Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
lazylantern
First Video: The "unskippable" with Yatzhee

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby lazylantern » 23 Sep 2015, 08:46

Unrelated to the blog, this will become my first commander control deck:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-09-15 ... are-alive/

Merfolk Wizard flavor inspired by Tolarian Community College.
This is my first control deck, cuts were hard to make and I am threading uncharted territory. is there something obvious I missed?
Last edited by lazylantern on 23 Sep 2015, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
In Brightest day, In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
let those.... ah hell you know the rest
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 23 Sep 2015, 10:16

Your link is dead.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 23 Sep 2015, 11:03

Fixed
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 27 Sep 2015, 13:10

Quick uestion: Suggested amount of land for a Noyan Dar deck?
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 27 Sep 2015, 13:26

My standard amount for any multicolored deck is 38, but for a land focused deck, I'd up that to either 40 or 42, if you really want to have a lot of lands.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Kaorti
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby Kaorti » 02 Oct 2015, 16:31

Hey everyone. Watching Friday Nights and the LRR magic streams got me back into magic. I haven't played the game since Masques block. My friends and I picked up 2014 commander decks, I grabbed the blue deck because I loved the time travel theme. I was hoping to get some help upgrading mine here.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/card-set-archive/commander-2014/peer-through-time

I've only made two tweaks so far - Into the Roil is now Capsize, and Exclude is now Counterspell.

I'd love to add more time travel stuff or to just improve the tools in the deck but I don't know the first thing about deck construction. Please help me out!
DeathNDecay
First Video: I dont remember

Postby DeathNDecay » 03 Oct 2015, 03:52

Hey guys. I posted this marchesa back about half a year ago. After some testing and a few sets being released, I have updated the deck. I would love to hear some feedback from you guys. Suggestions on cards to add, cards to remove, possible combos to add.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-06-15-marchesa-edh

In order to help spur some commentary, here are some notes. Something I have noticed in testing is that I may need to add in Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. I tend to be short on black mana. Through additional testing, though the flip card liliana, heretical healer is a nice card I don't know if she is a good fit here.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 03 Oct 2015, 09:17

Hound of Grislebrand seems like a good idea for this deck, since it's a very efficient card that can be infinitely recurred with Marchesa.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 03 Oct 2015, 09:49

Kaorti: Welcome back to Magic! It depends what kind of a deck you want to make - Teferi's -1 ability (if you're sticking with him as your commander), in particular has a lot of very interesting potential applications, there are several directions you could go with this. Or if you're looking for more flavourful cards - time themed or "take an extra turn" effects, there are plenty of these too - Gatherer or magiccards.info have searchable databases.
Kaorti

Postby Kaorti » 04 Oct 2015, 11:12

fantôme -

Thanks! I'm hoping to stay thematic, with Teferi as my commander. I'd like to work in some "take an extra turn" effects like Time Stretch, but also some more soft control effects like tapping down and bouncing creatures, or ways to recur spells.

I don't want to introduce super-hard lockdown into my deck. I want my friends to enjoy themselves most of the time when we're playing. I am OK with an occasional infinite combo though, if it isn't too janky and doesn't kill the fun for my friends.

I've done a little research on available cards on Gatherer. I'm hoping for help evaluating which cards would work well in my deck, which cards to take out, or how to keep my mana sources and spell costs balanced.

I'm willing to spend some money on cards but nothing extravagant.

Any advice is much appreciated!
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 14 Oct 2015, 11:28

So here's an interesting, after slivers, what's do you think is the best 5-colour tribe to play in commander. Personally, I think it's Allies. They're a pretty though bunch to beat, even if the newer ones aren't as good as the old ones.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 14 Oct 2015, 11:33

Elementals, because they have a 5 color commander
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 14 Oct 2015, 16:07

I finished my deck box for my cRPG deck.

Tacos_yay

Postby Tacos_yay » 14 Oct 2015, 22:43

Possible C15 spoiler:
http://i.imgur.com/bhHB1GQ.jpg

Also sick box Jack Slack.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 14 Oct 2015, 23:53

Thanks! If I had the money I'd get a proper print done so the margins so it wouldn't have the white bars. But failing that, this looks like a computer game box now. I'm very happy about that.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 15 Oct 2015, 09:29

RadioshackRaider wrote:So here's an interesting, after slivers, what's do you think is the best 5-colour tribe to play in commander. Personally, I think it's Allies. They're a pretty though bunch to beat, even if the newer ones aren't as good as the old ones.

