Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby LokiTheLiar » 19 Mar 2015, 00:36

The best Sorin in term's of power on Commander is Sorin Markov, but as Atifexe said he can be considered not fun for other players.
While I wouldn't devote as much as 10% of my deck to board wipes, one or two always come in handy.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 19 Mar 2015, 02:49

fantôme wrote:Spooky themed pile:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-03-15-haunted-house/

Suggestions very welcome.

Army of the Damned seems like it would be on theme. Also hilarious.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 20 Mar 2015, 11:12

So I finally finished this pile of junk, and just in time for the pre-release tonight. Man is testing this going to be fun
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blah-bla ... l-you-now/
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 21 Mar 2015, 06:29

Whisper is gorgeous, in. And yes I think my deck does need 26 more zombies, in. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 21 Mar 2015, 06:32

RadioshackRaider wrote:So I finally finished this pile of junk, and just in time for the pre-release tonight. Man is testing this going to be fun

I do love Marchesa decks. I've always wondered - how does her ability interact with Modular creatures?
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 21 Mar 2015, 13:59

I've tried to push my CounterToken deck into a slesnya direction, using Rhys the redeemed.
Though I am still not absolutely happy with it, as it is pretty slow.
But I can't really find anything I can easily see myself cutting (except maybe rings and forge)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/the- ... s-of-rhys/
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 22 Mar 2015, 14:51

Tinkering around my Sydri, Galvanic Genius deck, what do you guys think?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-03-15 ... enius-edh/

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 23 Mar 2015, 02:39

fantôme wrote:
RadioshackRaider wrote:So I finally finished this pile of junk, and just in time for the pre-release tonight. Man is testing this going to be fun

I do love Marchesa decks. I've always wondered - how does her ability interact with Modular creatures?
That depends on how the Modular creature died - in combat, to a sac outlet, burnt out by damage, destroyed... then exactly like you'd expect, because it's a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it at the time of its death. If it's dying due to having 0 toughness because you just moved the last counter on it over to something else, then there's no interaction with Marchesa and it will die and not come back - you can't just distribute all the counters and keep repeatedly bringing them back to do it again, you'd need to leave at least one counter on and kill a modular creature via some other means to make them a "repeatable" source of counters in a Marchesa deck.

Note that if a Modular creature with counters on it dies to say... Black Sun's Zenith while Marchesa was out, it would come back because the creature in that case would hit the yard due to having 0 toughness before the game would otherwise get around to removing a +1/+1 counter for each -1/-1 counter placed on it; a creature needs to actually survive whatever event placed the -1/-1 counters on it for the +1/+1 counters to get removed, so any abilities that check for the presence of +1/+1 counters at time of death will still register them and trigger (or not, in the case of say... Undying) accordingly.
lazylantern
First Video: The "unskippable" with Yatzhee

Postby lazylantern » 23 Mar 2015, 19:09

Hey all. I am really enjoying my Narset deck and with DTK coming out, there will be improvements
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sohei-sentai-jeskaiger/

My nemesis, a Sliver deck and I have been going 50%

The deck is simple, No creature other than Narset herself. Token Generator and ways to make them threatening. Mass removal and some targeted. Card draw to have something do do with the mana after Narset is on the field or if the other players are hateful and use all their mass removal when she is on the table (it tends to happen if you didn't make her indestructible yet)

I have been suggested Bribery, which I approve of. I just don,t know what I will take out for it.
Any other ideas?
I'm purposefully avoiding "take extra turns" cards. Matter of fact, if I can avoid the infinite Aggravated Assault + Sword of famine, I will. Sometimes a game must end thou. I'll never spit on extra activation of Narset thou.
In Brightest day, In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
let those.... ah hell you know the rest
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 23 Mar 2015, 19:29

I heard the commander rules changed but I don't know how or if they have at all yet. Anyone know anything?
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 23 Mar 2015, 19:43

The rule change has more specific wording than what I'm about to use, but in simplest terms: If a commander would leave the battlefield for any reason, you have the option to send it to the Command Zone instead. No exceptions.

That's the change. It used to be a Commander would go into hand or library (often known as tucking), but not anymore.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 23 Mar 2015, 19:59

They still can be returned to a player's hand or to the library, but the player can elect to place it back into the Command Zone, which eliminates "tucking" as a very effective way to remove very problematic Commanders from the game. Bouncing was never that effective, since they can just recast it for face value versus adding to the cost if it's killed, but tucking against a deck that doesn't have tutors was amazingly effective.

