Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
BarcodeReader
First Video: Arms Race
Location: The lowest, deepest, darkest, SE-most corner of Iowa.

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby BarcodeReader » 21 Dec 2014, 18:38

I recently realized that I had Narset in my collection, and I really want to build a deck around her. The problem is that I've already got something 8 decks (a kind of terrible yet endearing Izzet Burn deck and a somewhat interesting esper mill deck among them), and I'd almost have to get a Divining Top before I even start construction. Whats more, I don't even know what archetype I want her to run. Creatureless? Infinite Turns? Dovescape? Do I want to take apart my other blue decks for components? Any Assistance?

"Great Paul's Bunyan, he's strong as an Ox!"
"But I have no horns... Or lumberjack friends..."

(Art by http://tominalley.deviantart.com/)
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 21 Dec 2014, 21:01

RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 26 Dec 2014, 17:47

So this is the Narset deck that I've been working on. I'd probably have storm in it if I had any storm cards. I'm also not using the Omniscience/ Enter the Infinite combo cause I'm not Satan. Also, I'm a dumb for not actually including the list http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/narsets-crazy-8/
Last edited by RadioshackRaider on 27 Dec 2014, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 26 Dec 2014, 19:06

RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 26 Dec 2014, 19:20

I think my Playgroup would complain if I ran a deck that would cheat Omniscience into play. We already beat the Jhoira player into submission because he did it. I could though since I do have them in another deck. I don't even have a Top, Scroll rack, Isocron or Brainstorm. I wsh Ihad tonnes of Brainstorms though Maybe I should run Sphinx Bone Wand...
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 29 Dec 2014, 17:08

JackSlack wrote:Ooh, good one. :)

THE best one for this is Mentor of the Meek, which I have in there, but if I don't get him, it burns out its hand fast.

Since you're playing Teeg, I'd recommend Soul of the Harvest. He can get out a lot of cards, he's outside most burn range, and he kind of covers your top end nicely as a 6/6 trampler for 6. Plus, if you're just playing one or two drops, you can draw a lot of cards off creatures.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 29 Dec 2014, 18:23

chetoos wrote:

THE best one for this is Mentor of the Meek, which I have in there, but if I don't get him, it burns out its hand fast.

Since you're playing Teeg, I'd recommend Soul of the Harvest. He can get out a lot of cards, he's outside most burn range, and he kind of covers your top end nicely as a 6/6 trampler for 6. Plus, if you're just playing one or two drops, you can draw a lot of cards off creatures.

Don't forget Regal Force, which can also draw tons of cards.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 30 Dec 2014, 18:56

So I feel like completely rebuilding all of my Ravnica EDH decks. I have ideas on what kind of decks I want there to be as there all suppose to be played together, but I also want them to function well as their own decks. I want a Control deck, and Aggro deck, a token deck, a graveyard deck a Voltron build, and Group hug. I have to have all 4 Ravnica legends be involved, with 1 of them the general of each deck. Any ideas on the decks?
Gildan_Bladeborn

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 31 Dec 2014, 13:44

steric hindrance wrote:
chetoos wrote:

Don't forget Regal Force, which can also draw tons of cards.
Regal Force is much more of a "win more" card than reliable card draw, as it's a 1-shot ETB trigger rather than something that will keep happening over time; drawing a lot of cards is already contingent on having a bunch of creatures. Also it's triple green and 7 mana for a 5/5 with no other abilities besides that ETB card draw, and it only checks green creatures, and that deck list is predominantly white. So I would give Regal Force a miss in this situation. Primordial Sage on the other hand is another option, probably not as good as Soul of the Harvest most of the time, though the card draw is just triggered by casting any creature spell, not necessarily resolving it.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 08 Jan 2015, 09:13

So now that They've all been spoiled, what does everybody think about the New, or rather old, Khans?
BarcodeReader

Postby BarcodeReader » 09 Jan 2015, 04:38

Daghatar seems like the break out Commander pick, but all of them look sweet.

eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 09 Jan 2015, 21:22

So, for some reason I've decided to put together Ruhan Ascendancy "Combo" in EDH. When I narrow down my card pool to a reasonable list, I'll post it here, but until then, are there any cards I should consider that I might otherwise be overlooking? I've tried to get all of the cards in at least the Standard version(s) of the deck, so assume I have those.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 10 Jan 2015, 10:00

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but does anyone have any experience in deliberately running not very powerful commanders? The idea of appearing to be less of a threat in multiplayer politics has been working out quite well for me lately. A specific example:

I switched from Ghost Council of Obzedat to Ghost Council of Orzhova for my B/W haunted house deck, a move which in most respects - and certainly in opponent's opinion - is a downgrade. Yet since the move I've been the subject of much less aggression from across the table, therefore been able to get out my odd Whispering Shade + Blanket of Night (or whatever) win conditions, and have been winning a lot more games.

