Dragon's Maze Previews

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Dragon's Maze Previews

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Apr 2013, 01:28

Also, with the blue Simic fliers from GTC and the blue Azorius fliers from RTR, there's even more odds you're getting through in DGM, so you can cipher onto them.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 01 May 2013, 16:09

Kapol wrote:I'm curious though, which is better in your guys' opinion, Hidden Strings or Hands of Binding? They're pretty different, but Hidden Strings allows you to untap some stuff of your own. Hands, on the other hand, keeps something tapped down for your opponents' turn.

I'll take Hands of Binding most of the time. It's just a more reliably useful effect. Sure the first cast of Hidden Strings is more likely to get your guy in but the Ciphered copies are going to be less useful unless you have stuff to play before and after combat. I'll take reliably keeping, for instance, a single enemy flier or reach creature tapped while I get in with my own flier.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 01 May 2013, 16:25

Utilitarian wrote:I'll take Hands of Binding most of the time. It's just a more reliably useful effect. Sure the first cast of Hidden Strings is more likely to get your guy in but the Ciphered copies are going to be less useful unless you have stuff to play before and after combat. I'll take reliably keeping, for instance, a single enemy flier or reach creature tapped while I get in with my own flier.

You're thinking of it solely for the tap effect though. Keep in mind that it also untaps permanents. you can play it, tap down any defenders, swing in, and on the second activation either untap your land (making it virtually free) or untap some attacks to leave blockers back (allowing you a more safe alpha strike). That's just a lot more versatility compared to Hands, especially if you can reliably activate it.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 01 May 2013, 16:32

Aye but if I had to use the first effect to tap down my opponent's creatures to get him in, I won't be able to use that effect to get it in next time. Binding is more narrow in its use but so long as my opponent has even one creature, Binding is a useful effect I'll want to have every turn and will be more reliably able to get every turn.

Strings is more versatile but also less likely to be useful on a regular basis
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 01 May 2013, 16:44

Utilitarian wrote:Aye but if I had to use the first effect to tap down my opponent's creatures to get him in, I won't be able to use that effect to get it in next time. Binding is more narrow in its use but so long as my opponent has even one creature, Binding is a useful effect I'll want to have every turn and will be more reliably able to get every turn.

Strings is more versatile but also less likely to be useful on a regular basis

Except hands isn't that reliable. You have to be able to get in with that creature with hands every turn for it to continue working. Otherwise it's as worthless as any other non-triggering Cipher spell. If you have a flying, and your opponent has one way to block it, then yea, hands is more useful, even if it's still more narrow. But if your opponent can block even once, hands becomes worthless too. And any non-evasive creature is just stopped after the first swing normally. What you're mentioning is less a problem with Strings, and more a problem with all cipher spells that hands kinda helps.

But *shrug*. I'm just playing devil's advocate at this point to be honest.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 01 May 2013, 17:47

Eesh... Voice of Resurgance is certainly commanding a price as a pre-order. I can only hope it'll drop after a while. I'd really like to make a Bant deck around tokens and copies.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”