Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Aviator Moonshine
First Video: In Command (Most likely)

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby Aviator Moonshine » 05 Aug 2015, 16:16

lazylantern wrote:Do you realize you cannot cast your general? The command zone is not your hand... you are basically running a 99 cards singleton deck right now.

He got Platinum Angel which should negate the trigger of Phage's ability.
lazylantern
First Video: The "unskippable" with Yatzhee

Postby lazylantern » 05 Aug 2015, 17:34

It seems very sketchy to me to require a removable creature on the field to summon your commander, which would be a moving piece of another combo.
I've seen the combo in the 99 of another commander but banking on this as the face of the deck is somewhat... odd. By the time you either cheat PA out or god forbid, cast her, you are very vulnerable to instant speed removal or board wipes.

Just saying, I'd personally run Erebos as commander and hide Phage in the 99. You are running black, the best tutoring color, you can use this to your advantage. The additional value of hosing life gain and to draw cards is invaluable.

Phage shennanigans were one of the things that was first presented to me when I started playing magic, it is right up my alley and I don't discourage them. I just think that her in the command zone is a liability.

Thanks for making me discover Deathrender thou. Didn't even know this thing existed.
In Brightest day, In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
let those.... ah hell you know the rest
Artirian_Legacy
First Video: Friday Nights- Untap

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 05 Aug 2015, 19:17

lazylantern wrote:Just saying, I'd personally run Erebos as commander and hide Phage in the 99. You are running black, the best tutoring color, you can use this to your advantage. The additional value of hosing life gain and to draw cards is invaluable.

Phage shennanigans were one of the things that was first presented to me when I started playing magic, it is right up my alley and I don't discourage them. I just think that her in the command zone is a liability.

Thanks for making me discover Deathrender thou. Didn't even know this thing existed.

I appreciate your critical eye, and if this were any other deck I would absolutely heed your advice, but I don't really care. Like I said before, I understand that it's a stupid idea to put Phage as my commander. But at this point it's about the theme, or at least its principle. I'm doing it despite knowing it's dumb and bad and fragile. But I saw this card and was inspired by it (also I'm building other, better decks that actually plan to use their leaders to their fullest). It's just a silly theme deck, that's all

And I love Deathrender soooo much. You're most welcome
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 06 Aug 2015, 03:42

Perfect, you know what you are doing.
In this case, i have an excellent suggestion for you:
Endless Ehispers
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... seid=50129

You could sacrifice Phage to just win the game with this enchantment on the field. That was one of the combos I was losing to when I started magic hahaha
Artirian_Legacy
First Video: Friday Nights- Untap

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 06 Aug 2015, 06:51

lazylantern wrote:Perfect, you know what you are doing.
In this case, i have an excellent suggestion for you:
Endless Ehispers
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... seid=50129

You could sacrifice Phage to just win the game with this enchantment on the field. That was one of the combos I was losing to when I started magic hahaha

That's hilarious. I love it. Most certainly a better emergency kill switch in a grindy game. Thanks!
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 06 Aug 2015, 14:00

Oooh good reason to run Phage as commander, the player's battlefield gets exiled after he losed the game so you can chose to return her to the command zone.
Interresting... Are there other "you cant lose the game" effects in black or artifacts?
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 06 Aug 2015, 15:32

If there are any cards that let you swap control of permanents in those colors, you could use the abyssal persecutor and swap it with an opponent's creature.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 07 Aug 2015, 15:35

I think we are onto something here...
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 07 Aug 2015, 15:43

That could work...
Our_O'Boros
First Video: Getting In Touch

Postby Our_O'Boros » 09 Aug 2015, 12:19

A couple of other cards that help casting Phage:

Sundial of the Infinite: cast Phage, end your turn with your loss on the stack.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=228118

Torpor Orb: stops any Enter-the-Battlefield-shenanigans, would also neuter the Endless Whispers-fun, however.
Of course, you don't HAVE to cast both of them... and redundancy is nice, especially in Commander.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=233069
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 10 Aug 2015, 13:36

