Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby WickedBoy6 » 19 Mar 2014, 20:11

Just installed it on Chrome, and I have to say...very useful.
Credit to Foxmar
asteriskreaper
First Video: friday night - untap

Postby asteriskreaper » 20 Mar 2014, 04:49

I cant find it for firefox
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." -the Laughing Man
"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey... you should see me in a crown... "-James Moriarty(Sherlock)
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 20 Mar 2014, 05:26

Cool, that's useful. It's also got a black/whitelist so you can turn it off everywhere but places where you want it to work!
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 21 Mar 2014, 12:10

The blacklist is very picky for me and I don't know why. I have Wizards blacklisted and that works fine, but a site like CardKingdom is not affected. Oh well, it hasn't gotten in the way of my store browsing yet.

asteriskreaper wrote:I cant find it for firefox

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... to-linker/
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 21 Mar 2014, 12:28

I switched to a whitelist and added LoadingReadyRun.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 22 Mar 2014, 06:34

Okay, after having a jolly good sort through my collection, finding some decent priced rares and making some trades with people in my local scene, I've managed to make some improvements (I think) to my commander deck. As was reccommended Teysa has been ousted as my commander in favour of Obzedat, Ghost Council, and I've made some changes to the bulk of the deck (just short of a dozen new cards in total, should improve the consistency of it a little).

I'm sure its still not perfect, and I won't know for certain if the new cards will actually work until I get a chance to throw them at someone, but I'm reasonably happy with how its shaping up!

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/obzedat- ... council-1/
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 22 Mar 2014, 11:39

I recommend putting some 'indestructible' effects, like Rootborn Defense, to help against board wipe. I'd also recommend putting in Wrath of God over Day of Judgement. The 'can't be regenerated' clause is relevant in commander, especially with stuff like Golgari Charm.

Also, a fun little combo if you get something like Rootborn in your deck: Tutor for Diabolic Tutor (or draw it, if you can). Play it for X=3. Get: Rootborn Defense, Wrath of God, and Grave Betrayal. Next turn, play the Betrayal. Assuming it doesn't get removed, play Wrath of God next turn, followed by Rootborn in response to the wrath. Gain control of all creatures on the board if your opponents can't counter it. Laugh.
The E
First Video: Buttstallation

Postby The E » 23 Mar 2014, 00:50

Did some trading and a few purchases, and have now arrived at what I believe to be a pretty good Angels deck: http://deckstats.net/decks/12897/72866-angelic-host

Any comments or suggestions?
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 23 Mar 2014, 03:17

It looks more like a Boros deck than Angels deck to me :D Seems fun to play though. Maybe you could add cards like Angelic Destiny or Call to Serve for more "divine" flavour?
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
The E
First Video: Buttstallation

Postby The E » 23 Mar 2014, 03:28

It started off as a Boros Deck, but has since evolved into being more Angel-based. I'd love to have stuff like Angelic Destiny, or Avacyn, or Archangel of Thune in there, but those are pretty pricey :D
There's also a slot reserved for Iroas when Journey into Nyx comes out.

Also, I sort of forgot to mention that it's a Commander deck with Gisela as Commander. There's a common theme to our local games where I'm generally considered harmless until I get to 7 and start killing things (mostly starting with the RB Olivia Voldaren deck, because nothing sucks like losing your Commander to her).
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 23 Mar 2014, 03:38

Yeah, Olivia Voldaren can really be really annoying.

Since I'm a huge fan of goblins I have put together a goblin tribal EDH deck a while ago. I'm still missing few cards like Goblin Piledriver but it's already quite playable. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-horde-29-12-13-1/. Unfortunately the commander metagmae in my local store is very competitive so my deck doesn't stand a chance against Kami of the Crescent Moon deck or Zur the Enchanter. But the look on my opponents faces when I suddenly set my combo and flood them with a horde of goblins it's priceless even if it happens only in 1 out of 10 games.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 23 Mar 2014, 20:03

Building a monowhite tribal soldiers over the next little bit for French-list 1on1.
Gonna have to play it out a bunch to determine which general I prefer -- Brimaz for always value or Odric for wincon.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
DwarfMage328
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby DwarfMage328 » 25 Mar 2014, 17:06

the3rdH0kage
First Video: Untap

Postby the3rdH0kage » 25 Mar 2014, 19:23

Here's what I've been messing around with

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/draw-all ... kusar-edh/
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 25 Mar 2014, 23:16

Notion Thief seems like a nonbo with Nekusar unless you've got a sac outlet to get rid of her when you start trying to punish people for card draw. I'd go Crypt Ghast in that slot instead.

edit to add:
The Ghast also gives you a must-answer creature, as the mana accel and Extort are definitely relevant in multi-player. He'll take a removal spell or two from your opponents instead of another of your creatures.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 26 Mar 2014, 01:27

It's a nonbo with Nekusar, but it combos with the rest of the deck (at least, the rest of my version).

