Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby WickedBoy6 » 15 Aug 2014, 15:58

Wow. That had to cost a bit of coin. The cheapest EDH deck I have is still $200 or so, and I have 5 of them myself, working on 2 more.
Credit to Foxmar
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 15 Aug 2014, 19:46

Really? Huh. I guess I got lucky with my deck. I've only got the one, and it looks to be about sixty bucks, all told.

...fetch lands, my shapeshifting ass.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 15 Aug 2014, 20:44

Oh, I'm not saying it can't be done. I've seen Pauper EDH decks made for $40 or even a bit less. I just know that EDH can be an expensive format.

...then again, every Standard deck I see is running 4 Mutas, and I NEVER see those under $15 a pop, so...
Credit to Foxmar
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 16 Aug 2014, 05:57

Standard is and will always be a format where money plays most of the time. Not always, but a lot of the time. Especially in my local meta.

Commander, on the other hand, offers a wealth of possibilities. How expensive your deck is mostly depends on what archetype you're in, mana base notwithstanding. For example, I'm building Dimir clone/mind control with Lazav at the helm, and I think the most expensive card in it is around $12.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 16 Aug 2014, 06:23

So I ran Fun for Everyone for the first time.

I Warp Worlded into Knowledge Pool, Confusion in the Ranks, Howling Mine and Infernal Genesis.

Everyone had lots of spells and nobody was prepared to cast anything.

This deck runs better than I'd hoped.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 17 Aug 2014, 08:16

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deck-folders/1 ... edh-decks/
I've been on kind of an EDH kick of late, some of them have planeswalkers as commanders, and I'd like some advice, especially on the doran one.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 17 Aug 2014, 12:50

chetoos wrote:I've been on kind of an EDH kick of late...

Don't worry about it. So am I. I have 2 Standards, 1 Modern, and 5 Commanders, physically working on a 6th, and conceptualizing a 7th.

Anyway, as far as help goes, the first major thing to note is Planeswalkers cannot be Commanders. I know it sounds weird, since the new announcements about this year's Commander decks show that they can be, but only specific ones that SAY they can be planeswalkers can be commanders. The rule is that a Legendary Creature has to be in that slot. However, the exchange should be easy enough. Rwplacing them with the Theros Gods is an easy fix, and pretty in flavor with what you need. Just swap Sarkhan with Xenagos and Gideon with Heliod, and Kruphix is already in the Kiora deck, so that swap is easy.

As far as the Doran deck, it looks solid, but I'm not sure if having over half the deck creatures is the right thing. Especially since there's really only three or so cards that ramp, and you seemingly have little to no removal. The curve is decent, but could be a bit better. I say, playtest it in games - it's the best way to get a feel for the deck - and if it needs it, cut some 5CMC to get that curve lower and add some land searching and spot removal. You're running white, so you have access to some of the best removal in EDH.
Credit to Foxmar
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 17 Aug 2014, 14:47

I understand that planeswalkers can't be commanders, but I was mostly building them for a hypothetical version where planeswalkers are commanders. Thank you for the advice on everything, though
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 17 Aug 2014, 18:59

I'm looking at updating my Ghave deck to make it more consistent. Any suggestions?

chetoos wrote:I understand that planeswalkers can't be commanders, but I was mostly building them for a hypothetical version where planeswalkers are commanders. Thank you for the advice on everything, though

Some playgroups allow Planeswalkers as commanders. It depends on who you play with.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 18 Aug 2014, 03:16

And then someone brings Sorin Markov to one of those groups and they learn their lesson. :p
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Psithief
First Video: Unknown

Postby Psithief » 19 Aug 2014, 20:56

RadioshackRaider wrote:Simple, go with Derevi, because, you know, she's a Bird Wizard.

The Ten Commanders wrote:Soaring above the battlefield, Derevi, Empyrial Tactician, uses cunning strategies to outsmart her enemies. She orchestrates the movements of her great army as they fight invaders who would lay waste to her peaceful lands. Derevi's keen eyes absorb a multitude of factors as she rapidly alters her plan to meet the changing conditions on the ground. Among her devoted followers, Derevi is called the greatest commander the Shards have ever seen. Her brilliant strategy routed the Grixis hordes at the Battle of Split Peak. Her clever diplomacy diverted the Esper Council in their plot against her. Derevi is disciplined but fair, and she evokes loyalty in her soldiers. Always the eye in the sky, this commander outmaneuvers her enemies time and time again.

From The Ten Commanders and also the deck instructions.

A bird wizard you can sacrifice to Seaside Haven.