One of these days I'm going to stop building commander decks, but today is not that day. I've built my Abzan deck, and after a few ides on what to do, I've settled on Enchantments. It's not as great as it could be, and it could really do with Debtor's Knell and Opalescence, but until I have them, this will do. Anafenza is Commander because I don't really have any other options, and the other Abzan/ Dromoka legends are in there because non-existent flavour.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/abzanmen ... der-style/

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Gildan_Bladeborn

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 11 Aug 2015, 16:59

lazylantern wrote:Oooh good reason to run Phage as commander, the player's battlefield gets exiled after he losed the game so you can chose to return her to the command zone.
Interresting... Are there other "you cant lose the game" effects in black or artifacts?

There are a few more cards in black and artifacts with "You don't lose the game" printed on them, but they generally have "from having 0 or less life" printed immediately after those key words (and some horrible downside that triggers when you would otherwise take damage). There is one more card that just blanket stops you from losing though: Lich's Mirror.

Don't actually run that card in your Phage deck (at least not with the idea that you'll use it to cast Phage), as that would be dumb. Avarice Totem on the other hand is a card you could run to enable Abyssal Persecutor shenanigans in those colors, if you were so inclined. You can't just use it mind you, you have to do the "trick" - you get 10 mana and first use the ability and target your own permanent (in this case, the persecutor) with the Totem, then with that on the stack use the ability again and target something an opponent has. You'll swap control of their thing and your totem, and then get your totem back while they get your persecutor.

So it's not exactly straightforward (and if they have 5 open mana they could use the totem themselves to take something from anyone before your first activation resolves and you get it back), but you do get to give them something you don't want and take pretty much anything else you want while retaining ultimate control of the thing letting you do that over and over again, so... your mileage may vary.
Aviator Moonshine

Postby Aviator Moonshine » 19 Aug 2015, 02:43

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-08-15-heavy-metal/

So, I decided I might share, possibly my favorite Deck I own.
It is fun, nasty and unfair all at the same time and I LOVE IT!

It can hold on its own without the commander but does its best when he is in play giving me free artifacts each turn.

It has many fun things it can do, like Turn three Blight steel colossus.You may not see this as fun, but trust me when I say that when one reveals only the top card of ones library with Muzzio and it turns out to be Mr.Blight, then one can't but feel satisfied. Especially when the opponent has just lost all Hope.

Or turn 3 Caged sun, into a turn 4-5 omniscience and then enter the infinite And just win.

It has many ways to make the game fun or unfair, but it is not completely broken. It has been beat by decks that one might expect to loose quite easily.

One of the silliest defeats was due to my blunderings, but when dueling a friends 5-color allstar commander, I played Dissipation field and much to my horror I realized I had made a grave mistake. I forgot it was all damage effects and therefore ended up giving my Friend a infinite combo Victory. He had a Chandra and omniscience in play. :I

Fatal Mistake.

Also, being able to use the name Heavy Metal and have the name being relevant is just too Awesome!

P.S. It's a Blue deck that doesn't win through Control but rather through, like Graham said:
Turning your creatures sideways and Punching them in the Face.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 19 Aug 2015, 06:36

I feel that last sentence, since that's how I made some of the Theros gods decks that I have, most interestingly, the Ephara Aggro deck I made. It's mostly a voltron deck, but it's there with the aggro plan as well: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/epharas-asskicking/
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 20 Aug 2015, 17:05

Hey everyone.
I'm penciling in my ideas for a blog / weekly article for commander that would focus on Theme and budget decks.
So far I'm looking at Spacemarines / chaos spacemarines chapters in Commander (40K is a side hobby of mine since I got that dark angels starter kit at desertbus), very vorthosy and a lot of themes to exploit.
Doctor Who
Anime (attack on titan I'm not a big fan of, but I could do a sick 2 week thing on decks like Ally Vs Eldrazi with the quickly arriving Battle for Zendikar)
H.P Lovecraft's universe
the old Star Wars expanded universe
Basically anything with a fandom that will have a comprehensive wiki (I will need to do research on themes, I know) and I was looking for input

first and foremost; is there a market for this kind of article? I'd read that kind of article but would I be the only person reading my stuff?
2 Do you have suggestions?
Aviator Moonshine

Postby Aviator Moonshine » 20 Aug 2015, 18:36

I'd probably try to check it out.

