Dragon's Maze Previews

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Re: Dragon's Maze Previews

Postby tamaness » 11 Apr 2013, 14:32

Geoff_B wrote:Blanka?

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Pretty much.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 11 Apr 2013, 16:06

madAlric wrote:Image
Pretty much.

That one is INSANE. That's ... wow.
SomeCallMeTim
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby SomeCallMeTim » 11 Apr 2013, 22:12

I'm getting more and more excited...

and

for removal seems decent to me. I would LOVE the tempo blowout of bounce, then they sac the creature they have left for 5. Kinda stinks that it's in Dimir, because that's probably my least favorite guild (sorry Kathleen!)

And straight up removal...separate the blocks were removal light, but now we're going to have to be mighty cognizant of what our opponents are keeping up methinks.
BE RIGHT THERE HOMBRE!
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 12 Apr 2013, 00:05

Also this:

Standard is now pretty much dominated by Sphinx's Revelation Strategies.

I'm skeptical on if this card can actually make a difference, even right now these decks run enough spot removal, but I do like that they're actually printing these aggressive creatures to make sure other decks at least have a game plan.

Doesn't seem mythic though.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Docbrown
First Video: Unskipable-001

Postby Docbrown » 13 Apr 2013, 09:15

Kapol wrote:I'm not sure if that's how it works Lemegeton. The card specifically says Ghoultree costs (1) less to cast for each card in your graveyard. Since you're not casting it, but scavenging it from your graveyard, I think it'll always cost 7G. It's ability doesn't alter it's actual casting cost from my understanding.

8 mana for 10 1/1 counters is better than increasing savagery.
There's also ANY red 4mana 6/2
Or r/w/b 2 mana. 3/1
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 13 Apr 2013, 10:12

Well, hello possible infinite turn interaction between Vorel of the Hull Clade and Ral Zarek.

Doh, of course I misread the card. And it's obvious *why* she can't target Planeswalkers.

ImageImage

Turn three Vorel, turn four Ral Zarek, turn five activate Zarek's +1 with the untap targeting Vorel, in response activate Vorel targeting Zarek, then resolve and then activate Vorel targeting Zarek again. Opponents better do something good in their turn...

Which doesn't work of course, but let's say we're playing Modern, and we have a play set of,
Docbrown
First Video: Unskipable-001

Postby Docbrown » 13 Apr 2013, 11:40

JayBlanc wrote:Well, hello possible infinite turn interaction between Vorel of the Hull Clade and Ral Zarek.

Doh, of course I misread the card. And it's obvious *why* she can't target Planeswalkers.

ImageImage

Turn three Vorel, turn four Ral Zarek, turn five activate Zarek's +1 with the untap targeting Vorel, in response activate Vorel targeting Zarek, then resolve and then activate Vorel targeting Zarek again. Opponents better do something good in their turn...

Which doesn't work of course, but let's say we're playing Modern, and we have a play set of,

Ral goes in my ruw American control deck.
Ideally.
Mecurial chemister with illusionists bracers taps for 4 cards. Ral untaps.
Tap the chemister again for 4 more.
Ill yank the temporal mastery to exchange him in.
Shinneh
First Video: field?

Postby Shinneh » 14 Apr 2013, 07:45

Does the Dimir guy actually grind, or does he just remove 4 lands from the deck?
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 14 Apr 2013, 08:40

He grinds. Have another look at the cars. Reveal cards until you reveal 4 lands, then put all those cards in the graveyard
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 14 Apr 2013, 18:34

It's a little odd... so far on the cards that grind multiple times they say "put all cards revealed this way into the graveyard" to avoid the potential ambiguity... for cards that only grind once, they can just say "put those cards into the graveyard" because being plural means it has to be referring to all cards revealed, not just the land revealed. But they still mean all the cards revealed, just just the lands, it's just a clarity issue.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 14 Apr 2013, 21:20

I can't think of anything to say here beyond "Oh fuck".
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 14 Apr 2013, 21:46

Tajic: by god he is going to be a handful to deal with.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 14 Apr 2013, 22:29

phlip wrote:I can't think of anything to say here beyond "Oh fuck".

