Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby fantôme » 11 May 2015, 02:12

In a complete and lengthy boardstall, I drew Netherborn Phalanx - having almost always previously used it to transmute for my regular win cons, I'd forgotten about it's other ability, which had my opponent on exactly lethal.

Speaking of win cons, I'd like to get you guys' advice on something: I've been wanting to put a simple little combo into my b/w deck as an alternative to my regular - which is damage based, and sometimes doesn't cut the mustard late game when an opponent' s life total combos out of hand.

I was considering Endless Whispers + Phage. Problem is Phage is very vulnerable to flicker effects, and Whispers - whilst okay in my deck with many regeneraters & tokens - doesn't synergise with some other stuff, (notably all-star Coffin Queen).

Is it wise to put something like this in - a stand-alone combo that doesn't necessarily agree with the rest of the deck? Any suggestions for better/funnier ones?
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 11 May 2015, 07:51

I wouldn't advice putting in stand-alone combo in a deck, maybe unless it is a Control deck with few ways to win. It's better if the combo pieces can do something interesting on their own without getting in the way of other cards from your deck. That said, Commander is all about these small weird combos and Endless Whisper + Phage seems really funny, I would like to see someone lose to it :D

If you are playing Teysa, Orzhov Scion in your B/W deck, you can add Darkest Hour and Blasting Station to get a combo win condition that doesn't create a risk of losing when someone blinks one of its pieces.
Other option you have, is to use Basalt Monolith, Rings of Brighthearth and Exsanguinate. It a three card combo, but all of its pieces can be useful on their own.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
asteriskreaper
First Video: friday night - untap

Postby asteriskreaper » 16 May 2015, 19:11

which makes it so much fun!
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." -the Laughing Man
"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey... you should see me in a crown... "-James Moriarty(Sherlock)
DarkTrader
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby DarkTrader » 19 May 2015, 11:45

Hello there I was looking to create a new EDH deck.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Current Decks:
EDH - Experiment Kraj
EDH - Rune-Tail Kitsune Ascendant
EDH - Jhoira of the Ghitu
EDH - Gahiji, Honored-One
EDH - Narset, Enlightened Master
EDH - Child of Alara
EDH - Talrand, Sky Summoner
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 19 May 2015, 12:24

Honestly, I want to see someone try a Kolaghan, Storm's Fury aggro/Dash/Re-animator deck. I think Boltwing Marauder and Ambuscade Shaman could be pretty fun in a deck with lots of ETB triggers/ Haste
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 19 May 2015, 13:55

Oloro Pillowfort seems like a deck that an be really fun. I started to consider building it after the last Bad Matchups Crapshots.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 19 May 2015, 23:58

DarkTrader wrote:Hello there I was looking to create a new EDH deck.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

As a starting point, what's your favourite thing about magic?
NimBalor
First Video: MtG Hat Draft on YouTube

Postby NimBalor » 23 May 2015, 01:03

I recently started on my first EDH deck as well, for me the easiest way to start out was to find a theme I liked, look up cards that fit the theme and from there adjust the list to make it more challenging for your opponents.

Since I make mine with a bit of a budget I don't aim for full competitiveness, hence I called it challenging as I'd like to have fun interactions but also have a few tricks that could either fizzle or just catch people off guard. It does risk having maybe a few dead cards in hand at times, but when you do get to play them out the way you want it is still worth it to me.

Also, have recently begun writing up a draft version for a second list. Instead of starting with a theme, I just took a game strategy I wanted to play. So I'm intending to run Rafiq of the Many, using Exalted as one of the deck's mechanics and am drawing inspiration from Soltari Visionary in using unblockables which trigger an effect once they damage a player.
My Current Decks:
EDH: Riku of Two Reflections - Wolf Tribal
EDH: Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper - Shadowborn Apostle
EDH: Oona, Queen of the Fae - Eldrazi Processing
DeathByCat0618
First Video: LoadingReadyRumble2

Postby DeathByCat0618 » 28 May 2015, 07:54

I'm thhinking of making an EDH deck with my FR Kolaghan. Any suggestions?

P.s. Dragons is not a valid answer.
Remember, even if you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 28 May 2015, 08:57

Sure it is. You're in the perfect colours to run a bunch of token generating sources (Molten Birth, Young Pyromancer, Dragon Fodder, etc), potent tutors (Demonic is my favorite for obvious reasons, but Sidisi and Increasing Ambition are pretty good too), and Conspiracy or Descent of the Dragons or both. Though at that point, I think I'd call the deck "Dragons in Sheep's Clothing" or something like that, and avoid running any actual dragons aside from Kolaghan.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 28 May 2015, 11:31

Alternately, if you don't want to go straight Dragons, you can go all in on Dash stuff, or lots of hasty creatures, or just straight face burn, or all three.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
DeathByCat0618

Postby DeathByCat0618 » 28 May 2015, 11:45

Yeah, I was thinking of making the already existing Standard deck which I call "Barf Burn" and just making that into a Commander deck. Also, can I use Dash to cast it from the Command Zone? And if I do does it go back to the Command Zone at the beginning of my end step. When she dies does her Dash cost go up like normal cost to cast it from Command zone?
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 28 May 2015, 12:04

You may cast Commanders using alternate costs, including morph and dash. The cost continues to increase as normal. Note that this means that playing a Zombie commander with Rooftop Storm will not be infinitely free as you pay 0 as an alternate cost, plus 2 for each time it's previously been cast.

