Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby WickedBoy6 » 12 May 2014, 16:57

Peasent EDH? Sounds fun as hell. Count me in! Though, how many Legendary uncommons could there be?

*checks*

63. Not bad. Granted, some of them were rares, then reprinted as uncommons or vice verse - how would that work in rulings? - but it looks interesting enough. As I said before, sign me up.

EDIT: After looking through Gatherer, I see some major players. While the majority are flip Kamigawas and dual-color vanillas from Legends, I found six nice possible Commanders:

Ihsan's Shade: 5/5 for 3BBB Prot White keeps Swords and the like off of his beefy ass.
Eron the Relentless: 5/2 for 3RR Haste Regen. High attack, can attack, and can regen if he attacks a brick wall
Lady Caleria: 3/6 for 3WWGG isn't really good, but it taps to deal 3 damage to attacker or blocker. Could be fun?
Livonya Silone: 4/4 for 2RRGG, first strike and Legendary Landwalk, which may be a gigantic blowout in EDH, even outside of Peasent.
Stangg: Obvious bang for your buck, giving you 2 3/4s at 4RG
Finally, Tuknir Deathlock: Nice name for an otherwise unimpressive 2/2 for RRGG, but for RG and tap, give +2/+2 to something.
Credit to Foxmar
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 May 2014, 17:25

WickedBoy6 wrote:Spells, though, are a bit harder. I'm thinking mass-tageting artifacts and enchantments, like Coat of Arms, Door of Destinies, Konda's Banner, Urza's Incubator, Dictate of Heliod, etc. Adaptive Automaton could technically be another Muscle/Predatory/Sinew Sliver. Any ideas/suggestions?
The changeling instants are a good place to start. Also, if you get Homing Sliver out, they will indeed have SliverCycling while in your hand.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 12 May 2014, 17:37

I had no idea about Changeling instants, but they're actually pretty awesome. All of them, really. I'm also adding in the Sanctuaries that they brought up on TTC that were in Cam's Rainbow Commander deck. Since I'm either going with Queen, Legion, or Overlord - probably the Overlord - those Sanctuaries are gonna be amazing.
Credit to Foxmar
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 13 May 2014, 14:43

So I've added all of my finished original commander decks to my tappedout profile.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated. Keep in mind that I'm somewhat wary of tutors, as I don't want any deck to be too consistent; I'd rather have a fun game over a powerful deck.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 13 May 2014, 16:21

You made a Commander deck out of every God? You mad, magnificent bastard!
Credit to Foxmar
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 May 2014, 20:22

Why no Karona in the deck, though?

Edit: I am a derp and don't know how to read that site correctly.
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 13 May 2014, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 13 May 2014, 20:44

It is. Karona's the Commander. So, it went from an All-Gods EDH deck to "You-may-as-well-just-scoop-now" EDH deck. No Sactuaries, though.
Credit to Foxmar
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 14 May 2014, 04:41

Soo how bout that Selvala, is it bad that I would rather cultivate every single time, fits well in a pheldagriff group hug deck though.

Also I have made a deck for every god! Just need the gods themselves now, come on Sealed luck don't fail me now!
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 14 May 2014, 04:55

Not sure about Selvala. She seems okay, she needs some support to be good, and she needs dedication to be great.

Yeah, the Karona deck can be a beater sometimes. It's also important to make sure you've got an indestructible blocker before you cast Karona, as your opponents will just beat you in the face for 8 damage a turn with your own commander otherwise.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 14 May 2014, 05:41

Well, the Gods are indestructible. Plus, I love how Karona can, itself, give off two devotion to ANY God.
Credit to Foxmar
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 14 May 2014, 05:55

If You want a general that provides devotion i'm pretty sure Progenitus is your, man/thing/many-headed immortal hydra god
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 14 May 2014, 08:02

I think Selvala is interesting, primarily because I'm not sure what to think about that Parley mechanic.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 14 May 2014, 09:20

I'm pretty "meh" overall on Parley at this point. I assume it will always be revealing the top card and then doing something based on the number of nonlands. The problem I see with this is that the effect is only increased (and therefore usually made better) when there are a lot of players, but a lot of players makes the game slower. I see Parley being used as more of a draw effect with an added bonus, and not "Oh this is awesome, plus I get to draw a card!". Basically, I see the card draw as being more important than the effect.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 14 May 2014, 16:34

I'd have to see more Conspiracy to really judge how I feel about Parley. I mean, as of right now, it's just on the one card. I know there'll be more, but just based on the Selvala, it seems decent, but I wouldn't use her as a Commander.

