Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby tamaness » 31 Aug 2014, 14:46

I'd cut the guildgates for City of Brass, Mana Confluence, Reflecting Pool, Exotic Orchard, and Rupture Spire (so you've got more 5-color sources). It also looks like your mana base is a bit heavy on U and G, and a bit light on B and W.

Five-color is tough to figure out sometimes. I still haven't figured it out in my Karona deck.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 31 Aug 2014, 17:25

@Tamaness: Took half your advice; added in some cheap Zendikar duals in place of those guildgates with no green, and then put in five colour lands on the others. Seemed a good compromise.
Rose_Nightshade
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Rose_Nightshade » 01 Sep 2014, 21:28

Kay, so. I'm building a Boros colored Dragon & Soldier Commander Deck, the theme is surrounding the life and current rule of Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones. Haven't discussed it with anyone but the boyfriend, brother, and close friends thus far, but wanted to get some feedback and have some discussion about it, if anyone is in the mood. :)

Some picks may seem stupid/confusing, but my excuse is deck theme - which I'm trying to stick to as closely as possible mostly with the way the art on the cards looks (Which is the ONLY reason I still have a Dragon Egg in there...) - but I hope the meh picks on there aren't TOO horrible? (Some cards are off-theme because it's the best choice I had for, like, removal or such. So I'm not 100% against off-theme cards, but I'm trying to have as many on theme or close to theme as possible.)

This is the first Commander deck I've built (I'm home brewing not referencing any lists and don't want to) and I've been having alot of fun at every step of the process thus far!

Anyways here's the decklist:

Red:
1 Chandra, the Firebrand
1 Crucible of Fire
1 Dragonstorm
1 Akroan Crusader
1 Warstorm Surge
1 Titan of Eternal Fire
1 Dragon Egg
1 Moonveil Dragon
1 Ancient Hellkite
1 Balefire Dragon
1 Utvara Hellkite
1 Flameblast Dragon
1 Siege Dragon
1 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Preyseizer Dragon
1 Volcanic Geyser
1 Archetype of Aggression
1 Insurrection
1 Dragon Roost

White:
1 Pacifism
1 Aegis of the Gods
1 Veteran Swordsmith
1 Veteran Armorer
1 Excoriate
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Piety Charm
1 Unified Strike
1 Indestructibility
1 Acolyte's Reward
1 Intangible Virtue
1 Path of Bravery
1 Launch the fleet
1 Fencing Ace
1 Intrepid Hero
1 Akroan Phalanx
1 Revoke Existance
1 Preeminent Captain
1 Gideon, Champion of Justice
1 Cathars' Crusade
1 Archetype of Courage
1 Reveille Squad
1 Daru Warchief
1 Captain of the Watch
1 Alabaster Dragon
1 Champion of the Parish
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Gideon's Avenger

Multicolor:
1 Iroas, God of Victory
1 Tajic, Blade of the Legion
1 Legion's Initiative
1 Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer
1 Anax and Cymede
1 Gleam of Battle
1 Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran

Artifacts:
1 Argentum Armor
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Door of Destinies
1 Belbe's Portal
1 Vedalken Orrery

Nonbasic Lands:
1 Kabria Crossroads
1 Sejiri Steppe
1 Secluded Steppe
1 Forbidding Watchtower
1 Daru Encampment
1 Shivan Gorge
1 Slayer's Stronghold
1 Boros Garrison
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Keldon Megaliths
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Cathedral of War
1 Temple of Triumph
1 Command Tower
1 Transguild Promenade

12 Mountains
9 Plains

Commander: 1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight

So in Summary:
36 dudes
26 spells
1 commander
37 lands

I feel like my land count is low, and I'm not sure if I should weight it more towards red anyway because there's alot of double and a couple triple dot red cards, but I'm having a seriously hard time eliminating some cards, and just dunno who I should put to the axe. I already own most of the cards on the above list, these are the only ones that I haven't got ahold of yet (and only because I've been refraining from buying online thus far):