For me it would be Scarecrows - partly because Reaper King is really cool looking and can blow lots of stuff up, but mostly because... well, because it's Scarecrows!
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 18 Oct 2015, 17:40

So after all of Alex and Serge's talk of Suici-Black and Pox on TTC, I want to brew a list that'd be great for both Commander and Highlander, which I want to try and get started at my LGS. Any ideas on a commander and cards I need. I already know I want Pox, Smallpox, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Coffers, Death Cloud, Bloodsoaked Champion, Blood Artis and similar cards.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 20 Oct 2015, 01:25

Nether Traitor is a favourite of mine in this kind of deck.

Commanders: In lieu of Braids, you have Anowon and Kuon that fill similar roles. Alternatively, Horobi just turns everything into glass. If you're also going to be blowing up your opponent's resources, Maralen is great for keeping things ticking over.
Kaorti

Postby Kaorti » 20 Oct 2015, 22:30

So in the space of a page, I've gone from "How do I magic?" to "maybe I should try to build a deck." I read a bunch of decklists and spent way too long trying to build something for myself. This is what I came up with:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-plans/

The idea is to put up a few decent blockers and propaganda effects, gain life, turn that lifegain into damage and card advantage, and win with either a sanguine blood/exquisite blood combo, or through incremental life loss.

If anyone feels like looking at it, please let me know if It could be improved or made cheaper.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 22 Oct 2015, 18:19

We were talking about a phage deck some time ago?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2dReYRgN8c
Awesome!
Tacos_yay

Postby Tacos_yay » 24 Oct 2015, 20:01

I saw that Lazy Lantern, it was an awesome game. I would have run Elbrus in that deck too. Also, Eternal Witness was leaked from C15.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 01 Nov 2015, 09:06

So I made Version 1.0 of my Pox deck. I have a huge stack of cards I had to cut that I'll add to the maybe-board later, but for now what are some must haves in this build? I think there's too many creatures, but I don't know how to solve that. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-plague-a-pustule/
SnorriNosebiter
First Video: dont remember

Postby SnorriNosebiter » 01 Nov 2015, 10:40

Hi to you all,

So I made something crazy, which is called a Commander Cube.

The Idea:
The Idea is simple, make a limited commander format. Why? Because it´s awesome! And I can use the cube to build a lot of different decks, which is nice.

How to draft:
First each player gets a pack of 5 commanders. These are drafted as usual, so each person ends up with 5 possible commander.
Only the drafted commander can be used as commanders and only as such. No Griselbrand outside being your commander for example (Trying to balance it a bit with this...and removes some organisation overhand by having the commander in different sleeves)
After that each person gets 6 15 card packs and drafts like usual. Color Identity has to be taken into account when building your deck.
For now I´m thinking about 80-90 card decks + commander. Not completely sure about it yet.

Matches:
The Idea is to have 3 Matches Best of 3. I´m not sure about sideboarding possibilities as they could take quite some time boarding into another commander entirely.

I would love to hear from you guys what you think about it and how I could improve it and what you think in regars to stuff like Sideboarding, Decksize and so on.

Lastly here is the link: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/39481
The commander you can find here: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/39541
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 04 Nov 2015, 10:46

So I am working on a commander deck for the day I will have people around me who play the format. Suggestions are welcome, but do note I don't want to spend loads of money on this deck unless it is very, very crucial:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-04-15 ... suffering/
Kaorti

Postby Kaorti » 04 Nov 2015, 12:04

I'm new to commander but there were a few things I thought of.

1) You seem to have a lot of stuff which trigger on gaining life. Do you have much in the way of reliable life gain?

2) You seem to have two copies of Hero's downfall. I don't think that's legal.

3) You could probably do with a good deal more artifact ramp. Try finding room for a sol ring, a thran dynamo and a couple other mana rocks. I like hedron archive and worn powerstone.

4) How much card draw do you have? The Command Zone podcast people said that we should have about 10% ramp and 10% card draw.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”