Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: the Gathering

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Dominic Appleguard

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: the Gathering

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 08 Apr 2013, 09:27

I just got into paper Magic after a hiatus of about 11 years (that's Onslaught block, btw). I'm assembling a Simic deck from an intro pack, Card Kingdom singles, and some boosters I've acquired.

One problem plagues me, however. My deck is becoming increasingly green, and I need to shift my mana base, which is 13U/12G right now. Even though my brothers and I have opened about eight boosters between us I haven't seen a single Forest (or even a Simic Guildgate, but that's more understandable).

Here's where my peculiar psychosis comes in. I have a brick of forests in my basement, ranging from my first expansion (Odyssey) to blocks I didn't even play in (the original Ravnica). But I can't use those forests. I need RtR forests. Because I am a crazy person.

Does anyone else have an inexplicable compulsive tic with regards to Magic?
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Re: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: the Gathering

Postby Dubious_wolf » 08 Apr 2013, 09:35

I have to play draft with foil lands.
^( " )^
winner!
DSmaster21
First Video: Friday Nights-Untap
Location: You will hear on the news one day. Zombies! Wait no disregard that random word.

Postby DSmaster21 » 08 Apr 2013, 09:36

I suffer like you to a greater/lesser degree. I sometimes cannot force myself to add any cards outside the set that the deck (I use intro packs as deck bases) started in. I also cannot take decks "apart" (I can't even remove a couple of cards and then note down what I took). It stems from when I played yugioh and used to do that all the time but I took apart some decks that I had won tourneys with and then could not seem to get them to work or be rebuilt again.
Self wrote: I lost my humanity back in 2013 BC ahhhh the good old days.

Ptangmatik wrote: We drew things on your face. Oh, and you're now legally called Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle. Congratulations.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 08 Apr 2013, 09:38

I love foils. Too much really. It gets to the point if I see a good foil that I won't ever use, I'll have to force myself to not try to trade for it. The first half of my binder is foils, some of my most epensive cards are foils (2 foil Resto Angels, a foil Huntmaster, and so forth). While they're neat, they're normally not worth the additional cost.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 08 Apr 2013, 09:58

Kapol wrote:I love foils. Too much really. It gets to the point if I see a good foil that I won't ever use, I'll have to force myself to not try to trade for it. The first half of my binder is foils, some of my most epensive cards are foils (2 foil Resto Angels, a foil Huntmaster, and so forth). While they're neat, they're normally not worth the additional cost.

Man do we need to talk then because I want to move foils along ASAP!
(Unless it's lands. 'Cause omg beautiful foil lands.)
^( " )^
winner!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Apr 2013, 10:24

When I do limited I have to have all my land be from the same set. Not from the set I am drafting necessarily but for example they must all be 10th edition. If have time I also like it to be the same image.

The LGS I was at had 7 boxes of lands, when I left the area four of them had been sorted into expansion and stacked by card image.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 08 Apr 2013, 10:36

I used to be much worse than I am now. For the longest time, back before I quit around Odyssey, all of the basic land in my deck had to have the same art. I was especially attached to Forest #347 from Urza's Saga. I would move that same set of Forests from deck to deck. For luck, I guess? Partly to break myself of this, when I recently built a mono-green commander deck, I made sure every last Forest had different art.

The only thing that bothers me now is if I have a playset of cards in a deck, and one of them is different. In my Standard deck, I had to use my Rancors from Urza's Legacy because I didn't have 4 from M13. I also have 4 Experiment One in that deck and one is foil. Curse you, foil ooze guy, why must you be different!?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Apr 2013, 14:06

Oh man, a playset from differnt sets... how could anyone even think of doing that. They wouldnt MATCH!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Yaxley

Postby Yaxley » 08 Apr 2013, 14:24

Look at this abomination! Who can live like that?

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Apr 2013, 15:13

Those are unacceptable.

Now I would accept a card that only had only 4 alternate arts like swords into plow shares, terror, Pyroclasm, or fireball because that would be a matched set.