After dashing your Commander, it will be returned to your hand.
DeathByCat0618

Postby DeathByCat0618 » 28 May 2015, 12:32

Thanks
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 30 May 2015, 07:26

Bouncing off of what NimBalor was saying, do you guys have any lesser-known and/or particularly fun multiplayer card interactions? Stuff in your decks, or stuff you've been wanting to try out.
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 30 May 2015, 12:46

I've heard about a pretty interesting interaction between cards that lets you get rid of someone's general forever. You can read about it here

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 06 Jun 2015, 15:29

Exactly how much hate do you think I'd get if I built a Skithiryx Voltron deck? It seems like it'd be better than my current Drana vampire tribal mono black deck (Even though I've never played it)
eostby

Postby eostby » 06 Jun 2015, 15:42

Depends a lot on how your playgroup feels about infect. If they're anything other than completely supportive, you might want to try a different commander.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 06 Jun 2015, 15:48

Some people in my play group despise it, like the judges. Others who play Commander more regularly like to build casual, silly decks. I feel like Skittles would be the perfect combination of unwieldy and stupid and Competitive threat to survive my meta, which includes Diaochan, Muzzio and a Rebel deck regularly.
eostby

Postby eostby » 06 Jun 2015, 17:04

Well, if you think it will work, start with that. If for some reason opinion changes, you could always try Nefarox as another big flyer, but lacking the infect.

RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 06 Jun 2015, 18:03

So I built this with what I had in about an hour, without really looking through my commons/ uncommons http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-06-15-dem-bones/ It seems like it could be fun?
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 07 Jun 2015, 06:03

Oh man, I always wanted to play Skittles in EDH as a general, he looks so cool and is so powerful, but in a 4-player pod, other players would always team up against me. I think it's much better if you are playing 1v1.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
JBRedPhoenix
First Video: Something along the lines of TTC???

Postby JBRedPhoenix » 09 Jun 2015, 21:34

LokiTheLiar wrote:Oh man, I always wanted to play Skittles in EDH as a general, he looks so cool and is so powerful, but in a 4-player pod, other players would always team up against me. I think it's much better if you are playing 1v1.

Skittles is good, he's over the top as a mono black commander. honestly I'd run him in a sultai infect deck with stupid amounts of ways of getting him back, and removal spells...
DeathByCat0618 wrote:I'm thhinking of making an EDH deck with my FR Kolaghan. Any suggestions?

P.s. Dragons is not a valid answer.

Poor Kolaghan got the short end of the good abilities stick, she's got only one relevant ability.

I don't see any way she'd get played.
Something witty goes here...
Current MTG Decks:
Atraxa Superfriends
Opus Thief Breya
Revel In Riches Kess
Big Mana Kruphix
"BICYCLES" Hanna
"Turn Up (Kamen Rider Blade reference)" Kadena

I STREAM! twitch.tv/RedPhoenixCasts
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 10 Jun 2015, 10:34

I'm starting to have problems finding people to play EDH with. At the regular EDH nights at my LGS there are almost only people with stupidly expensive decks I can't compete with unless I spend a couple hundred bucks to buy Force of Will, Mana Crypt and other cards like that. And when I try to play commander on other days with random people in the store I feel bad, because they are mostly new players using precons and the difference in power level between my deck and theirs is significant. I considered building a new deck, but I really love my current one. Does anyone here had a similar problem?

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 10 Jun 2015, 11:26

The distinction between Highlander and Commander has been made before, the former intended to be competitive while the latter casual. Personally I feel that the fundamental trigger of the distinction is that of 1v1 versus multiplayer - simply that in a multiplayer game the biggest threats will be met with the majority of opposition, rendering very powerful decks actually not all that powerful. That is not to say that 1v1 Commander should be entirely replaced by Highlander, I still respect the two as rightfully different entities.

I'm getting off topic.

I've only seen 1v1 played at LGSs, and my old casual playgroup is scattered around the country, opportunities for games are very infrequent - so yes I've been encountering that problem too. The solution: play in a casual environment rather than in a store perhaps? But I know, easier said than done.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”