Brago, on the other hand...
Credit to Foxmar
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 14 May 2014, 23:08

WickedBoy6 wrote:Peasent EDH? Sounds fun as hell. Count me in! Though, how many Legendary uncommons could there be?

Where I play your commander doesn't have to be legendary -- any uncommon creature can act as your general. Some popular picks are guildmages (either the original rav block ones, or the RtR ones), but obviously there's plenty of good uncommons to pick from.

There's a small banlist we came up with for our flgs (for both commanders and several cards that warped the format too much), but it's definitely picking up some momentum.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 15 May 2014, 17:31

Del wrote:Where I play your commander doesn't have to be legendary -- any uncommon creature can act as your general. Some popular picks are guildmages (either the original rav block ones, or the RtR ones), but obviously there's plenty of good uncommons to pick from.

Oh...well, that solves the problem of only having a "5 good Commanders" pool. For goofiness purposes, I'd probably make a 5-color and use Fusion Elemental. Just for shiggles, and to see if it could be done.
Credit to Foxmar
Grimdrome
First Video: Crapshots Ep.23 - The Accusation

Postby Grimdrome » 17 May 2014, 07:50

So I'm making my first commander deck and I want to make a dragon deck with Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund. I'm basically the embodiment of Timmy and I wanted suggestions for other, non-dragon cards that would fit well and still let me make it to the point where I can play my dragons.

My play group is basically going to be a bunch of people that have also never played Commander before.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 17 May 2014, 14:57

Well, might I say, welcome to Commander - and also welcome to the Forums, given the post count - and might I say, a very nice choice for a Commander card. Dragons can be a bit unruly, and expensive, but Commander's all about two things: popping combos early, or going in for the very long haul. Against an early combo deck, nothing but another combo deck will work, so glad to see you're taking the latter approach.

As for non-Dragon cards that work with Dragons, might I suggest the following:

Bladewing's Thrall - 3/3 for 4 might be meh, but with dragons, it gets flying, and no-cost recursion is very nice.
Crucible of Fire - The fatties get fatter
Dragonmaster Outcast - This card belongs in ANY Dragon-type deck, Commander or otherwise. It's just good.
Dragonspeaker Shaman - Since Dragons are expensive, this makes them much more manageable, and at cost of 3, you can get some nice fats out by the following turn.
Dragonstorm - While something THIS expensive with the Storm mechanic might seem a bit...limiting, to say the least, Commander's all about the fast mana, so getting to 9 isn't terribly hard. It's Storming up to 3 or 4 to make the spell worth it. In that end, I suggest Charms, mainly of the Darigaaz's, Golgari, Gruul, Rakdos, and Jund variety.

Finally, we have the Planeswalkers. While there's 20 that could fit, only two really work for you: Sarkhan Vol, and Sarkhan the Mad. Sarkhan Vol gives your dragons more beef - as if they need it - can take potential blockers out of the way, or Uiltimate into some stall-breaking wins. Sarkhan the Mad is just...mad. You can Ultimate him the second he drops, and have every dragon you control burninate the countryside, and STILL attack if that wasn't enough to win.

Hope these tips help, and remember: Keep it Casual.
Credit to Foxmar
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 19 May 2014, 02:36

If you really want to go deep on Dragonstorm (And heeeeeeere's Johnny) then stick in some 0 mana Kobolds and Cloudstone Curio for INFINITE DRAGONS.
Grimdrome
First Video: Crapshots Ep.23 - The Accusation

Postby Grimdrome » 19 May 2014, 14:49

Thanks for those suggestions those all look like awesome cards to put in. I was also thinking of putting in death by dragons. Maybe adding some kind of blink effect for my commander too. My knowledge of cards is pretty small so I was wondering if there was a card I could add that could do that but still be useful without that little combo.
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 19 May 2014, 18:43

I have finally made it:
Bearforce One
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 19 May 2014, 18:49

I LOVE Gaddock Teeg as the commander for this deck, but many of these creatures you're running are entirely too good. *cough* Craterhoof Behemoth *cough*
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 19 May 2014, 19:42

Man, playing Teeg as your commander is a quick way to get a lot of hate around my LGS.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 19 May 2014, 20:10

Teeg's a problem, but not one we haven't learned to deal with. With extreme prejudice.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 19 May 2014, 20:51

While boardwipers are never the answer, I can see a LOT of small removal taking him out. Swords, Terminate, Vindicate. Problem is, with such a low CMC, Teeg is gonna come back. A lot.
Credit to Foxmar

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”