And yes, I had to search to find four cards with 4 alt arts.

[–]Graham_LRR
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 08 Apr 2013, 15:17

Yaxley wrote:For the longest time, back before I quit around Odyssey, all of the basic land in my deck had to have the same art. I was especially attached to Forest #347 from Urza's Saga. I would move that same set of Forests from deck to deck. For luck, I guess? Partly to break myself of this, when I recently built a mono-green commander deck, I made sure every last Forest had different art.

The latter part is actually my tic when it comes to basic land. I don't want them to all have the same art, because a) there's so many good ones; don't make me choose, and b) finding 20-30 of the same basic land can be problematic. But having 2 or 3 lands be the same art and all the rest being different bugs me even more. So every single basic land must have different art.

(Exception: if a basic land art was printed in the old frame but then reprinted in the new frame, I can use one of each, as they are different enough. That is the only way to get around this rule.)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Apr 2013, 15:22

RytelCSF wrote:
(Exception: if a basic land art was printed in the old frame but then reprinted in the new frame, I can use one of each, as they are different enough. That is the only way to get around this rule.)

NO!

You can not mix white boarder lands with black boarded lands. NO! NO!

[–]Graham_LRR
Yaxley

Postby Yaxley » 08 Apr 2013, 15:32

Lord Hosk wrote:
RytelCSF wrote:

NO!

Any time you want to replace my Revised dual lands with Beta versions, you let me know
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 09 Apr 2013, 04:44

I just use Zendikar lands, i love the flavor and style of the block in general and the full art lands are just so bitchin!
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Yaxley

Postby Yaxley » 09 Apr 2013, 06:47

I felt that way too, until I saw the Unhinged lands, which have "fuller" art. Shame they're so expensive.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Apr 2013, 13:39

I really cant wait for the next undeck.

[–]Graham_LRR
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 09 Apr 2013, 20:44

I have an obsession with foils to the point where in a rare redraft I will pick a foil common over a rare worth ~$4. I ended up in a bit of a fight with a guy who also always takes foils, but he just likes the actual foil part so he peels the card overlay off of them and he did it RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME and I wanted to punch him but there was no easy escape.

Also, I refuse to play lands that aren't modern frame black border. If I could afford to get my hands on Zendikar/Unhinged lands I would play with them exclusively, even bring them to drafts.
brb, assaulting children.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Apr 2013, 21:20

I dont know, you can pick up zendicar lands for 50 cents each if you look around a little.

I really dont like the art on them other than a couple.

I really like 5th edition because they did the seasons.

[–]Graham_LRR
Rootbreaker
First Video: Checkpoint 1

Postby Rootbreaker » 10 Apr 2013, 07:34

Picking matching lands isn't just OCD, it's good strategy. Sure, it matters very very rarely, but why give your opponent extra information?

Let's say you're splashing a color in an ISD limited deck, but show 3 different pictures on your splash lands over the first two games. In the third game, you have one of that land on the battlefield, and you mill one with an armored skaab or something. If your opponent has a ghost quarter, they might try to take you off that color if they hadn't seen three different pictures of land, thinking you might not have any basics of that land type left in your deck. With three lands of the same art, you get your opponent to sacrifice their ghost quarter and thin your deck for you. With three different pictures, your opponent might be observant enough to know not to do that.

Alternatively, your opponent might see 3 pictures, know that you have 3 of that basic land, and side out the ghost quarter for a basic, reducing their chances of color screw.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 10 Apr 2013, 08:36

I only use Eldrazi full-art lands.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 10 Apr 2013, 09:11

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I only use Eldrazi full-art lands.

I didn't know you could get full art Rise lands, I don't seem to see them anywhere online, where abouts did you get them?
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 11 Apr 2013, 10:15

Lord Hosk wrote:
RytelCSF wrote:

NO!

a) I actually like white borders because they don't use them anymore. It enhances the novelty.

b) They don't use them anymore, so Tenth Edition-present is fair game.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”