Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby RadioshackRaider » 16 Apr 2015, 19:12

So I finished a little project I've been waning to finish. Surrak Dragonclaw with only creatures and land in the deck. Sadly it won't pair with my now planned Jeskai deck that doesn't run creatures as I'm not going to play Narset as my general, but hey, I need one silly deck like this.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/temur-through-the-ages/
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 20 Apr 2015, 11:08

Managed to finally buy a Damia, Sage of Stone and I really want to build an EDH deck with her as the commander but I really don't know how to build it. I know for sure that I don't want it to be focused around combo, because I already have a combo deck. I can surely just put all the staples in Sultai colors together and call it a deck, but I would like to make it interesting. Has anyone here had any experience with Damia as a commander and can give me some tips?
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 20 Apr 2015, 12:35

Most Damia decks I've seen are just hardcore control to take advantage of her draw power, maybe with a combo finisher. Counters, kill spells, board wipes, discard... usual U/B/G control stuff.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 20 Apr 2015, 12:45

You can also build a tribal deck around Damia. I know someone who attempted that at one time (for Wizards). Gorgon tribal is probably less exciting, but I'm sure you could make it work.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
lazylantern
First Video: The "unskippable" with Yatzhee

Postby lazylantern » 20 Apr 2015, 14:37

Commander is my favorite format for giant over the top spells that cost a zillion mana
Damia could allow for some interesting Villainous Wealth Shenanigans.
I don't know much about Sultai in Commander. It is an interresting color combination.
In Brightest day, In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
let those.... ah hell you know the rest
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 20 Apr 2015, 20:12

Damia, Sage of "I'll Play what He's Playing."

A deck built around duplicating things other people play, only making them bigger and better. You don't have red's spell duplication, but blue is decent in that regard. Cards like Master Biomancer let you make your stuff bigger, even when it's just a duplicate of their stuff(added bonus: sticking a Followed Footsteps on a Master Biomancer quickly gets out of hand). Black gives you some graveyard recursion so that you can pull back any of your key creatures (Phyrexian Metamorph, Quicksilver Gargantuan, etc). Dipping into artifacts could give you Soul Foundry and/or Prototype Portal for your mass production needs.

Basically, a token spam deck that tries to only ever make tokens of creatures that are already in play. For a coup de grace, consider Clone Army.

I've been thinking about making this sort of deck for a while, though I was debating doing it in Temur with Riku as the commander. It's been done, I have no doubt, but I still think it'd be fun to build.
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 21 Apr 2015, 10:50

I just really want the deck not to be based around any specific card combo or even have a very focused theme. I want it to be kinda like a multitool I guess? I'm also a huge spike so I want to be able to do powerful things. I looked at multiple lists and I think I will build it a little bit like the Sultai Whip deck in Standard. A little bit of control, a little bit of reanimator, a little bit of interesting interactions, a whole lot of value.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 21 Apr 2015, 11:46

So I wanna make a Karn Kommander deck AND I managed to get a mana base set up for it. The problem now is that I don't know what to do with it.

Suggestions?
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 21 Apr 2015, 13:13

You can run Mycosynth Lattice for land destruction. Also tons of mana ramp and all the good colorless guys you can find and afford. The mana rocks can serve double purpose as haymaker if you need. Kuldotha Forgemaster to find specific cards. Krark Clan Ironworks or other way to sac artifacts plus Spine of Ish Sah for reusable permanent removal. Combined with Basalt Monolith and Rings of Brighthearth gives you infinite destruction. Jung Diver and Myr Retriever to reuse your artifacts. Also since you are running Buried Ruin you can use Crucible of Worlds too. Maybe combine it with something nasty like Mindslaver? Mirrorworks just for fun. Some steel beef would be nice too, for example Wurmcoil Engine, Batterskull, Steel Hellkite, Myr Battlesphere. Depending on how you want to interact with other players you can also run taxing effects like Winter Orb, Static Orb, Trinisphere or even Smokestack.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 21 Apr 2015, 17:24

I caved and bought cards for the first time. The 2015 core set. I think I made a pretty decent lifegain/creature growth EDH deck running green/white/black.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 21 Apr 2015, 19:19

ElFuzzy wrote:So I wanna make a Karn Kommander deck AND I managed to get a mana base set up for it. The problem now is that I don't know what to do with it.