I'd love to see something like this when it comes to themes as I often have thoughts about wanting to try to make decks themed like some of my fave shows.
I tried MLP but it ended up with so many Pegasuses that I ended up tweaking it into a Pegasi Tribal.

I also want try to make a Dr.Who deck and after reading your post; A Star Wars one.(I also think that you should just look at Star Wars stuff in General and not just the Legends part. I'm sure the New stuff will bring in some cool ideas.)

As for how well it would fare as a "Job", I can't give you a answer for that.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 20 Aug 2015, 18:42

Job; probably not ever. It'll take a lot of tine and effort to get noticed by a publisher and I don't think this would give enough income to quit what I do to become a freelance MtG writter.

I still would like to know if people would read it. I'm penciling in details for my structure and I'll pour a lot of effort. Even if I do this for free forever, I'd like it if it gathers a readership hahaha
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 25 Aug 2015, 04:12

I'm considering building a Selvala, Explorer Returned deck, now that I have reconsidered using either Dromoka as the Commander. One of the best things about Commander has been how much fun and sometimes ridiculous things can get, and I feel like Selvala would help me get there consistently.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 25 Aug 2015, 19:40

You could develop as a grouphug then SURPRISE VOLTRON

(Not saying it is good. I just don't know how Selesnya wins outside of tokens... I may need to explore this for my new blog)
Aviator Moonshine

Postby Aviator Moonshine » 28 Aug 2015, 10:35

lazylantern wrote:-snip-

I'll be sure to share the Blog once it is out.
Base the Selesnya deck on Dragonlord Dromoka like my friend did and just fill it with bunch big creatures and protective cards. Like Asceticism. Ect.

It works pretty darn well. I mean there is a bit more to it then that, but that's literally the best way I think I can describe it.
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 30 Aug 2015, 17:30

I would love some constructive Criticism on deck:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mind-raz ... nder-deck/
Please keep in mind may of the decisions I made for this were to combat my friends gross eldrazi annihilator deck. Also, ignore the fact im not running soul ring. I am going to rectify that.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 30 Aug 2015, 19:15

Swans of Bryn Argoll is illegal in this deck because of the white color identity. Just so you know.

I'd presonally not try to go the mill route, Nekusar himself will kill anyone before you can mill them out.
I get a big "grixis goodstuff" vibe out of your deck, You may want to focus it a bit more in 1 direction or another. If you'd like to go the big beater's way, then Thraximundar may be a better general choice. Nekusar usually is more a "wheel of fortune" route.

You are well set on card draw, but I count only 3 ramp cards. You may want to increase this count. 33 lands may also be a bit low. I'm more a fan of 36-40 myself. Solem Simulacrum could be a nice include in your deck to increase the ramp AND draw count.

If you are fighting against Eldrazi, then you have a good start with Dictate of Erebos. Nothing quite discourages the Anihilator than the prospect of having to sacrifice 3 of his own 'drazis. You could also look at Edict effects to force him to sacrifice his creatures. Ashnod's altar is a good way to ramp and if you have a Dictate in play, it is also removal.
If you need to combat Artifact Ramp, Vandalblast is a good inclusion. You can overload it to kill a a lot of stuff.

Bribery would also teach your friend a lesson, go get one of those eldrazi straight out of his deck and use it against him.

