Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby fantôme » 04 Jul 2016, 23:07

Yup, sure is spider o'clock. That have sweet spidery art, there's about 30 cards to jam straight in - no idea how to spider out the rest of the deck.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 05 Jul 2016, 05:16

Swarmyard lets you regen spiders, and I imagine general hand attack and self-mill would be good.
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 05 Jul 2016, 07:04

Most spiders have big butts, so Toughness focused cards like Assault Formation could also be a place to look.
Also Ishkanah, Grafwidow do have Delirium, so Delirium enablers and other Delirium cards might not be a bad idea to look up.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 10 Jul 2016, 19:50

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jormungand-has-nothing-on-me/
I legitimately can't believe that I never made a Polukranos deck before this.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 14 Jul 2016, 08:08

Sometimes I make utterly ridiculous EDH decks that shouldn't exist, like Jund Lifegain. Challenge me! Like, make an instant and sorcery based deck in Selesnya or something, I don't know.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 14 Jul 2016, 11:05

chetoos wrote:Challenge me!

Mono-black deck with no creatures and at least 60% of the non-land cards must be enchantments.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 14 Jul 2016, 11:08

Hey that's a pretty neat idea, I could go for some challenge-ings too.

Okay, starting off simple: make a mono-red mill deck.

Additionally, for an actual deck I'm building: can anybody recommend some artifact/enchantment tutors or card-draw in white or blue that have cold & ethereal art?

Edit - whoops, looks like Atifexe got in there before me with the challenge.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 14 Jul 2016, 11:16

fantôme wrote:Hey that's a pretty neat idea, I could go for some challenge-ings too.

Okay, starting off simple: make a mono-red mill deck.

My friend actually has one of those, using lots of artifacts, but the mono-black one sounds fun. Erebos as the commander, constellation fun :)
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 14 Jul 2016, 11:22

Erebos is a creature?...
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 14 Jul 2016, 11:42

fantôme wrote:Erebos is a creature?...

Shhhh! Fine, I'll go with Oby Nix.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 14 Jul 2016, 11:56

Atifexe wrote:
chetoos wrote:Challenge me!

Mono-black deck with no creatures and at least 60% of the non-land cards must be enchantments.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/erebosian-enchantress/ Done. >60% enchantment spells, and not one creature spell.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 14 Jul 2016, 15:20

Seems like a perfect excuse to build around Chains of Mephistopheles: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/empty-ha ... ty-hearts/

It's kind of like 8-Rack, but less fun.
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 14 Jul 2016, 18:20

Besides Elbrus, Dark Depths, and Thing in the Ice, does anybody know of any other cards that have similar effects? I'm talking effects where you have to do something to get a powerful creature.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 15 Jul 2016, 07:12

Ludevic's abomination is one that springs to mind.
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 19 Jul 2016, 09:53

Don't quite know if I should post this here or in Judges thread, but here goes. I assume you can have either of Gisela, the Broken Blade or Bruna, the Fading Light as your commander but once they Meld is Brisela, Voice of Nightmares still considered your commander?
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 19 Jul 2016, 11:10

Maro said as much.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 20 Jul 2016, 07:08

I know I really should stop brewing when I've got 3 decks left to build and one to restructure, but I just couldn't resist. I'm sure people here are far more versed in the myriad of odd cards that I'd have no idea about, so I'd appreciate some advice on my Wall-tribal (ish) deck: #MakeDominariaGreatAgain

Key interactions: {Hundred-Handed One + Gift Of Immmortality} & {Wall Of Limbs + Essence Harvest + Dying Wish}
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 30 Jul 2016, 10:04

I did the thing. I almost called this deck Blue's Clues. Almost. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/descendants-of-lycaon/

Key Interactions in here are Vernal Equinox and Geier Reach Bandit and Vernal Equinox and Immerwolf. The ability to flash in creatures is pretty much a must for this deck I feel. It means you can always flip your wolves.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 16 Aug 2016, 08:41

I had the dumbest game of Commander last night. I played a Riku of Two Reflections deck, another played a U/r Spells with Eye of the Storm and another played a Hive Mind group Hug deck. The other decks involved were my omnath deck piloted by a new player, my Vampire deck piloted by someone who had never played paper magic, a G/W Humans deck, a W/B life gain deck and a G/B Spider/delirium deck. Hive Mind was in play when an Epic Experiment for 7 was cast. A Rite of Replication gave everybody an Omnath before the Omnath deck got to do it's 7, which involved a Tempt with Discovery. In one turn, everybody got all the land from their deck in play.That set up some dumb stuff with Riku for me. The Game Ended when and Enter the Infinite was cast, then and Eternal Dominion. The last card in one players deck was Laboratory Maniac, which the player who had never played paper Magic before got, winning him the game after about 3 hours and 7 turns in total. Most of it was the Epic Experiment.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 14 Sep 2016, 05:40

I want to build a new commander deck, but don't have an idea for it. I want a challenge. Someone give me 5-10 cards you want in an EDH deck, preferably not creatures, but sometimes you find weird creatures you want in a deck, and I'll build a deck around them.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 14 Sep 2016, 06:20

You could take the "Unplayable Commander" Challenge. Here's a list of the least played Commanders in a given quantity of players; the challenge is to not only use them as a commander but build a deck that is on theme for them.

Bonus points if you use one that still has the sword and shield symbols in the power/toughness area.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 14 Sep 2016, 06:45

Antitonic wrote:You could take the "Unplayable Commander" Challenge. Here's a list of the least played Commanders in a given quantity of players; the challenge is to not only use them as a commander but build a deck that is on theme for them.

Bonus points if you use one that still has the sword and shield symbols in the power/toughness area.

Well, one of the red ones near the bottom looks really good for a menace deck, and Chandler seems like a good idea to abuse effects that turn things into artifacts.

Edit: Yuan Shao, menacing commander is done! http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yuan-shao-decides/
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 16 Sep 2016, 17:11

I have discovered my mutant ability.
If I play a deck that has havoc fest, I will draw havoc fest. Every. Single. Time.
Time to make a "taking you all with me" deck.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 20 Sep 2016, 13:02

So, thanks to a friend, I'm finally getting the last four shock lands I've been needing to build my Ravnica commander decks. I sorely need help keeping them balanced though. Anyone have ideas on how I can do this and in what sort of direction I could point the decks in?
Artirian_Legacy
First Video: Friday Nights- Untap

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 20 Sep 2016, 17:59

Balanced how, exactly?
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”