Suggestions?

Well, this is what I ended up doing: Still Karn't Think Of A Good Name It depends on what flavour of colourless you're looking for. :P
DeathNDecay
First Video: I dont remember

Postby DeathNDecay » 29 Apr 2015, 03:15

Hey guys. I am working on a Goblin EDH deck and wondered if you had any suggestions. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-04-15-krenko-edh/
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 29 Apr 2015, 09:48

You should cut the one shot burn spells, they aren't very good in EDH. You could swap them for some artfacts that work good with Krenko, for example Ring of Brighthearth or Illusionist Bracers. Chancellor of the Forge would be a good addition to your deck too.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
DeathNDecay

Postby DeathNDecay » 29 Apr 2015, 16:25

Based on your suggestions I made a few changes. I still need to cut about 12 cards, and I have a lot in the maybeboard that looks fun.
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 29 Apr 2015, 21:34

You could use some ramp too. Sol Ring, Solemn Simulacrum, Burnished Hart, Myriad Landscape. From you maybeboard Burn at Stake, Eldrazi Monument and Goblin War Strike are great cards for this kind of deck. You could probably make great use Coat of Arms

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
DeathNDecay

Postby DeathNDecay » 30 Apr 2015, 14:50

I dont know if i agree with needing ramp. Compared to most EDH decks, i have a very low ceiling on mana needs. will take your other suggestions into account but I need to cut cards at this point!
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 01 May 2015, 06:01

DeathNDecay wrote:Hey guys. I am working on a Goblin EDH deck and wondered if you had any suggestions. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

This deck looks like a lot of fun, and sorry but - more suggestions for additions than for cuts:

Add,

Arms Dealer (throw goblins at things)
Goblin Rabblemaster (not sure if the "must attack" clause will be an issue, depends how much of a wall your opponents are likely to have)
Warbreak Trumpeter (more goblins)
Magewright's Stone (more krenko)
Thousand-Year Elixir (more krenko)
Goblin Assault (see Rabblemaster)
Goblinslide (you'll get at least some value out of this, depends what your ratio of goblins/goblin-making-spells ends up as)
Mogg Infestation (double your goblins)

Cut,

Adder-Staff Boggart
Goblin Glider

(they don't really do much on their own).
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 01 May 2015, 08:32

fantôme wrote:
DeathNDecay wrote:Hey guys. I am working on a Goblin EDH deck and wondered if you had any suggestions. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

This deck looks like a lot of fun, and sorry but - more suggestions for additions than for cuts:

Add,

Arms Dealer (throw goblins at things)
Goblin Rabblemaster (not sure if the "must attack" clause will be an issue, depends how much of a wall your opponents are likely to have)
Warbreak Trumpeter (more goblins)
Magewright's Stone (more krenko)
Thousand-Year Elixir (more krenko)
Goblin Assault (see Rabblemaster)
Goblinslide (you'll get at least some value out of this, depends what your ratio of goblins/goblin-making-spells ends up as)
Mogg Infestation (double your goblins)

Cut,

Adder-Staff Boggart
Goblin Glider

(they don't really do much on their own).

As someone who also has a Krenko deck, I wouldn't recommend Rabblemaster. The must attack is something that deck does not want to do. I would recommend Generator Servant. It's not a Goblin, but it is disgusting with Krenko. I've had people concede when I turn 3 Krenko using the Servant to give him haste
Puls3evo
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Puls3evo » 02 May 2015, 16:05

I have been playing Magic for three years, and since I started I've always played EDH. It's by far the format I play the most (having gotten over the Standard phase most of us go through about a year ago), and through it all I've always some version of the deck I'm going to post.

Welcome, to the Boros Legion. Aurelia's Combat Training

The goal of this deck has changed many times. At first, it was just run all of my best cards, which happened to be red and white. Then, it was Angel/Human tribal. Now, I have the silly idea of trying to get as many combat steps as possible, killing my opponents before they reach a decent board state. That being said, it's always been more of a dueling deck than a multiplayer deck, with my intention and best plays being directed at eliminating a single player. I've tried to make it more viable for multiplayer with board sweeps and global effects, but at the end of the day I just love having a good race with people. Honestly I think I want to play Highlander whenever I play with this deck, instead of EDH.

