Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby WickedBoy6 » 29 Jul 2014, 23:25

J_S_Bach wrote:I'm currently working on building a five colour commander deck around the fifteen gods of Theros. But I'm unsure of where the temples fall into the duplicate spell rule. Is it ONLY basic land you're allowed multiples of; or are you allowed multiples of any kind of land?

Funny thing is, I am ALSO doing the same thing. Originally led by Karona, I wasn't comfortable with a False God leading the Pantheon. Only the true Soul of the World could bring the Gods into battle. Originally I had Temples in there for flavor, but even with the Scrying, I felt that it was just too slow. With the numerous random color pairings, you need any mana at any time.

We should talk and exchange ideas.
Credit to Foxmar
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 30 Jul 2014, 05:35

This is my Karona mono-god build; it's pretty shaky now because I have some slots filled with "I wanted to put this in the deck" that should be filled instead with mana fixing.
J_S_Bach
First Video: I honestly can't remember.

Postby J_S_Bach » 30 Jul 2014, 09:52

I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to pull this deck together. At first I was afraid it might be unplayable. I am using Karona, False God as my commander, though only for flavour reasons and I do have a Child of Alara sitting in the deck as in my playgroup a little bit of potential board wipe never hurts. Here is my current deck list. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/untitled-gods/

I also have 8 other Commander decks built around other Theros gods that I'll be working on putting up on Tapped Out, I'd really appreciate feedback on those once I have them up.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 30 Jul 2014, 13:58

tamaness wrote:This is my Karona mono-god build; it's pretty shaky now because I have some slots filled with "I wanted to put this in the deck" that should be filled instead with mana fixing.

I worry about your ability to get your devotions up high enough to get everything running. I get that the gods should feed off each other here and pump each other's devotion up, but even so.
J_S_Bach

Postby J_S_Bach » 30 Jul 2014, 14:13

I finally got all of my decklists up. I'd really appreciate some feed back (and name suggestions). I don't get a lot of chance to play commander as Modern seems to be the most popular format here.

http://tappedout.net/users/J_S_Bach/
J_S_Bach

Postby J_S_Bach » 30 Jul 2014, 14:35

WickedBoy6 wrote: Originally led by Karona, I wasn't comfortable with a False God leading the Pantheon. Only the true Soul of the World could bring the Gods into battle.

I've only being playing since last November so I don't know any of the older cards, what card is it you're using as your Commander?
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 30 Jul 2014, 15:58

Progenitus. I know, hard to cast, but even harder to kill. Plus, he gives off 4 devotion triggers to any God on his own, and I intend to put Fist of Suns in the deck, which'll cut his casting time in half. Crystal Quarry will also filter 5 of any land into one of each color, so that's another fixing piece. I just wonder if 31 lands might be too limiting for you. Granted, you have some other mana-producers, but I still think 31 lands might be a bit too small. Maybe bump it to 35, minimum?

tamaness wrote:This is my Karona mono-god build; it's pretty shaky now because I have some slots filled with "I wanted to put this in the deck" that should be filled instead with mana fixing.

Very interesting. It's pretty close to the build I'm in the middle of. I'd probably pitch the Vivids, only if you can get your hands on stuff like Mana Confluence or Command Tower. Anything else that can produce one-of-any-mana. I know the Vivids can, but the fact that they're CIPT may slow it down just a hair.

JackSlack wrote:I worry about your ability to get your devotions up high enough to get everything running. I get that the gods should feed off each other here and pump each other's devotion up, but even so.

Just like in my deck, Tamaness is using the Spirit Avatars. They're all 5CMC creatures that are 5 mana of each split-mana symbols. While they can't produce 10 devotion - either 5 of one or 5 of the other - all you need is five for each God (and they give one of their own) and seven for each Demigod (which give two on their own), so all you need is five. The cool thing is, with the devotion they give out, one Spirit Avatar can independently turn on 9 of the 15 Gods, all on it's own. They fit the bill nicely, and a LOT of them have amazingly awesome abilities. It's a pretty easy way to go.
Credit to Foxmar
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 30 Jul 2014, 17:52

In practice, though, even when you've got them in hand, they're pretty hard to cast. I can usually get the mana to get Karona online, but not cast one of the Avatars. Also, the vivids are fine in my playgroup because there's usually a deck drawing attention turns before I need to start casting anything.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 30 Jul 2014, 18:23

True. Well, you have Chromatic Lantern, which is always a plus. Lotus Bloom and Gilded Lotus could help with that, as well. Prismatic Omen could also really work wonders.
Credit to Foxmar
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 31 Jul 2014, 18:12

Oh, that feeling you get when you put one of your long-time favorite EDH decks on Tapped Out and they tell you that you're short a card. So, anyone have any suggestions for good green dudes to throw in there? Obviously, there must be something I'm missing.