I can only imagine the satisfaction of playing this the turn after your opponent plays an Angel of Serenity...

*edit* Man can you imagine casting Give/Take on a Fathom Mage? Six mana for six cards yes please

Also Tajic is kind of neat. Didn't think we'd see a flat out indestructible creature. 7/7 with battalion is nothing to sneeze at as well
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Apr 2013, 22:40

It's important to keep in mind that he's a 2/2 with battalion, not a 7/7. Slap a rancor on him and he's really good... IF you can keep him and 2 other creatures on the board. At the moment, I don't think that's a very easy thing to accomplish. Most decks will have some way to deal with him. If not directly, than through destroying the creatures around him. I'd be a lot happier with him, I think, if he cost an extra mana and had Vigilance. As he is, I'm not that impressed. I actually think he's one of the weaker champions just because of how much he relies on his own keyword.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 15 Apr 2013, 04:45

phlip wrote:I can't think of anything to say here beyond "Oh fuck".

yeah saw him this morning. holy fuck aptly sums up my reaction too. especially when you read the mtgdaily article showing just how disgusting he is going to be
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 15 Apr 2013, 06:03

I notice mtgsalvation doesn't currently have a source for Plasm Capture. Wizards has always said the only way they would reprint Mana Drain is if the entire R&D team got hit by a bus, so I wonder.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 15 Apr 2013, 07:52

Kapol wrote:It's important to keep in mind that he's a 2/2 with battalion, not a 7/7. Slap a rancor on him and he's really good... IF you can keep him and 2 other creatures on the board. At the moment, I don't think that's a very easy thing to accomplish. Most decks will have some way to deal with him. If not directly, than through destroying the creatures around him. I'd be a lot happier with him, I think, if he cost an extra mana and had Vigilance. As he is, I'm not that impressed. I actually think he's one of the weaker champions just because of how much he relies on his own keyword.

yeah that was my initial impression of him too. he is too dependent on having good creatures on the board when you play him. indesct is not great when a board wipe or removal kills his allies and you dont trigger batallion. he could really do another ability like :1RW target creature you control is indestructible this turn.
as he is you could play him on turn 4 but only have like 2 bomber corps out already which can be easily removed.

do you think maybe wizards are making boros a bit weaker on purpose given how much it dominated limited in gatecrash
DSmaster21
First Video: Friday Nights-Untap
Location: You will hear on the news one day. Zombies! Wait no disregard that random word.

Postby DSmaster21 » 15 Apr 2013, 07:59

Docbrown wrote:
Kapol wrote:I'm not sure if that's how it works Lemegeton. The card specifically says Ghoultree costs (1) less to cast for each card in your graveyard. Since you're not casting it, but scavenging it from your graveyard, I think it'll always cost 7G. It's ability doesn't alter it's actual casting cost from my understanding.

8 mana for 10 1/1 counters is better than increasing savagery.
There's also ANY red 4mana 6/2
Or r/w/b 2 mana. 3/1

Sorry everyone for the poor context but I have to respond to this.

Increasing Savagery is much better. IS allows you to put 5 counters on for four mana, this is exactly half and can be played earlier. IS then can be exiled to put 10 counters on a card this is the same effect as exiling Ghoultree would give you, however IS does it for 1/2 less mana 6GG (I count colored mana as 1/2 for CMC) and IS can be used twice for a total of 15 for 8GGGG. The added value of multiple uses of the same card are hard to understand but hopefully this simple math will help.
For Comparison
!5 x 2 = 30
8GGGG x 2 = 16+8G

30 for 16+8+4
30 for 28

10 x 3 = 30
7G X 3 = 21GGG

30 For 21+3+1 and 1/2
30 for 25 and a half

However you need two cards vs. three to gain thirty.