Sure people will get aggro for running really OP cards, but how far have any of you gone in purposefully downgrading your decks?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Jan 2015, 16:02

I will run Commanders that I don't even use sometimes, just to get the colors I need for the deck I want to build.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 11 Jan 2015, 08:59

The only facedown tutor I run is Planar Portal, I run either one or zero infinite combos, and I don't run "oops I win" combos. Other than that, I try to balance my decks between what's fun to pilot, what's fun to play against, and what doesn't slow the game to a crawl. I frequently lend my decks out, so I want to make sure they're fun to play even for someone inexperienced with the deck.

I have a couple exceptions to these rules: Venser is all counterspells, all the time; Ghave is a tuned engine in need of one or two good tutors to be excellent (it's able to scale to the table, though); Nekusar is gross and unfun; and I'm building unfair Sheoldred and Narset decks, and a Mimeoplasm Infect deck (been back-burnered for more than a year, though).
BarcodeReader

Postby BarcodeReader » 12 Jan 2015, 18:43

How do you guys deal with overly competitive commander players? Granted, I was playing at a Grand Prix, but I didn't realize how competitive it could get in the "casual" side events, and I am *not* a competitive commander player.

eostby

Postby eostby » 12 Jan 2015, 18:58

eostby wrote:So, for some reason I've decided to put together Ruhan Ascendancy "Combo" in EDH. When I narrow down my card pool to a reasonable list, I'll post it here, but until then, are there any cards I should consider that I might otherwise be overlooking? I've tried to get all of the cards in at least the Standard version(s) of the deck, so assume I have those.

Here's my trial list for the deck. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ruhan-ascendancy-combo/ Hope to get a chance to test it out in the next week or so.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 15 Jan 2015, 14:58

In the latest adventures of "Tinfish can't decide on a Commander deck", I've been considering Extort. It seems like it would be nasty in Commander. Is there anything I should consider in making an Extort Commander deck? It seems like the obvious one would be to have enough mana to cast Extort, and enough spells to trigger it, but maybe that's TOO obvious. I never played in Ravnica so I don't really know these things!
It's fish in a tin!
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 15 Jan 2015, 15:06

I've tried it in Commander, and it didn't seem overly powerful, but I'm sure there's a way to do it. The problem with Extort is there isn't a whole load of great cards with extort. If you tried it, I'd recommend a lot of life drain cards and ways to recycle your grave. An tons of black ramp.
eostby

Postby eostby » 15 Jan 2015, 15:27

Bit of warning: this is not my list, but it's a list of someone I know who loves Commander, and it somewhat features extort, so it might be what you're looking for: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-tic-taxes/ It's a 10 MTGO tickets deck, so if that fits what you're looking for, go nuts. I've seen it in action, and it can be pretty powerful.

chetoos

Postby chetoos » 20 Jan 2015, 10:15

So I just made an Ephara aggro deck. It mostly just voltron's out, but I can see that it could also do some other stuff. I'm interested to know everyone else's take on it.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 20 Jan 2015, 16:08

Seems like a sick deck. May I suggest the manifest Auras, Celestial Mantle and True Conviction?

Also, what sort of stuff are people looking forward to using in their decks that isn't the legends? Personally, Hero's Blade, Renowned Weaponsmith and the 1U Manifest removal spell are ones I'm quite happy about. The first 2 are Auto Includes in my Kemba and Muzzio decks, and the other one just seems fun.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 20 Jan 2015, 18:28

I'm undecided on whether or not I want to add Pilgrim Of The Fires to my Karn golem deck. I'd be taking out the Myr Battlesphere or something similar...
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 20 Jan 2015, 18:54

I'm thinking about making two different Commander decks at this point: Five-colour Dragons, and one I'll title Manimorphose - that being a five colour manifest and morph deck. I'm not sure which creatures to use as Commanders, though... I have a Sliver Hivelord and a Hivestone, so perhaps I could use that for one? I feel like that would throw people off.
eostby

Postby eostby » 20 Jan 2015, 19:25

I think one of your best options for the 5 color manifest/morph deck would be Cromat. He doesn't care a ton about the deck around him, but he's also not actively interfering with your gameplan. Also, the actual card is pretty cheap to acquire.

5 color dragons should probably be a Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck, but if you wanted something unusual, you could try Karona the False God instead.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”