My First Draft Victory

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

My First Draft Victory

Postby MisterDee » 08 Apr 2013, 07:47

So, one of the reason I found the motivation to sign up here was that I won my first draft ever yesterday, and I felt like bragging a bit.

It was a RTR Swiss on MTGO, so yeah, it's not the most awesome accomplishment, but still, I'm pretty pleased by myself. Most satisfying is that I mostly won on the back of solid drafting and relatively decent play (apart from the first game in Match 3, which I would have lost if not for my opponent targetting himself with his Psychic Spiral.) Plus, of course, I got a decent haul of rares (Niv-Mizzet, Mizzium Mortars and Steam Vents.)

Now, of course, I have to repeat my performance. But it's really cool to finally win a draft, and to feel like I finally have a handle on what kind of mistakes I'm doing.

Overall, I have to thank James and Graham for their MTG videos. Sure, they're for laughs, but I'm still learning way more from their occasionnal loose plays and slightly insane draft strategies than from Simon Goertzen's or Marshal's more conventionnal videos.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Re: My First Draft Victory

Postby Lemegeton » 08 Apr 2013, 09:46

congrats dude. while i didnt win i did leave my last draft with a winning record for the 1st time ever. its a good feeling when you finally stop getting your ass kicked
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Apr 2013, 10:24

good job!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 08 Apr 2013, 10:28

Very nice. Keep up the good work. Just don't get cocky, there will always be people better than you and you won't start winning all your drafts overnight.

Nevertheless, congrats on taking down the draft. Enjoy every victory, you've earned it.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 08 Apr 2013, 10:31

Congratulations I remember how good it feels, I can definitely relate as I just won my first ever 8-4 over the moon! :D
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
SomeCallMeTim
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby SomeCallMeTim » 11 Apr 2013, 22:17

I plan on gaining an edge on Dragon's Maze thanks to LR's set review and then attempting to get people during the release events so I can win my first draft. I need all the help I can get! I seem to go 2-1 pretty frequently, but can't crest that hill. Someday...
BE RIGHT THERE HOMBRE!
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 12 Apr 2013, 07:05

I'm still flailing around incompetently most (all?) of the time, but two of Marshal's lessons really help me (or at least, I do better when I keep them in mind)

1-Don't bother thinking about what signals you're sending, focus on reading the signals you get;

2-Don't be afraid not to run your pack 1 pick 1 bomb if you're not getting the cards.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”