Also, I need to buy new card sleeves for this deck, since I can't find extras of the silver sleeves I used. Now if only the LRR store would get the Zones mat back in...
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 31 Jul 2014, 19:33

Well, I guess it depends on what you need. If you need some card draw, Elvish Visionary or Multani's Acolyte fit the bill. Damia, Sage of Stone could be fun, but you're kind of locked into how you draw, which could be a problem *coughNekusarcough*. Bane of Progress is a massive board-wipe of enchantment and artifacts that gets a big body.

Speaking of green beef, if you just need some big, fat bodies, then there's so many choices.Vigor for creature protection, Craterhoof Behemoth for a good game-ender, Hydra Omnivore specifically for EDH games - especially if you can slip some sort of infect on him - Myojin of Life's Web for indestructability and massive creature drops, Terastodon for big beef, possible card destruction, and maybe even multiple creatures, Vorinclex for massive mana ramp, and Worldspine Wurm for the biggest beef legal in EDH.
Credit to Foxmar
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 31 Jul 2014, 19:43

Largely, I wanted beef that can sit in my graveyard to be fed to Mimeo, which is definitely not the Spine of the World. And then I looked at my list and slapped myself for not running Terastodon.

Now, I need to get the sleeves...
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 31 Jul 2014, 20:58

Well, Dragon Shield is still the standard I go behind, but I'll grab some Ultra Pro Pro-Mattes in a pinch, since they're a bit cheaper. I have some Legion ones for my Bosh EDH, and while I heard Legions can really mess up later on, I haven't had a problem yet. To outfit a Commander deck with Legion would be around the same price as Dragon Shields, maybe a hair less, depending on where you look. I guess it all depends on budget, but these videos helped me out a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bu1h0gtu2U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Z3-VK5R5A
Credit to Foxmar
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 07 Aug 2014, 01:03

I have an idea. It is very stupid. Maybe more stupid than my current deck.

The Bioware Theme Deck!

Every goddamn choice card in MtG in one Commander deck! Turn one Vexing Devil: Who wants to pay four life? Anybody? Will of the Council A-Go-Go! So on, so forth.

I might also instead call it Crowdsourcing: The MtG Deck. You choose how I play!

But I'm at a loss for a Commander. Diaochan would be the obvious pick, but she limits my options with colour a lot.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 07 Aug 2014, 03:37

I have decided it's time for a Kruphix deck. That's right, Kruphix.

I put a Zhurr-Ta ancient in my standard deck on a whim, and discovered something very interesting: If you double everyone's mana, it's not really a problem if you have better things to do with it than they do.

So the deck is essentially going to be a hydra deck, running a lot of blue and green x-cost spells, ramp, and heartbeat of spring effects, the basic principle being pile up a huge amount of mana and then unleash something silly. Or several silly things.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 10 Aug 2014, 09:40

JackSlack wrote:I have an idea. It is very stupid. Maybe more stupid than my current deck.

The Bioware Theme Deck!

Every goddamn choice card in MtG in one Commander deck! Turn one Vexing Devil: Who wants to pay four life? Anybody? Will of the Council A-Go-Go! So on, so forth.

I might also instead call it Crowdsourcing: The MtG Deck. You choose how I play!

But I'm at a loss for a Commander. Diaochan would be the obvious pick, but she limits my options with colour a lot.

I think you're going to need a 5 colour commander to really hit all the classic choice spells. Clearly you need red for all the "take damage or I get awesome" cards. Then you need white for most of the awesome voting stuff from conspiracy. Then you need blue for your Fact or Fiction style effects. Finally you need black for your "cruel choice" style cards like Desecration Demon and Indulgent Tormentor. Green I think ends up not coming into it so much but you might as well go the full 5 at that point.