Preyseizer Dragon
Insurrection
Gideon's Avenger
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Dragon Roost
Champion of the Parish
Alabaster Dragon
Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran

I'm not really on a budget or anything, but just as a personal goal, don't really want to spend more than $20 on any single card, though I'll have to if I need to with, like, say Elspeth. I've lucked out and gotten a bunch of these cards in packs I've opened and some cards I already had in my collection from back in the day. I came to this deck list after culling from a huge pool of card choices, but I'm still eager to hear other people's thoughts/ideas for suggestions on the deck, as it might make me reconsider prior cuts I've made or look at cards I hadn't even considered. :)

As reference for my knowledge base/where I'm coming from; I'm a returning player (rejoined the game in fall of last year, played originally for a year or so back in 1998) so I admittedly don't have a lot of experience or knowledge yet, though I'm trying my best to get there, so please be relatively gentle?

If you think a card is crap, I WOULD very very much like to know, but the reason WHY it's crap would be most helpful for me, as would suggestions of "this other thing, or this thing would be better".

There’s a GP coming up in October in Orlando that me an the boyfriend are going to, and I'm hoping to pick up the last few cards we need for our decks there, so I’m trying to fine tune my decklist before then, though I feel like I’ve finalized it as best as I’m currently capable of doing, so, yeah, that’s why I’m looking for some outside opinions/help from others. :) Thanks for reading all this junk!
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 01 Sep 2014, 23:06

tamaness wrote:Five-color is tough to figure out sometimes. I still haven't figured it out in my Karona deck.

Don't I know it. I had to take my Allies deck from 5-Color to Bant, because I didn't have the mana right. I might give it a try when I get more shocks, and now that Fetches are coming back.

I was actually able to fix a LOT of my decks on TappedOut, due to the mana wheel on the right of the screen. It shows the amount of symbols showing up on cards, the amount of mana producers you have, and shows off a nice pie for both against one another. Just being able to edit on the fly to make them match up as close as possible worked wonders on a few decks I have.
Credit to Foxmar
ThyLordQ
First Video: How to talk like a pirate

Postby ThyLordQ » 03 Sep 2014, 11:13

Khans of Tarkir having hound people makes me super happy.
Kresh and his Dogs of War may be getting a severe change-up soon, but gonna be raaaad.
jedijon110
First Video: strip search

Postby jedijon110 » 04 Sep 2014, 17:38

ok i need advice on my jeski control deck what can be cut what can be added and general thoughts http://deckstats.net/decks/21149/123117 ... d=1&lng=en
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 04 Sep 2014, 22:35

@Jedijon110: My immediate thought looking at your mana curve is that you seem weak at the 2 spot, so I'd save anything there.

What style of play are you imagining with it? Is this designed for highly competitive games or looser dumb fun style games?
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 07 Sep 2014, 05:08

So I got a Spanish Mikaeus the Lunarch on Friday and I want to build a deck called the Spanish Inquisition now. I need suggestions on what to put into this deck.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 07 Sep 2014, 05:50

probably cathars' crusade to start with, captain of the watch. Probably a whole bunch of clerics and soldiers, along with Heliod, as your god.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 07 Sep 2014, 14:07

Building a Prossh deck on account of the sad outings that my esper artifacts deck has had recently. Will post after I get my list cut down to 100.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 07 Sep 2014, 18:25

RadioshackRaider wrote:So I got a Spanish Mikaeus the Lunarch on Friday and I want to build a deck called the Spanish Inquisition now. I need suggestions on what to put into this deck.

I strongly recommend Witch Hunter, the most amazing red/blue card in mono white that nobody knows about because it's from the fuckin' Dark.

Also everything white with flash, because of reasons. I did a gatherer search and hit some gems.