Highlights:

Aurelia: The magical Christmas-land sequence would be Sol Ring->Angel Automaton->Silverblade->Balefire->Aurelia Swing for 20 General turn 5. I've been there once, and it was silly. At 6 CMC, she's just a powerhouse if I have any Lords or buffing effects out at all.

Cathar's Crusade / True Conviction: These two enchantments have always been in my deck as win setups. Cathars' goes well with my token generators, and Conviction begs me to attack every turn, which is what I want to do anyway.

Armageddon: This card is controversial in this deck, even for me. On the one hand, I've pulled of the Armageddon / Avacyn combo enough times where I never want to take it out. On the other hand, I've never played it except in that set up. I think this might be one of the first cards I replace when I acquire the cards I'll talk about below.

Gisela: She used to be my general, and she throws combat math out the window when she comes down. I opted for Aurelia because of her lower cost and better synergy with the deck of the deck, but getting both of these Angels out... someone usually loses quickly (Hint: Gonna get target painted).

Humans: The angels are my win con, but my supporting cast of Humans always hold their own on the ground. I have no way to tutor in the deck, but I will usually get Mentor of the Meek and enough 2 power dudes to make him an effective draw engine. This also might be why I have a token sub-theme, and then I added the Lords and synergies later...

In short, this deck wants to fight you 1v1 IRL (I don't have a MTGO version, only paper). I'm looking to add a Sword of Feast and Famine to combo with Hellkite Charger, and maybe Purphoros to add another layer to the token side of the deck, and maybe have a conversion kit to go fully angel tribal if I ever get my hands on a Heavenly Inferno pack. Sadly, I am a poor college student who is trying to move in with his friends, so I won't be able to go on a buying spree anytime soon.

I am very welcome to suggestions for additions and cuts, especially with tips on how to be more multiplayer-oriented. I also hope that I can play some of you in the future with this deck, because this community is awesome.
Puls3evo on almost everything.
Current MTG Decks: EDH Aurelia's Combat Training
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 04 May 2015, 13:42

So I'm having a little trouble. I'm building a Land Matters deck where I want all my Lands to end up[ as creatures. I'm obviously going to be running tonnes of ramp spells, but I'm not sure how to go about my goal. I know I will also need Crucible of Worlds at some point. I'm choosing Naya as the colours with Rith, the Awakener as the commander (I could use Marath but he's currently my Tiny Leader). Anybody have any helpful tips?
eostby

Postby eostby » 04 May 2015, 14:44

Fetchlands (including Evolving Wilds, Naya Panorama, etc); Landfall creatures/spells; Nissa, Worldwaker; and some spell duplicating effects like Reverberate. Those are the best suggestions I can come up with off the top of my head.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 04 May 2015, 14:49

@Puls3evo,

I think the most amusing way to win multiplayer games would be to streamline your deck to your game plan to the point where you can deal lethal damage to everyone on one turn:

- more combat: Waves of Aggression, Savage Beating, there's about a half a dozen more.

- more Gisela: Overblaze, Furnace of Rath, Avatar of Slaughter, etc.

- more ramp.

@RadioshackRaider,

So if you want to be really degenerate there is Living Plane + Scouring Sands. There are also a bunch of Living Plane type effects that just affect your lands - Natural Emergence, Nature's Revolt, Life and Limb, Living Lands. And then so Terra Eternal, Sacred Ground and Earth Surge are obvious inclusions. Also Bear Umbra, Nature's Will, etc. White has enchantment tutors, Green has land tutors. And maybe even Hazezon Tamar as your commander.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 09 May 2015, 12:44

So I played some Commander last night with some friends. I got to test drive my Allies deck and it won against 2 Tasigur decks. It won in the exact way it isn't supposed to and used Maze's End to pull all the Gates out. Anyone else win a game of EDH in a way your deck isn't supposed to?
eostby

Postby eostby » 09 May 2015, 13:40

I always try to give my decks a backup plan for victory, no matter how unlikely it should be to pull off, just in case my primary plan goes completely off track for some reason. It's been things as "easy" as putting Helix Pinncle in my Kruphix deck, and as tough as putting Biovisionary and some Clone effects into my Mimeoplasm deck. I'm not sure if my backup win has ever actually been needed, but they're in there for a reason.

LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 09 May 2015, 14:22

I won with my Sydri combo deck once just swinging in with Sydri for commander damage. The 11 turn clock is so OP.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”