Maybe Child of Alara for the ultimate choice: "Do you want me not to have my commander or do you want to have non-land permanents?"
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 13 Aug 2014, 01:24

Green doesn't have any Will of the Council cards either. Still, nice. I can kind of get behind that Commander. :) I'll start thinking about it and see what I can do. Given I've only just finished one deck (and haven't played it yet) this is just my next mental project right now.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 13 Aug 2014, 17:57

I had an idea similar to this one. White/Black, every Extort card, every Will of the Council in White and Black, Bragos Representative, Grudge Keeper, with Obzedat, Ghost Council as my Commander, and it's called "The Extortion Racket". Thank you, Jer, for the name. :D
Credit to Foxmar
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 13 Aug 2014, 18:41

Hey guys, I spent most of the afternoon putting together a budget-casual blue/black clone control list with plenty of help from Jamfalcon. I call it "I Drink Your Milkshake." Could use some feedback:

COMMANDER
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind

CREATURES
Body Double
Dimir Doppelganger
Big Game Hunter
Evil Twin
Clone
Typhoid Rats
Wall of Souls
Hypnotic Specter
Phyrexian Metamorph
Phantasmal Image
Quicksilver Gargantuan
Cryptoplasm
Elite Arcanist
Echo Mage
Fog Bank
Guard Gomozoa
Shriekmaw
Augur of Bolas
Pack Rat
Gray Merchant of Asphodel
Baleful Force
Wall of Frost
Vampire Nighthawk
Royal Assassin
Mulldrifter
Merfolk Looter
Rune-Scarred Demon
Archetype of Imagination
Hover Barrier
Frost Titan
Grave Titan
Inkwell Leviathan
TOTAL: 31

INSTANTS/SORCERIES
Go for the Throat
Doom Blade
Terror
Hero's Downfall
Far and Away
Redirect
Illusionist's Gambit
Ponder
Serum Visions
Brainstorm
Diabolic Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Beacon of Unrest
Rite of Replication
Dominate
Decree of Pain
In Garruk's Wake
Cyclonic Rift
TOTAL: 18

ENCHANTMENTS
Control Magic
Mind Control
Volition Reins
Treachery
Propaganda
Coastal Piracy
TOTAL: 6

ARTIFACTS:
Dimir Signet
Dimir Keyrune
Darksteel Ingot
Spine of Ish Sah
Whispersilk Cloak
Lightning Greaves
Darksteel Plate
TOTAL:8

LANDS
Drowned Catacombs
Temple of Deceit
Dimir Guildgate
Dimir Aqueduct
17 Swamp
15 Island
TOTAL: 36

TOTAL: 100 cards
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
BarcodeReader
First Video: Arms Race
Location: The lowest, deepest, darkest, SE-most corner of Iowa.

Postby BarcodeReader » 14 Aug 2014, 17:23

Hey, All. I've been wanting to put together a Bird/Soldier Tribal deck, but I can't quite decide whether to go Mono-White with
or to do Bant with

They are both very different decks that would share around 50 of the total 99 cards, the one being more focused, but less flexibility and utility, and the other allowing more options but not having as synergistic of a commander, but I can't figure out which would be better...

"Great Paul's Bunyan, he's strong as an Ox!"
"But I have no horns... Or lumberjack friends..."

(Art by http://tominalley.deviantart.com/)
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 15 Aug 2014, 03:39

Simple, go with Derevi, because, you know, he's a Bird Wizard.
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 15 Aug 2014, 04:24

build both decks.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Aug 2014, 04:28

If you do Derevi, you can still have Eesha in your deck.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

BarcodeReader
First Video: Arms Race
Location: The lowest, deepest, darkest, SE-most corner of Iowa.

Postby BarcodeReader » 15 Aug 2014, 10:20

Maybe I'll just go modular, collect all the pieces for both decks, and just swap between them whenever I get bored with a variant.

Minor secondary problems show up when I notice that nearby commander groups are essentially non-existant. 45 Mins to the nearest LGS, an hour to the nearest one that hosts commander players. :/

"Great Paul's Bunyan, he's strong as an Ox!"
"But I have no horns... Or lumberjack friends..."

(Art by http://tominalley.deviantart.com/)
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 15 Aug 2014, 12:03

I solve that problem by keeping multiple decks on me at a time. Seriously, I've got 11 of them in my mtg bag (including an Infect one I'm slowly working on).

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”