Celestial Crusader - very in flavor
Cho-Manno's Blessing - amazing combat trick
Dictate of Heliod - esp. if Heliod is your god
Mageta's Boon/Indomitable Will - flash auras that just boost. Good combat tricks.
Masako the Humorless - massive luls, but allows you to be quite aggressive. Nobody will expect it.

There's a lot of good stuff there. The flash subtheme is an absolute must. In terms of Mikaeus synergy...really anything creature-oriented works. Huge armies of dudes is pretty strong, so token deck would work, or a more voltronnish thing also works.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 07 Sep 2014, 23:44

jkefka wrote:I strongly recommend Witch Hunter, the most amazing red/blue card in mono white that nobody knows about because it's from the fuckin' Dark.

...I used to own this card! I used to think it was dumb. "Oh, it can't hit creatures, Tim is so much better. And why would I want to bounce his creatures, he'll just recast them anyway."

Dammit, I was an idiot.
Credit to Foxmar
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 08 Sep 2014, 05:33

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/conclaves-favor/
I could use some help here, trying to get a good suite of enchantment removal into this deck without taking out too much of what makes the deck good, IE lifegain and tokens.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
The E
First Video: Buttstallation

Postby The E » 09 Sep 2014, 03:54

Rose_Nightshade wrote:Kay, so. I'm building a Boros colored Dragon & Soldier Commander Deck, the theme is surrounding the life and current rule of Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones. Haven't discussed it with anyone but the boyfriend, brother, and close friends thus far, but wanted to get some feedback and have some discussion about it, if anyone is in the mood. :)

*snip*

The deck looks mostly fine, I just have three suggestions:

1. Gisela is not that good as a Commander. Yes, she is powerful, and her effect is quite useful, but you'll end up not profiting from it a lot. I used to use her in my Boros Angels deck, and it turned out that whenever she was on the field, she'd be a prime removal target just before I could attack with her, or get taken over and punching me in the face.
As it turns out, Aurelia the Warleader works much, much better in my deck, and given that yours seems to involve a lot of big fat creatures punching face, she would enable you to punch twice as much face when she comes down (And, additionally, she comes down for 2RRWW and has haste and vigilance, meaning you'll be able to profit from her immediately).

2. Scourge of the Throne. Seriously. That dragon is amazing in every multiplayer game, and if you have Aurelia out stack your triggers correctly, you can end up punching face 3 times in a turn. Which is awesome.

3. Moonveil Dragon. Firebreathing is good. But paying for two firebreathers is a pain, so why not use Moonveil Dragon? Pay once, breathe fire everywhere. Bit hard to cast due to RRR in its manacost, but sooooo worth it.
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 09 Sep 2014, 11:59

RadioshackRaider wrote:So I got a Spanish Mikaeus the Lunarch on Friday and I want to build a deck called the Spanish Inquisition now. I need suggestions on what to put into this deck.

Proliferate artifacts and tokens are one way you could go. Soldiers and Humans also have strong subtypes for mono-white tribal options.

No matter what way you build mono-white, you will need efficient board protection and/or recovery. This means playing recursion & resurrect effects, or cards like Mobilization that get you back in the game faster.

Token specific cards:
Any Ajani printed
Captain of the Watch
Custodi Soulbinders
Cathar's Crusade
Hero of Bladehold
Intangible Virtue
Luminarch's Ascension
Mobilization
Fanatical Devotion
Last edited by Del on 09 Sep 2014, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Sep 2014, 12:02

I just realized how well Mobilization goes with First Response.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 13 Sep 2014, 12:29

I need to stop building Commander decks. I now have 14. All the guilds and 4 out of 5 mono coloured decks (No green)
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 13 Sep 2014, 13:09

RadioshackRaider wrote:I need to stop building Commander decks. I now have 14. All the guilds and 4 out of 5 mono coloured decks (No green)

But there are Wedges and Shards!
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 13 Sep 2014, 13:17

I plan on building all colour combos. I'm increibly annoyed there's no 4 coloured legends
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 13 Sep 2014, 21:49

32 color combinations (27 without the 4-color combos) - get hopping! Use a nephilim as the head of a 4-color, and have a 5-color legend on standby in case your playgroup doesn't want to allow the nephilim.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 14 Sep 2014, 00:17

tamaness wrote:32 color combinations (27 without the 4-color combos) - get hopping! Use a nephilim as the head of a 4-color, and have a 5-color legend on standby in case your playgroup doesn't want to allow the nephilim.