Fly free, little bird! And then come back to tap something before it's my turn again.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 21 Aug 2014, 17:23

Help me name my Commander deck. Nekusar, the Mindrazor is the commander.
http://deckstats.net/deck-4724441-603d0 ... 75016.html
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 22 Aug 2014, 15:38

Jonci: It seems to be based a lot around draw and discard and negative effects for more drawing. I suggest: Ice Cream Headache.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 22 Aug 2014, 15:40

Also, work in progress, but..

The cRPG Deck.

Turns out there are a LOT of good choice cards out there. This is going to be a 'build massive decklist, whittle' deal.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 22 Aug 2014, 17:00

Maybe the conspiracy guys that let you vote twice, or cause your opponents to lose life if they vote against you
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Postby cuddlyblade » 23 Aug 2014, 12:59

Jonci wrote:Help me name my Commander deck. Nekusar, the Mindrazor is the commander.

I always like seeing other peoples nekusar decks. Apart from a few cards they always seem so different to each other at least to me. Also introduces me to some cards I hadn't considered for mine too which is cool.
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 23 Aug 2014, 16:54

cuddlyblade wrote:
Jonci wrote:Help me name my Commander deck. Nekusar, the Mindrazor is the commander.

I always like seeing other peoples nekusar decks. Apart from a few cards they always seem so different to each other at least to me. Also introduces me to some cards I hadn't considered for mine too which is cool.

Well I can tell you that on its first time out, it was completely crushed by a mono-blue counter-spell deck with Sun Quan as its commander. It was not a fun deck to play against. Even stole my Nekusar with Dominating Licid.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 23 Aug 2014, 16:58

chetoos wrote:Maybe the conspiracy guys that let you vote twice, or cause your opponents to lose life if they vote against you

Eh, I don't wanna push it over too much. Let the choices stand, as with all my decks I'm more interested in creating fun gamestates than I am winning.

I'd like to know some good "Bad stuff happens or I get awesome" red cards for it. I'm weak on red.
Leobwin
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Leobwin » 24 Aug 2014, 14:52

Hello!

I have a basic flavor shell for a Commander deck thus-far, and was wondering if anyone could really help me out with it. I've read a few articles on Commander and are attempting to introduce my playgroup to it, as well as get into it myself.

Currently, the deck I'm trying to build is a deck operating around The Mimeoplasm as a Commander, as Necra is my favorite tri-color combination. I'll just post what I have so far. As with all Commander decks, I'm going with flavor over versatility/playability, and would like to keep it on the cheaper end, if at all possible.

So that's the deck so far! It's really not very finished, I've found everything I can think of relating to slimes or oozes, and gone to Gatherer and searched up oozes, but I admit my grasp of the older cards is very bad as I'm just starting to get into Commander and only started playing the game around the end of Return to Ravnica, with spotty attendance through Theros (the teenager in me had the "this game sucks and I hate it" mentality. Really loved hearing Cam talk about that on the Tap Tap Concede Sideboard Hour). Obviously, as with most commander decks, I'm going for flavor over just straight good cards. Any and all help I can get is appreciated, I'll update the deck list as I find things or people suggest stuff. As with the list, it is not final, just a collection of all the cards in the deck so far.
Last edited by Leobwin on 25 Aug 2014, 07:04, edited 2 times in total.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 24 Aug 2014, 16:35

I like the way you've taken the flavour of ooze even into the instants with stuff like abrupt decay. Feels very oozy.

You could add in Bubbling Muck? That's my first thought.

(OH! And Muck Drubb!)
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 24 Aug 2014, 16:39

JackSlack wrote:Also, work in progress, but..

The cRPG Deck.

Turns out there are a LOT of good choice cards out there. This is going to be a 'build massive decklist, whittle' deal.

Any more advice? All welcome.
Leobwin
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Leobwin » 25 Aug 2014, 07:00

JackSlack wrote:I like the way you've taken the flavour of ooze even into the instants with stuff like abrupt decay. Feels very oozy.

You could add in Bubbling Muck? That's my first thought.

(OH! And Muck Drubb!)

Appreciate it! I'm trying to make my deck as flavorful as possible, and Bubbling Muck is definitely going in. I hadn't thought of the Bubbling cards (Bubbling Cauldron and Bubbling Beebles being the other two), and they'll both make an appearance at least in the rough draft. Muck Drubb is just a sweet card, and the name itself definitely sounds very oozy, even if the art doesn't really seem like it (can you say altered art time?). Thanks for the suggestions!
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 26 Aug 2014, 04:27

So after opening some Conspiracy yesterday, I'm going to attempt my first mono coloured deck, Heartless Hidetsugu. It's all due to the realization that him plus Diictate of the Twin Gods equals insta-death.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 26 Aug 2014, 05:12

Remember that Heartless Hidetsugu also hurts yourself
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 26 Aug 2014, 06:15

Ah, right. Still a nuclear deterrent.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”