With this news, expect cards like Hinder, Spell Crumple, Condemn, Terminus, and the like to see less-relevant play.
Credit to Foxmar
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 23 Mar 2015, 21:09

Son of a bitch, Terminus and Banishing Stroke were super big blowouts in my Brimaz Deck.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 24 Mar 2015, 00:44

Hell, I JUST put Crumple and Hinder in my Roon EDH deck. Now there's really no point. Commanders are here to stay. Just best to put removal after removal after removal until they become too expensive to bring back.

Heaven help us if they decide to redo THAT rule.
Credit to Foxmar
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 24 Mar 2015, 00:48

I really don't like this change or the reasoning behind it. Y'know what encourages tutors? Being a 100-card singleton format. Not tucking. You know what really feels bad? Not having answers to the decks the Spiky players bring, since all that Condemn is doing now is just putting Zur back in the Command Zone. The answers are only in a couple of colors? Welcome to Magic. Here's your slice of the color pie. I mean, fine, sure... Solve the weird manifest corner case. But a lot of the reasoning for these rules changes feels pretty flawed.

Thankfully, I'm getting my cards in the mail from PucaTrade for my first Tiny Leaders deck: Zurgo Deck Wins! So, maybe this will mark a change for me. Like I'll stop carrying my 6 EDH decks with me wherever I go.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 24 Mar 2015, 05:24

Granted, I hate Spell crumple on commanders, mostly because I generally run Selesnya or Naya decks, but I acknowledge the validity of those plays.

I've played against several commanders where tucking was the only hope of anyone else winning.
eostby

Postby eostby » 24 Mar 2015, 11:35

It's because of the tuck rule that I tried to build decks that didn't need the Commander to function. I like the change for me and the playgroup I'm usually battling with, but we didn't have a ton of tuck in the first place.

Also, the "facedown Commander can still deal Commander damage" change seems a bit wonky, and I hope they revisit it in a few months, as the only thing this really seems to encourage is to play a Commander with morph (which is red Akroma and only red Akroma), or something goofy like Ixidron.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 24 Mar 2015, 11:44

The whole tucking this isn't much of a problem for me either. My play group, which has too many judges to be sane, doesn't use them at all aside for Chaos Warp. We tend not to use Commanders who are incredibly problematic (Because Jhoira got beaten into submission) and the only one who is often a major threat on his own is my favoured deck, Krenko, who's been given the solution of steal him from me so I can't make hundreds of indestructible 5/5 with haste and flying. I can't kill stuff in my deck so that's the way to stop me, deny me my main card before he gets out of hand, then use him yourself.

Anyway, I can understand how the tuck thing can be annoying for some, but for it wasn't much of one for me so it's not changing a format that could probably actually do with some major changes.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Mar 2015, 11:48

Most of my MtGO Commander decks don't even use the Commander much. Like about 3 or 4 of them make use of it, but the others are just there for flavor and/or color reasons.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Grimdrome
First Video: Crapshots Ep.23 - The Accusation

Postby Grimdrome » 24 Mar 2015, 13:18

Hey guys I need some help. I don't have a very deep knowledge base for cards or a bunch of money, so I wanted some help building a gaddock teeg deck that can consistently do work for me in my play group. I have a few popular white cards but more than likely I would be buying all the cards I need.(Most of the white cards I have are from the newest white pre-con commander deck) I've done about 10min of googling cheap decks but none of them really stood out to me, and by that I mean $200 is not cheap to me. I'm looking on spending maybe $40-$50, $60 max.
eostby

Postby eostby » 24 Mar 2015, 14:08

Grimdrome wrote:Hey guys I need some help. I don't have a very deep knowledge base for cards or a bunch of money, so I wanted some help building a gaddock teeg deck that can consistently do work for me in my play group. I have a few popular white cards but more than likely I would be buying all the cards I need.(Most of the white cards I have are from the newest white pre-con commander deck) I've done about 10min of googling cheap decks but none of them really stood out to me, and by that I mean $200 is not cheap to me. I'm looking on spending maybe $40-$50, $60 max.