They'll make the 4 color legends at some point!
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 16 Sep 2014, 06:20

I might actually see if they'll let me use the Nephilim as commanders now. They'll probably agree
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 16 Sep 2014, 12:43

It hasn't come up yet, but among my play group we have a standing house rule that "legendary" is functional errata on the nephilim and they just haven't updated gatherer yet. My sense is that most playgroups are like that, especially with the new(er) legend rules making it very nearly irrelevant.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Rose_Nightshade
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Rose_Nightshade » 16 Sep 2014, 15:47

The E wrote:The deck looks mostly fine, I just have three suggestions:

1. Gisela is not that good as a Commander. Yes, she is powerful, and her effect is quite useful, but you'll end up not profiting from it a lot. I used to use her in my Boros Angels deck, and it turned out that whenever she was on the field, she'd be a prime removal target just before I could attack with her, or get taken over and punching me in the face.
As it turns out, Aurelia the Warleader works much, much better in my deck, and given that yours seems to involve a lot of big fat creatures punching face, she would enable you to punch twice as much face when she comes down (And, additionally, she comes down for 2RRWW and has haste and vigilance, meaning you'll be able to profit from her immediately).

2. Scourge of the Throne. Seriously. That dragon is amazing in every multiplayer game, and if you have Aurelia out stack your triggers correctly, you can end up punching face 3 times in a turn. Which is awesome.

3. Moonveil Dragon. Firebreathing is good. But paying for two firebreathers is a pain, so why not use Moonveil Dragon? Pay once, breathe fire everywhere. Bit hard to cast due to RRR in its manacost, but sooooo worth it.

Thanks for the input E! :3

1&2. Unfortunately cards that enable taking another turn are on my small play-group's very short list of "that's not fun to play against" mechanics (alongside milling), even though they're absolutely viable strategies and can be boss, we just don't have fun when we interact with them, so we try to avoid them in favor of other things.
That being said, I had considered Aurelia as a possible commander, and truthfully, I'll probably still pick up a copy of her as an alt card in case I find that Gisela keeps getting taken out or turns out to be underwhelming or both. It's never bad to have alts after all. :)
Scourge IS a super badarse dragon, one of my fav cards from Conspiracy. :D

3. Moonveil Dragon is totally on my list, ya must have overlooked it, but no worries, it IS super sweet, and a great suggestion if I didn't have it down yet. :D

Thanks for the input on a Commander alt and the two dragon suggestions! I really do appreciate the feedback :)

I'm super excited for possible new dragons and dragon-related things coming out in the next Khan's set, Fate Reforged! Who knows there might be some super great stuff there that's better than what I already have lined up, then I'll have to make even more tough choices. XD
The E
First Video: Buttstallation

Postby The E » 17 Sep 2014, 02:30

Rose_Nightshade wrote:1&2. Unfortunately cards that enable taking another turn are on my small play-group's very short list of "that's not fun to play against" mechanics (alongside milling), even though they're absolutely viable strategies and can be boss, we just don't have fun when we interact with them, so we try to avoid them in favor of other things.

Does "get an extra combat phase" fall under "take another turn"? I should think that extra combat phases are far less dangerous than extra turns, and Aurelia's and Scourge's abilities are worded in ways that make it rather difficult to go infinite on them (It can be done, obviously; if you have a way to blink Aurelia repeatedly, everything will be horrible for your opponents)

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”