In the end, it is a focus thing. I think your deck is trying to go in too many different directions. If you are having trouble with a deck in particular, I think you should hone your strategy to a fine point and have a lot of redundancy.
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 30 Aug 2015, 19:30

I know about swans. I told everyone else in my playgroup and they were cool. Bribery is on my wishlist, so is sol ring. I recognize I need more ramp.
My main opponents are Eldrazi/Artifacts, and im combating those with Dictate and Hellkite Tyrant, and a gross simic ramp deck. Take Possession is in there so I can grab his Kioras. I know mill can be bad sometimes, but I just love the mechanic so much. And I know some of the cards I'm running are bad, like Enter the Infinite. Thanks.

Edit: So I looked through my binder for ramp cards. I've got:
Mana Cylix, Ur-Golem's eye, Commanders Sphere, Mind Stone, Palladium Myr, Geosurge, Seething Song, Dark Ritual, High Tide, Castle Sengir. I don't know how Castle Sengir got In my binder.

Edit Edit: If I was going to take out 5 cards and put in some more land, what land (less then 10 bucks) would you suggest.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 31 Aug 2015, 03:46

I'd almost just stick basic lands. You current'y are very vulenrable to Ruination and Blood Moon (they may not be present in your meta, but in general, it is a good idea to cover your basis)
You are also covering pretty much all of the good non-basic options for less than 10$. Cabal coffers would be my call but thats a $12+ card

You like Mill options, then my suggestion would be to supplement it with a reanimation package or a stronger grave hate package. If you are using cards for an effect that doesn't affect the board or life totals, there should be some upside for you. Beacon of Unrest is one of my favorite reanimation spell. It can hit artifacts as well as creatures and it shuffles itself back in the deck so it becomes reusable at some point. It stands at about 3 to 4$ at the moment.

Relic of progenitus on the other hand is a way to gain some moderate grave hate until graveyards hit a critical mass at which point you nuke them all and draw a card. Good versus grave decks or to protect your mill plan if one of the old eldrazi titans would be put in a grave and shuffle it back in the deck (crack the relic in response to te trigger)

For your ramp, the commander's sphere and mindstone are both decent because they can be card draw in a pinch. I'd advise against ramp like Dark Ritual as it is not reusable.
On the cheap you can get the 3 guild signets.
Aviator Moonshine

Postby Aviator Moonshine » 31 Aug 2015, 05:56

Enter the Infinite is not A Bad card. You just need to learn to use it properly. I Highly recommend getting Omniscience, for it is one of those spells that makes Enter the Infinite "WORK", like, every-time. It's pretty much just a win condition.
lazylantern wrote:I'd almost just stick basic lands. You current'y are very vulenrable to Ruination and Blood Moon (they may not be present in your meta, but in general, it is a good idea to cover your basis)
You are also covering pretty much all of the good non-basic options for less than 10$. Cabal coffers would be my call but thats a $12+ card

You like Mill options, then my suggestion would be to supplement it with a reanimation package or a stronger grave hate package. If you are using cards for an effect that doesn't affect the board or life totals, there should be some upside for you. Beacon of Unrest is one of my favorite reanimation spell. It can hit artifacts as well as creatures and it shuffles itself back in the deck so it becomes reusable at some point. It stands at about 3 to 4$ at the moment.

Relic of progenitus on the other hand is a way to gain some moderate grave hate until graveyards hit a critical mass at which point you nuke them all and draw a card. Good versus grave decks or to protect your mill plan if one of the old eldrazi titans would be put in a grave and shuffle it back in the deck (crack the relic in response to te trigger)

For your ramp, the commander's sphere and mindstone are both decent because they can be card draw in a pinch. I'd advise against ramp like Dark Ritual as it is not reusable.
On the cheap you can get the 3 guild signets.

Dark Ritual is not the ideal Commander spell, unless were he to get ichoron scepter. sol ring mana into 3B isn't so bad. Although he'd need more 1-2 mana spells if he wanted to put it to any good use.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”