A quick Googling led me to this list (note that it was posted in 2011, so it's pricing/availability will reflect that): http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the- ... ompetitive

If you don't mind not having Teeg as your Commander, I've got a decently good GW Legends deck that builds for around $100, minus whatever you may want to swap in (like Teeg)/already own: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/legends-tribal/

Hope one or both of those helps.

eostby

Postby eostby » 24 Mar 2015, 15:07

OK, quick question of deck power here: I've revised the Shu Yun deck I posted a few pages back, and after someone asked me if I was running Sol Ring in the deck (I'm not, currently), I thought about whether or not I should actually be. I absolutely hate playing against the guy who goes Turn 1 Sol Ring, but it's a very powerful opening.

So, my question is this: Given this decklist (http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-veritable-army/), should I swap something out for Sol Ring? If so, what (and why)?

fantôme

Postby fantôme » 25 Mar 2015, 00:16

Re'ozul wrote:I've tried to push my CounterToken deck into a slesnya direction, using Rhys the redeemed.
Though I am still not absolutely happy with it, as it is pretty slow.
But I can't really find anything I can easily see myself cutting (except maybe rings and forge)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/the- ... s-of-rhys/

Reducing to one hundred can be a difficult process. Perhaps your deck does too much, focus either on tokens or +1/+1 counters. Or streamline your deck to purpose entirely - Adarkar Valkyrie is a great card, but does not specifically benefit your deck.

Be drastic with your cuts, and try a few versions out.

LokiTheLiar wrote:Tinkering around my Sydri, Galvanic Genius deck, what do you guys think?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-03-15 ... enius-edh/

Classic ridiculous wonderful Sydri. How about Scourglass and Dross Scorpion?

lazylantern wrote: Hey all. I am really enjoying my Narset deck and with DTK coming out, there will be improvements http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sohei-sentai-jeskaiger/

My nemesis, a Sliver deck and I have been going 50%

The deck is simple, No creature other than Narset herself. Token Generator and ways to make them threatening. Mass removal and some targeted. Card draw to have something do do with the mana after Narset is on the field or if the other players are hateful and use all their mass removal when she is on the table (it tends to happen if you didn't make her indestructible yet)

I have been suggested Bribery, which I approve of. I just don,t know what I will take out for it. Any other ideas? I'm purposefully avoiding "take extra turns" cards. Matter of fact, if I can avoid the infinite Aggravated Assault + Sword of famine, I will. Sometimes a game must end thou. I'll never spit on extra activation of Narset thou.

There's a lot going on in this deck! With your lone creature plan, I'd be tempted to focus more on auras to make that creature as huge as she can be - and then so Auramancer's Guise, Sage's Reverie, etc.

Grimdrome wrote: Hey guys I need some help. I don't have a very deep knowledge base for cards or a bunch of money, so I wanted some help building a gaddock teeg deck that can consistently do work for me in my play group. I have a few popular white cards but more than likely I would be buying all the cards I need.(Most of the white cards I have are from the newest white pre-con commander deck) I've done about 10min of googling cheap decks but none of them really stood out to me, and by that I mean $200 isnot cheap to me. I'm looking on spending maybe $40-$50, $60 max.

What sort of Teeg deck are you going for?: One specific to abusing his ability, or just a fast G/W cool stuff deck.

eotsby wrote: So, my question is this: Given this decklist (http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-veritable-army/), should I swap something out for Sol Ring? If so, what (and why)?

In multiplayer games, playing good cards is more important than playing cards quickly. Sol Ring is a waste of a card slot, in my opinion.

Specific to your deck, playing an early Sol Ring is a card you could have instead used to later trigger prowess when you have a need to trigger prowess.
Grimdrome
First Video: Crapshots Ep.23 - The Accusation

Postby Grimdrome » 25 Mar 2015, 01:14

fantôme wrote: What sort of Teeg deck are you going for?: One specific to abusing his ability, or just a fast G/W cool stuff deck.

After looking at eotsby's list I'm kind of looking at a "Captain Sisay legends deck, featuring Teeg and enchantments you hate." Over all I'm looking at making a nice multiplayer deck I can bring out when my opponents bring out their boring combo decks. (which is almost always)
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 25 Mar 2015, 09:53

@fantôme tried both Scourglass and Dross Scorpion, didn't like them much, swapped them for Top and Mirrorworks. I want to get an Enlightened Tutor for this deck but I have no idea what to cut

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”