Wheel of Fortune 2R
Each player discards their hand. You draw 28 cards.

Seems deece.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 26 Mar 2014, 09:27

Kapol wrote:I recommend putting some 'indestructible' effects, like Rootborn Defense, to help against board wipe. I'd also recommend putting in Wrath of God over Day of Judgement. The 'can't be regenerated' clause is relevant in commander, especially with stuff like Golgari Charm.

Also, a fun little combo if you get something like Rootborn in your deck: Tutor for Diabolic Tutor (or draw it, if you can). Play it for X=3. Get: Rootborn Defense, Wrath of God, and Grave Betrayal. Next turn, play the Betrayal. Assuming it doesn't get removed, play Wrath of God next turn, followed by Rootborn in response to the wrath. Gain control of all creatures on the board if your opponents can't counter it. Laugh.

That sounds hilariously brilliant, I'll definitely have to check if my LGS has rootborn in their boxes of commons.

Getting a bunch of extra MTG precons for my birthday in just under a month, so I'll see if I've got anything nifty in that lot that's worth adding as well.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 26 Mar 2014, 10:04

I made a thing. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rugby-13-03-14-1/

Combines my two passions, Rugby and MTG, the mana is terrible and some of the cards are even worse but it plays some interesting cards that don't get played usually and was a ton of fun to make.

If you are looking for something more functional that actually does stuff like synergy I'm running this deck a lot at the moment http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/xenagod-of-value/.

Killing everyone with a Hydra Omnivore is fun or the moment people realise that yes, Malignus is indeed lethal to everyone on the table. Nice thing is the deck actually functions without the general which some of the other decks I have built around the gods just don't.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
the3rdH0kage

Postby the3rdH0kage » 27 Mar 2014, 21:31

madAlric wrote:Notion Thief seems like a nonbo with Nekusar unless you've got a sac outlet to get rid of her when you start trying to punish people for card draw. I'd go Crypt Ghast in that slot instead.

edit to add:
The Ghast also gives you a must-answer creature, as the mana accel and Extort are definitely relevant in multi-player. He'll take a removal spell or two from your opponents instead of another of your creatures.

From playing the deck I've found that I generally have a way to get rid of the Notion Thief when it gets troublesome, or the opponent just kills it when they want to draw cards. I'll take it out and test Crypt Ghast a bit. It's nice with the Thief and Teferi's Puzzle Box out. Opponent goes from a huge hand to 1.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 27 Mar 2014, 22:53

They go from a huge hand to none, actually. The puzzle box triggers at the start of the draw step, but drawing a card is a turn based action, and happens first, before the trigger is put on the stack. The notion thief ignores this first draw, but then they put their hand on the bottom, and draw none, while you draw a bunch.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
the3rdH0kage

Postby the3rdH0kage » 28 Mar 2014, 07:40

korvys wrote:They go from a huge hand to none, actually. The puzzle box triggers at the start of the draw step, but drawing a card is a turn based action, and happens first, before the trigger is put on the stack. The notion thief ignores this first draw, but then they put their hand on the bottom, and draw none, while you draw a bunch.

oh, that's helpful.
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 28 Mar 2014, 08:50

I'm used to people running Nekusar with megrim, Lilliana's Caress, and the quest (I can't remember the name of it), so I'm used to the deck wanting to make everyone draw all of the cards. If Notion Thief is working for you, keep it. I'm not the guy who knows your deck. I just play a crap-ton of Cmdr.
the3rdH0kage

Postby the3rdH0kage » 28 Mar 2014, 22:09

I plan on putting in Megrim, and Caress, just need to find a copy of each. `
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 02 Apr 2014, 20:15

Is is possible to run Withengar as a commander?
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 02 Apr 2014, 21:26

Nope. He can't be cast as night side, and his day side isn't a creature.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”