Also Flesh/Blood costs 3BG to play so not 7G

Ie.

2 cards vs. 6 cards and a cost comparison of

28 to 18

Update: Sorry my source of spoiled cards did not have the Golgari maze runner at time of posting.
Last edited by DSmaster21 on 17 Apr 2013, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Self wrote: I lost my humanity back in 2013 BC ahhhh the good old days.

Ptangmatik wrote: We drew things on your face. Oh, and you're now legally called Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle. Congratulations.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 15 Apr 2013, 08:24

funny you should mention that as i am now testing another version of this deck and have removed ghoultree in place of primordial hydra and am using increasing savagery and gyre sage to pump even little guys to 10/10 and even more and then hit with essence harvest. i still like the general idea of a big dude+plus essence harvest as its direct life dmg and cant be blocked. sure essence harvest can be countered but it only needs to hit once to win a game. also using bioshift in this deck as its so much fun to move the +1+1 counters from my big dude in response to removal. sure you can kill my hydra but first ill move all his counters to my strangleroot geist. :D :D
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 15 Apr 2013, 08:24

I was going to say Tajic is awesome because simply having an indestructible blocker is good but all these cards kill him so maybe not quite as insane as i thought.

Executioner's Swing, Angelic edict, arrest, soul tithe, trostani's judgement, paralyzing grasp, stab wound, augur spree, detention sphere, death's approach, devour flesh in the right circumstance, merciless eviction, 1000 lashes and thats just in GTC and RTR

Edit: you're correct utilitarian, I should read cards more carefully
Last edited by ArchieO on 15 Apr 2013, 10:54, edited 2 times in total.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 15 Apr 2013, 08:46

Rapid Hybridization doesn't kill him but your point is well made regardless
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 15 Apr 2013, 10:13

Sooooo Legions initiative seems legit

On board wrath counter for 2 mana, that pumps your dudes, naya blitz just got a really powerful tool! I have to say I am not quite sure why it is mythic but it is definitley a constructed focused card. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was a top down design = anti-wrath thats not a counter spell
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 15 Apr 2013, 10:31

It seems pretty good. I might look into getting some for my deck, though that's iffy since it's a creature-focused deck. I can see some interesting plays based around it though... like "I cast Supreme Verdict" "Alright, then I pop my Legion's initiative in response." "Good, I counter my own Supreme Verdict and swing in for the win."

Also, I don't think it'll help much with Verdict in the current standard. Most decks running Verdict are also running Snapcaster from what I've seen. As such, they're just bring in Snap the next turn and re-verdict after the initiative is off the field.
Lemegeton

Postby Lemegeton » 15 Apr 2013, 10:38

ArchieO wrote:Sooooo Legions initiative seems legit

hey supreme verdict. Fuck You
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 15 Apr 2013, 10:58

Lemegeton wrote:hey supreme verdict. Fuck You

That was pretty much how i read it too

Kapol wrote:It seems pretty good. I might look into getting some for my deck, though that's iffy since it's a creature-focused deck. I can see some interesting plays based around it though... like "I cast Supreme Verdict" "Alright, then I pop my Legion's initiative in response." "Good, I counter my own Supreme Verdict and swing in for the win."

Also, I don't think it'll help much with Verdict in the current standard. Most decks running Verdict are also running Snapcaster from what I've seen. As such, they're just bring in Snap the next turn and re-verdict after the initiative is off the field.

Umm that can't happen, first you can't counter supreme verdict, second the dudes come in at the beginning of the next combat step so you can't force them to pop it and then swing in for the win

Also of note in the WRU flash decks, this also gives you a go around on resto angel, augar and snap caster etb effects as well as using it in combo with supreme verdict, to whit, pop it play verdict you creatures come down at the start of the combat step ready to attack.

So many applications for this card, I really like it

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”