty good luck with. The week before I drafted Black/White, drew my first two rounds out of incredible stall tactics, and ended up placing high enough to get myself a Thassa. But anyway.

In the first round, I was matched up against the one person in the entire draft who didn't want to draft Theros, and who was thus acting like a major killjoy. (Once the draft was revealed to contain TWO Elspeths, he changed his tune just slightly). And he spent a not insignificant amount of time during our round complaining that he had lost his sideboard, and was generally being a bit unpleasant.
I mention this because it made the end-game much more satisfying.
See, as had become tradition for Black/White and me, we were tied at 1 all. He was drafting Red/Green, so his creatures were getting bigger than mine by the second. And he was running at least 3 Defend the Hearths, which was super annoying.
Then time was called.
I had two Garys on the field (which would have won me the game if he wasn't running Nylea's Disciple lifegain) and a few other blockers, but most importantly I had a Sentry of the Underworld which had an Ordeal of Erebos on it. And I had anywhere between 25 and 40 life.
So by turn 4, we each had 1 card in hand, and I had a 6/6 vigilance flier on the field. He had 7 life, I had 35 or so.
I played out my last card. It was a Cutthroat Manouvre. Attack with the flying vigilance man for 7 damage.
I said to him, "If you have another Defend the Hearth in your hand, there's no way I can win."
He played out his last card.
It was a Defend the Hearth.
I was shattered.
Then it was Turn 5, and with me on 35 or so life, there was no way that even he, even with his massive creatures, could deal me lethal. But he decided to attack with everything anyway, cause hey, what's the harm in that at this stage? It's not like I had anything that could deal damage to him.
Except that one of the creatures he was attacking with was a Firedrinker Satyr.
So I blocked the Firedrinker Satyr with everything I had, took 15 damage and won the game. On his turn. On Turn 5.

And that's the story of how a Firedrinker Satyr won me a game. :P
The moral of this story is: Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use Firedrinker Satyr. It is the worst.
Also, declaring blockers as my opponent hastily clarified the rules with anyone who would listen is one of my proudest moments in Magic ever. :D
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 06 Jan 2014, 20:25

So I'm in an 8-man, four-way Two-Headed Giant Commander Game. We opt to start everyone at 80 life. I'm running Shattergang bros, which has horrible synergy with my partner, who's running Prime Speaker. The game's pretty slow, with big plays all around, but with too much beef on the board and too much power for much to happen (and the occasional boardwipe). I can't get my sac engine up, because my partner can't afford to lose creatures to it. Looks kinda bad. Between his crazy draw power, and a a whispering Madness, his deck gets pretty low. I've been kinda useless the whole game, and feel kinda bad when the other teams realize they can try to mill him out. But here's the thing: He milled off a Laboratory Maniac. I drop my Underworld Cerebus (which also stopped some tricky stuff around the board), and the someone else destroyed it. My partner gets back the maniac, then drops Psychosis Crawler into Prime Speaker for the win. After a whole game of doing very little, one card I wasn't sure belonged in my deck ended up winning us the game.
phlip

Postby phlip » 12 Jan 2014, 20:41

At Standard this weekend, someone came in with a homebrew Dimir mill deck, with Mind Grind and Consuming Abberation and friends.

Meanwhile, I'm running GW with four Scavenging Ooze and miser's Nykthos.

It... ended poorly for him.

("Traumatise you, making Consuming Abberation as a 30/30"... "OK, tap Nykthos for 10 mana, scavenge 10 creatures from my yard, attack with Ooze and Kalonian Hydra"... "Oh.")

[he/him/his]
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 12 Jan 2014, 21:14

That's why doom blade, grisly spectacle. Guess that guy didn't have enough removal.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”